WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    :'(
  • Newseasonoflife
    Options
    I just found your page tonight. It is great to read all of your encouraging words towards each other. I am getting back to logging into MFP again. I have been pretty lazy and the scale shows. So, I was looking tonight for a group that I could find some motivation from and encouragement to sign back into MFP. It seems that you are inviting to newbies.. :wink:
    For this September, my goal is to log daily and weekly.
    Until later,
    Penny Jean
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :) welcome Penny Jean
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    BBL
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new ones! It is a good place, and I come back again and again. OK, every day. Not always to post, sometimes just to bask in a place where goodwill is the order of the day.

Pip - congrats! and ditto on the relationship. It's so fun to watch you and Kirby's adventures.

Barbie - I find your upcoming surgery crossing my mind regularly--your overall level of fitness and the weight you've lost will pay off handsomely in your recovery. We'll all be thinking of you, holding you up.

Marcelyn - thinking of you, too, and hoping for the best.

JanetR - hope the steroids work rapidly and effectively. Looks painfully itchy.

The DH's first day at the new job yesterday was successful, and he seems happy. And his old boss at the temporary job went through the time and felt there were show-up days Corey didn't get paid for, so he put him in for another ten hours, which was very cool. Basically, he'll have overlapping paychecks for a couple of weeks, as the new job pays weekly. Nice to have money coming in instead of flooding out for a change! Such a burden lifted off, now that he's no longer in a temporary job. Gives me back my own feeling of working because I want to, rather than because I must.

Press day tomorrow, but am getting more and more ahead of the curve on the paper, finally beginning to think two or three papers out, rather than just getting one week done at a time.

Got a story or two to write up before I go off to work to put in a few hours before the day begins and the place gets all noisy and well, newspaper-y. Still recovering from yesterday, working out at 5:30 a.m., city council meeting ended at 7:30 p.m. last night. Long day.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    ❤️❤️

Kate UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    up having my cup of tea, had a cup of sleepytime vanilla last night and was out like a light..not much to report.. same old ,same old
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Long work day ahead of me. Took a lovely walk with DH last night , he really is adjusting to our empty nest and making an effort to work on us, big sigh of relief(!).
    Heather I think of your DS and DDL and remember the early years-they're tough but recognizing it and muddling through can make what you have even sweeter--what could be sweeter than those grands!! You will come up with ways to support, they will show you what they need.
    Barbie love that the hospital sends all the information re the surgery-knowledge is power! I bet Jake will be so happy to take care of you and be the one reminding you that you are feeling better and how worthwhile this is going to be to have a solution to your pain.

Shout out to Beth hanging in there? I'm thinking of you! <3

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    morning peeps and welcome new ones
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)<3Lisa, You and your hubby have been strong and patient through some bumpy times...it's great that your have money coming in and that you can relax and enjoy your feeling of being useful and creative on your job knowing that finances and stresses are better...thank you for your kind and encouraging words

:)NYKaren, Jake is already starting to pamper me and do things for me even before the surgery.

:)Penny Jean, welcome...these women have supported and encouraged me for a long time....keep coming back.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pip, such a wonderful story about DH. I am so glad he has recovered so well.

Janet, glad you got some answers.

Love to all. Girls are hyper this morning and distracting me so cannot respond any further. So glad this group is here!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! It is trash day today! Yea! LOL! This is a big day for my littles because they LOVE the garbage man and his new truck. They will be keeping an eye out at the front window for his arrival at around 9-ish. He has gotten used to seeing the little faces in the window and now he waves at them every time he picks up the trash. His new truck has a mechanical arm that picks up the can and empties it into the truck. It is a very big deal for them!
    Re-I have posted this week's challenge stats and am happy to say that I have lost 3 pounds this past week! Whoot! Heading back in the right direction, thanks to getting back on board and logging and eating according to my planned meal list.
    I know I won't make it to my goal weight by Christmas, but I will push it and stay honest and see how close I can get!
    STARTING WEIGHT: 209
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 223
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (THIS WEEK) :-3
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (ALL WEEKS): +14
    GOAL WEIGHT:180
    ULTIMATE GOAL WT.: 140
    TOTAL LBS AWAY FROM GOAL: 43

