WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Today has been miraculous. DH is transforming. He quit taking one of his medications and is turning into a new man. His attitude, mental clarity and activity are all amazingly better. He has been off of the baclofen for 12 days. YAY!!! He actually went to the gym with me and rode one of the recumbent exercise bikes. He also was warmly greeted by the health club owner and I know it was a positive experience for him.

I talked to a stable owner about partial leasing a horse from her, and in her barn it will be contingent on me taking lessons from her trainer. It is a possibility. She does not know my teacher by name or reputation so she didn't have much respect there. She is about my age and understands the problem with heavy saddles. She advised me to buy my own, and says they can be as light as 4 or 5 pounds. Buying a saddle is something DH has been encouraging for quite a while. It is a definite maybe.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    well, packing twinkie, headache is gone, having a drink, now gotta change the bed sheets so we come home to a clean bed. kirby loved the shirts!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, happy anniversary. It sounds like you have a plan worked out for your meals. All the luck to you,

Maryanne UK, the activity with your dogs sounds very interesting. I love it when your animals are not just a part of your life at home. And for them to serve a purpose for the assistance to others. How rewarding. Pictures!!!

Lenora, we had a company build our house that we didn't know a whole lot about, our first mistake. All we saw was that the houses looked wonderful and affordable. But now we realize that he only met code instead of surpassing them. Anyway, we guess he didn't hook into existing sewer the right way because when there was a big storm we knew we would have water in the lower level. When we first moved in we only used the lower level for storage anyway. We saved a lot of money by having them leave the family room unfinished since we wanted to do it a different way in the future. So when my parents moved to this area we stored a lot of their things down there. So each level is 1100 square feet. So I was 7 months pregnant at the time. I come home from church and we have 8 inches of water! Oh the mess of water we had to clean up. And the different colors of toilet paper and all the stuff that goes along with other peoples toilet paper in your house. We didn't get much out of the contractor as far as help. So one day I find out we have the president of the company on our cancer unit. I tell my fellow nurse that I am going to be closing the door and talking to her patient and to please leave me alone!!!! I gave him a piece of my mind. Of course he says he wasn't even aware of what happened. But by the time I got back up to the nurses station, he had already called the company and the company has called my husband in the pharmacy and told him that his wife was never to step in that room again. i don't even know how they knew he worked there. All they did was come out and paint all thhe walls with this water barrier.

Got my steroid injections in my bursitis today. it hasn't worked real well in the past so I am not giving much hope that it will help this time. i was just desperate.

Joyce, hopeful in Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,921 Member
    Options

I was wondering if there are any ladies here who are over 70? 80? Most of us seem to be 50s and 60s. Wondering if people really watch what they eat to the extent of logging after a certain age bracket.

Betty

I'm 70 years old and have been logging food and exercise every day (with a few exceptions) since I was 62 and I expect to continue this way for a long time into the future.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Betty~ I want to be one of those 100 yr old ladies that has a jigger of port wine nightly, drives her cart around the senior center way too fast, still swims like a fish, sings and hugs everyone...even best friends she can't remember, and yep logs her food.
    Becca

Becca- I want to be 100 and have a BOTTLE of wine, drive the cart by the sc INTO the pool , swim out like a fish, hug everyone and say 'I am 100 and to *kitten* with logging cause I got this far!' B)

48 years and counting....

Tracey- PA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,921 Member
    Options
    :) I got up at 2:15 in order to walk the dogs and do all my morning ablutions before leaving at 6:45 to catch the 8:55 ferry to Seattle to get to the neurosurgeon's office by 10:30. The good news is that there is a solution to the leg pain that has been plaguing me since last fall. The bad news is that the solution is spine surgery scheduled for September 28 followed by many weeks of recovery with no dog walking or dancing or riding the exercise bike. I can't imagine myself sitting a lot except for short walks with no dogs.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington who is taking life one day at a time.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    Barbie- I'm glad that there is a solution to the pain in your leg. You definitely have our support as you go through this!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    nite peeps
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Gracious Goddesses!

I have been slaving away at work all day, and I have to run, so I can grab food for DH - but, I wanted to check in and give you all some love.

Pip - Rock the Ride, Sister! I will be cheering for you.

