INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Why do we suddenly have a strawman about overeating at all in a thread about intermittent fasting? Let alone why are we talking about cancer?

IF is one method to prevent over eating of carbs and protein. Not overeating them per the doctor in the video means no increase in cancer risks. Based on that a side effect of effectively doing IF could be reduced risk type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

Correction, IF is one method to prevent overeating...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Can we all agree until one finds the micro at works best for them at the current time that counting calories is secondary to one's long term health success? I know I have to get what to eat correct before I know how much of it to eat. When to eat it can fall under how to do IF in a way at works best for me.

bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-low-carb-or-fasting.html

"I recommend my clients using a VLCD rather than fasting. My interpretation of the science is that due to the consistent, repeated stimulation of protein synthesis that you get with VLCD, it is a superior approach when looking at overall improvements in body composition. However, if executed properly, both these systems should result in similar fat loss. The key when choosing a VLCD or fasting is to decide which will enable you to execute most consistently and efficiently in your lifestyle."

This Ph.D. leans towards VLCD vs. IF.

No, "we" cannot agree on finding a "micro" that works best. Macro nutrient balance is about satiety and compliance which comes secondary to calorie consumption in the hierarchy of weight loss protocol. They are important factors -- very important factors, but they come down to individual preference. Calorie deficit is needed for everyone to lose weight and is universal. How does that make it secondary?

As for VLCD, why are you going there?

I *think* that the post was about nutrition being of primary importance to long-term health, which is different from what is important (energy balance) for weight loss. For long-term health, you'd be better off being a bit overweight, eating a varied diet to ensure adequate nutrient consumption than eating your TDEE in Skittles for perfect energy balance.

But I could be making the wrong assumption about what that post was about.

Ah, thank you. So, to answer what was actually addressed, I can't agree that being overweight is better for health in any way.

My example was about being overweight (I didn't say morbidly obese) and eating a balanced, varied diet long term, compared to being a normal weight and eating nothing but Skittles long term. It was an extreme example, just to try to highlight what I thought the intention of that post was. And yes, it is my opinion that the person who eats a varied diet with a BMI that indicates "overweight" will live longer than the person who only eats Skittles. Long term.
    Let me see if I can find that recent study that shattered the so-called "obesity paradox" myth...

http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2156

If you think that my intention was that it was the "overweight" part that was healthy, you totally missed my point. "Obese and healthy" is a myth. However, the obesity paradox is not a myth to shatter. It is a viewpoint that elderly and chronically ill may sometimes benefit from having extra weight when they experience unintentional extreme weight loss as a result of their illness. Being overweight has been associated with lower mortality rates in some cases. [/b]

nytimes.com/2013/01/02/health/study-suggests-lower-death-risk-for-the-overweight.html

"But a new report suggests that Miss Scheel may have been onto something. The report on nearly three million people found that those whose B.M.I. ranked them as overweight had less risk of dying than people of normal weight. And while obese people had a greater mortality risk over all, those at the lowest obesity level (B.M.I. of 30 to 34.9) were not more likely to die than normal-weight people."

Gale, that is from 2013. A new meta analysis, controlling for confounders like smoking, has found that not to be the case.

Read the BMJ link I posted upthread.

Conclusion Overweight and obesity is associated with increased risk of all cause mortality and the nadir of the curve was observed at BMI 23-24 among never smokers, 22-23 among healthy never smokers, and 20-22 with longer durations of follow-up. The increased risk of mortality observed in underweight people could at least partly be caused by residual confounding from prediagnostic disease. Lack of exclusion of ever smokers, people with prevalent and preclinical disease, and early follow-up could bias the results towards a more U shaped association.

And I buy into this.

Physically and mentally healthy people with a full choice of foods to eat typically are not under weight or obese so I agree there often may be underlying health issues impacting death rates besides body weight.

You seem to be saying that obese people have an increased risk of mortality (within a certain number of years) because they have an underlying condition that is also causing the obesity, and not because it is a risk factor in and of itself. Also, you seem to be saying that healthy people can't become obese, that obesity must be caused by an underlying physical or mental illness* -- is that right?

Out of curiosity, what was your top BMI and what is your BMI now?

