WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Love all the photos! Envious of touring the Stanley hotel- I have read about it!

Another booklover here. Actually quite addicted. I do feel books have saved my life- when it was horrible in childhood I escaped in to a book. Taught myself to read at three and read everything in the house by age 8, including the entire encyclopedia set. Now I read a lot of history and medicine and forensics.

I did a LOT of canning when I was in Idaho when my kids were young. We were so poor that it was a necessity, not a pleasure. Huge vegetable garden to care for. I stopped when I left Idaho and have never canned again. I do miss my freezer jam and raspberry patch and dill pickles. I had an incredible recipe for dill pickles.

Love to all. Had the grandkids all weekend so now have to play catch up with housework!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Monday!
    Quick note to Marcelyn- Prayers and good thoughts coming your way on the scans and the outcome! Having lost my mom to cancer, I know that fear when something "abnormal" pops up in my own health screenings. Strength and peace for you as you wait for answers! <3
    My brother and SIL stopped by yesterday as they were leaving town. They popped in with the statement "we can only stay for a few minutes" and ended up staying through lunch and well into the late afternoon. Hoo-boy! I love them and it was a nice visit; but it was a mad scramble to get every thing done that I needed to get done!3hes8r8q5pba.jpg
    This is a photo of the Grand Haven pier after a storm on Saturday evening. The waves get even bigger than the one shown breaking over the pier head; especially in the fall and winter storm season. The sky was gorgeous, but I find the pic interesting because our pier is under construction and they have removed the catwalk to make the repairs. It looks naked.

Hope you all have a wonderful day! <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    I missed some of the more recent posts!
    Janet- Yikes! So glad you are going to the doc to get it checked out! My DOS had a "rash" like that on his legs, chest and arms when he was younger. It was strep. His reaction to strep came in form of a skin rash rather than a sore throat. Hope your diagnosis is something easily treatable like strep.
    Penny- Yea! I knew you would have people lining up for your services! The sourdough recipe sounds good!
    Lisa- It is interesting how 9-11 affected all of us. I, too felt the heartache, fear, but I had no doubts that America would recover. If anything, that day was the day that brought me back to life after the deaths of my parents seven years earlier. I was in a zombie like state for seven years. Perhaps I needed something like that to reset the "fight or flight" response in me. I was in stasis, and I remember after the shock of the attacks, having actual conscious thought and effort to step in to different areas and make things "better".
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)Penny, I'm so happy to hear that things are looking up on the employment front for you.

:) I am a lover of reading who just recently found the joy of audio books.....now I can "read" while walking the dogs. I have a different book that I read in bed at night and in the bathroom and a magazine on the table that I read while brushing my teeth with the electric toothbrush for 10 minutes. I'll be reading a lot more while I recover from my surgery and am already making a list and making sure the books I want are on my shelf or available at the library. Yesterday I finished listening to "Comfort Food" while walking the dogs and this morning I'll start "Six Kill" by Robert B. Parker.

<3 Barbie
    2191610q208gshr57.gif
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Love the book suggestions - I am also an avid reader - I don't go anywhere without my kindle - waiting in the car, waiting for the kettle to boil, you name it my kindle opens! After my course starts next Saturday, I'll be having to read for assignments - but I'm hoping to still be able to read for pleasure too. I love the idea of audio books for when walking the dogs - I hadn't considered that for my fun reading...

Prayers for those who are waiting for results or waiting for recovery. My friend's son (28) had a serious rock climbing accident at Easter - he was in a coma for 3 days with multiple injuries, broken bones, a crushed foot, skull fractures - you name it he had it. It was touch and go while he was in the coma. When he was allowed to wake they were on tenterhooks as to whether he would be brain damaged. They moved to the city where he was airlifted to and stayed in their caravan to visit him everyday. He did everything he was told by the medics and made amazing progress. He progressed to be able to live with his mum and dad, rather than be in hospital. To cut a long story short - he is now held together by metal (his x rays look like his skeleton is full of bicycle chains) - and in August was given the all clear to drive again - his recovery was that quick and complete!!! His parents were able to come on holiday with us in August - whereas originally he was supposed to still be in traction at that time! So inspiring. It makes you know that despite so much tragedy reported, there are still positives to hold on to.

Maryann in UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Kelly love the photo.

Janetr glad going to doctor hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Penny – tomorrow ! I am making that bread!!!!

Janetr – glad you are going to the doc.

MA – love the good stories! Thanks for sharing.

