WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - I'm sending good vibes and positive thoughts your way, sorry to hear how much the shoulder pain is impacting your activities.

Kim - That lizard story and pics are just so darn cute! Thanks for sharing!

Well I knocked off a handful of '5 minute' jobs today and it feels good to have them done. 1) raked all the bare spots in the backyard (yes, there were a lot of them due to the moles, rabbits and my deceased dog's urine killed the grass) and reseeded them. 2) clipped and trimmed the roses 3) dug up the dead pine tree, chopped it up and bagged it for trash pick up next week. 4) replaced all the broken and missing clips for my deck lights and strung new solar lights. The deck now has an after hours disco look. :D

If the storm continues to block the satellite signal I'll wander into the quilting room and sew for the evening.

Charleen in Colorado (Moolicous ice cream base is chilling in the frig, tomorrow it will be ice cream!)
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Today we are having cooler weather. It help give that little boost of energy to get extra stuff done. Went to the Y but no Pickleball class so walked the indoor track.

Meant some friends for a cup of coffee in Boise. It is at our favorite meet up place called The Lift we just sat around the fire pit enjoying conversation. It was nice to focus on others.

Thank you for your words of encouragement!

Liz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I love the nails. Have a great ride. I don't remember the dates at the moment. :embarassed:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    <3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Rori, there were some aftershocks, but not very big. Thanks <3

Janetr okc
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lenora, I hope when you get back home that the home is OK.

Set 10 and 11 lets all ride with Pip. That date has such a bad taste in so many people's minds, I am glad that Pip does something wonderful. Let do it with her.

I have had a really good day and so happy over it. I will be shutting my brain down pretty soon and hope the Icy Hot works just as well. I am looking forward to a good night's sleep from the very beginning instead of starting in the middle of the night. My hope is to be in church tomorrow morning.

Well my kids and family are going to our local amusement park tomorrow. For years this has been an annul family thing to do. We all missed it last year because of Charlie's ulcerative colitis. Not a problem this year and would have been a good test for handling and ileostomy at an amusement park. Ordering tickets on line gives you a $5 discount but Michelle has perks that get her a $10 discount and she likes 'doing' her part by being able to offer that. They had a new roller coaster last year. So I haven't gotten to ride it yet. So when Michelle asked what I wanted her to ride for me, I told her to do that one. Also the Rapids ride. If I feel as good tomorrow as I do today, we will be able to fix their favorite supper for when they get home. I'll have it ready to pop in the oven and they will call mme their expected TOA and they can just walk in and sit down and tell me all about it in 5 excited voices at one time.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Michelle in NC - Thanks, we'll be fine. Just hated that DDnL#2 couldn't stay. Had to say our 'good-byes" under a sad cloud. She started cutting my hair with co-worker who learn from one another. They were talking and co-worker was showing here, so DDnL#2 stood back and watched her do 'her' magic. I did not care who cut my hair, just looking for a change.

I guess we are at that point where some of us are having to watch our grown children lose grandparents. Worst of all, we've started losing friends and other family member.

God bless all of you.
    Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Pip – great nails!

Rori – I don’t know anyone who would like to give a sizable donation, but being in the San Francisco Bay area there must be someone, so let me know if you find yourself out this way! I’d love to met for coffee or to make dinner for us.

Barbie – thank you for letting me know about IHop’s menu, I’ve been invited to breakfast Monday and get to choose between Ihop, black bear diner and Panera – I already checked black bear and its out, Panera had a number of fine options, more than I usually have but do able, and I had not yet checked ihop… so thanks to you Panera it is… I am also so glad that you showed your love to dh by doing “his thing” and that it worked out so well.

Today was sewing sewing sewing… there is so much to do, I have 47 bags, 80 blankets, 35 polos and 14 daypacks that all came in today!!! I already had work lined up! and would like them to be all done in the next 2 weeks..I’ll have to sew like a mad woman.. and I am babysitting tonight so not even home to get started. There is a young family on my street that I sit for occasionally – 2 very nice kids..8 and 4 years old. The kids are in bed and I have with me a list of computer stuff that needs to get done… so you gals were first, now on to the work.

September Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lizard saving
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Pip- love the nails!

Janetr - I'm glad everything is okay with you!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Thanks, Mary :)

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I'm proud that I managed to do my normal exercise session this morning despite feeling **** and having woken up really early. I will have a nap this afternoon. :) It was slow, but I got it done. As you can imagine I had a good time at my nephew's party and had a good long chat session with my brother and his wife. Mainly talking about our father. A bit too much wine was drunk, so I got an expensive taxi home, rather than entrust myself to the two trains necessary.

Quiet day today. Catching up with the newspapers. Going to have my pea and ham soup for lunch. Yum. Tonight I'm going to have one of the Barbacoa-beef servings I froze. With roasted cauliflower and fresh peas that DH is going to pod. Double yum. And hardly any cooking. :D
    Of course, no alcohol.

Sending good wishes to all those struggling with low mood. <3

Heather UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, proud of myself for cooking in more and being creative with pantry items. With my favorite cup of coffee and the quiet of my kitchen in the a.m. I sat myself down and made a plan (not a habit yet) for the week, but I am getting mindful!

The oven panel has been ordered and we shall see how the DIY repair goes, we'll see :|

I love having the "bonus" weekend day tomorrow before tackling 2nd week of school. NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Kim – the lizard was a beauty. Your kind heart does you credit, as always.

Lillian – hope your mom’s garage sale was an amazing success.

Marcelyn – hope the delay is over-precautious, and the CT scan and tests show it’s just a scare, nothing worrisome.

Tracey – I’m so sorry for your loss.

JanetR – My daughter was shaken up in Missouri, an hour past Springfield, by the same earthquake. Glad you and yours are OK. In terms of whether it’s the fracking that’s causing them, there is a lot of interesting research out there that the fracking is not directly associated with the quakes, but the salt-water disposal from the oilfield activity actually does have a correlation and possibly causation. Saltwater disposal pumps oilfield-used and contaminated water back down into underground fissures, supposedly far away from any water table… Might seem like a moot point, but fracking is followed by drilling which then relieves the pressures caused. SWD is not, and they think that’s what’s causing the earthquakes. Fracking is what’s keeping the US at the top of energy production, and relieving our dependency on foreign oil. There are other means to dispose of saltwater, and that’s what needs to be resolved. I’m in oil country too, and have written about it recently.

DJ – hope you’re still above water! On the subject of not eating veggies – I do eat potatoes, both regular and sweet, and will occasionally eat a green bean. I will also eat pinto beans, navy beans and some of the others. And, as long as my husband adds them to one of his concoctions, will occasionally eat something like celery. Last night was cassoulet, which had grilled chicken thighs, grilled sausage and white beans, with salsa verde and celery diced very small. He simmered it on the stove for about an hour, so the beans made a lovely white sauce. He didn’t bother to tell me about the celery until something crunched and I asked him what it was. The flavor was aMAZing, he’s such an awesome cook, and for me, he learned to cook without a bunch of added fat or cream sauces. My taste buds find all green vegetables bitter and will only eat them when they’re drowned in cheese or other high-fat sauces, so I just gave up on them. And root vegetables like beets, turnips, etc., taste like dirt. And not good dirt, either… :) If I were perfect, you know, I’d just be annoying. My DH has been known to make an all-vegetable gravy by blending a bunch together with spices and herbs that make it palatable to me.

Melissa in S. Fla. - hope you’re above water, too.

Katla – so glad adjusting the DH’s meds has made such a difference for both of you!

Carol in GA/Peach – I loved your haircut….

