WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies – Well, I missed four days of reading/posting and was over 300 pasts behind. We are a chatty group.  I have skipped forward to page 15 and have read forward from there, but no time to comment on most posts today. Work has been busy and my hubby has been out of town on business since Sept. 1, so lots to get done and no time to do it.

Have to make my daughter some dinner before she heads off to work and then I’m heading to the gym. Will eat later. I have a question for all of you. Has anyone tried Natural Hormone Therapy for menopause symptoms? There is a place here called New Leaf Wellness that specializes in this type of therapy and I’m interested in what experience others may have had with similar things?

Linda/IA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    afternoon all~
    I am pooped..... long day have been up since 3:30 , and got alot done .. well went out with Doris and am sad to say had to buy myself some fat clothes... I got leggings 3x , that is the largest I have ever been, I really have to get a handle on things, but need to have clothes I can wear right now...
    sugar and grazing are my down fall. and with the freezer out, most of the veggies are at my dsil house.. will see what I can conjour up to start back on track....
    got home around 2 this afternoon and mowed the lawn and I was smart and made the taco meat for Tom this morning... tomorrow working 9-5 and Saterday 7:30-noon and Hoping to have Taliah overnight Saterday... I did put the big in Tracy's ear .. we havent had her overnight since they moved back June first, but the other grandma had her alot this summer...
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Sitting here listening to a man play the ancient Chinese song Too Ning on my piano. It's painful. lol

Marcelyn
    in Houston
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Juanita, welcome and rest assured that you are not the only introvert here! Not easy for me to post sometimes either but we just have to step out of comfort zones occasionally and these ladies don't bite!

Not doing great on exercise since Monday but hoping to get back on track.

I was wondering if there are any ladies here who are over 70? 80? Most of us seem to be 50s and 60s. Wondering if people really watch what they eat to the extent of logging after a certain age bracket.

Betty
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout B
    Squats- 1 X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    OHP- 1X5X45/50/55/60, 5x5X55
    DL-1X5X 150

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Day is almost done!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Betty~ I want to be one of those 100 yr old ladies that has a jigger of port wine nightly, drives her cart around the senior center way too fast, still swims like a fish, sings and hugs everyone...even best friends she can't remember, and yep logs her food.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn
    in Houston
    ~ Too Ning......hey is that Chinese dude tuning your pianooooo???? lol We used to have a blind guy come and tune ours. It was a player piano that had a sliding door in the front that you could put a tube in, and then just pump the pedal or something... My mother "antiqued the whole blasted thing" it was a beauty!
  • tjmb63
    tjmb63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Started my journey 2 years ago. So far I have lost 40 lbs, I have about 10 more I would love to loose. I've maintained this weight for a little over a year now and have made the decision to buckle down and lost this last 10 lbs. I work out at least 5 days a week, but have found myself not watching my intake as I should. I would love to have a community to encourage, support, and motivate me during the hard days.
    September goals are to loose 10 lbs, increase my step goals( I average 12,000) would like to make at least 15000 per day. I would like to increase my endurance for running( at present I am good for 1.5 miles).
    Major Goal: BE ABLE TO TURN DOWN A BAG OF LAY POTATOE CHIPS....LOL LOL LOL LOL
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thursday night is Dog Training night for me - it's been Puppy and Bronze Tests tonight and they've all done well. Not all Bronzes passed, almost but only just missed out. They have another chance at our open day on 25th. I understand they are all going to practice the one minute stay! Many many times! My elderly springer always goes to puppy tests to be the unknown dog for the puppies to greet nicely! He is so placid and loves this role once every 6 weeks.

We (our dog training centre training and display team) are holding a charity fun day with dog show and many activities to raise money for MacMillan Cancer Care and the Staffordshire Lowlands Search and Rescue Dogs. (One of the newest dogs in their team, Penny, achieved her Gold Award alongside my chocolate smoothie doodle, Chloe, 3 years ago, and has since continued her training to now be a fully fledged Search and Rescue dog and has had her first 'find' this summer!). Over the summer we have been running many activity stalls at various events locally and nationally and started the pot. We are hoping to reach over £1000 - £500 each would be great - especially as we only charge £1 per go at the events. I'll let you know once all is completed at the end of the month.

Next week my standard poodle puppy (9.5 months old) is attempting to get her Silver Award! As long as the assessor doesn't do the distraction exercise using a packet of crisps we'll be ok! Phoebe loves crisp packets!!! In the mock test tonight she nearly mugged the trainer!

Kettle on, night time drink calls... goodnight everyone

Maryann in UK

• pipcd34
    Options
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Juanita, welcome and rest assured that you are not the only introvert here! Not easy for me to post sometimes either but we just have to step out of comfort zones occasionally and these ladies don't bite!

Not doing great on exercise since Monday but hoping to get back on track.

