Ladies - weight and pants size?

Options

Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm just over 5 feet tall and weighed in at 207.4 this morning. I wear a size 16 in most jeans. Oddly, (from history), I'll have to lose 25 to 30 pounds to go down a size. I find that from when I was at my smallest (112 pounds), that the smaller you are, the less you have to lose to go down a size. At 112, I still wore a size 6-8.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am 5'6" about 157 lbs, and my pants size is an 8-10. However my dress size is a 10-12. The more expensive the brand, the greater chance i need a 14 to get the fabric around my chest. I carry all my weight on my upper half and very little on my thighs or buttocks.

Curiously although I agree with the other posters about the trend in vanity sizing, I still fit into a size 12 bridesmaid dress from 1998. It's all up to the manufacturer, no rhyme or reason or pattern or logic.
  • bmclogins
    bmclogins Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    5'7" 249lb. Size 18 usually.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    5'2" 164 pounds. Size 10-snug in the waist, baggy everywhere else. Size 12, perfect if a little big in the waist, super baggy everywhere else.
    I got me a big ol' gut!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" , 138 lbs and wear a size 8/10.
  • jskalouise
    jskalouise Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 9", 191lbs and size 18, but they are a bit big on me now, on my way to a 16. (UK)

Also, very jealous of the person above me thats the same height, but weighs much less haha!
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    5'8/152lbs. I vary between a 6 and an 8 depending on brand
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    5'6 145#- I'm generally a size 4 in designer clothes and usually a size 2 in clothes like Old Navy, NY&CO, Gap etc.
  • sondeedun
    sondeedun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    5'10" 237 lbs 18 pant
  • HeidiThe9
    HeidiThe9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    5'6" 230 lbs., I just bought a size 14 of Old Navy jeans this weekend. A very snug, yet stretchy 14, so I am most likely a 16.

At 280 10 months ago I was wearing a size 22 slack, size 20 jean.
    In college (15 years ago) I weighed 220, and I also wore a size 20 jean...
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 150lbs and I have 6s, 8s, 10s and 12s in my closet. You never know until you try them on.
  • Sandra37405
    Sandra37405 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and weigh 164 and I wear size 12 pants. Years ago at this same weight size 16 would have been snug and hard to find. I am not hippy (I have a rectangular build and wide shoulders).
    When I weighed 125 I was a size 6 on the bottom and 12 on top.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and weigh 164 and I wear size 12 pants. Years ago at this same weight size 16 would have been snug and hard to find. I am not hippy (I have a rectangular build and wide shoulders).
    When I weighed 125 I was a size 6 on the bottom and 12 on top.

Yeah, clothes are bigger these days. I weigh 40 pounds more than I did in high school, but my clothes have the same size printed on them.
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I try to hang onto old jeans from each size so i know if its me or the clothes that are shrinking.
    Jeans without lycra are a pretty accurate guide.
    Even when the scales won't budge, sometimes you still are losing bulk.
    If you can fit into a size you couldn't last week, you're winning that battle, no matter what the scales say.
  • loridz
    loridz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was laughing at this question as I truly don't know the answer! Living in Costa Rica now, all I wear is tank dresses and workout clothes. Never ever pants with a size. Lol.
  • SarahG6717
    SarahG6717 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5,10" and I take sixe 16-18 depending on where I shop--Addition Elle is 16 and Marks work warehouse is 18......so I never rely on sizes from store to store
  • meganwrenbrannock
    Options
    Hey I'm 5"4 and 197lbs and wear a 16 to 18 depending on fit :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    5'4", 138, size 6 and sometimes 4 because of vanity sizing.
  • rainbowtiedye
    rainbowtiedye Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    5' 10" 235lb. (for now!) and I went from a 24 size pants to an 18/20 depending on the style, brand, and cut. My problem I've been having is that the pants are baggy in the knees/thighs, but don't fit around the waist (yet!). Once I get my midsection slimmed I hope to have better luck. Also finding pants long enough in my size can be difficult!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" about 157 lbs, and my pants size is an 8-10. However my dress size is a 10-12. The more expensive the brand, the greater chance i need a 14 to get the fabric around my chest. I carry all my weight on my upper half and very little on my thighs or buttocks.

Curiously although I agree with the other posters about the trend in vanity sizing, I still fit into a size 12 bridesmaid dress from 1998. It's all up to the manufacturer, no rhyme or reason or pattern or logic.

The difference in sizing from 1998 to today is not technically "vanity" sizing. The standard sizing was changed to better reflect consumer profiles in the USA. This was not to make people feel smug; it was to allow patterns to be cut that could be sold to a greater portion of the population. This goal has been one of the clothing industry for a hundred years, and they have altered clothing sizes several times following extensive consumer studies.

"Vanity" sizing is when a clothing manufacturer deliberately strays from the standard pattern sizes significantly so as to make sizes hold smaller numbers and therefore appeal to some consumers; particularly when deviating from their own published sizing. But industry-wide changing of the pattern sizes has nothing to do with psychological tricks or appeals to vanity; it is instead an attempt to make a product that is available to a greater percentage of the people.

US Standard Clothing Sizes - Wikipedia

Why Clothing Sizes Make No Sense - Slate Magazine (2012)
    Standardization of Women's Clothing - National Institute of Standards and Technology
    The Bizarre History of Women's Clothing Sizes - Time Magazine (2014)