Ladies - weight and pants size?

Options

Replies

• FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 1/2" and around 164 lbs currently and in dress pants/dresses I wear a 8. I have a problem finding jeans that fit right because my waist is way smaller than my hips/thighs (thick thigh girl here!) so I have to buy jeans that have some stretch in them so I can fit them over my thighs but they fit correctly in my waist and my favorite jeans are from Kohls, and I wear a size 7 (junior). Tops, I usually wear extra small or small but sometimes have to wear a medium if they are longer so that they are not too tight near hip area.

The funny thing is, I am back on here because I had gone from 211 lbs to 144 lbs and have gained some of that weight back and I am trying to lose it however, I can wear a lot of the same clothes I wore when I was at 144 lbs. My dress pants/dresses are really the only thing that I had to go up a size in (I was wearing 6's and sometimes 4's).
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    5'8/5'9. Currently weigh 145. I have long skinny legs and sadly no butt, but I'm still working on getting rid of belly fat. I comfortably fit US size 4 pants if they sit below the waist. Need at least a size 8 if they sit at or above the waist. :(

Oh yeah, and my tops are medium or large depending on the style. I lost some of my boobs, but I'm still top-heavy. I kinda look like a meatball on a couple of toothpicks. :D
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I'm 117 and I wear a 5/7 because of my hips. I can't fit into anything smaller than that so it makes buying pants really frustrating because my leg size to *kitten* size ratio apparently makes me a freak of nature according to designers.

I work in the industry. What are you waist and hip measurements?

My waist is 25 and my hips are 35.5 - generally I can find a pair of pants to go over my butt but then they're too big on my legs, or they fit my legs and won't go over my butt lol. If they're higher rise there's often a gap in between the curve of my back and the pants.

I'm a 27" waist with 38" hips so we are about the same proportions. You should be a 2 or 4 depending on the brand. If you are wearing a 5/7 your in juniors sizes which are teenager proportions and NOT built for girls with curves. I've done well with Gap, Lucky, Joes, Huson, Plicro, Jbrand, and the newest Target jeans. There are also these great belts called Truth Belts on Amazon. They are elastic and have flat belts that don't show under tight clothes. They are a lifesaver.

The only one near me that you've listed is The Gap, so maybe I'll try there again. I promise though, that no matter where I've gone I've had to grab a 5 or a 7, they can't have all been junior sizes lol. Although I haven't bought any pants since losing a bit of weight so who knows, maybe I'll have an easier time of it now.

Most of those brands are available at department stores. The Target jeans are just from Target:

But yeah, odd numbers are juniors and fit to teenager proportions. Even numbers, or waist sizes (I wear a 28, your probably a 26) are women's sizes...they have more room for thighs and a booty.

In Canada we have adult sizes 5 and 7 in many stores?
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    I'm 117 and I wear a 5/7 because of my hips. I can't fit into anything smaller than that so it makes buying pants really frustrating because my leg size to *kitten* size ratio apparently makes me a freak of nature according to designers.

I work in the industry. What are you waist and hip measurements?

My waist is 25 and my hips are 35.5 - generally I can find a pair of pants to go over my butt but then they're too big on my legs, or they fit my legs and won't go over my butt lol. If they're higher rise there's often a gap in between the curve of my back and the pants.

I'm a 27" waist with 38" hips so we are about the same proportions. You should be a 2 or 4 depending on the brand. If you are wearing a 5/7 your in juniors sizes which are teenager proportions and NOT built for girls with curves. I've done well with Gap, Lucky, Joes, Huson, Plicro, Jbrand, and the newest Target jeans. There are also these great belts called Truth Belts on Amazon. They are elastic and have flat belts that don't show under tight clothes. They are a lifesaver.

The only one near me that you've listed is The Gap, so maybe I'll try there again. I promise though, that no matter where I've gone I've had to grab a 5 or a 7, they can't have all been junior sizes lol. Although I haven't bought any pants since losing a bit of weight so who knows, maybe I'll have an easier time of it now.

Most of those brands are available at department stores. The Target jeans are just from Target:

But yeah, odd numbers are juniors and fit to teenager proportions. Even numbers, or waist sizes (I wear a 28, your probably a 26) are women's sizes...they have more room for thighs and a booty.

In Canada we have adult sizes 5 and 7 in many stores?

The US, Canada, UK and Australia all have odd number sizing for Juniors fit, so those would still be Juniors. Theoretically a size 6 should be able to wear a size 9 junior but bodies fat distribution change as we age (the first shift happens around age 25) so this doesn't happen for most people. The biggest difference between Juniors and Women's is that the hips are much straighter and the butt is higher (and your boobs are more perky), so if you have issues with your waist being too big in your jeans this will be worse with a Juniors sized garment. Women who are petite and/or althetic might still be able to wear juniors sizes into their mid 30's, but eventually age catches up with all of us.

However brands like Jcrew, Madewell, and Zara are women's sizing but are cut straighter so you will have the same problem there. Gap, Banana Republic, and Express are all cut better for women with more curve. Lucky Brand has a cut for extremely curvy girls, and Target carries curvy fit jeans online (but the regular ones are pretty curvy). Also, look for jeans that are polyester/cotton/spandex blend. They have more stretch and good fabric retention so you will have an easier time finding a pair that fits your waist and your hips/thighs comfortably.
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 138lbs and a UK 10/12
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and weigh 193 and I can wear a size 12 comfortably. 14s are definitely too loose but I do still wear them since I try to jump a size when I buy new work pants. (trying to wait until 10s fit) I did order a couple new pairs of pants in a 10 but they're still a bit tight.
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 158 lbs and have anywhere from size 6 to size 12 in my closet (though those 12s have been loose for a while.)
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    5'4", 146 and between a 6 and an 8 at the moment (though some 4s also fit).
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I honestly had zero idea about that.

