Ladies - weight and pants size?

Options

Replies

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I'm 117 and I wear a 5/7 because of my hips. I can't fit into anything smaller than that so it makes buying pants really frustrating because my leg size to *kitten* size ratio apparently makes me a freak of nature according to designers.

I work in the industry. What are you waist and hip measurements?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" and started at about 135 lbs, size 6 or 8. I'm now 113 lbs, size 2.
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    5'6" 143 lbs currently back in my old pants! Size 6 or 28
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »
    Sizing is so strange. I wore 12s when I was 125 in my 20s.

Yeah, but how old are you? Sizes have changed. 25ish years ago, I was a teenager who would have killed to fit into a size 8. The skinniest girls in my class wore size 6 or 8 back then. At best, I was a 12; most often, a 14; occasionally a 16. I weighed less than I do now (and certainly had smaller bust/waist/hips). I'm currently in size 8. It's pretty clear to me that what was called a 12 in my teens is now called a 6 (or smaller, in some stores).

To answer the OPs question, I've lost 35 pounds since I started counting (190 pounds to 155 pounds) and dropped from maternity pants/shorts (because my between-pregnancies 14s were too tight) to size 8. Whereas other women are complaining about their waists being too tiny compared to their hips (giving them gaps at the waist), I have the opposite problem. I carry most of my weight on my upper body, so if I lose any inches around the waist, the pants fall off (since I have no hips to hold them up).
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm 117 and I wear a 5/7 because of my hips. I can't fit into anything smaller than that so it makes buying pants really frustrating because my leg size to *kitten* size ratio apparently makes me a freak of nature according to designers.

My waist is 25 and my hips are 35.5 - generally I can find a pair of pants to go over my butt but then they're too big on my legs, or they fit my legs and won't go over my butt lol. If they're higher rise there's often a gap in between the curve of my back and the pants.

Hmm I just measured myself and I'm 5'3 26waist with 36 hips but wear a size 1 in juniors/2 in womens....where do buy your clothes at? Skinny jeans curve so tight. But you are more toned than me. I got thick thighs.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    5'5", 149 pounds, size 4 - don't get it
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    5'7", 164 lbs, size 10. I have a small frame though.

Shows you how different we are. I am 5'7", weigh 153 (this morning) and wear a 12.
    About 3 more pounds and I will be at a 10. Around 140 I will be a 6/8. That's where I was a couple of years ago, and I will be back there soon. Plan on staying there this time. I swore I would not ever buy bigger sizes again once I threw out all my "fat clothes". Dang it.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options

My waist is 25 and my hips are 35.5 - generally I can find a pair of pants to go over my butt but then they're too big on my legs, or they fit my legs and won't go over my butt lol. If they're higher rise there's often a gap in between the curve of my back and the pants.

I'm a 27" waist with 38" hips so we are about the same proportions. You should be a 2 or 4 depending on the brand. If you are wearing a 5/7 your in juniors sizes which are teenager proportions and NOT built for girls with curves. I've done well with Gap, Lucky, Joes, Huson, Plicro, Jbrand, and the newest Target jeans. There are also these great belts called Truth Belts on Amazon. They are elastic and have flat belts that don't show under tight clothes. They are a lifesaver.
  • fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    5'9, 125-128 pounds - size 0/2.
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Options
    miritikvah wrote: »

Hmm I just measured myself and I'm 5'3 26waist with 36 hips but wear a size 1 in juniors/2 in womens....where do buy your clothes at? Skinny jeans curve so tight. But you are more toned than me. I got thick thighs.

I haven't been able to fit into a size 1 or 2 since I was about 12 lol. Normally I buy my clothes at Urban Planet, The Gap, Forever 21, Winners, etc. and I always need a 5-7. But my *kitten* is larger for my size, so that might play a part in our size differences.

I can, however, fit into small leggings and sometimes yoga pants, but I often go with a medium because they normally fit better.

You got the goal of thigh gap too <3. I'm above average for my *kitten* but my bone structure is similar to a 12 year olds lol. Like extra small bones. Really shows similar weights, measumements, and height can look different.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    5'4", 135 pounds. Large framed and I lift. I own pants in sizes 4, 6 and 8 that all fit. Wore a pair of size 4s last night and am wearing size 6 pants today. Since women's clothing sizes are completely arbitrary much of it has to do with the manufacturer.

