WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• mamatigerj
    mamatigerj Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Liz ~ You are in my prayers.

DJ ~ I love the belly dancer picture; that is exactly how I feel I will be!

Lisa ~ Congrats to your hubby! I enjoyed reading your story.

Marcelyn ~ Sorry you are in such pain. I hope you enjoy your trip home.

Janet ~ Hope you and yours are all safe and sound.

Mary ~ I like that you post your exercise each day; it's inspiring.

Happy Saturday!
    Juanita
    Central TX
  • meuy43
    meuy43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Haven't been on MFP in a year or so and am getting back into it now that the kids are back in school and all is settling back to a routine after summer. This board is a great motivation for me! Thanks y'all

Melissa in South Florida
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: I'm so pleased to hear that Corey has had a good job offer and that you'll be able to continue editing the paper. It is such a nice fit for both of your talents and interests. Congratulations! :smiley:

Janet OKC: Are they fracking again? I hope the rest of your day is better. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Logging is amazingly effective at motivating good behavior and managing weight. :bigsmile:

DH is transforming before my eyes. He decided to quit taking baclofen and the difference being off of it has made so far is astounding. His attitude & coordination have both soared. I feel like I'm getting my husband back after a long detour into the edges of the zombie zone. :heart: :bigsmile: :heart: Riding lesson today! Yay! The plan is to have another trail ride. I feel incredibly lucky. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    A quick hidee ho,on my phone .dad and I got to N.H.at 8 this morning,my DB and I are out running errands will check in later
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kim ~ Love the lizard!

Lisa ~ Glad Cory got a more permanent job. I can see why the crafting store might not be a great idea. I don't know if it's the economy or what but my DH's antique sales are way down and my online vintage jewelry sales are a bust.

KJ ~ That's a really spooky platter! LOL Bet Michelle will love it.

Lillian ~ Good luck on your sale.

Janet ~ Sorry about the quake. Hope your belongings were not harmed and y'all are safe.

It is so nice and cool here today! Praise the Lord!

Carol
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Knocking out a lot of errands today, exercise and then on to yard work. Gotta get it in before the rains come. :s

I have decided to join the TRX class at my gym, it only meets once a week and I have scheduled it on my calendar which means I will "uphold" the commitment! ;)

To all in the path of weather (not to mention earthquakes) stay safe!

Welcome new posters, keep checking in, this works!

NYKAREN
  • Birdie9429
    Birdie9429 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,

After many starts and stops I thought I would give posting a try on myfitnesspal. I am still not that big on sharing info online, but what I am doing isn't working. So this go round I would like to post here. Taking care of everyone else leaves little energy for me, but with school starting and my elders in a healthy period Sept seems to be for me. Let's hope the habits kick in before the next family crisis. In times of stress taking care of me reverts to what is quick and what is habit. I didn't start on the 1st or a Monday so that should help too. After one day I have logged my food and exercise. I have 70 pounds to go.

Hermine has proven to just be a rain day for us. We have been so dry during August here. It is welcomed.

For Sept. I will log my food daily regardless of what I eat and exercise for 1 hr 5 days a week. I will also post here, at least weekly, to let you gals know what is going on with me.

Can someone please explain the difference between a group and a message board?

Thanks,
    Birdie
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    DJ. It's vaguely possible I'm a cheese-a-tarian. :p
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, yes we are fine. It certainly shook us around. I was sitting in the Florida room and began to think it was never going to stop. Things on walls and shelves rattled but nothing fell. Further north there has been some damage but nothing major. Lot of stuff fell off shelves at stores, etc.

Katla - they have never stopped the fracking. Some fracking sites were forced to shut down but many, many more are still working.

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hey Everyone! So it isn't that I hate this computer, its that I hate the relearning.... I am well, though, but have been kind of melancholy lately. Disappointed in myself, and my progress. I am a smart intelligent person, why can't I conquer this? Wouldn't my brain realize that this struggle of choices and options can be overcome, by just picking a lifestyle that is healthy?? Why does the human condition choose inner conflict over inner peace? I am baffled, and though I am trying to look forward, I can't help looking back at all the choices and roads I have taken that (if I had only had more stick-to-it-ness to my eating) I would be at a different place right now.
    I am always curious about our routines, how we do the same thing every day, learned behavior, yet with our eating we are all over the place. Our choices shift like the winds! Our desires change and I suppose its because our eating routine is linked to our emotions. I have an emotional connection to food, and unlike my fantasy of being in Tuscany Italy and enjoying food, I have made food a pleasure. That's not to say I over-indulge in food on a daily basis, but most of the time I am one thought away from it. That is frustrating and sabotages me. I can "think"myself into eating wrong, before I have even taken a bite of anything. Is that mental or what??
    thoughts?
    Becca in
    Oregon
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Agghhhhh. Our whirlpool oven control panel has broken (only 3 years old!!!). Of course DH is on a crusade to get it fixed. And oh how I love when this man gets like this! Loaded for bear, dog with a bone, man with a purpose. He is you tubing how to fix and then ordering the part to save us $400 to fix(@&@&@!!!) or a whole new appliance $800. :'( If he does it himself it will only cost $70. Plus a whole lot of DIY sweat equity.

