Why didn't Keto work for me?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I looked at about a week of the diary and the calorie totals are all over the place. I saw 1100, 700, 2000, 1400, 1500. These are broad ranges to consistently stay in a calorie deficit.. At one point the calorie goal was only 800 calories a day?

Did you regain the 4 pounds back? and Are you taking diet break now and wanting to go back to the 13XX?

What is your plan now? And are you power lifting now?

No I didn't regain the 4 lbs back. My trainer had me on intermittent fasting and calorie cycling which is why I'm reaching out to you guys for help. Keto is the only diet I can do effortlessly. I am lifting but not near as much as I was doing with the trainer.

The 4 pounds loss is still a loss and that is fantastic.

Have you setup your calorie plan to lose x pounds now in MFP? Are you making a "start fresh" goal? All I can advise that makes some sense to me, is to drop the refeeds, there is not benefit from carb loading when doing keto.

Stay with in your daily calories (no going over and especially no going under).. Do this for 3 - 4 weeks min. Take measurements of your body and maybe even photos.. since you are lifting heavy, you might notice some changes in body competition that may not show on the scale. You can do a weight trending app if you weigh daily.

Give this entire plan 3 - 4 weeks of 100% commitment and come back and tell us if this is work for you or not. If you do 100% by the book per se, and keto does not allow you to lose real fat loss, then you may want to reconsider a different method of losing weight (back to moderate carb,etc..)

I just did set it up. I'm going shopping tonight. I will start taking photos and measurements as well. I normally lose inches first anyways because I do lift. I am starting to think the refeeds are what messed me up. If I was lifting a lot, he would have me refeed every Saturday. Thanks for the info!

Excellent insight. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I looked at about a week of the diary and the calorie totals are all over the place. I saw 1100, 700, 2000, 1400, 1500. These are broad ranges to consistently stay in a calorie deficit.. At one point the calorie goal was only 800 calories a day?

Did you regain the 4 pounds back? and Are you taking diet break now and wanting to go back to the 13XX?

What is your plan now? And are you power lifting now?

No I didn't regain the 4 lbs back. My trainer had me on intermittent fasting and calorie cycling which is why I'm reaching out to you guys for help. Keto is the only diet I can do effortlessly. I am lifting but not near as much as I was doing with the trainer.

If you didn't regain the weight when you increased carbs, then it was not water weight - most likely it was fat. :) I know 4 lbs over 10 weeks isn't what you wanted but it is still a loss. You were probably on the right track. You were eating a diet you like and find sustainable, and lost weight. I would just give it more time.

I don't remember if someone asked this, but was your exercise routine pretty new when you tried keto? Weight loss can appear to stall when begnning an exercise program due to muscle repair and water retention.

It was definitely. I went from being sedentary to tons of cardio and powerlifting.

The new exercise could definitely have played a factor.

A few years ago I was doing a fairly heavy lifting program (P90X) but had to stop suddenly, and completely, due to a fairly serious back injury. Within two weeks of stopping I suddenly lost almost 10lbs without changing my eating in any way. Don't underestimate the effect of strenuous exercise.... But don't worry about it either. That extra water weight is just going towards nicely shaped muscles. ;)
  • sweetbug0130
    sweetbug0130 Posts: 125 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    How much weight did you have to lose? What are your stats? What answers are you looking for then if you don't want to hear a thing about calorie deficit?

I have about 80 to lose atleast. I'm 5'2" 266 lbs. The reason I don't want to hear about a calorie deficit is bc I know that part and did eat at a calorie deficit, lost four pounds the first week and didn't lose anything else over two months.

If you didn't lose anything in two months, you weren't eating at a deficit. Sorry.

So 1370 isn't a deficit!?!?!? If not then I give up and will remain at my weight. I will not starve myself.

Sweetbug, I encourage you to take a step back and really analyze this. That you did were not losing weight is clear evidence that you were not eating at a calorie deficit. Had you been doing so you would have lost weight.

1. Did you weigh all solids and measure all liquids and log every single thing you ate every single day?
    2. Did you have any cheat days, or days where you went over, that you did not log your food?
    3. Did you ensure you were using accurate food entries?
    4. Where did you get those exercise burns from? I can assure you you are not burning 300-500 calories for weight lifting. In fact, weight lifting is part of your activity level and should be counted as zero. Only steady state cardio calories are counted for exercise.

Those are just some things to think about.

I was told by my trainer to have two carb refeed days a month. Did that really mess me up that badly?

Did you log them?

No I didn't log them, my trainer told me I didn't need to...it was high carb day...no brainer

What?

The no brainer is logging your calories no matter what you eat that day because that is the only way to know if your calories are accurate.

There is no magic in a refeed, and your trainer was wrong to tell you not to log those days.

He seems to have been wrong about alot of things. He told me to refeed and not to count or worry about them that my only task was eating carbs. He called them dirty refeeds.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    OP,see your Dr!!! Don't be like me and try to figure this out alone, I wasted too much time with the same concerns KNOWING that I was weighing and measuring in GRAMS!!

Turns out I had PCOS,and Insulin resistance,My hormone levels were all screwed up and my Zinc and B vitamins were extremely low. Once I corrected those issues I started losing 3lbs a week eating the EXACT same things I was eating before...this is why weight loss books/programs tell you to see your Dr.First

Good luck,don't wait years like I did to get everything checked out.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    rainbowblu wrote: »
    OP,see your Dr!!! Don't be like me and try to figure this out alone, I wasted too much time with the same concerns KNOWING that I was weighing and measuring in GRAMS!!

