September (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Hi all! As most of you from the August thread know, I was just diagnosed with a tibial stress fracture so my goal for the month is 0 running miles. I'm hoping to get a good amount of walking, biking, and elliptical miles in later this month though once I'm off these damn crutches! Has anyone here tried deep water running/aqua jogging? I've been toying with the idea of giving it a try, but the part of me that is overly-concerned with what others thinks doesn't want to look like a grandma at my university's gym -_-

Upcoming races that definitely aren't happening for me:
    9/10: Chicago Women's Half Marathon
    9/25: Lifetime 5K
    10/09: Chicago Marathon :cry:
    *I will, however, still be collecting my race shirts because registration ain't cheap!*

Upcoming races that I haven't completely given up hope on yet:
    10/30: Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27: Space Coast Half Marathon
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Hi all! As most of you from the August thread know, I was just diagnosed with a tibial stress fracture so my goal for the month is 0 running miles. I'm hoping to get a good amount of walking, biking, and elliptical miles in later this month though once I'm off these damn crutches! Has anyone here tried deep water running/aqua jogging? I've been toying with the idea of giving it a try, but the part of me that is overly-concerned with what others thinks doesn't want to look like a grandma at my university's gym -_-

*I will, however, still be collecting my race shirts because registration ain't cheap!*

I'm so sorry about your injury... :weary: I hope that it heals well and soon for you to get back to it. :smile:

I will be out of commission for the month of November and most of December due to a planned surgery. I'm certainly not looking forward to 6 weeks off my running. :confounded:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    I'm going for 66 miles, all planned out in advance. If I can't run one solid week without pain, I'm considering a hardcore break from all activities.
  • dowelahmed
    dowelahmed Posts: 26 Member
    Upping my goal for September to 175 miles, with the end of my C25K this week this should put me in good stead to practice my 5K runs. I'll be looking to run some 5K events later in October onwards once I get into the groove with the distance

exercise.png
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Ok, I'm not 100% firm on my September running goal, as my half marathon is on the 25th. I've done some math, and taken the last 4 weeks of the Hal Higdon Novice 2 HM plan to have a framework to get me up to the half. After that, I'll take a little bit of a cutback for a week or 2, and then I'm switching over to my newly purchased 'Faster Road Racing: 5k to Half Marathon' book by Pete Pfitzinger and Philip Latter, which, in addition to race training plans for various race lengths, also includes training plans for increasing base mileage (that's my next goal). I want to ease my way up to having the base distance required for starting their full marathon training plan.

So, all that said, and with the calculations I did, I'm setting my September goal at 100 miles. I'm pretty sure that will be the most miles I've ever run in a month, woohoo!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    @7lenny7 - Welcome! That's quite a lofty goal for a "newbie"! :lol:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Wait, @7lenny7.....don't we know you?! :-D From a few months ago?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Oh @7lenny7 ! We've missed you!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @7lenny7 welcome stranger! I'm sure you'll fit right in here :D
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    I'm going for 100 miles this month! Started walking outside and this will keep me going!
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member

exercise.png

• johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    ariceroni wrote: »

Looking at the Space Coast Half also, looks like a blast! (no pun intended)
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    @ariceroni I can tell you from experience that deep water aerobics is a bear. You can do it the grandma way and coast through it but if you put effort into it the water will push right back a tear you up. I love that stuff, a few of us did it regularly back in college and it was always a good workout, that and the old ladies got a kick out of us. If you want to make it harder just keep your belt near you and not on you so that you have to tread water but can take breaks.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    @greenolivetree now that you mention it, this place does look familiar!

It's good to be back! My daughter went back to Kansas in mid August and we dropped my oldest son off for his first year at Marquette last week. While there I got in a great 10 mile run along the Milwaukee waterfront.

Now it's just our youngest at home and the place seems so quiet. With the older two gone and with just another month of sailing I think I can find more time and desire to run. I put in 30 miles in over 4 days from Thurs-Sunday. Biggest 4 day miles in a while and it felt great!

I have a 4 mile trail run tonight. The first of a series of 4 bi-weekly races at a local park.

Upcoming Races:
    08/31/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (4 Mi) - Bloomington, MN
    09/14/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (4 Mi) - Bloomington, MN
    09/17/2016 - St. John's 5K - Savage, MN (tentative)
    09/28/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN
    10/12/2016 - Salomon Autumn Trail Series (5.5k) - Bloomington, MN
    04/13/2017 - Trail Mix 50k - Rockford, MN <-- First Ultra!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,468 Member
    @ariceroni, so sorry to hear about your stress fracture! Go for the water running!! I've not done it yet but I would have no hesitation if that were an option. I gave up caring what others think of me when I donned day-glo shirts and running tights.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @7lenny7 just because you change your picture you don't become a newbie..nice try
    @ariceroni totally sucks on the injury I'm so sorry :cry: I never heard of deep water aerobics and now that I've read @azercord description I think I'll pass on it.
    @katiejane83 you just keep adding the miles - you go girl!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Where is a good place to check your run times against averages (national/worldwide/etc)? I've got my 20km run pulled down below 1:50:00 and wanted to see how it stacked up for my age group and how much further I had to go.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Azercord wrote: »
    Where is a good place to check your run times against averages (national/worldwide/etc)? I've got my 20km run pulled down below 1:50:00 and wanted to see how it stacked up for my age group and how much further I had to go.

I only thing know of is using Athlinks. But I think that may only pull race data..
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Two pages already? You all are killing me, lol. I've got 230 on my schedule, so I'm gonna say 230. We'll see if I make it!! No leeway this month. Eeek!