Becca – glad you’re OK, and yes, I agree—it’s our minds that push us toward the food. We’ve pretty much disconnected our ability to actually know when hunger is real and when it’s just our busy little minds lying to us. The six months after my gastric bypass was the only time period in my life when I’ve not lived in a constant state of what my mind identifies as hunger. It was a revelation. Some switch goes awry inside our bodies (the medicos think it has something to do with ghrelin, I think) and when they turn that off for a little while with the surgery, you realize that your body’s been flooding your brain with “I’m hungry” signals that are simply untrue. The struggle is real--but when you know it's a lie, it helps you to cope with the incessant demands.

Penny at the Pole – thinking about you. Stress is both inevitable and tortuous. I try to convince myself that how I react to it is the only part I can control, but even that seems too much to bear on occasion.

Barbie – I love the IHOP story with your DH.

Vicki in NE – glad to see you, too… :)

Allie – I’m glad Tom gave you the car. Men show their love in some interesting ways, don’t they?

Vicki in NE – thanks—I always look for your posts.

Pip – the nails are da bomb.

Joyce – I’m glad the Icy-Hot is controlling the pain somewhat for you. I did not find Voltaren useful in the slightest. Happy anniversary to you and Charlie! I’m sorry the amusement park wasn’t in the cards for you this year.

Rori – Yep, I can focus on my writing, my health, make long-term plans, etc. I slept for six straight hours without any medication to assist last night, without grinding my teeth, and woke up rested and relaxed. Hadn’t realized how much all this was weighing on me until the weight was lifted.

Kim from NoCal – remember to breathe! Thank you for the comments on everything I put up.

Second cup of coffee burbling away in the coffee pot… lovely cool morning in West Texas, I just so enjoy it when fall returns here. If past years are anything to go by, “fall” means literally that. Some signal goes up in the desert air, and all of the trees planted by homesick Easterners simply let every leaf fall at once. You can probably here the “whump” as they drop all the way up in Oklahoma!

When the DH came in with the job in hand, my near future did what we in East Texas called an “*kitten*-end swap.” All the possibilities and plans have changed again, and I’m happier for it than I could have imagined. One of the reasons my posting dropped off for so long was that I was so up in my own stress and worry and juggling so many uncertainties, I didn’t feel I could contribute much here. Glad to be back…

As far as the warehouse—we’re just going to treat it like it’s ours until it’s not. We went into Odessa and picked up a couple of base cabinets for the office kitchen area and a top for it, and we’ll get that finished today. I may go get the bare wood stained and oiled down before the DH gets up, so that I won’t have to do that after the top’s on. We had been using an old computer desk that had seen better days, and was completely open, always messy looking, so it will be nice to come in and fix lunch each day in a less chaotic space.

Speaking of which, I’ll be able to have lunch with my husband most days again, as his new employer literally shuts down from 12 to 1 for lunch. We’ll have similar hours, 8 to 5 – there are always evening meetings for City Council and the school board that I attend, but only a few times a month. And they shut the whole company down for a couple weeks each year and everyone goes on vacation. Love small towns.

Welcome to those who are new—these people have been a source of continuity and support in my life for nearly a year and a half now, and it has been more than helpful to both my mental and physical health.