And how come my mother's oven lasted 30 years without being replaced or repaired and she cooked for a family of 10!
    NYKAREN
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Lisa – not too long of a post at all, I love your writing style, so glad Scott and Corey connected, networking is the way of the world. And glad that the warehouse selling is more stress free…. Who knows what the next chapter twist will be.

Tracey – Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcelyn - sending good thoughts… don’t like the sound of the postponement.

Janetr – a new meaning to rocking you !

Becca – our brains are linked!!!! I can be driving home, with water, cheery tomatoes (I love these), and have had a healthy lunch and will think oh wouldn’t a _____________, be wonderful – what the ? no it would not be wonderful, I am not hungry, I do not want to spend money, what the? But my brain getting in to a rut telling me how wonderful some crap I am thinking of would be…

August Goals:
    2 fun things a week, visiting with college prof, walking tour of tea gardens, birthday hike, learning to set and catch a gopher, planning camping trip, dinner at a new Chinese restaurant, trying coffee beer. 4 fab! Days of camping

Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Birdie, you sound a bit like me. Stick with us!

Sorry, ladies, but I'm not in shape to write much just now. Mainly stress, not other problems, so don't you worry about me. :wink:

Just want to say - before I forget:

Carol Peach - Nice hairdo!

Allie - Great that you got a new car! And about the musty smell in the laundry, I used to have that problem, but once I started drying off the seal in the washing machine after every wash, it disappeared. (Sorry if I've already written this once. Sometimes I can't remember what I've actually posted.)

Katla - I haven't forgotten about posting my sourdough bread recipe, just too much other stuff going on right now! I promise I'll post it soon!

Congrats on your megabucks for MS, Pip!

Very sorry to hear about the losses of dear ones.

Goals for September? I'd better have some, especially since I haven't had any since July... :noway: Get back to you later on that...

/Penny, writing in haste from the North Pole

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    DJ, I will be glad when I stop seeing awful looking radar aour your area. 8 inches of rain! WOW. Glad it is subsiding.

Janetr, hope it OK where you are. Why can't Mother nature get along with us???

Kim, loved the story and pics of your lizard. I don't know how many times I have read stories of a wold animal getting caught in something but sits patiently while we slowly release them.

B/P continues to be fairly stable. I take one b/p pill in the morning and take one other in the evening. I was taking 2 in AM and 2 PM. Plus it just feels better. The bursitis is another matter. My PCP ordered Valtaren gel yesterday but it had not gotten it's approval. My sister had several tubes and gave me one. I had worn the sample patch one night and the relief was wonderful but I am thinking it was a placebo effect since the 2nd night it didn't give me any relief. This gel gave me diddly squat relief. So I got up and looked to see if she had given me an expired tube. It wasn't but I got the patient info sheet out and even though it is topical, it had so many warnings of causing GI bleeding I am just not comfortable using it. So I went in and washed it off. I had forgotten that Michelle had given me a bottle of Icy Hot but I found it trying to find my keys yesterday after lunch. So i got up, took another Narco and used the Icy Hot. I slept like a baby after that. The patient insert for the Voltaren gave info on different joints. My pin isn't joint. It is nerve, bursitis big time. And this ice hot right on the label says it soothes hurting, burning nerves. So I will continue using it and see what I am like. But last night I was so tired my body was just watching the clock form 7 PM on just waiting for it to reach 10 PM to go to bed. But then I didn't sleep until around 2:30. Barbie was probably just getting up to walk her dogs or Allie to do some laundry.

Really need to do some basic housework before the kids come in tomorrow night. Next week we will go to Red Lobster for our special meal.