I'm 5'5" 135 lbs and pretty much this. It completely depends on the brand (I'm in the US). Heck even the same brand and size, some styles will be loose, others will be snug...

Yup. I'm 5'4 and 114lbs. I'm wearing size 4 or 6, but have a pair of old navy denim shorts that are size 0. I've never been a size 0 in my life, and I sure as heck am not now.
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Options
    Yeah there's a difference between juniors and women's. 0,1,3,5,7+ odd is juniors. 0,2,4,6+ even is women's. I can't fit women's right bc my bone/shape so I wear juniors. But each brand fits different imo. I can be anywhere from 0-3
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I promise though, that no matter where I've gone I've had to grab a 5 or a 7, they can't have all been junior sizes lol.

Odd numbers are junior sizes. Even numbers are for adult women. (Which is not to say that adult women might not enjoy wearing junior style clothes - but they're not cut to accommodate curves.)
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think sizing also probably ranges country to country, plus brand to brand so I always find it a hard question. Im from Canada and if I wear a size x there, when I go to the US the same size label will be larger on me. (Makes me like state side shopping cause I can buy smaller sizes ;) )

I am 5'8 and was in a size 16/18 at 215 lbs, now down 30 lbs to 185 and in a 14. When I was 160 I was a size 12. I tend to carry my weight around the middle /across the back .
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options

I'm a 27" waist with 38" hips so we are about the same proportions. You should be a 2 or 4 depending on the brand. If you are wearing a 5/7 your in juniors sizes which are teenager proportions and NOT built for girls with curves. I've done well with Gap, Lucky, Joes, Huson, Plicro, Jbrand, and the newest Target jeans. There are also these great belts called Truth Belts on Amazon. They are elastic and have flat belts that don't show under tight clothes. They are a lifesaver.

The only one near me that you've listed is The Gap, so maybe I'll try there again. I promise though, that no matter where I've gone I've had to grab a 5 or a 7, they can't have all been junior sizes lol. Although I haven't bought any pants since losing a bit of weight so who knows, maybe I'll have an easier time of it now.

Most of those brands are available at department stores. The Target jeans are just from Target:

But yeah, odd numbers are juniors and fit to teenager proportions. Even numbers, or waist sizes (I wear a 28, your probably a 26) are women's sizes...they have more room for thighs and a booty.
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    5'6" 136 pounds. UK 10 in jeans (although they are big at waist). Dresses though, anything from U.K. 8 to 14; I eyeball dresses for size. I was in TK Maxx at the weekend and tried 8 dresses, mostly in a 10; the 8 and the 14 were the best, one size 10 was waaaayy too tight. It's ridiculous.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5'6" 148lb and a UK size 10 average ((some tops I'm 8, some jeans I'm 12))

I'm the same height, and a UK size 14 at that weight... it's so variable!
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" 135lbs and am starting to have to buy more size 10 trousers (UK size) I was a size 12 for most of my life and size 14 at my heaviest. I can still fit into a lot of my size 12 trousers but only with a belt/ constantly pulling them up! In dresses and tops I am still a size 12 because I have a large bust and waist in proportion to my bottom half.

One thing that fascinates me is that in jeans that go by waist size I have always worn sizes that are smaller than my actual waist measurement (e.g. when my waist was 33 inches I wore 30 inch waist jeans) is this because its arbitrary or because they assume a particular waist to hip ratio that I don't have (I have lost weight on my waist recently but used to have a 33 inch waist and 38 inch hips).
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm happy to share here.

I'm tiny, a whole 159 cm or about 5'2 with a small frame.. My "healthy" weight should be around 108-121 lbs or 48-55 kg...

I'm about 60 kg or 130 lbs and sometimes, I go up to 63 kg after a cheat day and those extra 3 kg are gone within 2 days and I get my abs back.

I'm a size 4 USA, 6 UK and 34 euro... That's xs..

You're weight doesn't matter, it's what you see in the mirror. If I was focused on my weight I'd have to kiss my muscles good bye and I'm not willing to do that so I stay clear of the scale.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    5'7", I bounce around between 135-140. I wear size 6 or 8.