Turns out I had PCOS,and Insulin resistance,My hormone levels were all screwed up and my Zinc and B vitamins were extremely low. Once I corrected those issues I started losing 3lbs a week eating the EXACT same things I was eating before...this is why weight loss books/programs tell you to see your Dr.First

Good luck,don't wait years like I did to get everything checked out.
    Oops double post
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Keto may not be suitable for your body chemistry. I'm not a doctor so I can't give you scientific reasons why, but I do know that if it didn't work, leave it behind and try MFP's suggested macro breakdown and calorie total instead. Not everybody feels this way, but I personally believe it will go much quicker and easier with regular workouts, especially if you incorporate lifting and not just cardio. Your body seems to burn its most calories by so doing.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Did you watch the video and have specific questions about it or just a generic "???"?

Question- how can you know when it's a video and not a pic? I thought it was just a pic (no play button or what not indicated). Wonder what other vids I've been missing on these forums... :(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Did you watch the video and have specific questions about it or just a generic "???"?

Question- how can you know when it's a video and not a pic? I thought it was just a pic (no play button or what not indicated). Wonder what other vids I've been missing on these forums... :(

Some have the play button, other haven't.

I always write "watch this video" when i post them now. Always hover over them if in doubt, and the play button will appear.
  • Christine_72
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Testing Testing

https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

@ItsyBitsy246 Can you see the play button on this one? It's showing for me, I'm on a pc
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Some have the play button, other haven't.

I always write "watch this video" when i post them now. Always hover over them if in doubt, and the play button will appear.

I've noticed on the app the videos are not as obvious as on the website.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am doing Keto and I was wondering how many carbs did you eat everyday and protein in grams?
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Testing Testing

@ItsyBitsy246 Can you see the play button on this one? It's showing for me, I'm on a pc

Hmmm... nope. I'm on a PC too (using Chrome on a Mac). I'll check tomorrow using one of my other computers, could be browser/platform specific. Thanks!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Testing Testing

Appears as a pic on an iPhone, but if you click on it, there is a play button (although you wouldn't know that).
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm on my phone now, and no, there is no play button. I wonder how many folks have gotten confused by this and thought someone just posted a random and unhelpful picture lol
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How many calories were you eating? How long did you go with absolutely no weight loss?

This website recommended 1370 and I stuck to that. I made sure my fat was high, my carbs were low, and my protein wasn't too high. Nothing after the first week for two months.

How did you measure your food, particularly your fats? Food scale, measuring cups/spoons, eyeballing? Edit..I see you say you weighed and measured. Measuring cups/spoons shouldn't be used, especially for fats. Scale for everything that isn't water/juice/stock/etc.

And, choosing the correct database entries help, too. Not all are correct. Choose database entries that match the nutrition data on your food packaging. Weigh raw. Weigh cooking oils. Weigh peanut butter/butter. Weigh everything that you do not actually drink/stocks.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    It's impossible to help you without knowing every detail. Height, weight, daily activity level, weekly exercises, and every single thing you ate or drank.

Lots of people think they are doing it correctly but are really eating a lot more carbs than they believe or they are eating way too many calories for their exercise level and not letting themselves get into fat burning state.

5'2", 266, 80 lbs to lose, exercised daily with a 300-500 calorie burn, lifted weights, and I counted, measured, and weighed everything I ate. 1370 calories and 70/15/5 fat to carbs.

I dont know if I'm misreading this, but where did the other 10% come from? Your numbers add up to 90.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Bodies are complex; definitely not as simple as the CI/CO people want to believe. An example - I have two big dogs. They get the same food and the same amount of exercise. They both have normal lab test results. One of them tends toward chubby. I feed her the minimum amount of food recommended for a dog of her size, and she's at the top of her acceptable weight range. The other dog is more lean. He gets more food than the other dog does, and he stays in the middle of his acceptable weight range. Why? My vet can't tell me.

Yes, biochemistry is very complex and no diet regime you get from a book or from a forum (including IFFYM, low carb, keto or any others) can encompass all that their is. That's why people spend years of education specializing in such things. If you have a specific issue than the customized recommendations of an RD is the way to go. However, your dogs have no real bearing on this because you can't really control for their actual consumption or exercise, you just make assumption and not to mention that breeds can be very different do to husbantry while people not so much.

I absolutely do account for consumption and exercise. I'm the feeder and dog walker. Slightly chubby dog gets 2 cups of food per day. Lean dog gets 3 cups. They are different breeds, but we humans also differ in exact genetic makeup.

And both dogs move around exactly the same amount during the day? They play the same amount and with the same intensity? They sleep exactly the same? They both have precisely the same lean mass vs fat mass (obviously not)? When you take the dogs for a walk, both behave exactly the same way (react identically to the things they see, smell and hear, keep the same tension on the leash, one doesn't have more extraneous movement, etc)?

The contributors to CO are more complex than you're thinking.

And to add, breeds make a difference too, picture a St Bernard then a Grey Hound.

I can absolutely agree with this (vet in training.)
    The dogs may get the exact same exercise and food each day, but one may be slightly larger, weigh more and/or fidget/explore more. One may have more lean mass/fat than the other. Different heart rates. One may even eat faster, one may sleep more/less. One may put more effort into walks that the other.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Testing Testing

~Pretty cool video.
  • Christine_72
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Testing Testing

~Pretty cool video.

I play it at random times just to listen to the catchy beat, It always get's the foot tapping and head bobbing. I just played it, and now my husband is wandering around the house whistling the tune :lol: