WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Katla - The photo with DH, that I love, is of Edie, the soon to be 3 yr old. Her party is next Sunday, though her birthday is the 23rd. She loves to play "going to sleep" and then wakes us up and makes us breakfast. We are soon put back to sleep though. Her favourite game. <3 We are staying on after the party at a small hotel in central Brighton and treating ourselves to a "posh" meal round the corner on the sea front. Within staggering distance! The other grandparents will be occupying DS's spare room as they are babysitting in the nanny's absence. DH has cricket and I have yoga so we couldn't stay for long enough. :ohwell: My ex and family will be at the party. ;)

We (I) have decided not to take ourselves off to Lyon, France, for our anniversary in November. I think it will be too cold, dark and potentially windy. Another season, I think. Instead I have booked one night in Cambridge, where we want to go to the Fitzwilliam Museum and revisit Kings College Chapel. (Google) I have punted on the river in my twenties! Because it is a special occasion I have booked the best room with a balcony over the park, top floor. :D Very central, so we will have to use the Park and Ride bus. Now to research a good restaurant for the Saturday night. B)

Back to routine with my calories and exercise. Phew!

Love Heather UK

PS - I visited Ground Zero in New York last year. I remember so vividly when I first heard about it. I was sitting in the British Museum and overheard some people talking about it in the coffee shop. I ran out and bought a newspaper. I fully expected London to be attacked in the same way. I went on to work and my HOD was talking about Al Queida. I had never heard of them. ....... When we were in NYC we could feel the awfulness of that terrible, unbelievable shock. We went to the old church where they have memorials to the firefighters . I did cry.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day:

MS Ride day 2- 2hrs 8min 42sec, 448 elevation gain, 13.9amph, 149mhr, 29.7mi = 1079cal
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ouu5p694gu0u.jpeg
    Getting closer to hm
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    (((((( Pip & Kirby))))) awesome pictures. Can you feel we are all riding with you two???? Proud of you both!!!!!

Great pictures everyone. I love to see all your travels, and such.. You are all family we wished we had, (and are!). Can I just invite you over for coffee??? lol. I like how everyone offers advice, yet not in a dictating way. I like how we support each other, and I like how there is not a judging slant to anything each of you say. It's quite refreshing you know? We are from different backgrounds, different time zones, yet we seem to all fit, like the pictures of the quilts that are made on here. It's just beautiful. ((((((group hugs)))))))

I am still losing....even when I had kind of a high caloric day yesterday. Sadly, we didn't attend our event in Portland. I was feeling under the weather, and we both weren't keen to driving 2.5 miles there and back.

We are not the travelers we wished we were. And we used to dream about traveling in an RV after the teen leaves for the Navy. I think the routine stent replacement surgery pretty much made that decision for us. We need to be here, accessible to OHSU hospital. But you know, settling down here on the coast isn't such a bad thing. Knowing we can take day trips here and there, if we get the urge to change scenery will be fun. Also not being trapped down by a large RV payment will be good. Life has a way of pointing you in the right direction if you are patient.

Everyone have a great day! Look for blessings around you, in your loved ones eyes, in nature, within yourself..just look.
    Becca
    in sunny clear skies Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Just back from Michael's party~ a true send off, we had a spot of rain earlier in the afternoon and moved to beautiful clear skies and a breeze and mid 70's a ton of people showed up which I new there would be .. tons of food, lots to drink ,but I brought my water bottle and stuck with that..I am going to wait a few weeks till things die down, and reality sets in and bring Laurie a few meals and some cookies and just spend some time with her...
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Funny I was thinking about u guys while I was riding, Annr
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Spikeyhair – Or is it Tracey? What I am talking about is basically a round trampoline that is probably no larger than 5’ in diameter from outside pole to outside pole, the canvas is probably 4’ in diameter. You can have it flat or have it slightly angled; buy raising 3 or 4 of the legs. Flat, you could jump on it like jogging without the pounding on your knees; we used them in cheer practice slanted to learn how to do flips. I had one in HS – but, that was over 45 years ago. Probably not something you could easily find now-a-days. I have a bad back and don’t think that just ‘jumping’ would help my back any. I would need some softness to land.

