Why didn't Keto work for me?

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Unless I missed it, nobody mentioned that with your powerlifting programme you would have gained water weight that may have masked some loss. I say this because water weight stalls can go on longer than you'd expect. I'm just coming out of a five week stall - I've had a deficit all that time but there's been no visible loss. The water is now dropping off fairly fast. Granted my deficit was not that big during that time, 250cal a day, but water weight combined with a slightly miscalculated deficit (partly due to the untracked reefed days) could explain the stall you saw.

Persistence is key.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Bodies are complex; definitely not as simple as the CI/CO people want to believe. An example - I have two big dogs. They get the same food and the same amount of exercise. They both have normal lab test results. One of them tends toward chubby. I feed her the minimum amount of food recommended for a dog of her size, and she's at the top of her acceptable weight range. The other dog is more lean. He gets more food than the other dog does, and he stays in the middle of his acceptable weight range. Why? My vet can't tell me.

Yes, biochemistry is very complex and no diet regime you get from a book or from a forum (including IFFYM, low carb, keto or any others) can encompass all that their is. That's why people spend years of education specializing in such things. If you have a specific issue than the customized recommendations of an RD is the way to go. However, your dogs have no real bearing on this because you can't really control for their actual consumption or exercise, you just make assumption and not to mention that breeds can be very different do to husbantry while people not so much.

I absolutely do account for consumption and exercise. I'm the feeder and dog walker. Slightly chubby dog gets 2 cups of food per day. Lean dog gets 3 cups. They are different breeds, but we humans also differ in exact genetic makeup.

And both dogs move around exactly the same amount during the day? They play the same amount and with the same intensity? They sleep exactly the same? They both have precisely the same lean mass vs fat mass (obviously not)? When you take the dogs for a walk, both behave exactly the same way (react identically to the things they see, smell and hear, keep the same tension on the leash, one doesn't have more extraneous movement, etc)?

The contributors to CO are more complex than you're thinking.

And to add, breeds make a difference too, picture a St Bernard then a Grey Hound.

I can absolutely agree with this (vet in training.)
    The dogs may get the exact same exercise and food each day, but one may be slightly larger, weigh more and/or fidget/explore more. One may have more lean mass/fat than the other. Different heart rates. One may even eat faster, one may sleep more/less. One may put more effort into walks that the other.

This is how my two dogs are. They get the same amount of food but the male is larger, weighs more, and is much stronger. The female eats faster, gobbles food and sleeps more. She is softer, smaller, and weighs less and is not overweight.
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Unless I missed it, nobody mentioned that with your powerlifting programme you would have gained water weight that may have masked some loss. I say this because water weight stalls can go on longer than you'd expect. I'm just coming out of a five week stall - I've had a deficit all that time but there's been no visible loss. The water is now dropping off fairly fast. Granted my deficit was not that big during that time, 250cal a day, but water weight combined with a slightly miscalculated deficit (partly due to the untracked reefed days) could explain the stall you saw.

Persistence is key.

True. People can hold onto water in the empty fat cells for a period of time after fat loss. The body composition changes but the weight seems high because of water weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Persistence is key.

I went through that too with lifting. It lasted for four weeks and then a whoosh drop. I had to keep reminding myself that I had a good handle on my intake, so needed to just trust the process.
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016
    Options

Testing Testing

https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

@ItsyBitsy246 Can you see the play button on this one? It's showing for me, I'm on a pc

Appears as a pic on an iPhone, but if you click on it, there is a play button (although you wouldn't know that).

Thanks Queenmunchy! My iPhone didn't show the play button, but it worked like you said when I touched the photo.

Edited double quote
  • sweetbug0130
    sweetbug0130 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to help you without knowing every detail. Height, weight, daily activity level, weekly exercises, and every single thing you ate or drank.

Lots of people think they are doing it correctly but are really eating a lot more carbs than they believe or they are eating way too many calories for their exercise level and not letting themselves get into fat burning state.

5'2", 266, 80 lbs to lose, exercised daily with a 300-500 calorie burn, lifted weights, and I counted, measured, and weighed everything I ate. 1370 calories and 70/15/5 fat to carbs.

I dont know if I'm misreading this, but where did the other 10% come from? Your numbers add up to 90.

70/25/5, typo.
  • sweetbug0130
    Options
    I am doing Keto and I was wondering how many carbs did you eat everyday and protein in grams?

I had 5% carbs and 25% protein.
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016
    Options

Did you watch the video and have specific questions about it or just a generic "???"?

Oh it didn't show me it was a video. I'm sorry.

It's a good video but if you measure accurately you already were aware of these issues. Basic idea is that you can't trust your eyes when trying to maintain a particular level of caloric intake.

