Eating more later in the day?

Options

Replies

• TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    TravisGM92 wrote: »
    And for the record I didn't tell anyone to not eat sugar or carbs...
    Oh really?
    Other than that, it is scientifically known that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat even MORE sugar or carbs. So, I have to ask, what do you eat for breakfast? If it has sugar then that could be your problem. Try eating more complex carbs with a good amount of protein (oatmeal and eggs, scrambled eggs, omelets, low carb milk and high protein cereal, etc.)

Sugar is the devil. We don't need sugar and it's been known to be just as addictive as cocaine:

Wanna rephrase anything? Or you just gonna back peddle more or say we were just hallucinating the comments of yours that I just quoted about sugar being evil. So if you say sugar is evil it means eat all you want?

Again, not telling anyone to NOT eat sugar. What part of that did I advise/tell/command/suggest/whatever the OP to not eat sugar? I said if their breakfast has sugar, that may be their problem. That DOES NOT MEAN DO NOT EAT SUGAR!

And the sugar is devil thing was taken from a response to someone else. Again, not considering context. I explained what I meant by "sugar is the devil" right after: WE DON'T NEED SUGAR AND IT'S BEEN KNOWN TO BE JUST AS ADDICTIVE AS COCAINE. <<

You said, I quoted you not someone else, you said
    Sugar is the devil. We don't need sugar.

I'm pretty certain anyone who reads the English language is going to read that exactly as being an "advise/tell/command/suggest/whatever" to not eat sugar. Maybe you weren't aware that's how the English language works.

Yes, I did say that. I didn't deny saying that, I said I said it in response to someone else. Learn to read that.

Secondly, what I meant by that (which I explained later) was that it's not required in any diet to be healthy. That doesn't mean DON'T eat sugar.

Lastly, you're just jumping to conclusions that I haven't said. I've clarified all of my intentions on here multiple times yet people such as yourself think I said "don't eat sugar" or "it's not true that carbs cause more hunger"-- yet I've provided both clarification AND sources to back each. Back peddling? I'M back peddling? HA! Do you know what that means?

I've been clarifying other peoples issues again and again because apparently people like yourself can't/don't read the previous posts that I've already explained. I'M simply responding to people's accusations. Everyone keeps back peddling MY claims.
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    TravisGM, I'm with you. I think all the sugar in their diets, correlated with their inability to understand your point, is clear anecdotal evidence that sugar is the devil.

Now sugar makes us stupid? I understand most of his points. I just don't agree with them. I don't believe sugar is evil, nor do I believe carbs make people hungrier.

You're right. But particular carbs increase cravings though, it's no secret. 9 times out of 10 I'm likely to want another cookie if I eat one.

What does that have to do with "carbs"? A cookie is about half fat. Many people have trouble moderating specific highly-palatable trigger foods, especially if they haven't had much practice in doing so and have bad habits or various other food issues built up over time.

Lots of fruits and veg, or even foods like sweet potato or chickpeas are likely a higher percentage carbs than the cookie.

A cookie is half fat? That's one hell of a generalization. And you're missing the point. They were trying to say that when they eat simple carbs (like the ones in cookies) they want to eat more simple carbs. Show me a study where people ate fat and wanted to eat more fat as a result.

People on here are either blind to science or just don't like people who bring up sugar! haha my goodness!
    TravisGM, I'm with you. I think all the sugar in their diets, correlated with their inability to understand your point, is clear anecdotal evidence that sugar is the devil.

Now sugar makes us stupid? I understand most of his points. I just don't agree with them. I don't believe sugar is evil, nor do I believe carbs make people hungrier.

You're right. But particular carbs increase cravings though, it's no secret. 9 times out of 10 I'm likely to want another cookie if I eat one.

What does that have to do with "carbs"? A cookie is about half fat. Many people have trouble moderating specific highly-palatable trigger foods, especially if they haven't had much practice in doing so and have bad habits or various other food issues built up over time.

Lots of fruits and veg, or even foods like sweet potato or chickpeas are likely a higher percentage carbs than the cookie.