Purl/WA – You can type a long, newsy post; but several things you need to know beforehand. If you start posting you CANNOT go back a page to read posts and have it still be there (unless you actually post/save it); then you do have a hour to ‘edit’ it; but, then some might not see it because of the number of people on this thread, so many are posting at the same time. About the ‘only’ way you can post a long newsy post is to open up a Word Processing program on your computer and then ‘minimizing’ both MFP community and the WPP so they will be side-by-side. Then if you want to, you can maximize either, to read, or to answer. This is the only way that I, personally, have found to be able to start from your last post up to the present time. One thing the site will do, is go back to your last posted response. Some use an emoticon, or some symbol to mark that last time on the site of just reading (if they don’t post anything). Using the emoticons at the top of the posting area. I hope that helps. Some have special emoticons on their computers; mine won't let them through because of the 'security' I have on mine. Unfortunately, it is a way to put your computer at risk of getting a virus, Trojan, or other issues on you computer. I choose not to get one; but, I think they are so cute!

Pip – Loved the water scene sight; would be wonderful to have a lot like that on a lake.

Michelle in NC – Is Play It Again Sports a ‘store’ or is it ‘online’? What are you stringing all that popcorn for? Seems you’ve been at this for several weeks or so and I guess I missed the connection to anything.

Joyce – My GYN gave me Antivert (buy the generic brand) for my dizziness (most of seems to be when I get up, or move suddenly. I use it as needed; but, I am still on HCG for my BP (which has stayed pretty normal recently) … but, last weigh-in day it was something like 115/50 and I felt like $#*T … nurse got me in to see him earlier than my 1:00pm appointment. By the time I saw him it had risen to 137/80. He did an EKG on me, nothing spectacular shows up on them (at least not to worry about). This last time, he said that he would make an appointment with my Neurologist to check out the tremors I have had and that are getting worse with time. Some of the medications I take have ‘tremors’ as a side effect. Can’t win for losing it seems, and can't go off any of those particular meds, even though I have lost 43lbs. Don’t want to take any more medications other than the ones I am on, at this point. I probably take more ‘vitamins and supplements’ per day than the medicine I take.

Fills up both AM and PM pill containers. I do have an extra-large one around here somewhere that my DDnL#1 found and bought for me. I haven’t had a EEG since the first time I went to the practice; my old Neurologist moved to Atlanta, so I am see the ‘new’ one in the practice which is only ‘part-time’. He is a little 'weird' but, GYN laughed and said, they all are. When he talks, his eyes flutter and occasionally his eyes will roll back in his head. I kid you not, maybe he has some sort of neurological issue himself. If I have not been called about when it will be, I will need to call Nancy back to find out what she has found out, and to make sure that it is not set during a time that we are doing to be ‘out of town’; I think I gave her those dates.

Janet7476 – Interesting pictures.

KarenE – DH doesn’t waste time doing for his customers; but, like the cobbler’s wife and children he doesn’t really feel like painting when he gets home or on weekends; but, he will finish what he starts - if he paints a room, he is going to finish it and put things back in place. A lot of the time he is bring home cabinet doors, shutters, and outdoor furniture to paint. What he painted yesterday AM before we could take Cracker to the vet, he said was just junk; but, the owners wanted to have it painted. It was gray when he brought it home. I had asked him why one of the chairs was missing its arm; and one of the others need to have its arm put back on. He said you can’t weld ‘aluminum’ … which is what this furniture was made of; and, they were put together with bolts and nuts. He bought me a set of wrought iron outdoor furniture, and I had cushions made for it. He painted it and it is out on the glassed-in porch (which seems we have been working on, now, for a couple of years. The main thing missing is an actual door. He’s covered the screened door with plastic; but, it won’t keep the heat out or the cool in. So when I open the French doors from our MBR, he wants to know if I am trying to cool outside. NAH! I just am reminding him that he really needs to ask the carpenter about this “free” door that he will be putting up. After almost 3 years of not getting pictures that one of his uncle had left when he passed, I called the cousin and asked if they were still available (if none of the others named in his Will had wanted them). He apologized for not sending them earlier and would get his wife, who is no longer working outside the home, to pack them up and send them. Got them 2 days later. Had thought they were movie marquees (that might have been worth a lot of money). I had forgotten what they were scenes of. Atlanta (obviously, done in '56 or '57 by the car that appears in one of them). Actually, they are watercolors of various sights in Atlanta, which I still love. I just need to clean them off. Taking them out of their frames. Washing 40+ years of nicotine off and washing the glass. I will probably take them to my friend, who owns a framing place and have her put the Kraft paper backs on them. She can do it quite easily and maybe won’t charge me an arm-and-a-leg to do so. She’s done this for me before on some of my paintings. But, when I draw something, she always does the matting and framing. She has the needed equipment to cut mats, although I did learn how to do it in school. I just hate doing it by hand.

