Who pays?

Options

Replies

• bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Angela937 wrote: »
    So I shouldn't expect a guy to pay just cause he's the guy?

In all of my 25 years of life and probably 10 years of dating, I have never once had a guy offer to pay on the first date (or any date). From now on, that's how I am determining if they get a second date or not. If they don't offer to pay, then I'm not giving them more of my time. Not because I expect them to buy me fancy things, but because it's the right thing to do if they are interested, and it shows unselfish character. I'll offer to leave the tip. Going second date and beyond, though, I expect to split the bill. Unless he makes 100k+ a year....then, come on. lol

That makes me sad...that men of your generation have no chivalry :'(

Some do, depends how she's meeting them!

it shouldn't matter how she met them...the fact that no one has even offered? WTF!

Surprised me too! But yeah, I should have reworded that, if you meet a person who volunteers at a youth group etc, then I'd expect them to be more sensitive and switched on than one you'd met at a bar or club.

I met them at all different places...work, school, online, shopping at Barnes and Noble. They always expected me to pay my half. My family and friends were shocked when I brought this to their attention a few weeks ago...my best friend was like...what?! why would you even go out with him again if he didn't even offer?! I guess I acted like they were doing me a favor just by going out with me in the first place, so in a way it was my fault.

Also, I will agree there aren't too many guys in my generation that are very chivalrous anymore. I had this one guy who dropped me off after a date one night DOWN THE BLOCK FROM MY HOUSE because he "didn't feel like driving all the way to my house". I ended up walking home. Oh, and this wasn't just a date. He was my boyfriend. Who I had been dating for three months, and continued to date for another nine after it happened....
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Angela937 wrote: »
    So I shouldn't expect a guy to pay just cause he's the guy?

In all of my 25 years of life and probably 10 years of dating, I have never once had a guy offer to pay on the first date (or any date). From now on, that's how I am determining if they get a second date or not. If they don't offer to pay, then I'm not giving them more of my time. Not because I expect them to buy me fancy things, but because it's the right thing to do if they are interested, and it shows unselfish character. I'll offer to leave the tip. Going second date and beyond, though, I expect to split the bill. Unless he makes 100k+ a year....then, come on. lol

That makes me sad...that men of your generation have no chivalry :'(

Some do, depends how she's meeting them!

it shouldn't matter how she met them...the fact that no one has even offered? WTF!

Surprised me too! But yeah, I should have reworded that, if you meet a person who volunteers at a youth group etc, then I'd expect them to be more sensitive and switched on than one you'd met at a bar or club.

I met them at all different places...work, school, online, shopping at Barnes and Noble. They always expected me to pay my half. My family and friends were shocked when I brought this to their attention a few weeks ago...my best friend was like...what?! why would you even go out with him again if he didn't even offer?! I guess I acted like they were doing me a favor just by going out with me in the first place, so in a way it was my fault.

Also, I will agree there aren't too many guys in my generation that are very chivalrous anymore. I had this one guy who dropped me off after a date one night DOWN THE BLOCK FROM MY HOUSE because he "didn't feel like driving all the way to my house". I ended up walking home. Oh, and this wasn't just a date. He was my boyfriend. Who I had been dating for three months, and continued to date for another nine after it happened....

@bemyyfriend0918 you need to work on your self-esteem and realize that you ARE a woman of value and should be treated as such :wink:
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    IMHO : Who ever asked who to go should pay.

If the Guy asked a Gal on a date, then he pays.
    If the Gal asked a Guy on a date, then she pays.
  • brianbgboy
    brianbgboy Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I always pay and rather it that way personally. old fashioned I guess...
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It's ok for a man to pay. It's also ok for a woman to offer to pick up the bill.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I had a boyfriend years ago who refused to let me pay for anything for the first year we were together. Like - flat out refused. He said "what kind of man would I be if I let you pay?"
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I had a boyfriend years ago who refused to let me pay for anything for the first year we were together. Like - flat out refused. He said "what kind of man would I be if I let you pay?"

A non-controlling one, perhaps? ;)
  • arleban
    arleban Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Damn the guys just can't win in this thread. If you pay you're just after something in return or you're controlling, if you don't pay you're a cheap *kitten* and not chivalrous. At this point even I'm getting anxiety about who pays and I never really thought much of it before.

I don't know really. I've not had much anxiety on this issue...and I have anxiety. I figure the anxious part is getting someone who technically is just a stranger with some similarities to agree to meet. This is the easy part. I let the woman take the lead. If she offers to pay her half, cool. If I pay all, cool. If she wants to pay it all, sure. If her paying means she thinks I'm now obligated to be her human pony in her play dungeon...I want a movie too. ;)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    It would be fun to make a game out of it. Like flip a coin or play cards or something.
  • arleban
    arleban Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    It would be fun to make a game out of it. Like flip a coin or play cards or something.

There you go. Scrabble, Monopoly, or Risk. Let's make this date an all out war.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

A non-controlling one, perhaps? ;)

Actually no, he wasn't controlling at all. He was actually a pretty good guy...until he wasn't.

I would sneak stuff in. Like picking up a pizza or Dunkin Donuts on the way over to his house.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Either of two ways. The person who asks, pays, *or* if you pre-agree to go dutch, that also works.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    arleban wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    What is this chatter about the last dude?

Check out the thread titled Tinder. Tl;dr: dude shoved during oral time and made her sick.

Serves him right, then! Bet he'll think twice before doing that again!