I was wondering if there are any ladies here who are over 70? 80? Most of us seem to be 50s and 60s. Wondering if people really watch what they eat to the extent of logging after a certain age bracket.

Betty

Betty I am 71 have been a serial yoyo dieter most of my life but this time I am NOT putting the weight back on I workout every day Leslie Sansone videos and weight training just recently started with kettlebell

Kate UK

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    MMmmm – I think after losing 40lb and getting a new haircut; I feel a lot younger than my 65 years. My DH loves both looks. Getting ‘old’ is not for sissies. Getting ‘older’ is when we are blessed to be able to do each day we wake up on the ‘green’ side of the grass.

Heather – For sure don’t take it ‘personally’ that you DS and DDIL feel they need you less. They are probably just trying to work on doing things their way. I’m sure they don’t mind you being there, just maybe not as often. Gee, 3 of my grandchildren live right next door (well, one is off at college). I don’t see them every day; sometimes I don’t even see them ‘in passing’. I try to stay away from the ‘drama’ that my DDnL#1 seems to thrive on, ... I don’t. My girls know they are welcomed to come down here anytime they want to.

Joyce, Indiana – Our first ‘new’ house was a ‘split-level’ and I would NEVER have another one. But, like our 2 story houses, it is possible to keep the common living area clean and get your children to carry toys upstairs. We actually used the room on the lower floor as a toy room, it also had a bath and a utility room. Main floor – kitchen, living room, and dining room, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths upstairs. What really messed up the deal was the water that poured through our garage (2 steps down) whenever it rained. Because the builder did NOT put drain tiles around it. It was dug up 4 times before we ended up ‘suing’ him and the HOW. I was 7-8 months pregnant during the times he dug it up; and moving the bulbs that I had planted around the front of the house and ended up moving them into a bed around the Mulberry bushes we had out front. FINALLY, ‘after’ we had sold the house; and, after the lawsuit; they dug up around the entire foundation – inside and outside, deep enough to put them in correctly; as well as 4 places up the hill. DH never wanted another 2-story because of always going up and down. The last one had a lot of character and I would have loved to build one exactly like it, with a few changes; but, I did not have anything to do with the planning and building of this one. What I like best, is our great room that is ½ of the entire house. It is our downsized retirement home (out in the country).

Katla – I have some ‘family’ things that I’d like my children to have; and, they are getting left to them; what they do with them is their business … I won’t be here to see it. But, one thing we are doing, since my DSs seem to be having a few issues … because of DDnL#1’s mouth, is filing them with the Probate Court. Then, if they end up disagreeing about the ‘intent’ of the Will, she will make that choice for them. They are polar opposites; but, have always had a good relationship with one another until DDnL#1 texted DDnL#2 about something and did not get an ‘immediate’ answer; and continued doing so and getting madder and madder. Then she had the unmitigated gall to call DYS and *kitten* to him about it. She doesn't get good reception when they are at the lake. He called his brother and asked him, ‘what the HELL was going on with her’? DOS made her apologize to his brother; then, she wrote me a scathing email dredging up 16 years of ‘her’ bad feelings. I did not even respond to it. But, I did print it off and will show it to my DOS if I ever hear ‘that I don’t like her’. Sixteen years of this … nothing I can do, or ever be able to do, will change her mind.

I like your ‘quote’. So true … I intend on ‘having a lot of fun’ whether or not others do.

Michele in NC – A friend of mine got me started (hooked) on “Mexican Train”; even bought the domino set; but, I can’t get anyone to play with me. I will take it to Daytona Beach with up because I think someone will play with me then. They usually have a jigsaw puzzle to put together. We all bring things we can be entertained by if the weather is bad. Either way, we'll enjoy getting together, it's been 3 years; 2 since I have seen my middle sister.

Skikeyhair – I agree that fluctuations in weight seem to be more so, the closer I get to our ‘goals’; but, I also spent 10 days out in Louisiana. At least the 3lb weight gain still didn’t put me over the next even number. But, I was still disappointed that I gained it. Tracked it, honestly, and went over by a ‘lot’; now back on plan and don’t feel stuffed.

Wilma from Friendship, NY – You have the same birthday that my DYS has. We decided that we wanted to keep him back in kindergarten; and, the nun principal about had a stroke over it. I won, but, it was not without a huge fight over it. I wanted him to be the ‘oldest’ in the class, rather than the 'youngest'. Now he is a ‘leader’ and not a ‘follower’. I wish now I had kept my DOS back because he has a summer birthday and the cut-off date, here in Georgia, on 8/31.