The 9 ½ year age difference is quite different now than it was when we first married; but, both sets of our parents were exactly 9 ½ years apart as we are, and that has worked for us, as it apparently worked for our parents.

Charleen - The tree skirt is beautiful! My Mother made a table cloth with the 12-days of Christmas in cross-stitch. For the life of me, I don’t see how she did so and have it turn out as beautifully as it did. I put it on a table that I have in our great room that will fold up to make a round table. I dare not put it on the octagon-shaped table between our chairs unless I was able to have a piece of glass cut to go over it. Don’t want anything spilt on it.

I remember where I was when the Space Shuttle blew up, the bombing of the Murrah Federal Courthouse in OKC, and 911; all 3x I was alone and burst into tears each time. All very sad because of family members were watching in person, and, parents lost babies, and others lost siblings, parents, and other family members and friends in 911. I have only once been some place a bomb threat was called in. It was when my step-daughter with her infant child and I were eating in a restaurant. But, we were told to stay put until the Fire Department arrived. Not us, we had just sat down and we got up and left. I've never heard of people sitting some place after a bomb threat has been called it, NAHDA, not me, I am leaving ASAP. They could have arrested us for leaving ... but, I wasn't going to be blown up. I also remember the school shootings, the Paris and Orlando shooting. All of them in recent years, and other tragedies, in other lands. It is sad that our world has become so evil. But, that seems to be common in a lot of places. I worked with a woman who was in the Death Camps during The Holocaust when Eisenhower's troops came upon them. He made them take all kinds of pictures, so that the world could see and hopefully nothing like that would ever happen again. Hard to realize that 2 of my grandchildren were born after 911. My oldest one was just 5 years old when it happened.

Lenora
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Lenora Sorry about confusion about bouncing and trampolines

Kate UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    (((((( Pip & Kirby))))) awesome pictures. Can you feel we are all riding with you two???? Proud of you both!!!!!

Great pictures everyone. I love to see all your travels, and such.. You are all family we wished we had, (and are!). Can I just invite you over for coffee??? lol. I like how everyone offers advice, yet not in a dictating way. I like how we support each other, and I like how there is not a judging slant to anything each of you say. It's quite refreshing you know? We are from different backgrounds, different time zones, yet we seem to all fit, like the pictures of the quilts that are made on here. It's just beautiful. ((((((group hugs)))))))

Life has a way of pointing you in the right direction if you are patient.

Everyone have a great day! Look for blessings around you, in your loved ones eyes, in nature, within yourself..just look.
    Becca

Wow becca you are one wise woman!!! Keep up the great work with meal planning, you sound like you are on a good track. <3 NYKAREN
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon lovely ladies.

Finally feeling like I am going to make it to the next day. I want it on record with my cardiologist I do want want to take any more Hydralazine. I did not take it last night and am not going to take it today all today at all. My heart is finally not pounding out of my chest. Yesterday it was a very heavy pounding whether or not i was doing any activity such as walking in the house or just sitting on the couch or laying in bed trying to calm it down so I could got to sleep which by the way was totally unsuccessful. Will call the office first thing in the morning.