Welcome newbies!- This is a great group! Do not feel overwhelmed by the posts or trying to respond; just glean what knowledge, support and love that you can and post when you have time or feel moved to do so.
    Connie- Don't be discouraged and don't be so hard on yourself! Awareness is the first step, taking action is the second. You are two steps on your way! We have all been or are still on the path that you are on and you will get support here! You got this darling! <3
    Becky - I will be 50 in November and I am in the last stages of menopause; so I am sitting right next to you on this journey! The rapid weight gain and the extra work it takes to get it off was a new thing for me! I was always a very thin person (my mom called me bony-butt when I was young) so once I hit menopause and my hormones went crazy and the weight started piling up I immediately shut down. To top it off, I have never been an athletic person, so I have had to push myself into physical activity. Lots of great ideas from this group and the support is phenomenal!
    PIp - Well, what can I say that the others haven't already said about you and your wonderful Kirby!? You both are so inspiring to me(us)! I am sure you will move into your next athletic adventure, the marathon, with the same enthusiasm and athleticism. So proud of you both and all that you do for others! <3
    Readers - I just began reading the book Mao's Great Famine. Historical non-fiction about Mao Zedongs insane strive to make China more powerful than Great Britain in a matter of a few years. His "Great Leap Forward" ended in a mass genocide of his people as he worked them and starved them to death. More than 45 million Chinese worked, starved, or tortured to death within five years! I decided to read this basically because it was an event in history that I was never aware of. Our history books and media really didn't give us much news on China because all of that information was kept secret up until recent years. I do read other genres. Of course much of what I read on a daily basis is children's material. But for fun I tend to venture into fantasy, mystery or suspense. Some of my favorite authors are Grisham, Michael Crichton, Tom Clancy, Stieg Larsson, Stephen King, David Eddings etc.. Of course, I love classics by Dickens and Tolkien and once in a while I will dig out my Jane Austen books, but I can only handle so much of the helpless woman character anymore. I frequently meander into the teen section at the library and read up on the latest books the kids are reading. So I have read the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Ender's Game, Twilight, Divergent, Miss Peregrine..., lots of great series out there for teens!
    Well, it has taken me over an hour to write this post and as I finish up, the baby is eating her breakfast and scattering cheerios onto the floor. I am sure she is doing so, so that she will have food to forage for later in the day. That stray fuzzy cheerio that falls where my broom will not reach...
    Have a GREAT Tuesday! Love and hugs to all that need them! <3 Happy Trash Day!
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Morning All!

Pip-Lovely read! Sweet funny and inspiring!

Re and Katla- 'Trash' LOL!! IMHO if it make you happy then it's not trash. The idea of book discussion is a cool one. Keep up the good work with the kettle bells. One day I will feel ready to try one. One step at a time....

JOYCE- That sentiment applies to how I feel about doctors in general...GRRR....

Connie-Hi!! Don't worry the food preoccupation will pass... My current preoccupation is the CO vs CI and activity minutes. I guess each phase eventually becomes second nature or habit. Hang in and keep coming back!

KJ- I too like the classics.... I have the entire Jane Austen collection...Funny but I never felt that they were the helpless females. Contrary more a strong bunch of women not willing to settle...Much like here!!! For the time period, of course. My Mom read all the Harry Potters as they were coming out. She was like a cute kid waiting for the next book. I see a Miss Peregrine movie is coming out and I considered that that might be a great read. Have to look for it...

Kim and Lenora- Thanks a bunch for the coyote info. I do not think I will let them deter me. Looked in the garage for a flashlight but could not find one. DH said we will get one for me... In the mean time, went out immediately after work yesterday for 2miles which put me over 10k steps and 60 active minutes (yea!) so that I could relax and watch the Steelers game last night. Which I did with NO motivation to snack. (another yea!) Since tonight is 'date night' with DH, I got up early and got 30 active minutes with 20 on the rower and two quick trips around the block. Currently at 5k steps and 33 active minutes but may not get a lot further since I have a desk job but I am still quite happy. My goal for the month was 20 minutes active on fitbit per day, which I was pretty slow with at the beginning of the month, but now am beginning to make some of that up. Gotta keep up the motivation!!

Becky- I'm 52. Might be done with meno but not sure if lifestyle changes might be just making it easier. Am also hypothyroid. Double whammy on the weight!!!! Most of us on here probably are/have been where you are.... we can overcome this too!! Hang around, we will get there!!

Have a Happy, Healthy and Productive Day!!!!

Tracey in PA
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    Hello Rapturous Readers!

It does bother me at work - don't ask me why - but, when I go into the office - I start eating around noon - and finish up when I get home - so I am done with food by about ten.

Hugs for everybody!

Re in TX

I found I constantly ate at work...Always had to have snacks in my desk and if I didn't - I was 2 blocks from the grocery store. Now that I am retired I don't have that problem. I have no idea why work does that to us!!

Lillian
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Morning all.... covered everything last night that I didn't want to freeze, so this morning the grand kids and I will uncover the pumpkins and the peppers and flower pots....

And on that note - I better get dressed before they get in here

Have a great day everyone!!

Lillian in frosty West Central Saskatchewan
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    KJ and Tracey we seem to have same taste in books. I loved Harry Potter, Hunger Games and Divergent has anyone read the Dust series? My pals and I are waiting for the Miss Peregrine movie too as we were in Blackpool celebrating my 70th birthday and they were filming there

Welcome all new gals wonderful group of really nice ladies here, we discuss all sorts of things as well as supporting weight loss or fitness issues

Kate UK
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn: Thinking of you

Melissa: Thank you for the tip on the Kitchenaid mixer attachment. Welcome to the group!

Connie, Becky: Welcome!

Re, Katla: I'm with you on the trashy romance, murder mystery, sci-fi and fantasy...love 'em all!

Janetr: Glad the meds are starting to work

Barbie: Nancy Drew for grownups...? I loved Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys! What is the name of the series with the small town heroine? I'd love to look it up.

Penny Jean: Welcome to a great group of ladies!

Kelly: Happy Trash Day! :)

I've stood in line-ups to get each Harry Potter book when it was first released and then had to negotiate hard (sometimes arm wrestle) with my son to see who got to read it first :)

Started vacation yesterday so I'm going to go to Tai Chi this morning. I haven't seen many of the people since I started back to work full time. Looking forward to being able to say hi.

Have a wonderful day!

Carey - Northern Alberta