Love y’all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! OOoooo man! Am I sore today! I spent yesterday morning standing at my counter prepping fruit/veg for the week and then prepping, cooking, packaging meals (8 pounds of chicken grilled). Had a lunch of grilled chicken, rice and cucumbers with DH and DYS before he went to work. Then I headed out to get the mowing and yard work done. I had planned to only mow the front and side yards, but decided I had better do the back yard as well. That took about 2 1/2 hours. Then I had to rake up the cut grass and bag it. Then I say that DH had started to edge the driveway, but gave up (that darn RA), so I edged the driveway and cleaned that up. Edging kicked up so much sand (being close to the beach we have sand and sandy soil) I was tempted to just leave the sand on the driveway, rake it and call it a zen garden. Hoo-boy! I was finished with everything by 7:00, jumped in the shower while dh put a pizza in the oven. Ate dinner and literally crawled into bed. DH followed in a short time and snuggled up and all I could say was "PLEASE, don't touch me." LOL! He replied with "Hey! That's my line!" Thanks to his RA he was very understanding about the soreness and pain. Brought me ibuprofen and water and actually rubbed some mint lotion on my feet. I guess I will keep him.
    Janet- I heard about the earthquake while I was listening to the announcers chatter before one of the football games that was on yesterday! Glad you are okay. But what a way to wake up!
    Becca- I am right there with you in the struggle to overcome the urges and cravings. And the reasoning of "Why can't I beat this?" I used to smoke many years ago, but was able to quit cold turkey. It is amazing to me the hold that food seems to have on me. All I can say is hang in there! I am hanging right beside you!
    Lisa- Your "a**-end swap" is something that we are going through also. It feels like a life line has been thrown. For so many years to be just treading water to keep our heads above water, a change of circumstance that we initially thought was another obstacle to overcome, turned out to be a catalyst to getting us further ahead. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and we are just starting into it. Feels SO good! So happy for you!
    Pip- Love your nails! You are going to rock the ride! Will keep sending good thoughts/prayers to you and Kirby as you prepare for the ride!
    Penny- hope you find relief from the stress. Thinking of you <3 You are an active lady, so I know you will remember to go out and "walk it away" and just breathe in the good air!

Well, I think that is all for now. Not sure how much movement I will get in today. Feet are very sore; I think I will plan on a swim instead.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK

Did my charity walk this morning, about 3,00 people were there and rain stayed off. As I said yesterday it wasn't competative just fun and fund raising. I did about 6K
    Now off to town with DH for a celebratory drink or two
    Enjoy rest of your weekend and good health to all ❤️❤️

Kate UK
  • janetr7476
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Awww, Lisa, like a home coming to have you back among us.

I have to admit, that as excited as I am for our travels to begin in a few short days now, I am concerned about leaving my home in some one elses care. My "things" that I treasure, my obsession with order and cleanliness, etc these things are jumbling up my thots. Have not slept well the last several nights. Jack's youngest son, his three kids, his girlfrienf and her young son were here most of the afternoon and evening. Son's kids will be here with him all weekend. Son has moved in to avoid paying a months rent at the rental house he has been at. Going from just Jack and I and relative quietness to utter chaos has me bit unsettled. I have to admit as I grow older I become more and more set in my ways. Makes me even more ready to get in the motor home and go, and get back to our routine peace and quiet. Hopefully then I can push the concern for the care of our home to a small corner of my mind.

Janetr okc

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Birdie9429 wrote: »
    Hello,

After many starts and stops I thought I would give posting a try on myfitnesspal. I am still not that big on sharing info online, but what I am doing isn't working. So this go round I would like to post here. Taking care of everyone else leaves little energy for me, but with school starting and my elders in a healthy period Sept seems to be for me. Let's hope the habits kick in before the next family crisis. In times of stress taking care of me reverts to what is quick and what is habit. I didn't start on the 1st or a Monday so that should help too. After one day I have logged my food and exercise. I have 70 pounds to go.

Hermine has proven to just be a rain day for us. We have been so dry during August here. It is welcomed.

For Sept. I will log my food daily regardless of what I eat and exercise for 1 hr 5 days a week. I will also post here, at least weekly, to let you gals know what is going on with me.

Can someone please explain the difference between a group and a message board?

Thanks,
    Birdie

Welcome Birdie... I can relate to some of your issues....elder care can be extremely stressful and it is hard to find the time to care for ones self. Being here on this thread helps, we are not alone in our struggles with elder care, family crisis. Everyone deals with those things differently, and if you find one little tidbit here to help you get through the day, well that is a bonus.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I think mom's garage sale was a great success!! All the boxes from under the tables are now up on the tables. All the big furniture is gone, wall units and beds, scooter and even the Acorn chairlift from in the house.

Oh geeze.... people are coming for coffee....The couch was not ready to release me!!! And I am still in my jammies !!

Later everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-25X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    2 miles

<3