A cookie is half fat? That's one hell of a generalization. And you're missing the point. They were trying to say that when they eat simple carbs (like the ones in cookies) they want to eat more simple carbs. Show me a study where people ate fat and wanted to eat more fat as a result.

People on here are either blind to science or just don't like people who bring up sugar! haha my goodness!

Quit saying people are blind to science. It's exhausting, and you're reaching. It reminds me of a tribe in Africa that says to the women that their brains are smaller and "it's only science!". Because if you say it like that, it must be true! Eye roll.

Following you derail this whole thread is astounding. You have back peddled so much, it's obvious you have a problem being wrong. I followed Atkins for 10 years, because of people like you providing opinions posing them as "science". 10 years! Literally afraid to eat carbs. I never once felt like a normal person that entire time. And it has taken me years to reprogram myself that it's CICO, and I can eat anything that fits into my calories. And I did gain in HFLC. Why? Because it was over my TDEE.

Your links are inconclusive. They don't specifically point to carbs or sugar, and using a food group with other macros doesn't single out carbs or sugar causing you to eat more or become addicted. I eat less now that I have a balanced diet. I feel more satiated because all those needs and wants are met. It's more satiating for me. Not to mention I don't have disordered eating product of some obsession over a gram of carbs or sugar touching my lips. See how that works. I said "for me". So when you want to preach about hunger and "knowing what the culprit is", have the decency to say that's what works for you! Instead of brainwashing people with nonscience/nonsense.

The science is easy without you contorting it. Protein and fat has satiating qualities, to increase your protein/fat reduces the risk of eating more calories than you need. Less calories= deficit= weight loss. Don't tell people not to eat carbs or sugar, or that it will increase their hunger because that is not true. Recommend increasing protein and fat. At least then we could move on from this train wreck.

So you're just gonna disregard my sources and support? Haha alrighty... if you want more techniques to losing fat other than counting calories which seems like most people on this thread are, let me know.

And I just have to add.. I think it's funny that I'm providing links and sources to an idea that carbs COULD increase hunger. Lyle McDonald, a very respected, scientific source, knows just as well as I do that it's a heavily debated topic. Meaning, there's currently evidence for both sides. You say "don't tell people that carbs increase hunger cause it's not true" show me the evidence. Show me the science and I'll stop posting on here.

Oh, and by the way, personal experience doesn't count.

My personal experience, like anyone's, only matter when we say "this is my personal experience". Which is what I did. You however are too foolish to speak for yourself. You have to pretend that it's "scientifically known".... Your quote-

"Other than that, it is scientifically known that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat even MORE sugar or carbs. So, I have to ask, what do you eat for breakfast? If it has sugar then that could be your problem. Try eating more complex carbs with a good amount of protein (oatmeal and eggs, scrambled eggs, omelets, low carb milk and high protein cereal, etc.)"

Such a joke. It is NOT "scientifically known". So you're not "for the record" telling people not to eat sugar or carbs, just that they're addicting (same thing). Which is what everyone has a problem with. So like the other poster recommended, LET IT GO.

Then what do you call this? >> http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/06/26/ajcn.113.064113.abstract
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh really?
    Other than that, it is scientifically known that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat even MORE sugar or carbs. So, I have to ask, what do you eat for breakfast? If it has sugar then that could be your problem. Try eating more complex carbs with a good amount of protein (oatmeal and eggs, scrambled eggs, omelets, low carb milk and high protein cereal, etc.)

Sugar is the devil. We don't need sugar and it's been known to be just as addictive as cocaine:

Wanna rephrase anything? Or you just gonna back peddle more or say we were just hallucinating the comments of yours that I just quoted about sugar being evil. So if you say sugar is evil it means eat all you want?

As I was reading the whole thread, there were so many examples of this that its hard to keep track.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Oh really?

Again, not telling anyone to NOT eat sugar. What part of that did I advise/tell/command/suggest/whatever the OP to not eat sugar? I said if their breakfast has sugar, that may be their problem. That DOES NOT MEAN DO NOT EAT SUGAR!