Lisa – Long holiday weekends always mess me up. Especially, remembering medications when I fill my pillbox on Saturday nights after taking the last dosage. We always leave LA on Sunday, so that we have Labor Day to rest up; but, that generally gives us about 9 or 10 days with DYS, DDnL#2, and DGD#4. I don't like leaving my pillbox out, afraid I will leave it; and, the bag is the first thing that get packed up. DGD#$ was with her Daddy all but 2 days while we were there. They share custody; so she is always coming and going. But she and her half-brother go to the same school, so the exchange is easy during the school year. Glad that you have a ‘go-getter’ real estate person. That always makes a ‘huge’ difference. We’ve been blessed to have eager real estate people. In fact, our last house actually sold the night we put it on the market; to the aunt of the real estate lady (her aunt came over and bought it on the spot). Easy sale, needed to get out quickly; so since I had been in the hospital after a bad wreck, DH packed everything with the help of our DSs. Now, I can’t find a few things that I know I had before we moved. But, there are still a few boxes that never got touched to open and see what was in them. Fifteen years later. Whoops!

Becca – Tracking and doing it ‘honestly’ with everything that crosses your lips will also help let you ‘see’ what things you are eating that if changed up a little might ‘jump start’ that losing and then set small goals to reach so that it won’t be so ‘overwhelming’ to you. It will hold you accountable; and, maybe you can share it with someone on this site that you are comfortable with and their input also might help.

My middle sister got our Mimi’s piano – old upright. My DH refinished it (he did not touch the sticker) … beautiful sounding piano; much better than the new ones.

Tracey – Now that we are back home, our food isn’t as much or as good! RATS! But, I’d weigh 2 tons if I lived there. I did not comment on the extra “Newly Married 15” that my son has put on. As DDnL#2 says, he’ll work it off as soon as he decides what and how she cooks and what he likes or not. She said he really hurt her feelings over her ‘chicken & dumplings’. LOL! I know him well enough that he isn’t going to hold back anything. His ‘tact’ will need to be worked on a little.

KarenE – When my DH and I married; we furnished our house with “Late Attic and Early Basement”; and, I think I can count on my fingers the number of ‘new’ pieces we have bought ‘new’ and still have a few left over and we've been married 44 years. We have the dresser-on-dresser and make-up table, stool, and mirror from my Mother and Daddy’s first set of bedroom furniture. When we first married, we had the bed as well. New things: TV stand, Oriental rug, MBR bed; 2nd bedroom bed (at a scratch and dent sale – was missing one of the finials; took one off and had one made), dining room table … that’s it! Rest was either inherited or still from our old "Late Attic and Early Basement" days.

Miriam – LOL! I sometimes think that my DOS comes in and ‘cases’ our house to see what we have that he might want. I’ve divided some of the things; but, since we are going to be filing our Wills with the Probate Court; I really need to re-make the list, so that things actually ‘go to our sons’ and then ‘they’ can decide who gets it or where it goes (even in the trash). But, I am leaving my wedding ring to my DOGD, because her Mother ‘took’ the things that her other Papa had meant for her to have when he died. He was going to leave her some money to help with her college. Se especially too all the cash and things easily pawned. I was going to pack up a wash bowl and pitcher I made in ceramics and my DDnL#1 pulled it out and asked me, ‘you aren’t going to sell this in a garage sale, are you, can I have it’? I did not think anyone would have wanted it. Surprised me! So she got it.

Terri in Milwaukee – That’s a funny line about bowling being a full contact sport. When I was 40lbs heavier … I’d trip and fall all the time, so much so that my DH would generally hold my arm when going up and down steps or walking over rough terrain. Now that I have lost it, I rarely trip anymore! Yeah!!!!! I could not even lift a 40lb bag of potting soil … then I thought, ‘oh $#*T, I have been lugging that around on my body all this time.

Melissa in South Florida – I hope my description was not too convoluted. As an artist I tend to use up that 1000 words to ‘paint a picture’; or sort of ‘going around my elbow to get to my knees’.

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

MicheleNC, it’s nice that you want the lady to be able to go to the Halloween party and it sounds like you have thought of just about everything on getting her in. Have you talked to her hubby? Good luck.

Some of you are talking about houses with memories. house-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png Ladies, do remember that those memories are with you and not the house. I’m not saying that things in a house don’t remind us of things, but trust me, we take the memories with us when we move to a new place. Just MHO.

Wilma, welcome. This is a great place for support and information so come often. Good luck on your journey.

Allie, my thoughts are with you as you celebrate the lives of your friends. Sorry Tom is being his usual charming self.

Heather, you are so right that the children will care more about great grandparents when they get older. It will be nice for them to have the information in your biography.

Lisa, so glad you will have DH back with you. It really sounds like things are working out great. We just never know, do we?

Kelly, I hope you were able to walk off the “crabby”!! You know we are here for you.

Margaret, good luck with the moles. I have never had them but have a friend that battled them for a year or more.

Tracey, congrats on signing your post. I think that is at least two in a row. Way to go.

Janetr, have a wonderful adventure. Just be sure to share all about it.

Pip, I love the shirts!!! Have a good ride.

