• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Welcome back friend!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I had a 4 mile trail race last night (4.2 miles, actually) but it was in August so does not count towards this month's goal.

It was a very unsatisfying race. I made the rookie mistake of coming out too fast and somewhere in the second mile decide to go from race mode to training run mode. I still ended up with a decent pace of 9:28 on a course that had some nice rolling hills, but my splits were awful

8:03
    9:36
    10:07
    9:48

Yep, way too fast coming out of the gate. It would have been about right for a road race, but not trails. In addition to that mistake, I spent too much effort going around people and trying too hard to run the tangents in the first mile.

Although it was a frustrating race, I did learn a couple of things. The obvious is to go slower to start and don't treat a trail race like I would a road race. My other conclusion is that for trail running, I much prefer a long, slow run vs. a short fast run. I also learned I need more than 4.5 hours of sleep the night before a race.

This is the first of a series of 4 races, every other Wednesday so I have a chance to redeem myself in two weeks. Even if I don't improve my overall time, if I can just even out my effort I'll consider it a success.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies this month! Glad to see so many of you!

Goal for this month is 200 miles, although, much like last month, I really have no clue where I will end up, so it's really just a random number. I started the month with a nice morning run. Cold front moved through and temps were much cooler and humidity lower. It was a perfect morning for a run. So it ended up being my slowest run in a month...go figure! Of course, it was dark out and I am always slower in the dark, but I think it was more about tired legs than anything.

Sept 1-5.9 miles + 0.6 miles with puppy

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 , @ddmom0811 , @orphia, @MNLittleFinn, @elise4270, @ceciliaslater, thanks for the welcome back!

@skippygirlsmom, I thought I might slip in the back door unnoticed but you caught me.
  • beginforthelasttime16
    Options
    Complete first timer here but I need to up my exercise to get out of this plateau and I might as well tackle something that scares me too! I'm going to start off as easy as I can while still challenging myself.

exercise.png

• ebonibabe1
    ebonibabe1 Posts: 108 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't understand the ticker process. Can someone explain how to get it on here once I design it? Thank you.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @ebonibabe1 - Welcome! You have joined just by being here. So all you need to do is set a goal for how far you want to run this month and let us know how much you have run. @Stoshew71 has instructions on the Ticker on page 1 of each month's challenge. For yours you need to add in [ img ] at the beginning (including brackets, no spaces).

Edited to say that I love you pups' picture. Especially the one with the bows :)
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    Did my virtual 5k this morning! It wasn't pretty, but I did it :) (and got bling for it!)

exercise.png
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - Pete Pfitzinger plans are no joke. I'm using his 18 week - 70 mile peak plan from his Advanced Marathoning book. I do feel like I'm in the best shape of my life, but after 13-14 weeks and almost 900 miles later my legs are certainly feeling the burn. What plan are you looking at out of this book? I've considered getting this book and doing some 5k-10k work before jumping back into marathon training. Let me know how you like it.
  • ebonibabe1
    ebonibabe1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    @shanaber, thank you for both: the help and the complement on my fur babies.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/1 - 4.02 - Easy

Total 4.02 of 255 Miles

Today's run was much better than yesterdays. I had hard intervals on Tuesday and had to cut my run short yesterday at 8 miles. I know these plans are written and structured for a reason, but a hard interval session with 5k pace work followed by a 15 mile middle distance run is brutal. I'd probably have a better go of it in the morning vs evening but with kids getting ready for school now my running time is cut shorter in the morning so i've been trying to do them in the evening. 80+ degree running sucks. Have another 6 easy tonight and a 12 mile middle distance on Friday morning. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to squeeze the 12 out in the morning before dad duty, at least that is the plan. If I only get to 10-11 that will be fine as well.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    Thank you @katharmonic!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Oooh, and I finally noticed that they posted the 2017 date for the half I want to do in June! You need a passport to run it, lol https://bayoffundymarathon.com/
  • chassp8pooh
    chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Haven't run a race yet. Did hit 60 miles for August run. Going for 70 in Sept.
    exercise.png