And the sugar is devil thing was taken from a response to someone else. Again, not considering context. I explained what I meant by "sugar is the devil" right after: WE DON'T NEED SUGAR AND IT'S BEEN KNOWN TO BE JUST AS ADDICTIVE AS COCAINE. <<

You said, I quoted you not someone else, you said
    Sugar is the devil. We don't need sugar.

I'm pretty certain anyone who reads the English language is going to read that exactly as being an "advise/tell/command/suggest/whatever" to not eat sugar. Maybe you weren't aware that's how the English language works.

Yes, I did say that. I didn't deny saying that, I said I said it in response to someone else. Learn to read that.

Secondly, what I meant by that (which I explained later) was that it's not required in any diet to be healthy. That doesn't mean DON'T eat sugar.

Lastly, you're just jumping to conclusions that I haven't said. I've clarified all of my intentions on here multiple times yet people such as yourself think I said "don't eat sugar" or "it's not true that carbs cause more hunger"-- yet I've provided both clarification AND sources to back each. Back peddling? I'M back peddling? HA! Do you know what that means?

I've been clarifying other peoples issues again and again because apparently people like yourself can't/don't read the previous posts that I've already explained. I'M simply responding to people's accusations. Everyone keeps back peddling MY claims.

Are you trying to say that I made you say that sugar is the devil?

<baffling thread is baffling>

• TravisGM92
    Options
    Oh really?

Sooo... saying it's the devil and just as addictive as cocaine is not to tell them not to eat it?
    How much cocaine should I take per day?

I wouldn't advise taking any cocaine. Or sugar. Or MSG. All of which are edible, none of which are required for a healthy diet.
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Sugar promotes the urge to eat more sugar? This is 'scientifically known?' Please provide us your sources for this claim.

Also sounds like the OP already eats a good, healthy breakfast.

Sugar is not the devil. ;)

Sugar is the devil. We don't need sugar and it's been known to be just as addictive as cocaine: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/23/is-sugar-more-addictive-than-cocaine.aspx, also: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/#2275a5184b7b.

As for the claim that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat more sugar; https://authoritynutrition.com/how-sugar-makes-you-addicted/.

I can provide more citations if needed.

Mercola? Authority (not) nutrition? Nope nope nope nope. Come on now....

Sugar is not evil. Sugar does not prevent weight loss. And BS it is as addictive as cocaine. I've worked with addicts throughout the years and I fond this comparison absolutely appalling, hurtful, disgusting....

My almost 100lbs weight loss proves that sugar does not cause weight gain or addiction to carbs. Who starting that crock of crap anyway? I ate 'clean' vegetarian for years and I was at my worst weight. My blood tests were awful, so yeah....

1. You are taking it out of context.
    2. The point of saying sugar has shown in studies to be addictive (whether or not more than drugs), is an important point.
    3. Mercola as an authority? Maybe not. But the study is real.
    4. There is another study I cited that showed that eating carbs made people want to eat more carbs. Sugar are carbs...

The other study you posted matched calorie and macronutrient intake. They were comparing the GI of the entire meal, not the amount of carbohydrate.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/06/26/ajcn.113.064113.abstract

"Design: With the use of a randomized, blinded, crossover design, 12 overweight or obese men aged 18–35 y consumed high- and low-GI meals controlled for calories, macronutrients, and palatability on 2 occasions. The primary outcome was cerebral blood flow as a measure of resting brain activity, which was assessed by using arterial spin-labeling functional magnetic resonance imaging 4 h after test meals. We hypothesized that brain activity would be greater after the high-GI meal in prespecified regions involved in eating behavior, reward, and craving. "

As shown in
    Table 1, both test meals were composed
    of similar ingredients and had the same macronutrient distri-
    bution (ProNutra Software, version 3.3.0.10; Viocare Technol-
    ogies Inc).

You cannot claim that the differences in hunger were related to the number of carbohydrates as that wasn't what was tested.

Yes, that's true. Do you know what contributes to high glycemic numbers? High blood sugar numbers. Do you know what increases blood sugar numbers? Carbohydrates.