*I suspect you are defining any tendency to overeat as a mental illness which is, well, interesting.

Well, wait a moment. Obesity/weight gain is a symptom for several diseases as well as a side effect of many medications...same thing as being under weight.

The best thing I ever learned in business school was that correlation does not equal causation.
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    Why do think over eating of carbs increases one risk of developing cancer but over eating of fats does not increase the risk of developing cancer then?

Carbs cause cancer?

There was nothing in my post about carbs causing cancer so I do not understand your question.

You said overeating of carbs increases the risk of cancer. I was specifically asking about that. It's in the part I quoted. I've never heard that before and was asking to have some additional information.

@jprewitt1 this info came from Dr. Thompson of Sloan Kettering a few years ago. We do not know the causes of cancer but somehow over eating carbs increases the risks of cancer when over eating fats do not per this doctor. Protein does not get a free ride but Fats do.

youtube.com/watch?v=WUlE1VHGA40

Jump to 25:00 to the video if pressed for time for his quote. Below is a print article discussing this video.

https://dawnwaldron.com/2014/01/15/overeating-carbohydrates-dramatically-increases-cancer-risk/

I don't intend to watch this.

Here's why.

Overeating anything will cause someone to carry extra weight.

Extra weight itself is a risk factor for many types of cancer. What this particular doctor is saying makes no sense in light of that. I don't think that weight related cancers care what macro you over indulged in, Gale.

This one is personal for me, I'm at risk for one of these cancers if I don't control my weight.

I understand preventing a premature death is not of interest to some people but I would not have found MFP and its value had I not been interested in trying to prevent my premature death and of two other family members. Best of success.

So anyone that doesn't adopt LCHF is not interested in preventing premature death? That's quite a leap there, Gale.

I think you know that is not true. It is the over eating of CARBS that is known to increase the risks of cancer. Overeating FATS do not increase the risk of cancer so if one is going to overeat at the buffet they can just make sure it is on fats is my take from Dr. Thompson's presentation. LCHF is just one WOE.

Not over eating CARBS and PROTEINS is one way to help prevent a premature death from can cancer per the doctor.

So if I overeat to the point of obesity, I am safe as long as I only overeat fat and not carbs?

The doctor did not address that I remember. After over eating carbs 40 years and not being able to over eat fat as long as I keep my carbs <50 grams a day with none from sugar or grains I have not been able to regain my obese state after trying for three months. I would appreciate if you would give it a go and see if you can and report back.

I am not saying it is not possible just because I could not become obese overeating fats and very low carbs at the same time. Now over eating carbs and fats at the same time becoming obese would be a cake walk in my case.

So when you say over eat, you do not mean over eat to the point of overweight then. So it's being overweight that puts you at risk, not carbs, fats or proteins. You just happen to have found your solution of losing weight and improving health markers...

He states it is over eating of carbs and protein to a lesser extent that increases the risks of cancer in humans as I understood it. Over eating of fats carries not increase in cancer is what I heard him say.

But if one is not gaining weight/fat they are not overeating...

Unless that is they are putting on muscle...
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Why do we suddenly have a strawman about overeating at all in a thread about intermittent fasting? Let alone why are we talking about cancer?

IF is one method to prevent over eating of carbs and protein. Not overeating them per the doctor in the video means no increase in cancer risks. Based on that a side effect of effectively doing IF could be reduced risk type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

So, let's assume that someone's TDEE is 3000 calories. If they eat 500 calories in carbs and protein and eat 3000 calories in fat, they will gain because of the carbs and protein. Is this what you are essentially saying?

Everyone knows that overeating by 500 calories is going to be a gain due to calories. Period.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

So, let's assume that someone's TDEE is 3000 calories. If they eat 500 calories in carbs and protein and eat 3000 calories in fat, they will gain because of the carbs and protein. Is this what you are essentially saying?

Everyone knows that overeating by 500 calories is going to be a gain due to calories. Period.

I'm not certain that everyone believes that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Can we all agree until one finds the micro at works best for them at the current time that counting calories is secondary to one's long term health success? I know I have to get what to eat correct before I know how much of it to eat. When to eat it can fall under how to do IF in a way at works best for me.