Off to a crazy busy day, hike, garden, drive an hour for lunch with my nephew, then home to sew… but all worth it…

September Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lizard saving, gardening in my own yard
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

Marcelyn ~ Hoping for good news for you and that you can get your shoulder repaired soon.

Janet ~ Get that rash looked at quickly!

Penny ~ So happy you have been blessed with new income producing jobs.

KJ ~ That photo of the pier is magnificent!

Until the last few years, I have always been an avid reader. Growing up I read in the tub, at the dinner table, in the car, and under the covers with a flashlight, etc. I think my addiction to the computer has crippled my desire even though I have a table full of books (mostly mysteries) to go through. I really need to get off the computer and read more.

Carol
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Michele: "Made a key lime cake to send to Pete for his birthday. OK, he's not exactly my pick, but he's Denise's pick and I need to respect that. I figure I'll freeze the cake and ice it next weekend then send it to him."
    I have a similar problem with DSIL. I need to follow your example because he is my daughter's choice and the father of my grandchildren. Thanks for the nudge. :flowerforyou:

JanetR: You seem to have a major outbreak of something. Could it be an allergic reaction? Going to the doctor is an excellent plan. Please let us know how you're doing. :heart:

Penny: Thanks for the sourdough recipe! I'm going to try it asap! I'm happy the work is coming in for you again. I'll bet that a number of your old clients will be contacting you in the coming months. :smiley:

I'm up in weight again. :embarassed: I need to cut back on sweets. I'm either underestimating my portion sizes or fibbing to myself. :grumble: No more ice cream or cookies for me in the foreseeable future.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!!

Janet- so glad Jack is taking you to a doctor! You must be soo uncomfortable!

Joyce- It is truly amazing how personally an event such as 9/11 touched each and every one of our lives and worse for so many others. Hopefully we can all continue to grow from a horrible experience. Like most journeys I fear it is going to be a long process.
    I hope you continue to feel better and work out a solution to your meds with your doctor.

Kylie- Resale Fashion! Where are you located? We "shape shifters" could provide a lot of business!!! ;)

Penny- Nice to hear from you! Glad to hear the business front is picking up. Isn't that how it always goes??

KJ- What an amazing photo! That should be framed!!!!

Pip- What are you doing up so early??? If I was you I would need to sleep for a day! :p

So I told DH about my lovely walk yesterday and told him I needed to see if we had a small flashlight so I could maybe start my day with an early walk (around 5am). I said the only thing that worried me might be skunks. And he said well there are coyotes up there... They come out of the woods (small area not a forest) on the south side of that cemetery.... WHA?????? COYOTES? We live in the middle of freaking town!!!!! I don't know a thing about them.... Are they nocturnal? I said well they would probably be more afraid of me than I am of them but all he said was if you see something that looks like a dog...... and didn't really give me an answer. Any of you know anything about coyote habits??? For crying out loud....LOL!! Anyway, messed up alarm clock and didn't have time to go out so I will plan on going after work. To be a phenomenal 80 degree day here.

Today is a kick of for Advanced Process Solutions at work. The number of people is doubled around here. Could be a chaotic week. I am not sure how much it will affect me so hoping to fly under the radar.....

Hope everyone and loved ones have a great day today!

Tracey in PA
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Now I've read back a bit.

Congrats Pip! You've done great deeds, both the biking deed itself and the money-raising deed.

At the same time, I must admit that it totally freaks me out when 4½ hours of top-level biking only burns 2671 kcal. Crikey! I've been known to eat that much in a single day - and I didn't do any four hours of biking to compensate either... :naughty:

Karen in VA - I remember severe headaches from a visit to Snowmass - whatever altitude that was. But hey, c'mon over to northern Norway. The tree line is at only about 500 feet! Or come to Svalbard, where the tree line is way below sea level. :wink:

JanetR - Yikes! That rash looks itchy-nasty. Are you on the road? Can you see anyone about it?

Joyce - I've apparently missed a lot about your health. Sorry to hear you've been through the wringer with your blood pressure recently. I hope you get your medications adjusted soon!

Barbie - You're scheduled for spine surgery? I hope your experiences match those of the woman you chanced to meet, who had been operated on by the same surgeon. (Funny how often those coincidences crop up.) Sorry you will temporarily be unable to walk and dance as much as you usually do. But that too will pass, and until it does, your attitude is perfect. :heart:

Kim in No. Cal. - Sorry if I've set you up for a bread addiction. I forgot to write that the amount of salt is very much up to the baker. I'm a salt fiend, so I go for the full 12 grams.