My thoughts about 9/11. It maybe a terrible thing to say because I don't want it to really happen but sometimes I think America needs another 9/11. I can't remember when we have had such solidarity among most of our citizens, all races, gender, most religions. One standing next to the other in memorial services all holding hands or crying on the other shoulders. We treated our first responders with such respect, firefighters, policemen, EMT. It didn't take long for us to get back in our turf wars, everyone wanting their rights considered over all other rights no matter who it hurt or leads to a downfall to the basic rights of the USA. I stayed by the TV and cried all day for several days. i have all newspapers for a whole month. I have no idea how long the USA as we know it will last,

Heather, thanks for our Bea fix.

Joyce, Indiana
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Lovely day today. Met up with my Dog Display Team for a walk on Cannock Chase. It's great to see all the dogs enjoying being together for fun and not to 'work'.

Then Barney and I went to see my dad, who is 87 and suffering from 3 types of cancer, although all under control at the moment. Dad enjoys hearing about what Barney is doing at Uni (He's doing a masters degree now) and with his basketball.

Then this evening we went out to our favourite indian restaurant to celebrate OH new job, Barney's 2nd year of masters - he's going back in a few minutes - and me starting my Lay Readers' Training next weekend. Too many calories, but I did plug an extra few 'in the pot' by doing the long walking earlier! Eating back the calories for a special occasion has got to be ok. Must be good next week now!

So inspired by the Paralympics. What incredible people. So humbling. Dave (OH) was an official at the Special Olympics at the Alexandra Stadium in Birmingham today. He said all athletes were given a participation medal and the atmosphere among the disabled young people was wonderful so inclusive and supportive. Watching the tv will have a different emphasis now. Some of these youngsters may be eligible for Tokyo in 4 years if they continue to train and improve.

Barney's set to return to Wales so goodnight everyone! Hope your next week is great.

Maryann in UK
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Welcome newbies!

Judi – I loved Vermont when I lived there in 1980 - Bellows Falls.

Heather – just checked and the weather here in November will be in the high 60 low 70 (20-23 C) you could come here!

Joyce – glad you are figuring out some choices that make you feel better.

I feel like we each are doing our part to keep the cohesiveness of 9-11 alive by being on this forum as Becca said we are from different everythings, and yet most of the time can support one another, and have found ways to be clear, yet not mean, about boundaries that need to be respected. I feel like we are helping each other become not just healthier but over all better people.

September Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lizard saving, gardening in my own yard, playing with the chickens
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    We are not the travelers we wished we were. And we used to dream about traveling in an RV after the teen leaves for the Navy. I think the routine stent replacement surgery pretty much made that decision for us. We need to be here, accessible to OHSU hospital. But you know, settling down here on the coast isn't such a bad thing. Knowing we can take day trips here and there, if we get the urge to change scenery will be fun. Also not being trapped down by a large RV payment will be good. Life has a way of pointing you in the right direction if you are patient.

Becca

I think you are headed in a very positive direction, Becca. Astoria and the surrounding communities are in a lovely setting and full of fun opportunities to play outside. We went there to Sunday Market today, on the spur of the moment. We had a great time in good weather, lunch in a local tavern, and came home. DH was tired and ready to be at home, so we didn't go out to Fort Stevens Park where we usually like to walk on the beach. We'll go again on another pretty day. Perhaps one of these days we'll plan ahead so that we can meet somewhere in person. We've been in "seize the day" (or moment) mode for a long time because it is hard to plan ahead when we don't know how DH will be feeling. I suspect you understand. Having husbands with big health challenges is one of the things we have in common.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    brought the kids home, unpacked the beast, put twinkie to bed, doing laundry things are getting done. oh and kirby is watching football (i couldn't care less)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Cheri – my book club read My Grandmother Told me to Tell You She's Sorry, as did a friends book club, did you like it? My club did not and my friend’s club loved it..
    Kim from N. California

This book was not one of my favorites however after the discussion I liked it a bit more. I am too much of a realist to believe that a 7 year old could be out and about and involved in all that the author wrote. I found the grandmother's stories to be confusing too. But one thing I enjoy about book clubs is that it gets me to read all genres of books I would never think to read on my own.

Cheri
    a bookworm for life
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Is there a Karen hatch in here????? I got another donation!!!!! I am beyond overwhelmed!