WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Kim - lol good one!!

Barbie - I lived in Southern California for 4 years and went thru many earthquakes there also. I don't get too upset about them either. If things began to crack and break that might be different. By the way, OK now averages more earthquakes a year than CA. It's Nuts!!

Becca/Kim - I so totally understand. The mental game is definitely the hardest part of it all. Our brains are a powerful tool, retraining them takes time, effort and above all repetition. Hang in there ladies, we can do this!

Janetr OKC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

It's been a good week ... Overtired ... Lots yet to do ... But everything is good.

Younger son is doing well ... More ups than downs. Older son had been struggling but now seems to be in an up swing. Aide scheduling is finally coming together and I can put that hat back on the shelf.

DH and I are getting ready for his Wednesday back surgery. I've overextended the muscles in MY back trying to keep him from further damaging his. The pool is closed, most summer things put away, snow tires (I know) are out of storage and ready. Anything I can think of that he might try to do prematurely I have taken care of!

The weighing daily is interesting as food choices do cause fluctuations due to sodium levels, etc. An uptick reigned me in mid-week so that's a win!

Farmer friend continues to bless with bushels of tomatoes, so busy storing them.

Allie ... I'm glad Tom saw your worth and did something nice ... You deserve the car (and a lot more)... Remember that!

Becca ... Wish I knew how to do what I want to do instead of what I don't ... It's a daily if not minute by minute battle. When I'm convinced I'm worth it, I do better ... Probably a lesson in that alone

Lisa ... I like reading about your life!

Penny ... Sending peaceful, calming thoughts your way ...

Beth near Buffalo
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Another rainy day today. Horses are standing around in the shelter.Needing to get some things done as we are having family over for Labor Day. Hope we can find some dry wood for the fire pit.

KJ - Congratulations on the new grandbaby.

Katla - Hope you have a wonderful time on your trail ride.

Kim - Glad you were able to free the lizard. You seem to be having quite the critter adventures in that garden.

Lisa - Good to hear from you again. Glad things are working out despite all the twists and turns.

Janetr - Glad that earthquake did not bother you too much.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK

Rained all day today but we are promised some warmer weather next week. Just hope it doesn't rain tomorrow morning as I'm doing a charity walk for Alzheimers Society, the walks are taking place around the country during this month. My "Memory Walk" is around our local Country Park an estate which was willed to the people of the City. Not sure of the distance but it is not competitive so it takes as long as it takes.

Family came to pick up bunk beds this morning and DH said "what's the plan for the space, fill it with more stuff?" Where does all the stuff come from. We took a load of things to charity shop yesterday but always end up with more.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend ❤️❤️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    oulkxldtmm1q.jpeg
    ukrlo1c5vvys.jpeg
    9ydbao0ewgws.jpeg

My nails r ready to ride next week!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    6ul5r5pkfifo.jpeg

Other hand
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Birdie: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Becca: It is good to see you posting! Three bits of advice: 1. Measure your portions, 2. Log every bite and swallow. 3. Let MFP set your calorie goal. The program will lower your allowed calories as the weight comes down. It doesn't work out in the long run to starve yourself or to try to hurry things along. (((HUGS)))

Penny: Stress can be a killer, and job stress is high on the list. I hope things start going your way soon. :heart:

Thanks to all who wished me a fun trail ride. We had three riders and four dogs along on our adventure. It was fun, although I was in trouble with my teacher more than once for letting my horse trot to catch up. I clearly need improvement on rating my horse's speed. We saw predator scat along the road that was likely coyote or bobcat. DH & I have seen wild cougar here in the past, but it was several years ago. It is a possibility in our area.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pip,love the nailpolish. Thanks for all you do for MS. When is your ride so we all can do our own rides on our bikes with you. I can see all your dog hairs are there with you.

I am very ready for our stove to give out. It was bought in 1978 when we had the house built. The refrig and dishwasher has already given out, the sink is all chipped, breakfast bar is still in good shape. Stove, sink and breakfast bar are avocado green!

Tonight we went to Red Lobster for our anniversary meal. I think I surprised Charlie when I said I wanted to go tonight but this Icy Hot is working well enough that the pain is do-able. Broiled flounder is always my choice there. Enjoyed my biscuits, maybe a bit to much. The waitress gave us a bag of 6 in a to go bag. But I knew if I brought any home they would be for Michelle. Now she has enough to either freeze or give to her roommate or boyfriend. While we were there, I could hear a small child in the booth behind me. She had quite an imagination and sounded like a quick minded and darling young girl. Mom was talking on the cell phone and daughter asked her if they had any purple party hats. She kept on asking her Mom and her Mom kept on talking on the cell phone while daughter was there by herself. Eventually little girl says 'for Pete's sake Mom'. She said thanks to the person on the phone and hung up and paid attention to her daughter. I just wanted to go there and rip that cell phone away.

