Ladies - weight and pants size?

I know that dress size has as much to do with body type and height as it does weight, but I am just curious how your dress size has correlated to your weight loss?

I am down around 25 lbs and needed to go pants shopping today because my size 20s were literally falling off me. (started at 258) I have a pair of 18s at home but I can't even get them close to zipped up. I did find a pair of 18s that fit well but many were slightly too small - could get them done up but they were tight.

Just made me very curious because I feel like in previous times where I lost weight I didn't have such a range between sizes. However, I also never started this high before. Was wondering was others experiences were.

Thanks!

Replies

• RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    The fit discrepancy you're seeing can also depend on when and where your size 20s and size 18s were purchased.

But to answer your main question, I'm 5'5", 188 lbs and comfortably fit in size 12 pants.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    5'1 (slightly under), 130 pounds, size 10/8 depending on where I shop

UK sizes FYI
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I am 5'6", 150(ish) lbs, wear a US size 8 in most clothing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    5'4" and 127 lbs. It seems like clothing designers draw random numbers out of a hat to size women's pants. I have sizes 2, 4, and 6 in my closet right now and all fit me. No way I should fit into a 2, but some brands have vanity sizing now. You just gotta keep trying them on until you find the right fit.

I bet you could fit in Old Navy's 2s, I fit in 4s.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Currently I am about 120 lbs. My pant size is 5/6 maybe 7 depending on the brand. That is in US size.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    5'4", 135 pounds. Large framed and I lift. I own pants in sizes 4, 6 and 8 that all fit. Wore a pair of size 4s last night and am wearing size 6 pants today. Since women's clothing sizes are completely arbitrary much of it has to do with the manufacturer.

I'm 5'5" 135 lbs and pretty much this. It completely depends on the brand (I'm in the US). Heck even the same brand and size, some styles will be loose, others will be snug...

I once purchased the same style of pants in size 4 in 3 different colors because I liked them so much. The white and brown fit perfectly but the black were too tight in the thighs and too loose in the waist. I took that first pair back and bought another and they were the same way. Sadly, 4 was the smallest size Costco sold them in so no black for me.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    5 Foot 4 3/4 inches 148 lbs. Small in tops and dresses, size 4 in pants/skirts.
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    RA60172 wrote: »
    The fit discrepancy you're seeing can also depend on when and where your size 20s and size 18s were purchased.

But to answer your main question, I'm 5'5", 188 lbs and comfortably fit in size 12 pants.

I agree with all the women here about clothing manufacturers, but I think it also depends upon where you gained your weight and where you are losing the weight. I think that the above quote is the perfect example of this. I used to wear 11 (12's were a little big in the waist) and I could wear some 9/10, but I was around 155lbs. I have been losing weight all over, but my thighs and buttocks seemed to shrink first. I am now about 50lbs lighter than I was on my profile pic. The pant I am wearing on that picture is too large for me now. Although they were sagging for the last two months, I could wear them until recently. I finally lost some weight in my waistline so now I will have a wardrobe malfunction if I try to wear them! LOL

My daughter and I both weigh about 215 now (I started at 281lbs and I was wearing 24/26 women's or 3X). She wears a size 15 and I wear size 17/18. I gained most of my weight in my torso. I can wear her size 15 now, but it is snug in the waist and makes my tummy appear larger (imagine the fat hanging over the waistline of the pant). I need to lose 61 more pounds to get to my goal weight of 155lbs, and I am wondering if I will be in same size I used to be in, 11's and some 9/10?

So you are in a size 18 at about 233lbs? If this is true, then do you see my point about it being according to where you gain or lose weight? You lost 25lbs to get into some 18's; and I lost 65lbs to get from an 24/26 to a size 18. I think it is hard to measure how many sizes one might drop per 25lbs weight loss. Thoughts?

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I shop almost exclusively at Old Navy & plus-sized stores so keep that in mind. I'm hovering between 216-217lbs right now and 5'4". I am squeezing into size 16s. Some fit perfectly and some are just a little on the small side but are comfortable and do look okay with the right top. But my size 18s are almost universally too big--not just in the waist, but all over so they look sloppy and unprofessional. In fact I donated 4 bags of size 18 and up last week because I couldn't make them work any longer!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    5'2" and 128 lbs. I wear mostly size 8 US and an occasional 6.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    5'6, 190, and I have 10,12 and 14's in my closet. I primarily shop for pants at Macys.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    5'9", 129lbs, size 2/0 depending on brand
  • awesomefulninja
    awesomefulninja Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2016
    I'm 5'6" and hover around 120 lbs, give or take, and I have a small frame. I shop everywhere, really. Depending on the brand and style/cut of the pants I wear anywhere between a 0 and a 3. Probably most of my pants are size 1 and 2. I've got a mix of women's and juniors sized clothes.

I agree on wishing that women's pants were sized like mens. They have it so easy! The inconsistencies in women's sizing is ridiculous.

I originally started at 190 lbs and wearing a size 14-16. Back before I had kids I was 140 lbs, super toned and in shape, and wearing size 7-8 pants. Now I'm 120 lbs, size 0-3, but in need of some working out and toning up.