Katla - so glad your honey is doing better.

New folks - HI!!!

Juanita - (Hugs!) Don't be shy - and don't be worried about not calling everybody out. It's a commitment of love and time - and while we know you got the love, we understand that the time is always an issue.

Becca - You GO on the preparation!

Everybody else - LOVE YOU!

Talk to you all when my co-worker returns. In the mean time, I am eating too much fast food - but keeping the calories in line... *sighs*

I am still hitting the gym - and today I did a few sets of KB Swings - so far - maybe I will get motivated and do another 4 before bed.
    4x10x10

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Juanita, welcome and rest assured that you are not the only introvert here! Not easy for me to post sometimes either but we just have to step out of comfort zones occasionally and these ladies don't bite!

Not doing great on exercise since Monday but hoping to get back on track.

I was wondering if there are any ladies here who are over 70? 80? Most of us seem to be 50s and 60s. Wondering if people really watch what they eat to the extent of logging after a certain age bracket.

Betty

I'll be 67 in November, we have several in their 70's. I believe Barbee our awesome "leader" is in her 70's. I intend to keep on doing it for the long haul.

You look terrific in your profile pic, good job losing that much!!

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm so angry with myself. I had lost 30lbs by the end of June. July and August were heavy traveling for work months for me. I gained 7 lbs. during the last 2 months. I'm so discouraged. It took me a year to lose the 30 lbs. and I feel like just giving up. So depressed!!! Thanks for your blog though.

We are our worst critics. For me it was just making little changes here and there. And to be honest with you, there will be no one at our funerals saying, "she ate so healthy" or "wow she really could stick to her diet program". So my advice to you is just breathe and take stock of whats important. Make changes that fit into your world, not something from a program or magazine. You can do this!
    Becca
  • janetr7476
    Options
    tjmb63 wrote: »
    Started my journey 2 years ago. So far I have lost 40 lbs, I have about 10 more I would love to loose. I've maintained this weight for a little over a year now and have made the decision to buckle down and lost this last 10 lbs. I work out at least 5 days a week, but have found myself not watching my intake as I should. I would love to have a community to encourage, support, and motivate me during the hard days.
    September goals are to loose 10 lbs, increase my step goals( I average 12,000) would like to make at least 15000 per day. I would like to increase my endurance for running( at present I am good for 1.5 miles).
    Major Goal: BE ABLE TO TURN DOWN A BAG OF LAY POTATOE CHIPS....LOL LOL LOL LOL

Sounds like a plan to me lol Welcome and tell us where you're located and a little about yourself.

Janetr OKC
  • Annr
    Options
    Re in TX~ I am going I am going..... hahahaha! Day two and I have ended my day on a high note...(yep I sang that). Each day shall stand on its own, not supported by past days that have a tendency to topple over like domino's. Eyes wide open, looking forward to my next day with optimism!
    Becca
    looking forward without blinders on!
    in Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Lenora~ I LOVE the personality of pianos. I used to frequent this thrift store in California. Pianos would come and go, and I had the opportunity to play them. Some were like saying hi to a hearty gentlemen, the bass tones rich and bold, and others were like having tea with a nice old lady. The sound sturdy, but proper. The people in the thrift store would tell me thank you as they walked by. The place I play now is a medical pavilion and I can look up and see the 2nd and 3rd floors. Some people say that they have been listening to me for a while up waiting. It gives me peace and last time I even sang a little. (not opera, but my other voice)
    Becca
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    DJ – You talked about memories of a house/home that we take with us. My home that I grew up in could have been anywhere, my parents made the house a home for us. But, I was saddened when the church that bought the block it was on, tore it down, closed off the side street and extended the church building to cover where it had stood. At the funeral of my BF in HS’s mother … someone asked me if I wanted to go see the rest of the church. I did not want to; it would have been like ‘walking across a grave’ … ain’t gonna happen. I will walk away from it; but, I cannot forget the memories I grew up having. I can still remember both layouts of the house and some of the things we did there.

