INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Options

Replies

• rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Your body burns fat whether you're fasting or not and you have to be in a calorie deficit to burn fat.

You're half right. You do not have to fast to burn fat, but you don't have to be in calorie deficit, either. It's a standard part of the human body's energy system. Of course, if you're not in calorie deficit you will store more than you burn, but that's beside the point!

Regarding IF, I tried the 5/2 version. It got me started on weight loss, it was easy and didn't involve unrealistic changes to my actual diet. I liked it. I don't know whether it helped anything else, as I didn't have any blood work done at any point. It's certainly sustainable, although I can't imagine myself fasting 2 days/week long term. There's a lot of pseudo-science, on both sides of the mostly silly, petty arguments that have blown up around the idea.

For me, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If someone loses weight in a way that doesn't jeopardise their health, it's very silly to tell them, "You're doing it wrong!" If there is patchy evidence that they are experiencing additional health benefits, let's ask for more research, rather than just assume that if there isn't conclusive proof right now, it must be bunkum. This is a new area of research, and evidence takes time to accumulate.

As for paleo and all its variants, I am not convinced that modern healthy eating is best served by guessing what hunter-gatherers would have eaten. You can't test your theories on people who are long dead. The argument should be, "Eat this way because evidence suggests it's better for you." NOT "Eat this way because hunter-gatherers would have eaten this way".
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    tigerblue wrote: »
    I am no scientist. And generally speaking, I believe weight loss or gain is determined by calories an and calories out.

But I have used IF, or a version of it, off and on for about five months. Here are my observations:

First, there are a lot of things I like about a 16:8 eating schedule. Especially, I find it easier to eat at a deficit when practicing this type of IF. I find that it fits my hunger patterns well, since I am not terribly hungry in the morning , but I have a very hungry time around 3 pm. If I move my breakfast to 3 pm, and then don't eat my 3 pm usual snack, I have already helped keep my deficit.

I have tried both keeping a very strict fast (only water and black coffee) and being more flexible and allowing half and half (30-60 calories) to my coffee.

I cannot explain this with CICO, but I only experience weight loss if I do the strict fast with absolutely nothing but clear liquids. Even if I keep my total daily calories and activity mostly the same (of course we are not in a lab here, and I may be more active one day, and more lazy the next, but my workout schedule is pretty consistent).

So I have to conclude that there might be something hormonal or metabolic going on here other than CICO.

And I have long been a supporter of CICO!!! But the results here make me wonder. Because CICO is not explaining what is happening with my body.

Maybe there is more to all this than we think, and more than the scientists know. After all, 15 years ago scientists were telling me that without a doubt, eating fat would kill me. Now the story is very different.

So I'm waiting to see what the science will tell us in a few years.

Hormones can cause slight, but not significantly large changes, in the CO portion. However, one thing hormones can do is increase or decrease water retention and those difference can be very large. Unfortunately, weight is just too gross of a measure to really figure out what is happening.

As for 15 years ago scientist telling you eating fat would kill you is not correct. Maybe the media told you that or a well-meaning doctor (or most likely a guru with no real background) but science has never said this.

Maybe I should say "science" (in quotes!). Because it seems like the medical/nutrition community takes research and then makes statements that are only partly based on that research! I take it all with a grain of salt (but how large a grain??--because the "science" conclusion on sodium is still up in the air!)

Scientists are making new discoveries every day. Perhaps one day something will further explain the role of hormones, and specifically insulin, in weight loss and nutrition (and thus also further explain what is behind IF).

My point is just that true science continues to emerge with new discoveries every day, and scientists (and doctors) don't know all.

And also, that the human body is unique, dynamic and changing, and that makes conclusions that apply to every situation every time difficult. It seems there is always an exception. Perhaps that is because of some biological drive for preservation of the species that makes our systems elastic.

Just philosophizing. And thinking outside the box.

I imagine one of the issues could be logging as well, but I haven't seen any research that shows any advantage for any timing, including IF, but individuals may notice some difference that may not be a result of what they think they are. These things could include: water fluxuations, less ability to absorb calories when eaten in a large meal, and logging differences (i.e. since you eat more food at one time you might be better at logging and not forgetting).

However, as long as it works for you then stick with it.