Yep, I've been busy, so I haven't had time to read or post much, but one thing I HAVE done is maintain my running. Over the past five weeks I've averaged 4 miles a day. :innocent:

I haven't posted my ambitions for September (I've hardly posted at all this month!), but I've been thinking about them. My weight has been creeping upward for a while and I think one reason is that I've somehow managed to get out of my habit of preparing 500 grams of raw veggies every morning and eating them as snacks. So that's my first resolution!

Don't anybody try to tell me I've gained muscle, not fat! I have a body composition scale, so I can see that there's no such change. I'll keep running, because I enjoy it, but now that I'm home again after all my summer travels, I'll get back to the gym for weight lifting, and hope that will up the muscle weight.

So here we go.

September ambitions:

Prep and eat 500 grams of veggies every day
    Run a total of 180 km
    Get to the gym twice a week

/Penny, slowly getting back on track at the North Pole
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi friends. I am still lurking about; struggling to get back on track. Glad to see how busy this thread remains! I'll try to be here more and support you all more than I have been. meg from Omaha
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Spikeyhair – Or is it Tracey? What I am talking about is basically a round trampoline that is probably no larger than 5’ in diameter from outside pole to outside pole, the canvas is probably 4’ in diameter. You can have it flat or have it slightly angled; buy raising 3 or 4 of the legs. Flat, you could jump on it like jogging without the pounding on your knees; we used them in cheer practice slanted to learn how to do flips. I had one in HS – but, that was over 45 years ago. Probably not something you could easily find now-a-days. I have a bad back and don’t think that just ‘jumping’ would help my back any. I would need some softness to land.

Lenora

I missed the original trampoline discussion. I have a mini trampoline in my basement - I use it lots. Even if for only 5 minutes as I am passing by to get something. There are videos on YouTube on various exercises you can do on the trampoline.

Lillian.... butting in...
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies!! :)

I really need to focus this week, catch up on the paperwork, while still getting my steps in. I want to fly to the west coast at the end of the month so i need to have all that paperwork DONE!!!!

Later everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Dear Friends~ So last night I watched a show regarding 9/11. It was about all the recordings of voices during that day. An audible record from various locations. The world saw what the news showed us, but the events happening to families, and what people enduring in the towers was a different story. A lot of the sounds were not hopeless, but the urgency to express important facts. They spoke to convey their love for their families, their kids, and many of the recordings are now a testament of courage for that family. It was a physical record also for the many services that broke down that day. The police couldn't talk to the firemen, the FAA couldn't mesh with the military. All in all a mess. So we learned what we needed to do, and changes were made. After watching the show, I was proud of our country. We did all come together and heal. We did care for our fellow man. We did change, improve, become stronger.

Yesterday I spoke with my eldest son. He is with his ship, getting ready for deployment. He seemed fine, just getting over jet lag.
    Type more later... (((hugs)))
    Becca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Penny - Good to see you back. :flowerforyou:

Did my writing today. o:) Always feels good.
    Exercise completed and exceeded. :D

I've found a restaurant in Cambridge. Two star Michelin. Just have to book it now. It's run by a chef I often see on TV. Nice dining room in a conservatory, though it will be dark in November so we won't have the river view. It's 19 minutes walk from the hotel, according to Google Maps. :laugh:

I woke up in a disturbed mood this morning and couldn't understand why. I think I've identified it now. Something to do with all the upheavals and pressures my DS and DDIL are going through. I think it brings back memories of my marriage when I had young children. I was severely depressed then, which they definitely are not, but I can feel the pressure they are under. The beautiful house they moved into and the beautiful garden is now all of a tip as they undergo works and there is just too much to do. DDIL's job in London is a hard commute, with trains cancelled at a moment's notice. :grumble: She wasn't home until 10 pm one day. They are bearing up, but it is far from easy. Perhaps I am projecting my own experience (we were endlessly renovating) and worrying unecessarily. I felt much better as the day went on and better for talking it out with DH. <3
    Thank you all for listening. :love:
    DDIL did ask me if I had thought any more about moving to Brighton. I have been looking at houses, but we haven't got quite enough money for what we'd like. It is incredibly expensive. Plus DH likes it here in the countryside and near his cricket. Maybe it's better if we keep our distance. :ohwell:

Love to all, Heather UK, where it's going to get warm again this week.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options