One reason why keto and low carb diets work for many is that they don't feel like eating and self-regulate to a deficit, which is rather handy.

It is great not to feel hunger or cravings. The blunting of hunger was a big (pleasant) surprise to me when I first tried it.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    rainbowblu wrote: »
    OP,see your Dr!!! Don't be like me and try to figure this out alone, I wasted too much time with the same concerns KNOWING that I was weighing and measuring in GRAMS!!

Turns out I had PCOS,and Insulin resistance,My hormone levels were all screwed up and my Zinc and B vitamins were extremely low. Once I corrected those issues I started losing 3lbs a week eating the EXACT same things I was eating before...this is why weight loss books/programs tell you to see your Dr.First

Good luck,don't wait years like I did to get everything checked out.

I'm not OP, but I've waited years also and suspect I am undiagnosed insulin resistant and should go get it checked out for sure to confirm. I hate going to doctors, but your post is very encouraging. Thanks!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

Persistence is key.

True. People can hold onto water in the empty fat cells for a period of time after fat loss. The body composition changes but the weight seems high because of water weight.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

That seems to just be hearsay mostly.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to touch on the deficit aspect, as it's been discussed, but I want to note something about refeeds. I'm on the borderline of underweight and fairly lean, so I do have refeeds and yes I log it all. My normal carb intake is around 200 max gross, not net. When I refeed it can go as high as 400. The last refeed I did, I "gained" 7 pounds and it took five days to come off. I'm a daily weigher and know my trends, so if you weren't weighing daily and weighed after a refeed it could have easily masked a loss. I'm not saying this in a mean way, but with your stats you don't really need a refeed. Refeeds are for very specific reasons and I think your trainer was just trying to appeal to the thought of a cheat day, because that's essentially what you were doing.
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

Persistence is key.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

That seems to just be hearsay mostly.

My theory is that the whoosh and gain or drop in water weight has to do with glycogen binding to water in the body.

But the empty fat cells filling with water after a fat loss seems plausible. I don't know if it is heresay or not.
  • nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wasnt losing weight cause i forgot to add the 4tbsp of olive oil i was pouring into the pot to pan sear my fish, that adds up also the sauces were throwing me off, salt consumption kept my water up , switch up your cardio if you jogging alot try swimming or jump rope it might change things up a bit
  • sweetbug0130
    Options
    nefudaboss wrote: »
    I wasnt losing weight cause i forgot to add the 4tbsp of olive oil i was pouring into the pot to pan sear my fish, that adds up also the sauces were throwing me off, salt consumption kept my water up , switch up your cardio if you jogging alot try swimming or jump rope it might change things up a bit

Thanks. I just started back and I'm trying to watch my salt intake. I do measure everything out. I currently don't have a scale so measurements will have to do but I will do the best I can and see what happens.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Thanks. I just started back and I'm trying to watch my salt intake. I do measure everything out. I currently don't have a scale so measurements will have to do but I will do the best I can and see what happens.

If you are going back to low carb, lowering your salt intake may be a bad idea. With water weight lost from low carbs comes electrolytes lost and low sodium. Keto users often need to take 3000-5000mg of sodium per day - the equivalent of two teaspoons of salt.
  • sweetbug0130
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If you are going back to low carb, lowering your salt intake may be a bad idea. With water weight lost from low carbs comes electrolytes lost and low sodium. Keto users often need to take 3000-5000mg of sodium per day - the equivalent of two teaspoons of salt.

Good to know. That's one thing I don't have to count :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

No I didn't log them, my trainer told me I didn't need to...it was high carb day...no brainer

That makes no sense to me. But please be aware most trainers have no formal education or certification in nutrition, so they can give really bad advice. If you wouldn't go to a Registered Dietician for a lifting plan, then why ask a personal trainer about diet and nutrition?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I'm not going to touch on the deficit aspect, as it's been discussed, but I want to note something about refeeds. I'm on the borderline of underweight and fairly lean, so I do have refeeds and yes I log it all. My normal carb intake is around 200 max gross, not net. When I refeed it can go as high as 400. The last refeed I did, I "gained" 7 pounds and it took five days to come off. I'm a daily weigher and know my trends, so if you weren't weighing daily and weighed after a refeed it could have easily masked a loss. I'm not saying this in a mean way, but with your stats you don't really need a refeed. Refeeds are for very specific reasons and I think your trainer was just trying to appeal to the thought of a cheat day, because that's essentially what you were doing.

Really good point! I use a weight trending app now (Happy Scale--iPhone, Libra--Android) and weigh daily. I used to loathe the scale and hate my weekly weigh-in day but now the pressure's off as I can see how my weight naturally fluctuates. When I look at it with my food diary and exercise log, it makes even more sense.

It could be a good tool for you!