I feel enlightened lol

LOL! I thought we all learned that as we grew up and saw our clothing sizing change! :)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just for slaps and giggles thought I would add the Vanity sizing for bras. I have 38 D, DD and C cups and all fit, lol. In fact truthfully the DD is a bit small. The C cup fits the best. It's just plain silly.
  • msbellafuerte
    msbellafuerte Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pants size will vary dramatically based on where you carry your weight. I tend to wear smaller sized pants than most other women of my weight because my hips are small (relatively speaking), my bust is not and I carry a decent amount of muscle.

I'm losing baby weight, so it's mostly in the belly. I just switched out of maternity pants to my old size 14s (from last time losing baby weight). I'm currently just under 180 lbs at almost 5'4. When I was at my lowest weight of 140ish several years ago, I was in size 4-6 pants, if I'm remembering correctly.

And, yes, manufacturers are completely inconsistent in how big their clothes are. Every year, they seem to make all the clothes just a tiny bit bigger so that we can tell ourselves we're getting slimmer and spend more money.

I am also 5'4 & when i was at 140 a few years ago ..I was wearing mostly size 4s/some 6s from kohls womens section mostly Jennifer Lopez & Lauren Conrad brands..right now weighing 178 i wear a loose fitting size 10/tight fitting size 8
  • SavageBeauty85
    SavageBeauty85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    115 5'1 size 26-28" waist 3/5
  • VainMommy
    VainMommy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    5'4", 135 pounds. Large framed and I lift. I own pants in sizes 4, 6 and 8 that all fit. Wore a pair of size 4s last night and am wearing size 6 pants today. Since women's clothing sizes are completely arbitrary much of it has to do with the manufacturer.

I'm 5'5" 135 lbs and pretty much this. It completely depends on the brand (I'm in the US). Heck even the same brand and size, some styles will be loose, others will be snug...

I'm 5'4" 133lbs and at express I'm a size 4. And I so agree with what was said about same pants different fit. I bought a dark denim and black pair of pants. Same name and size but the black one were very loose! And nowadays many retailers are using "vanity sizing"
  • TreesOfYavanna
    TreesOfYavanna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I once purchased the same style of pants in size 4 in 3 different colors because I liked them so much. The white and brown fit perfectly but the black were too tight in the thighs and too loose in the waist. I took that first pair back and bought another and they were the same way. Sadly, 4 was the smallest size Costco sold them in so no black for me.

Yes! I bought two pairs of Chaps pants in size 4P. One pair fit like they were made for me, the other pair I couldn't even button!

I bought a pair from Levi's online according to their size chart after taking my measurements, and though they were preshrunk, they were HUGE and I had to send them back!

I am just about ready to quit pants altogether lol.
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I started a new job a few months ago that has me working remotely from home the majority of the time - and I basically have quit pants. :) All leggings, all the time. Makes life much easier. ;)

But to stay on topic - I'm 5'3.5", hovering around 150 at the moment, and in mostly US 4s with some 6s. I am long-waisted with short legs, so finding the right rise/inseam combination tends to be the hardest thing for me. Argh.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options
    I once purchased the same style of pants in size 4 in 3 different colors because I liked them so much. The white and brown fit perfectly but the black were too tight in the thighs and too loose in the waist. I took that first pair back and bought another and they were the same way. Sadly, 4 was the smallest size Costco sold them in so no black for me.

Yes! I bought two pairs of Chaps pants in size 4P. One pair fit like they were made for me, the other pair I couldn't even button!

I bought a pair from Levi's online according to their size chart after taking my measurements, and though they were preshrunk, they were HUGE and I had to send them back!

Here is a fun tidbit of denim info...

All blue colored jeans start out the same color of dark indigo. They sew the jeans together and then apply different chemical washes and finishing techniques to change the color. These washes all break down the fabric in different ways, some more and some less. The generally, if they are the same fabric, the lighter the blue, or the more washed down the color, the softer/stretchier they will be. Darker blues will fit smaller. White and black don't go through the same process so they will usually be smaller than their blue colored counterparts. Light/medium gray jeans are always really soft/stretchy.

Making clothes fit properly, and consistently is really, really difficult. Pants are the hardest to get right and make everyone happy because there are SO MANY body shapes! That's why I always tell people to take at least two sizes with you into the fitting room and don't get attached to a particular number because your real 'size' will usually be a range of 2-3 sizes.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options
    scr183 wrote: »

I started a new job a few months ago that has me working remotely from home the majority of the time - and I basically have quit pants. :) All leggings, all the time. Makes life much easier. ;)

But to stay on topic - I'm 5'3.5", hovering around 150 at the moment, and in mostly US 4s with some 6s. I am long-waisted with short legs, so finding the right rise/inseam combination tends to be the hardest thing for me. Argh.

I'm the opposite. I'm 5'6" with a 33" inseam and short waist so mid-rise jeans fit like high-rise jeans and they are always 1-2" too short. It's makes the whole "small waist, big hips" problem worse because the waist hits too high on me.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am 5,6' and 180 give or take a couple pounds either way. I can wear a size 8-12 depending on type of jean. All my jeans are from Macys, INC. Brand.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1" weigh 128lbs. I have an all natural big old booty so I wear a size 10-12 pants (UK size). Even when I was super fit, my booty was still big, all that exercise just made it stick out more lol!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im 5'6 1/2 ,166lbs and wear anything from a 6 to a 10(US) depending on who makes it and the cut/fit. I have a small waist(27) and bigger hips(37) and my thighs are on the large size. so what I can get over my thighs and butt usually ends up big in the waist.