Terri, we have missed you too!!! bowling-kid-smiley-emoticon.gifSo sorry about your ankle. Please heal quickly. I thought I was going to be going to Milwaukee for a few days and trying to figure out if I could meet you, but the trip is not going to happen. sad-face.gif

Melissa, welcome! Sorry to hear about the loss of your hubby. Come here often and you will be able to meet your goal.

CarolGA, glad you had a good visit with your mom.

Allie, sorry you have gained that weight. I know you don’t have any stress in your life so don’t know what that’s all about. *tongue in cheek* for the newbies. Just take care of yourself, my friend. You know we are all with you.

Betty, I’m 69 and hope to keep logging my food for the rest of my life. The older you get, the more important health is.

Maryann, good luck with the dogs and their achievements. girl-walking-the-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I made it to the gym today but not until this afternoon. I normally go in late morning. I had a good workout and it didn’t hurt the pain I’ve been having in my mid-back. I’m not sure which machine I overdid it on at my last workout. I always enjoy my workouts at the gym and just have to go more often to get in the habit.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Katla – I’m in CA and no down time at all! In fact cooler weather is a busier time…

Heather – hope the school works out – I wish I was bilingual

Re – check around and see if you can find the crème fraiche it is different enough from sour cream that it is worth a try…

Just to page 13… the *^%$# dog just ate 40 mini muffins I was bringing in 10 min. to Garden Club – GRRRRR he got them off the back of the counter and did it so quietly I did not hear him..

September Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lizard saving, gardening in my own yard
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • scallywag57
    scallywag57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so angry with myself. I had lost 30lbs by the end of June. July and August were heavy traveling for work months for me. I gained 7 lbs. during the last 2 months. I'm so discouraged. It took me a year to lose the 30 lbs. and I feel like just giving up. So depressed!!! Thanks for your blog though.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of Paul Katemi's ASAP Band Fitness DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Smith's Great Buns & Thighs Step DVD

Wilma - welcome! So glad you are now able to comment

Lisa - how wonderful that you had a showing on the warehouse! When we sold our house in PA, the realtor we chose was a real go-getter. He had it sold at the first open house! And for more than we were asking! Do you need to keep insurance on the warehouse? I like to get my workout done early in the morning, too. In a way, I really wish some of the classes (well, I guess I really only take two classes) would start earlier

exercised then volunteered at the Green Room. Afterwards, stopped at Bi-Lo because I found a coupon for one item. I was going to get another one but they were out so I got a raincheck. Went to the farmer's market and one lady had red okra! No one at the farmer's market that I go to on Saturdays had it. So I got some, and put some in the freezer. Now home. Have to go back to the Green Room for the dress rehearsal of West Side Story

KarenE - so sorry about the papers and pics. Now I wish I had my mother's ring that I gave Dianna, but what's done is done

janetr - safe travels

Heather - I hear ya about the calendar. We have one, I like this one kind that's a week at a glance. I have a cover for it so all I need to get are refills. I get one every year. Really helps Vince and I to keep things straight. But the first of the year there are just so many things to enter. Actually, I enter them when I first get the calendar. That's something that Vince gives me every year

pip - Good thoughts being sent your way for feeling better for the ride. Very cute shirt

terri - so sorry about your ankle.

Melissa in SF - welcome!

Marcelyn - my heart goes out to you....:)

Becca - happy anniversary! How did you figure out that you expended 600 calories?

tjmb - welcome. You've certainly come to the right place for support! I like your step goal

scallywag - welcome! keep coming back and you'll get that weight off in no time at all.

Went to the dress rehearsal for West Side Story. Only stayed for 1/2 of it. I saw what I wanted to see. Now home, going to take a shower so that I'm fresh for my mammo tomorrow

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day;
    ide hm 2 gym- 10.37min, 16.6amph, 140mhr, 2.9mi = 88c
    OTHER- 30min, various machines, 30-100#'s, 3sts of 10-15ea, 119mhr, 91c
    ELIPTICAL- 15min, 119mhr, 10incl, 10resist, 102stpmin, 3060str = 96c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.21min, 13.5amph, 135mhr, 1.4mi = 61c
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.50min, 9.2amph, 148mhr, 2.5mi = 179c
    total cal 515
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Had to spend a few hours catching up but I love to read about your lives. Thanks for the suggestions regarding posting. I usually read on my iPad but did do word document when I was here before. Played golf today and it got really hot (98) by the time we were done. Came home and took a long nap!
    Betty, I think I am probably the oldest girl here (77). I do try to stay physically and socially active. I have lost weight and gained weight and it doesn't get any easier but it can be done. Before I started back on MFP, I had a pity party and wondered if I should just say what the heck. But I like to look good in my clothes so once again I am doing the right things.
    Have to get off iPad and watch Broncos.
    SueBDew in TX