Homeopathic nutritionist?

Options

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, "The Machine that goes PING!" is a big old red flag that you're being scammed. They like to make it look more "sciency" to give themselves legitimacy.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    This has just reminded me, an FB friend has recently got heavily into essential oils. Fair enough, she uses them for relaxation/sleep aid etc. However, she was flogging this event (she's also a rep, MLM fun) where you could be assessed by one of these machines to tell you what essential oils you should be using. I bit my tongue but was thinking the whole time what a lot of nonsense. And she's an intelligent human being, former primary school teacher. Just goes to show how easily sucked in we as humans can be.

I have actually had some success with certain essential oils. Lavender really helps me relax. Add a few drops (since the ones I buy are really concentrated) in a bath, and afterwards I fall asleep easily. I have also had luck with peppermint oil for headaches. I dab a bit on where the headache is and it decreases the pain almost instantly. It really helps my migraines and helps to relieve the pain until medication kicks in.

A machine to tell you which to use??? Yeah that's nonsense.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    This has just reminded me, an FB friend has recently got heavily into essential oils. Fair enough, she uses them for relaxation/sleep aid etc. However, she was flogging this event (she's also a rep, MLM fun) where you could be assessed by one of these machines to tell you what essential oils you should be using. I bit my tongue but was thinking the whole time what a lot of nonsense. And she's an intelligent human being, former primary school teacher. Just goes to show how easily sucked in we as humans can be.

I have actually had some success with certain essential oils. Lavender really helps me relax. Add a few drops (since the ones I buy are really concentrated) in a bath, and afterwards I fall asleep easily. I have also had luck with peppermint oil for headaches. I dab a bit on where the headache is and it decreases the pain almost instantly. It really helps my migraines and helps to relieve the pain until medication kicks in.

Like I said, the things she uses it for and talks about are all fair enough, mostly similar things to you. It was then taking it too far with the machine assessment that dictates which oils are best for you!
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Go see a registered dietitian.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    As a paediatric oncologist who treats dying children on a daily basis I would be interested in any actual evidence that homeopathy/shamanism/voodoo/the ground up testicle of a squirrel born on the second Sunday of a leap year work.

Omg I can't stop laughing after reading the last "treatment".

Funny story about voodoo. About a year ago I responded to a call (medic) for chest pain. When we got there, the patient told us she is having pain because her ex mother in law (who is in a different country) has been putting curses on her and making her sick. My partner and I just looked at each other like "huh?". She demanded we take her to the "religious" hospital in the city so they can remove the curse. When we told her that there is no religious hospital that we know of, she goes "fine take me to the voodoo hospital". My partner had to leave the room because he just started laughing. We brought her to the closest ER where they triaged her to the psych ER.

ROFL real The Serpent and The Rainbow stuff there. Funny how you can't curse a non-believer.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I use Frankincense oil as a perfume, just roll a little on to my wrists, I picked up a big bottle in Egypt but I'm always on the lookout for more as it won't last forever, but whenever I try and look it up I'm told it'll cure/prevent cancer, boost my immune system and probably buy me a yacht.
  • elphie754
    Options
    As a paediatric oncologist who treats dying children on a daily basis I would be interested in any actual evidence that homeopathy/shamanism/voodoo/the ground up testicle of a squirrel born on the second Sunday of a leap year work.

Funny story about voodoo. About a year ago I responded to a call (medic) for chest pain. When we got there, the patient told us she is having pain because her ex mother in law (who is in a different country) has been putting curses on her and making her sick. My partner and I just looked at each other like "huh?". She demanded we take her to the "religious" hospital in the city so they can remove the curse. When we told her that there is no religious hospital that we know of, she goes "fine take me to the voodoo hospital". My partner had to leave the room because he just started laughing. We brought her to the closest ER where they triaged her to the psych ER.

ROFL real The Serpent and The Rainbow stuff there. Funny how you can't curse a non-believer.

Best part was, as we were walking back to the ambulance after dropping her off, the current boyfriend started screaming at us. He goes "you did something wrong!! You had to have said something wrong!! Now they think she is crazy and asking her questions about her mental state." And continued screaming about how her predicament is our fault. We just got in the vehicle without saying anything and left.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    MaybeLed wrote: »

I use Frankincense oil as a perfume, just roll a little on to my wrists, I picked up a big bottle in Egypt but I'm always on the lookout for more as it won't last forever, but whenever I try and look it up I'm told it'll cure/prevent cancer, boost my immune system and probably buy me a yacht.

Yacht? Now you have my attention! Go on... ;)
  • elphie754
    Options

Not sure where you live, but you may want to check occult/pagan/Wicca stores. They typically have pure essential oils. That's where I get mine.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2016
    Options

Best part was, as we were walking back to the ambulance after dropping her off, the current boyfriend started screaming at us. He goes "you did something wrong!! You had to have said something wrong!! Now they think she is crazy and asking her questions about her mental state." And continued screaming about how her predicament is our fault. We just got in the vehicle without saying anything and left.

Of course it's your fault, people with an external locus of control never understand how they contribute to their own issues lol.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Not sure where you live, but you may want to check occult/pagan/Wicca stores. They typically have pure essential oils. That's where I get mine.

Thanks I never thought of that, I'm in London so I'm sure there are plenty around!
  • elphie754
    Options

Of course it's your fault, people with an external loci of control never understand how they contribute to their own issues lol.

Lol. I wish I could say that was the strangest call I've responded to, but that would be a lie.

We had one a few months ago that came in as a chest pain. We get upstairs and there is this college aged guy running the flat surface of a tiny Buddha statue on his chest, and it's red from where he was rubbing. My partner and I look at each knowing this is going to be one of those calls lol. I'm better than my partner at not laughing in people's faces so I ask why he called. He goes "my heart is getting bigger and my chest hurts". So we ask how does he know it's getting bigger and he points to the redness and goes "because my skin is getting red and I've been using the statue but just seems to be getting worse." Yeah, no kidding lol. It took a while for us to convince him that no, he is not the grinch, his heart isn't growing and he stopped rubbing the area the redness would go away.