Joyce, Indiana
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Pip Fun! love it!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Jmkmom- it's on sep 10 and 11th. We will start riding at 7am. We will b up for breakfast at 6am. We will b riding probably the 60mi route. So we will b back at around 12 or 1 on dy one. Start riding at 7am on day 2. Might b doing the 54 mi route , depends not on how he feels.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Oh the PST time
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Been in LA for nearly 10 days. Weigh in on Tuesday. Won't be surprised if ###s are all up, but food has been fabulous!!!!! Today we went to "The Old Country Store Restaurant" in Lorman, MS. Good old Southern cooking. I gave up and just tracked "Thanksgiving Meal" for CI. Have not exercised too much either. But, only see DYS & DDnL#2 a couple of times a year. I've been so close to goal, that I just won't worry about it. I'll be back to my way of eating tomorrow night. Getting close to 'normal' BMI, new wardrobe, and now a new hairdo. Told my DH of 44 years (8/20) that now he can say I'm his "trophy wife" and he did not even have to get a divorce.
    DDnL#2 came to me and said she had to go, her DGM is probably not going to make it through the night and she just could not leave her Mama alone. She's so close to both. We'll probably get home to find that DDnL#1's DGM won't make it through the week either.

Sorry for all the storms and earthquakes for those of you having to go through them. We missed the hurricane, but if we had had any damage our DOS hasn't called about it. Not that there was anything we could have done about it, this far away.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Welcome to the newbies.

Lenora
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Lisa, what a nice story! It's such a relief when one can start planning for the short-term again, as you are for your articles. I need to have both short- and long-term goals or else I feel unbalanced and unsettled. These days I'm not sure what my long-term goals are...

Karen, Your cherry tomatoes are lovely! I love slightly dried tomatoes--you're right, the flavor is so rich.

Pip, The nails are great!

Marcelle, What a wonderful day. I'm envious. Congrats on the weight loss. I find that this thread really keeps me motivated. If I have a day when I don't want to exercise I just post what I plan to do, and then I go do it. Works every time! (And my fingers are crossed that it will continue to do so.)

Kim, What a cool lizard! We have blue-tailed skinks around here, and I adore seeing them. The first time I ever saw one was at Monticello. I oohed and ahhed, my son was very blase about it.

Today I weeded the garden for the first time since my surgery. It really needed it! And there's plenty more to do. I also pruned the redbud--it needs a bit more, but it's finally looking good.

Katla, I'm so glad your DH is more like himself. What a relief it must be!

Tomorrow evening we're having good friends for dinner, and I feel all cooked out. Not sure what I should make.

Liz, My thoughts are with you during this hard time.

KarenE
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Kathy Kaehler Total Body Workout DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Power Yoga DVD

Tracey - I'm so so sorry

Lisa - how wonderful for Corey!

KJ - I try to go on Pinterest as little as possible for exactly the same reason -- I get too many ideas, it takes up so much of my time. But I guess I will have to look...life sure is tough some times :) Oh, wow, that rib platter sure looks neat! thank you so much

Exercised then went to the farmer's market. They didn't have any beets yet, mostly the same old things. then stopped at the Salvation Army. Almost didn't. Everything there was 50% off I got these things that I think are covers for doors for 24 cents each and a bottle for $1. I may put olives (Eye of Newt) in it. And if I don't use it, I can just redonate it. Then home and Vince cut the grass under the power lines and the front yard and I did the self-propelled mower and weedwacking. He figures tomorrow he'll cut the backyard and I'm thinking that I'll put down the weed killer and sweep if I need to

janetr - so glad you are safe after that earthquake

Melissa - welcome back!

birdie - welcome! Share as much as you're comfortable sharing. Pretty soon you just might find yourself sharing more than you ever thought you would share

I forgot who asked, but DD stands for "Darling" (or any other appropriate "d" word) Daughter

NYKaren - sounds like your hubby and mine are cut from the same cloth. Vince does the same thing when something breaks -- goes to uTube and sees if he can do it himself. That's how he learned how to change the belt on the tractor.

katla - great news about your hubby!