"I recommend my clients using a VLCD rather than fasting. My interpretation of the science is that due to the consistent, repeated stimulation of protein synthesis that you get with VLCD, it is a superior approach when looking at overall improvements in body composition. However, if executed properly, both these systems should result in similar fat loss. The key when choosing a VLCD or fasting is to decide which will enable you to execute most consistently and efficiently in your lifestyle."

No, "we" cannot agree on finding a "micro" that works best. Macro nutrient balance is about satiety and compliance which comes secondary to calorie consumption in the hierarchy of weight loss protocol. They are important factors -- very important factors, but they come down to individual preference. Calorie deficit is needed for everyone to lose weight and is universal. How does that make it secondary?

I *think* that the post was about nutrition being of primary importance to long-term health, which is different from what is important (energy balance) for weight loss. For long-term health, you'd be better off being a bit overweight, eating a varied diet to ensure adequate nutrient consumption than eating your TDEE in Skittles for perfect energy balance.

Ah, thank you. So, to answer what was actually addressed, I can't agree that being overweight is better for health in any way.

My example was about being overweight (I didn't say morbidly obese) and eating a balanced, varied diet long term, compared to being a normal weight and eating nothing but Skittles long term. It was an extreme example, just to try to highlight what I thought the intention of that post was. And yes, it is my opinion that the person who eats a varied diet with a BMI that indicates "overweight" will live longer than the person who only eats Skittles. Long term.
    Let me see if I can find that recent study that shattered the so-called "obesity paradox" myth...

If you think that my intention was that it was the "overweight" part that was healthy, you totally missed my point. "Obese and healthy" is a myth. However, the obesity paradox is not a myth to shatter. It is a viewpoint that elderly and chronically ill may sometimes benefit from having extra weight when they experience unintentional extreme weight loss as a result of their illness. Being overweight has been associated with lower mortality rates in some cases. [/b]

nytimes.com/2013/01/02/health/study-suggests-lower-death-risk-for-the-overweight.html

"But a new report suggests that Miss Scheel may have been onto something. The report on nearly three million people found that those whose B.M.I. ranked them as overweight had less risk of dying than people of normal weight. And while obese people had a greater mortality risk over all, those at the lowest obesity level (B.M.I. of 30 to 34.9) were not more likely to die than normal-weight people."

Gale, that is from 2013. A new meta analysis, controlling for confounders like smoking, has found that not to be the case.

Conclusion Overweight and obesity is associated with increased risk of all cause mortality and the nadir of the curve was observed at BMI 23-24 among never smokers, 22-23 among healthy never smokers, and 20-22 with longer durations of follow-up. The increased risk of mortality observed in underweight people could at least partly be caused by residual confounding from prediagnostic disease. Lack of exclusion of ever smokers, people with prevalent and preclinical disease, and early follow-up could bias the results towards a more U shaped association.

And I buy into this.

Physically and mentally healthy people with a full choice of foods to eat typically are not under weight or obese so I agree there often may be underlying health issues impacting death rates besides body weight.

You seem to be saying that obese people have an increased risk of mortality (within a certain number of years) because they have an underlying condition that is also causing the obesity, and not because it is a risk factor in and of itself. Also, you seem to be saying that healthy people can't become obese, that obesity must be caused by an underlying physical or mental illness* -- is that right?

*I suspect you are defining any tendency to overeat as a mental illness which is, well, interesting.

Well, wait a moment. Obesity/weight gain is a symptom for several diseases as well as a side effect of many medications...same thing as being under weight.

The best thing I ever learned in business school was that correlation does not equal causation.
    Why do think over eating of carbs increases one risk of developing cancer but over eating of fats does not increase the risk of developing cancer then?

Carbs cause cancer?

There was nothing in my post about carbs causing cancer so I do not understand your question.

You said overeating of carbs increases the risk of cancer. I was specifically asking about that. It's in the part I quoted. I've never heard that before and was asking to have some additional information.

@jprewitt1 this info came from Dr. Thompson of Sloan Kettering a few years ago. We do not know the causes of cancer but somehow over eating carbs increases the risks of cancer when over eating fats do not per this doctor. Protein does not get a free ride but Fats do.