Joyce, Indiana where it is still beautiful weather
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Hey Everyone! So it isn't that I hate this computer, its that I hate the relearning.... I am well, though, but have been kind of melancholy lately. Disappointed in myself, and my progress. I am a smart intelligent person, why can't I conquer this? Wouldn't my brain realize that this struggle of choices and options can be overcome, by just picking a lifestyle that is healthy?? Why does the human condition choose inner conflict over inner peace? I am baffled, and though I am trying to look forward, I can't help looking back at all the choices and roads I have taken that (if I had only had more stick-to-it-ness to my eating) I would be at a different place right now.
    I am always curious about our routines, how we do the same thing every day, learned behavior, yet with our eating we are all over the place. Our choices shift like the winds! Our desires change and I suppose its because our eating routine is linked to our emotions. I have an emotional connection to food, and unlike my fantasy of being in Tuscany Italy and enjoying food, I have made food a pleasure. That's not to say I over-indulge in food on a daily basis, but most of the time I am one thought away from it. That is frustrating and sabotages me. I can "think"myself into eating wrong, before I have even taken a bite of anything. Is that mental or what??
    thoughts?
    Becca in
    Oregon

I try not to think.. It hurts
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    Row- 30min, 5021meters, 61aw = 216c
    Other- 1hr, various machines, 3sets of 15, 30-70#'s, Bosu ball, 11# ball toss = 276c
    Other-26min, fill up dog food bins = 60c
    552 total cal
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    <3Joyce, I'm so sorry that you have such a collection of health problems now...I am sending healing thoughts your way.....yes, you're right about what time I get up..Bernie wakes me around 2:30 and I get up to walk the dogs around 3:00....of course, I was in bed by 7:15 PM and asleep soon after that

:)Lisa, I enjoyed the most recent chapter of your life saga---I worked in the same town at the same job for more than 30 years of my professional life, so your life is very interesting to me.

:)Janetr. we lived in California most of my life so the uncertainty of earthquakes is very familiar to me

<3Becca, we are all on this thread because of our relationship with food.....there are other people who turn to sex, gambling, drugs, food, or shopping when stressed or emotional (I do none of those things)

:)Birdie, welcome, I hope you will keep coming back. I had never shared on a message board before MFP and it has made a great difference in my life and my weight loss journey. There are many differences between a group and message board. Groups required "joining" (usually a simple process) and can have many message boards going at the same time as part of the group. A thread or message board is much simpler...you join just by posting. If you want to know more about the differences, just ask us. To find your way back to us, you have to "bookmark" the thread by clicking on the empty star at the top of the page (right above the page numbers) and then click on the gray star at the top to get back to us.

:) On Gretchen Rubin's latest podcast she talked about showing love to your sweetheart by doing something with him that he liked to do even if you wouldn't ordinarily do it. I had just listened to the podcast when I got home from walking the dogs and Jake said that he'd really like to have a poached egg on an English muffin with coffee and orange juice at I-Hop. I don't like I-Hop, I don't like restaurants, and I had a long list of things I wanted to do, but I said, "I can go take my shower and be ready in a few minutes". We ended up ordering one of their only two "light and healthy" choices for less than 400 calories and spent the time talking about plans for clean-up and bulb planting in the yard.

<3 Barbie from cloudy NW Washington

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend. It is my weekend and holiday to work so will be here the next 4 days. I am so far behind I just jumped to September and go from here. Eating the last couple days has been better. I need to get to walking again. Thursday night we were at the State fair at the Chris Tomlin concert. Coming back from the restroom I tripped going down the stairs. Thank goodness for the middle rail or who knows how far I would of went down. Back across the shoulders is sure sore and makes moving slow. I just felt so stupid.
    Sending prayers to those in the path of the storm. My phone has gone off several times today telling me it is getting stronger as it heads for land.
    Allie--I hope you enjoy your new car!
    DJ--Sorry to hear about your friends DD and children. Sending prayers.
    DGD has started calling me every evening. They moved and now have a land line. She sounds so grown up. She is 8 and tells me about her day. DS tells me he has to call me to find out what she is dong.
    KJ--Sounds like you had a great couple weeks with all your projects. I want to come to your house. Congrates on the new grandbaby. They are the greatest!!
    Jane--Sending prayers and healing hugs. Glad things went better then expected.
    Joyce--I hope you did take a nap. You have to take care of you. Congrates on your 44th.
    Liz--Sorry to hear about the way things are going. You do what is right for you and DD. We are hear to listen. Sending hugs and prayers.
    Kim--Glad your little friend was ok and you were able to set him free.
    Lisa--Sounds like things are falling into place for the chapter. Thanks for sharing.
    Katla--Hope you have a good ride today and great news about DH.
    Penny--Hugs!!!!
    I started at the first of September and caugh up. My goal for this month is to keep up and log everybite.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE