Ladies - weight and pants size?

Options

Replies

• waistdisposalgirl
    Options
    How different we all are! I'm 185lbs, 5ft 7 and I'm a 16 on top, 14 on bottom (uk).x I have slim legs and my tummy/boobs are very big. Not a good look, but not for much longer!xx
  • chassp8pooh
    chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2. Started at 240 pounds and a size 22. Now down to 169.2 and a size 8.
  • MommaLovesToLoseIt
    MommaLovesToLoseIt Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 9 and weigh 225-230. My pants are a size 10-12 and tops a medium to large.
  • clothingcreations
    Options
    I have always had to go a size or sometimes even 2 sizes larger due to my butt and now hips. I am very curvy and my waist was never a problem until child #5 came a long. now I am 5' 6" weighting 200 ibs and wearing an 18 in pants. I also have 2 pairs of 16 that fit, but for the most part I have to wear 18s due to having a larger backside that no matter how much weight I drop will always be following me around.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Here's some industry info from someone who fits clothes for a living. For sizes USA XS-XXL you need to gain or lose approximately 2-3" from your bust/waist/hips to change a size (0-16 would be half that). Specifically numbers would depend on where you fall in the measurement range for that specific size.

For sizes USA 1x-4x you need to gain or lose 3"-4" from your bust and 3.5"-4.5" from your waist and hips to change sizes (sizes 18-24 would be half those numbers). Same variation applies as for regular women's sizing depending on where you started within the measurement range for that specific size.

The jumps between sizes don't vary too much from company to company because the rules are mathematically based and body growth between sizes has been pretty well documented. There are HUGE variations in the standards for each size between companies because this is not regulated (it annoys me too). 90% of the time I wear a 6/S but some places I wear a 4 and others an 8 or 10. This can also vary from fabric to fabric (even color to color) within the same company because fabrics all stretch and move differently. Most people need to shop a range of sizes at different stores. This is totally normal and everyone deals with it regardless of how much you weigh or your body shape. Don't waste time and emotional energy getting hung up on a size, just buy what fits right.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 177 - 180 lbs (been fluctuating recently)...My size 12s are borderline big, and 10 is uncomfortably tight. At a crossroads. I'm hard to fit pants-wise because I have hips and thighs but not enough of a butt. :( SO pants that fit me in the waist are saggy in the butt. Pants that hug my butt right squeeze the crap out of my crotch and legs.

When I was 145 (college), I could fit into size 6 or 8 pant.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 11.75" (don't laugh, the 0.75 matters when you're short!). At my starting weight I was 215 lb. and wore size 16 pants, XL shirts. I'm currently 122 lb., 7 pounds from goal. I wear size 0-4 pants and XS/S shirts depending on the brand.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and fit into a size 18. When I started I wore a size 20. Since then I've gone from 288 to 252. I buy all my jeans at the same location.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 190lbs. I *just* bought new jeans at a regular size 14 (not 14w) from Kohl's. I was genuinely shocked that they fit.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    5'7" and currently weigh 77.3kg (170lb) pant size is a UK 14 (US 12) and top size is a size 12 (US 10) started at 107.5kg (237lbs) in tight size pant size 20, top size 18.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    5'3", 217 lbs, just went clothes shopping today: Skirt 20W, sweater 1X, jacket 20.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Depends. I'm 5'6, 140 lbs and can fit in 2-6, US sizes (mostly 4 or 6). Because of my shape (I have large thighs/hips, small waist/bust), I can fit into smaller dress sizes than pant sizes, usually a 0-4.

As another poster mentioned, it entire depends on the brand, as well.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Just so all you ladies know, regardless of the fact that men's sizes are supposed to be standardized by the inches on the labels, that isn't always the case. My husband can't shop at Haggar because their pants are so bizarrely sized. When he was wearing a 38/32 everywhere else, he couldn't even zip them up at Haggar, and that was several pairs, not just one type!
    Anyway, I am 5'5" and currently about 228lbs and hovering between a 18-20. 18 is too tight mostly, 20 falls off. *sigh* When I was at my smallest size as an adult I was about140lbs and wore a size 8-10. Thought I was huge, lol.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 7 and weigh 214 and fit into size 14. I am small waisted for my weight
  • jmkleiven
    jmkleiven Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hmm a lot of variations in everyone's size and weight. I'm 5'4. 145 size 12!
  • Fitorel
    Fitorel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a 5'8" (172.5cm) woman. I weigh about 132lbs (60kg) and my pant size varies in the UK. In some stores I am a UK size 6 while in others I am a size 10.
    I have a problem with my clothes at the moment because I went on a shopping spree back in September because I wanted an entire new wardrobe and I decided to start slimming at the beginning of November. *Facepalm*
    I have lost 14lbs and I plan to lose 4/6lbs more so my pants that I bought back then are already really loose and saggy, it makes me sad.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5'6" 148lb and a UK size 10 average ((some tops I'm 8, some jeans I'm 12))
  • CarolF11
    CarolF11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Weigh 123 height 5'1 . Sizes 2,3,4,and 5
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    5'5, 198 pounds, size 16/18 jeans
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Sizing is so strange. I wore 12s when I was 125 in my 20s. When I gain ANYTHING and get a rounded tummy that the center seam has to go around (the rise), often have to go up at least 1 and usually 2 sizes. Even clothes called "tall" often just have longer inseams without rise adjustments.

Write all this to say that weight, height, weight distribution, all mean that 185 for one woman will not result in the same pants size as 185 for another. I know this may not be considered the greatest idea. But do you have decent GoodWill stores in your area? My local goodwill has a huge selection of decent slacks in all sizes and qualities. A great mid-weight-loss idea to consider if you're watching your budget and still choose to wear clothes that fit. You'll have to try them on at GW as well since the same problems with irregular sizing exists there!