As the study itself says: Conclusions: Compared with an isocaloric low-GI meal, a high-GI meal decreased plasma glucose, increased hunger, and selectively stimulated brain regions associated with reward and craving in the late postprandial period, which is a time with special significance to eating behavior at the next meal.

Hmmm....

The study you linked does not support your claim, period.

It is NOT a measure of carbohydrate content, it's a comparison of the GI of an entire meal of mixed macronutrients.

Additionally, how do you explain these findings where the highest satiety food item is a high GI carbohydrate?

https://www.ucsyd.dk/fileadmin/user_upload/om_uc_syddanmark/dokumenter/marianne_markers_kursus_NRO/110228_Holt et al Satiety index.pdf

Yes, as you've said before and I addressed recently. Do you know what high GI means?
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    I'm not sure how many times I'm gonna have to repeat this... but here it is again. A reputable, scientific source that also KNOWS that "carbs cause more hunger" as a big, debated issue.>> http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-have-no-metabolic-advantage-over-nonketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html/
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Wow. This thread is...... Kind of absurd. If you are going to make a claim, be sure you are first 1-able to back it up and 2-don't back peddle when people call you out on it.

You clearly said sugar is the devil and not good for us. How you can think that would be interpreted any other way is baffling to say the least.
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Sugar promotes the urge to eat more sugar? This is 'scientifically known?' Please provide us your sources for this claim.

Also sounds like the OP already eats a good, healthy breakfast.

Sugar is not the devil. ;)

Sugar is the devil. We don't need sugar and it's been known to be just as addictive as cocaine: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/23/is-sugar-more-addictive-than-cocaine.aspx, also: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/#2275a5184b7b.

As for the claim that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat more sugar; https://authoritynutrition.com/how-sugar-makes-you-addicted/.

I can provide more citations if needed.

Mercola? Authority (not) nutrition? Nope nope nope nope. Come on now....

Sugar is not evil. Sugar does not prevent weight loss. And BS it is as addictive as cocaine. I've worked with addicts throughout the years and I fond this comparison absolutely appalling, hurtful, disgusting....

My almost 100lbs weight loss proves that sugar does not cause weight gain or addiction to carbs. Who starting that crock of crap anyway? I ate 'clean' vegetarian for years and I was at my worst weight. My blood tests were awful, so yeah....

1. You are taking it out of context.
    2. The point of saying sugar has shown in studies to be addictive (whether or not more than drugs), is an important point.
    3. Mercola as an authority? Maybe not. But the study is real.
    4. There is another study I cited that showed that eating carbs made people want to eat more carbs. Sugar are carbs...

The other study you posted matched calorie and macronutrient intake. They were comparing the GI of the entire meal, not the amount of carbohydrate.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/06/26/ajcn.113.064113.abstract

"Design: With the use of a randomized, blinded, crossover design, 12 overweight or obese men aged 18–35 y consumed high- and low-GI meals controlled for calories, macronutrients, and palatability on 2 occasions. The primary outcome was cerebral blood flow as a measure of resting brain activity, which was assessed by using arterial spin-labeling functional magnetic resonance imaging 4 h after test meals. We hypothesized that brain activity would be greater after the high-GI meal in prespecified regions involved in eating behavior, reward, and craving. "

As shown in
    Table 1, both test meals were composed
    of similar ingredients and had the same macronutrient distri-
    bution (ProNutra Software, version 3.3.0.10; Viocare Technol-
    ogies Inc).

You cannot claim that the differences in hunger were related to the number of carbohydrates as that wasn't what was tested.

Yes, that's true. Do you know what contributes to high glycemic numbers? High blood sugar numbers. Do you know what increases blood sugar numbers? Carbohydrates.

Hmmm....

tumblr_o7zx4o8kqN1vqcmggo1_1280.png

That actually made me laugh hahaha
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Quit saying people are blind to science. It's exhausting, and you're reaching. It reminds me of a tribe in Africa that says to the women that their brains are smaller and "it's only science!". Because if you say it like that, it must be true! Eye roll.

