WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth - {{{hugs}}} Hoping you get good news from your doctor, but know that we will be here to support you regardless.

Charleen - What a great NSV!

Just bopping in for a quick stop today. My daughter is coming home from college for the weekend as it is homecoming and she wants to help her younger sister get ready for the dance. I think she is a little disappointed that none of her close friends will be home. But, selfishly, I am happy that means I'll get to spend more time with her. In case I don't get a chance to check in, hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Linda/IA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Charlene - Fantastic! I did that once with a favourite pair of trousers. I took them in when I lost weight, then I got too fat for them, then when I lost weight again I excitedly got them out of the cupboard and they were hanging off me! Well done you. :flowerforyou:

Just made DH an Allbran loaf. I have been slacking off making him cakes recently and have been buying them for him instead. :embarassed: Nice to treat him, as Hampshire lost their match and are going down to the 2nd division. :'(

Then I ordered a food delivery for Sunday morning, the first slot they had available. One thing I have ordered is their low alcohol cider. I had a bottle tonight - only 1%. :D He has custard tarts in the delivery, so won't go hungry. :D Got to pick up some emergency food tomorrow as we are out of everything, including milk.

We've been coordinating our calendars. Quite a lot going on. Most of it he hadn't written down. :grumble:

Love Heather UK

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    CHARLEEN ~ What a great problem to have! :)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tracy, I have intentionally wrote down big rants and then torn it up. Very good for the soul plus just writing it down sometimes give me insight as to why it was bothering me so.

Charleen, wonderful problem to have! I can't remember when I last went shopping. I think it is because all the wonderful clothing in size 12 is now pushed back in the closet, then I have the 14s I bought and I am now in 16s. I am slowly getting back in the 14s.

I was going to go to my sister's and my favorite store, Christopher and Banks next week. Her birthday was early September and that was when I was really feeling bad plus would have not been able to even walk in the mall without passing out. So we set a date to go next Thursday. But she was wanting a denim vest and found one in a consignment shop but when she went back it was gone. So she went by herself to our store and they had 2 left. She didn't feel she could miss the chance of not getting it. So she brought it over here and said thanks, could you write me a check for $$$$!!!!! I had to laugh. But what she missed out was that I had a coupon that she could have got it for 40% off and my check to her would have covered the entire cost. But I will use that coupon next week and see if there is something that I HAVE to have. When she got over here, she pulled into a neighbors driveway so she could back up and park in front of my house. In the process she packed into their mail box. The only damage we could see was 2 bricks were displaced in their landscaping. Mailbox was intact. But it completely took out the back window of her minivan!!!! She left her phone number in the mailbox, not name, and told them she had hit the mailbox. When the guy came home, he got her note and also saw her car so when he called her he only asked for $5 and said she got the worst end of it. So it looks like I am her driver to doctor's appointments next week. I may be tired of my sister by weeks end with driving her to 2 appointments and our lunch out and shopping. Sometimes we just browse consignment shops. I do want to go to Christopher and Banks. She has a mobility scooter and will use it in the mall.

Heather, if it weren't for the fact that Michelle lives here in town, along with my sister and the fact that this is the place the family comes for holidays, I would move in a minute to where my grand kids are. Well when I think of it, there are other reasons I stay here. Both mine and Charlie's parents graves are here, I hate the thought of moving, I wouldn't want to house search long distance and I like my neighborhood. But I would love to be closer to my grand kids events. Maybe they need to move here!!!!!! HMMM, don't think so and it would be unfair for me to ask. I do know that Michelle was surprised when we didn't automatically think of moving when our Moms died. Our Dads died around the same time and so did our Moms.

Joyce, Indiana

• Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    HAPPY FRIDAY! I'm leaving work in 8 minutes - yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy - @cityjaneLondon that pasta sounded divine! - I think I will try something like that except with corn pasta as opposed to wheat! yum! I treated myself to chicken and mushroom CREAM soup - which I never have cream soup and it was deelish - but NOT later - LOL another hard lesson learned from the stomach/intestinal arena! oh well! - anyone else here a Celiac? or Non-Celiac Disease?
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    tgif.
    hugs
    jane
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Love it, Pip.

Yay, Charlene. This time, buy no-iron blouses!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    JOYCE ~ Is there a Christopher & Banks outlet shop near you. I know there is one at the Tanger outlet where I go sometimes but I have never been in the store.

Eating was not good today but probably not as bad as I thought. Had leftover sweet & sour pork over rice for breakfast and it had no added fat and the pork was very lean. Ate lunch at Chili's with our son and family. Had part of a house salad and chicken fahitas without the wrap or cheese. Did put a spoon of sour cream on it.