Kim from N. California – Dogs are sneaky little creatures, that’s for sure. What a shock you must have had. LOL! Dogs are like children ... when they get quite; they need to be checked on. My sister and her best friend were letting their girls play; and, they got very quite; and DS went in to check on them and her friend's daughter had cut off most of her ringlets. It was pretty hard not to get mad; and, they were cut off using child's scissors.

scallywag57 – Gaining 7lbs after losing 30; isn’t bad with all the traveling you have been doing; I am sure it’s been difficult to eat in restaurants and not overeat – they put twice as much food on the plate as you need. When we go ‘out to eat’; I cut my entrée and sides, in half, when they bring it to me; and, eat just ½ of it … keep it for the next day’s lunch. I don’t normally eat much at suppertime. I eat a protein bar and 3 cups of coffee at night. Gets in my ‘caffeine fix’ as well as my ‘chocolate’ craving. Just keep tracking as best you can, even when you are off traveling, whether for business or pleasure. Hang in there! Funny thing about the protein bars, I can only eat them at night. If I eat them earlier in the day, they upset my tummy ... Go figure!

Joyce, hopeful in Indiana – We did not know our builder either; and actually bought the house as it was being built … had been framed up; and we were able to pick out all the fixtures and wallpaper and all than. We never thought about having a problem with water in the garage; but, if it was running into it, we were sure it was running into the rest of it. Had water standing in the ground up next to the inside foundation … but, all that was above ground level. But, when we won our case … they had to dig it up around the inside and outside and several places up the hill. Then there were no problem with it. It just pissed us off that we had to take him to court. We would have just been SOL, if my Daddy had not been an attorney or would have not ever been able to ‘sell’ the home and would have just ended up having to ‘rent’’ it out. We have friends who found out that the big cracks in their walls were caused by the contractor not putting in rebar. They sued him and basically he ended up paying it off; then paying them for not having a sellable house. We had 3” of rain in an hour and I was afraid of having a water problem here; surrounded the house; but, house sits up on a rise, the grading of the land around the foundation is such that standing or running water runs away from the house. It rained cats and dogs and kitchen sinks; but, as soon as it stopped the water ran through the woods like streams to the low places down in the orchard.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I am so happy that there is a solution to eliminate the pain you've been having for the past several months. Yay! You'll be able to cuddle with your dogs and enjoy them indoors during your recovery time, then you can walk their feet off next spring & summer. :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Ocean Melody: I'm 67. There are plenty of "experienced" women in this group. :wink:

Becca: Have you found time to connect with any of the wonderful singers in your area? Music is a gift that you love and need. :heart:

This has been a good day. I'm looking forward to another good day tomorrow. Yoga tomorrow! :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • janetr7476
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    Had to spend a few hours catching up but I love to read about your lives. Thanks for the suggestions regarding posting. I usually read on my iPad but did do word document when I was here before. Played golf today and it got really hot (98) by the time we were done. Came home and took a long nap!
    Betty, I think I am probably the oldest girl here (77). I do try to stay physically and socially active. I have lost weight and gained weight and it doesn't get any easier but it can be done. Before I started back on MFP, I had a pity party and wondered if I should just say what the heck. But I like to look good in my clothes so once again I am doing the right things.
    Have to get off iPad and watch Broncos.
    SueBDew in TX

Broncos are my 'boys'. I'm a Denver native and lived there until I was 48. I worked for the original owner of the Denver Broncos back in the day. It was a great game :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Ugh, we had another earthquake this evening. It really rocked the house, but did not last as long as the one Saturday morning. It was only a 3.8 but the epicenter was in the little town next to us that borders us.

Enough already,

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I got up at 2:15 in order to walk the dogs and do all my morning ablutions before leaving at 6:45 to catch the 8:55 ferry to Seattle to get to the neurosurgeon's office by 10:30. The good news is that there is a solution to the leg pain that has been plaguing me since last fall. The bad news is that the solution is spine surgery scheduled for September 28 followed by many weeks of recovery with no dog walking or dancing or riding the exercise bike. I can't imagine myself sitting a lot except for short walks with no dogs.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington who is taking life one day at a time.

Oh Barbie, I'm thrilled to think you will be rid of the pain, but I know it will be a rough time for you to be so much less active. Big (((hugs))) and you will be in my thots thru this rough time.

Janetr OKC