Following you derail this whole thread is astounding. You have back peddled so much, it's obvious you have a problem being wrong. I followed Atkins for 10 years, because of people like you providing opinions posing them as "science". 10 years! Literally afraid to eat carbs. I never once felt like a normal person that entire time. And it has taken me years to reprogram myself that it's CICO, and I can eat anything that fits into my calories. And I did gain in HFLC. Why? Because it was over my TDEE.

Your links are inconclusive. They don't specifically point to carbs or sugar, and using a food group with other macros doesn't single out carbs or sugar causing you to eat more or become addicted. I eat less now that I have a balanced diet. I feel more satiated because all those needs and wants are met. It's more satiating for me. Not to mention I don't have disordered eating product of some obsession over a gram of carbs or sugar touching my lips. See how that works. I said "for me". So when you want to preach about hunger and "knowing what the culprit is", have the decency to say that's what works for you! Instead of brainwashing people with nonscience/nonsense.

The science is easy without you contorting it. Protein and fat has satiating qualities, to increase your protein/fat reduces the risk of eating more calories than you need. Less calories= deficit= weight loss. Don't tell people not to eat carbs or sugar, or that it will increase their hunger because that is not true. Recommend increasing protein and fat. At least then we could move on from this train wreck.

So you're just gonna disregard my sources and support? Haha alrighty... if you want more techniques to losing fat other than counting calories which seems like most people on this thread are, let me know.

And I just have to add.. I think it's funny that I'm providing links and sources to an idea that carbs COULD increase hunger. Lyle McDonald, a very respected, scientific source, knows just as well as I do that it's a heavily debated topic. Meaning, there's currently evidence for both sides. You say "don't tell people that carbs increase hunger cause it's not true" show me the evidence. Show me the science and I'll stop posting on here.

Are you deliberately being obtuse? It seems you keep making all types of nonsense wild claims then try to say your theories are backed by science? I get the feeling that your just trying to pull our legs here.
  • TravisGM92
    edited August 2016
    Options

Are you deliberately being obtuse? It seems you keep making all types of nonsense wild claims then try to say your theories are backed by science? I get the feeling that your just trying to pull our legs here.

Any science to back that claim? No? Cool. I'll take your thoughts into consideration (not) and stick to reading the science books.

The links I've provided which go to scientific journals aren't real science? Hmmm... thats interesting! I suppose the earth IS INDEED flat!
  • TravisGM92
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh really?

Sooo... saying it's the devil and just as addictive as cocaine is not to tell them not to eat it?

I wouldn't advise taking any cocaine. Or sugar. Or MSG. All of which are edible, none of which are required for a healthy diet.

Remember when you asked us where you advised anyone not to eat sugar? You know that thing you swear you aren't doing? THAT, just then, was you advising people not to eat sugar. I'm done, because if you claim those words don't mean to not eat sugar you don't understand the English language.

WOW.... you really love taking things out of context. I said that IN RESPONSE to someone asking me how much cocaine they should take. Did I advise anyone to NOT eat sugar BEFORE THAT (when I made the original claim that I did not in fact advise anyone to eat sugar)? No. That's like me telling someone one moment "be careful, that cliff is dangerous" then an hour later, after the context has changed, saying "that cliff is ok" and you claim I'm going back and forth...? what?!? haha ok

Yesterday I DIDN'T tell anyone to NOT eat sugar, yet you said I did. Today I did and you jump on that like "SEE?!? You're advising us NOT to eat sugar!!!"---- no *kitten*, now I am! I didn't before, that was your original point
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh really?

Remember when you asked us where you advised anyone not to eat sugar? You know that thing you swear you aren't doing? THAT, just then, was you advising people not to eat sugar. I'm done, because if you claim those words don't mean to not eat sugar you don't understand the English language.

It's like clockwork. I couldn't blink before he back peddled.

So what is everyone making for dinner tonight? I was thinking pasta with that really good ciabatta bread. Nmnmnm
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    Oh really?

It's like clockwork. I couldn't blink before he back peddled.

So what is everyone making for dinner tonight? I was thinking pasta with that really good ciabatta bread. Nmnmnm

I love how you keep avoiding the science articles I throw at you... really helps your credibility ;) Anyways, have fun eating!