Finally got the bedroom set from my mom's out of the garage and into the house. It is being stored in the living room until we can find a place to send the bedroom set that is in the second bedroom. We could put it upstairs in the huge bonus room but don't think we could get it up the stairs. Hoping the son can find a place for it in his house.

All the work on the rental house is done and it has been turned over to an agent. I think he has decided to ask for too much for renters to bite. May have to lower the price he set. This house was built in 1975 and has been well kept but not had the baths/kitchen updated which I would prefer to do at some point.

Carol
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    NY Karen - Unfortunately I have no one I can swap clothes with, no sisters or other family. My daughter's taste in clothes is not mine. She is a college student and is much taller than I am. When I retired I donated almost all of my dress clothes and smaller sized clothes since I wasn't wearing them and wanted to de-clutter the closet.

DrKatiebug - Yes ma'am, no more blouses that need ironing!

I guess I could grab all my super over sized clothes and put them on as a costume for Halloween - 'The Incredible Shrinking Woman!' Come see how she flails about as her monster clothes try to devour her! :D

Thank you all for the warm words of encouragement, I read often but post infrequently.

I've been listening to all of your recommendations when someone else was facing the same issue and thought I might take a trip to the local recycle store to see if I can find a couple pairs of blue jeans and tops. I don't want to sink a lot of money into clothes right now as I still have a ways to go yet. I had hoped I could hold out till the Christmas shopping season was in full swing so I could catch the sales. I thought that a few new outfits would be a nice reward for sticking with MFP and keeping true to my goal.

Charleen in Colorado (The weather is about to turn chilly, rainy and snowy in the foothills & mountains)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    LinCharpentier – I think whatever your size might be; having clothes that ‘fit’ properly is what makes you look best. Trying to fit into something that is ‘too small’ only makes you look like you have stuffed yourself into. Wearing something that is baggy quite often makes people wonder ‘what are you hiding’ or - 'gee, she's big'? I’ve always tried to have my clothes fit whatever size I happened to be. It got pretty difficult to go by sizes; because a pair of jeans at Dillard’s/Macy’s in a size 12; in a less expensive place … would be a 14 – to get the same fit. My DH used to call on several clothing factories; and they decide what it normal and go up and down from there, insofar as what size tag they put in them - randomly. That was an eye-opener for me. I strongly agree, that ‘if’ you are going to go shopping for clothes, and you find something you like, take the size that you ‘think’ might fit and one on either side of that. Then decide which fits you best. I am in a ‘size’ 12 at the moment; but, I do have a few 10’s and a few 14’s in my closet. If the size bothers you that much, cut it out. I had a lot of size 16’s because of working; and I wore them until they were hanging off my hips; got them taken in by a tailor; who told me at the time, that when I lost more weight; he would not be able to cut them down further because it would affect the placement of rear pockets on my pants/shorts. I’ve always worn a “L” in a top; but, now this summer, I found when I bought a ‘L’; I would have to take them to him to get the underarms taken up. Now I am in a “M” … which makes me happy; but, there again, it depends on how it is cut as to what size I wear. But, at the moment, I am consistently a size 12, shoes a size 7 ½ … still the tops depend on how they are cut and if they had sleeves in them as well. Some things are beginning to get looser still, ... thanks; I need that; because it seems like my weight isn't changing; but, the % of fat to muscle is. The shorts that I normally weigh for my weigh-ins are just plain too big; so I have to try to figure what I can wear that I’ll know how much they weigh so I can mentally deduct the weight on the scales as if I was stepping up on at home – butt naked. I have to take off my shoes anyway to set on the scale for a correct weigh-in. I take off my jewelry and glasses off as well.

I think the real NSV was not being able to lift a 40lb of ‘potting soil’; that being the amount of ‘extra’ weight I was toting around. I feel so much better now that I am getting closer to my goal; but, I also find that it is harder to take those pesky few lbs. off!

Joyce – I know how your sister feels, I went to Belk’s and found a nice vest; I should have bought it on the spot; when I went back after eating … it was gone! The clerk said she had just sold it. Now, if I find something I like and it fits me … I will buy it, if I have the money to do so. Oh well, can’t go back in time. When we lived in Macon, my best friend would never buy something unless it was 'on sale'. She'd also buy something, even 'if' at the time she did not have something to wear with it; but, by the end of the season ... she will have found something. I went shopping with her once and he hit the department stores first ...; then to the discount stores to buy something that looked like the one in the department stores. My Mother sewed, we learned to sew; and, one of the things she made sure we 'looked' for when buying clothes is to make sure the 'pattern' match at the seams. I won't buy anything with a pattern if the pattern doesn't match ... such as a plaid or stripe. I know, that is a little crazy; but, I also look at the inside seams to see how they are finished off. Whether they have stitches on the edges and not loosely cut that will fray the first time I wash it.