Jump to 25:00 to the video if pressed for time for his quote. Below is a print article discussing this video.

https://dawnwaldron.com/2014/01/15/overeating-carbohydrates-dramatically-increases-cancer-risk/

Here's why.

Extra weight itself is a risk factor for many types of cancer. What this particular doctor is saying makes no sense in light of that. I don't think that weight related cancers care what macro you over indulged in, Gale.

This one is personal for me, I'm at risk for one of these cancers if I don't control my weight.

I understand preventing a premature death is not of interest to some people but I would not have found MFP and its value had I not been interested in trying to prevent my premature death and of two other family members. Best of success.

So anyone that doesn't adopt LCHF is not interested in preventing premature death? That's quite a leap there, Gale.

I think you know that is not true. It is the over eating of CARBS that is known to increase the risks of cancer. Overeating FATS do not increase the risk of cancer so if one is going to overeat at the buffet they can just make sure it is on fats is my take from Dr. Thompson's presentation. LCHF is just one WOE.

Not over eating CARBS and PROTEINS is one way to help prevent a premature death from can cancer per the doctor.

So if I overeat to the point of obesity, I am safe as long as I only overeat fat and not carbs?

The doctor did not address that I remember. After over eating carbs 40 years and not being able to over eat fat as long as I keep my carbs <50 grams a day with none from sugar or grains I have not been able to regain my obese state after trying for three months. I would appreciate if you would give it a go and see if you can and report back.

I am not saying it is not possible just because I could not become obese overeating fats and very low carbs at the same time. Now over eating carbs and fats at the same time becoming obese would be a cake walk in my case.

So when you say over eat, you do not mean over eat to the point of overweight then. So it's being overweight that puts you at risk, not carbs, fats or proteins. You just happen to have found your solution of losing weight and improving health markers...

He states it is over eating of carbs and protein to a lesser extent that increases the risks of cancer in humans as I understood it. Over eating of fats carries not increase in cancer is what I heard him say.

The doctor was only addressing over eating of carbs and proteins as to increasing cancer risks. He did not say eating carbs and protein increased cancer risk. He said over eating of fats did not increase cancer risks.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

You must be new here. ;)

Nah, I'm an old poster who's come back. I'm just a fan of pointing out the obvious.
  • J72FIT
    Options

And I buy into this.

Carbs cause cancer?

Here's why.

The doctor was only addressing over eating of carbs and proteins as to increasing cancer risks. He did not say eating carbs and protein increased cancer risk. He said over eating of fats did not increase cancer risks.

Ok, I'll ask it this way. What do you consider overeating?
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Good reading. I"ve done some intermittent fasting this year and have found some benefits also. Not sure if i'm beating a dead horse but there is some really good reading on diabetes and fasting by a Canadian doctor...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

And I buy into this.

Carbs cause cancer?

Here's why.

And I buy into this.

Carbs cause cancer?

Here's why.

How to you track your intake to assess the fact that you're overeating fats?

What is your TDEE?

What is your calorie intake?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

So controlling weight means controlling cancer risk.

Thank you.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

And I buy into this.

Carbs cause cancer?

Here's why.

In a way as to become obese over time like I did before I learned a macro that I could stay stuffed full all of the time and yet maintain at 200 works for me with no carb cravings. What do you consider overeating?
  • J72FIT
    Options

And I buy into this.

Carbs cause cancer?

Here's why.

In a way as to become obese over time like I did before I learned a macro that I could stay stuffed full all of the time and yet maintain at 200 works for me with no carb cravings. What do you consider overeating?

Ok I was right, you did ignore my comment. If one does not gain weight/fat they are not overeating, regardless of their macro split. So, it is being overweight that causes the risk, not the macro in and of itself...
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    For those who don't rate IF and generally feel cico is the only thing that matters, what are your thoughts on pre workout/post workout meals?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »
    For those who don't rate IF and generally feel cico is the only thing that matters, what are your thoughts on pre workout/post workout meals?

It's all personal preference.
  • J72FIT
    Options
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Mr_Ryder wrote: »

It's minutia.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    And you guys are against IF because it doesn't work or it's not your personal preference?
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Looks like the woman that started this thread is using a different name or is no longer on the site......way to go....