Vicki - so glad you didn't take a big tumble. sorry about your back, tho

pip - love those nails! Yo always have such interesting ones

Lenora - so sorry about all the tragedy in your family.

Michele in NC
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn: If your Colorado venture takes you anywhere near Red Rocks, you’ll be right in my ‘hood. Message me if you’d like to meet for coffee. B)

Katla: Wonderful to hear that DH is BETTER!!! :)

Kim: That lizard story is uplifting. Great photos, too. o:)

Allie: How are you enjoying your new ride? That’s such a cool present and you are so deserving. o:)

Karen: What a bounty of cherry tomatoes. I just love all the bright colors. :o

Lisa: Yay for you and Corey. Now you can focus on your writing and health, right? ;)

Tracey: So sorry for your loss. ((hugs)) :'(

Janet: Hope that earthquake isn’t generating any damage or aftershocks. :|

DJ: Would love to get to Myrtle Beach…will keep trying to make it happen. I’m a professional non-profit fundraiser and my travels center around visiting donors. Do you know any folks in your area who like to make significant charitable contributions? :*

Becca: I don’t have the answers for you. I’m a similar, imperfect human who runs the gamut with discipline around food. :( Please don’t beat yourself up about the past choices. You’re making progress, at your pace, with your most authentic effort and attitude. Smile and get back in the saddle with your affirmations, daily cooking and singing. :D

NYKaren: Long distance cheerleading here hoping your DH gets the oven panel fixed. :)

Joyce: Great to read that something as simple as icy hot made a significant difference in your pain. Happy anniversary (and many more) to you and Charlie. <3 Shaking my head reading about that mom and her cellphone.

Penny: Deep breaths. Sorry you are under stress. :'(

Barbie: Good to know that I-Hop has a light and healthy alternative. I haven’t been to one in over 10 years. My fingers feel sticky just thinking about the assortment of syrups on the table.

Vicki: How lovely to have daily chats with your DGD. That fall sounds painful. :s Sure hope you heal up fully and quickly.

Beth: Bravo for all you are doing to not only take care of both sons and DH, but yourself as well. o:) I weigh in daily, log the number in a little book, then have it in my mind as I go about making my food choices for the day.

Pip: You’ll have the hottest looking nails in the race. B)

My four-legged alarm went off at 3:00 AM today. >:) He has not yet learned that I don’t need an early wake up on weekends. Ugh. Spent the morning power washing our little concrete porch, which required moving all the planters out of the way, then putting them all back. I was drenched, but fortunately already in my swimsuit, so just went right to the pool to do a few stretches and exercises in the water. My back is sore, though. :# Might have to borrow DH’s tube of icy hot.

Chicken thighs in marinara sauce (jar type) in the Instant Pot are done. From frozen to done in less than an hour. Also have made up muffin sized mini-cheese souffles. DH is enjoys these as an appetizer.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    ((((((hugs ladies))))) I watched a program yesterday called "Mr Rogers and Me" about a guy who was indeed Mr. Rogers neighbor on Nantucket! Mr. Rogers always told me as I was growing up that he liked me just the way I was, and that I was special.... Another thing he told his neighbors was "to live deeply and lead simple lives. So that is my goal this month. To live a deep and simple life.
    (Pip love yer nails....but you gotta think....and noooo it doesn't hurt girl....HA!)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    t113013.gif
    Katla, thank you for sharing about your riding....I don't know much about it so I'm learning a lot from you

Joyce, Happy Anniversary.....Red Lobster sounds like a great place to go...glad you felt well enough to go...those biscuits are a big weakness for me....if I had six of them in the house, I'd eat them all...fortunately the nearest Red Lobster is an hour away from us.

Pip, those nails are awesome...I love how you make such great preparations for the MS ride..enjoy the scenery...I'll be thinking of you next weekend

Vicki, sorry about your fall, but glad it wasn't any worse than it was

Becca, one of my happiness commandments is "Stay in the Moment"....that helps me avoid wallowing around in past mistakes (I'm older than you are, so I might have more past mistakes than someone younger)

Rori
    , There were two fit and healthy items on the whole menu at I-Hop and four jugs of syrup on the table, which tells you about their focus.....the most important thing about this morning was that I accepted Jake's invitation to go out with alacrity and worked at enjoying myself instead of fussing about my own agenda.

We tried to take a nap this afternoon but gave up after the third phone call.

sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif So, early to bed again.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

146200.png
    The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."-- Yutang Lin