Pipdc34 – I know that DH used to swim ‘behind’ me when we went diving. Drove me NUTS! I wanted him to be ‘beside’ me like he was supposed to be, that way we could see (together) what was going on

Mmmmm, I thought that Homecoming was tonight; but, DH has not said anything about it; and, he is out mowing the grass. Maybe he thinks it is just too hot to go. Don't know if DMGD is going to the dance or not. Never heard her say. She did break up with #4 (nickname for BF). He did not attend the same school anyway.

Ordered plant to be sent for DDnL#2's grandmother's funeral tomorrow. She said she had just gotten back from the funeral home after fixing her hair. Says it does not bother her to do it for others; but, it was hard to do her own grandmother's hair. Said she will never to another family member.

Her mother is going to stay at her house for another week or so, so that she can get used to her being gone. DDnL#2 was especially close to her; but, said it was very difficult to watch her dying.

Lenora
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I love shopping at places like Goodwill. You can wear the clothes for a month and re-donate them and get new ones! It's so fun and pain free.

Congrats, Charleen in Colorado!

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Evening friends
    Tom and I had a screaming match and I hate having yelling matches...
    He is accusing me of lying , we got the bill for the kidney Dr,almost 500.00 well that sent him over the edge,but the facility fee is everytime I go it will be that, much, he said I told him it was a one time fee, starts banging and spitting and yelling.. So I yelled back..and then left and went to visit my brother,,,,
    He has been good for awhile.. Gonna have a chat with him tomorrow after a good nights sleep
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Evening friends
    Tom and I had a screaming match and I hate having yelling matches...
    He is accusing me of lying , we got the bill for the kidney Dr,almost 500.00 well that sent him over the edge,but the facility fee is everytime I go it will be that, much, he said I told him it was a one time fee, starts banging and spitting and yelling.. So I yelled back..and then left and went to visit my brother,,,,
    He has been good for awhile.. Gonna have a chat with him tomorrow after a good nights sleep

I'm sorry...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :) I got the call this afternoon to tell me that my check in time for surgery on Wednesday will be 10:45 AM with no food after midnight. The doctor has two surgeries before mine so it will be a long time without food...I am so used to eating on a schedule that this sounds like starvation to me. However, in the great scheme of things, this is a small problem...it is what it is.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Allie, so sorry about the yelling match. I guess it wouldn't work to go read his card?????? No I didn't think so. LOL. When I was writing this, i miss spelled card and said cad!

Carol, I will have to google that. Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked and there are two in Ohio which would be the two closest. It is to far to warrant driving to an outlet mall. My husband and I don't have good luck with going together, he wants to go to his own places and not support where I want to. And there is no way my sister and I would drive that. That would be dangerous for all on the road with us. Now if there was an organized bus trip from here it would be nice. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Pip, such a wonderful tribute to Kirby.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.37min, 16.5amph, 147mhr, 2.9mi = 100c
    JOG- 50min, 10.16ap, 134ahr, 149mhr, 2mi @ .5incl @ 5.7-5.8sp, 2mi @ 1.0incl @ 5.8-5.9sp, .85mi @ 1.5incl @ 6.0-6.7sp, 4.85mi = 466c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.33min, 15.1amph, 144mhr, 1.4mi = 75c
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.20min, 157mhr, 7.6amph, WINDY, 2.5mi = 217c
    total cal 858
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Barbie: What will be done on your surgery? I'll be sending visions of energy and total healing your way. Agree about the long fasting period. Sometimes the anticipation of an event is worse than the actual experience.

Pip: Even though your wrote it as a tribute to Kirby, you have actually given MS Society an additional gift. Stories from donors and supporters are like gold to non-profit communication executives.

Charleen: Great NSV! Clothes Mentor is a great chain of consignment shops. I think about 40% of what's in closet came from there. I've also inherited from friends and relatives who used to be smaller.

I've had a challenging week with long hours and more stress than usual. Just got back from chiropractic adjustment and therapeutic massage and feel brand new. Bring on the weekend!

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    where there is very cool wind blowing ahead of the storm
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Joyce and Carol, there is a C & B retail store at the Mall of Georgia in Buford. I also sometimes shop at the outlet store near my house that Carol is probably talking about. I don't see much difference in price. You just have to play the game and use the coupons. You can also find good deals online and return to the store if you don't like it.

I used to love C & B but I haven't had much luck there lately.