Yes, the one thing I can't replicate in real life is to do "strict IF" and watch the results and then a more flexible approach, and compare. Because I can never get EVERYTHING ELSE to be exactly the same. So maybe what looks like a connection is a coincidence.

But I do want to keep an open mind to all possibilities.

On another subject (but related because it also says that insulin is the reason we can't lose) is the sugar buster's approach, which supposedly uses glycemic index to control insulin response. It worked very well for me. But I think it was more from the fact that I naturally ate fewer (a lot fewer) calories when I followed it because it is a generally healthy, no junk food approach. But there are people who would argue it was insulin. Who knows. Maybe that played in as well.

I should go back to eating that way for sure, because it is more healthy than just counting calories. But I love the treats. And the wine. . . . .

Ah well.

Any way you go it is a sacrifice somewhere!

Kevin hall has several studies that back up that insulin does not have to be reduced in order to lose fat (pending you dont have IR because that altera the variable a little). In an isocaloric, isoprotein comaprison, weight loss was pretty much the same after 30 days. This doesnt even take into consideration huge amounts of anecdotal evidence demonstrated by many of us who eat higher levels of carbs with no issue.

Weight loss is fairly simple. Eat less than you burn and you lose weight; this has been shown in every metabolic ward study (EE is measured and they take a reduction from that baseline). What is difficult for many is several factors; a sustainable dietary strategy to achieve a prolonged deficit, a dietary preference to address satiety, modifying calories to find where a deficit actually is, and most importantly... consistency. These variables can be difficult for people to work out and is the reason why losing weight and particularly maintaining that weight loss is hard. I barely lost any weight with 16:8 or paleo because i kept over eating. Both diets where just not suited for me.. why? I just dont do well with restriction... i do well with 3 large meals.

Kevin Hall, Kevin Hall, Kevin Hall, that's exactly the problem. Settled science is never the result of the work of a single individual.

The WHO says so too.

"There was convincing evidence that energy balance is critical to maintaining healthy body weight and ensuring optimal nutrient intakes, regardless of macronutrient distribution expressed in energy percentage (%E)."

As does any researcher who is not trying to sell you their "This is why you ACTUALLY get fat" *kitten*. Because this has been settled for a loooooong time.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I am no scientist. And generally speaking, I believe weight loss or gain is determined by calories an and calories out.

But I have used IF, or a version of it, off and on for about five months. Here are my observations:

First, there are a lot of things I like about a 16:8 eating schedule. Especially, I find it easier to eat at a deficit when practicing this type of IF. I find that it fits my hunger patterns well, since I am not terribly hungry in the morning , but I have a very hungry time around 3 pm. If I move my breakfast to 3 pm, and then don't eat my 3 pm usual snack, I have already helped keep my deficit.

I have tried both keeping a very strict fast (only water and black coffee) and being more flexible and allowing half and half (30-60 calories) to my coffee.

I cannot explain this with CICO, but I only experience weight loss if I do the strict fast with absolutely nothing but clear liquids. Even if I keep my total daily calories and activity mostly the same (of course we are not in a lab here, and I may be more active one day, and more lazy the next, but my workout schedule is pretty consistent).

So I have to conclude that there might be something hormonal or metabolic going on here other than CICO.

And I have long been a supporter of CICO!!! But the results here make me wonder. Because CICO is not explaining what is happening with my body.

Maybe there is more to all this than we think, and more than the scientists know. After all, 15 years ago scientists were telling me that without a doubt, eating fat would kill me. Now the story is very different.

Hormones can cause slight, but not significantly large changes, in the CO portion. However, one thing hormones can do is increase or decrease water retention and those difference can be very large. Unfortunately, weight is just too gross of a measure to really figure out what is happening.

As for 15 years ago scientist telling you eating fat would kill you is not correct. Maybe the media told you that or a well-meaning doctor (or most likely a guru with no real background) but science has never said this.

Maybe I should say "science" (in quotes!). Because it seems like the medical/nutrition community takes research and then makes statements that are only partly based on that research! I take it all with a grain of salt (but how large a grain??--because the "science" conclusion on sodium is still up in the air!)

Scientists are making new discoveries every day. Perhaps one day something will further explain the role of hormones, and specifically insulin, in weight loss and nutrition (and thus also further explain what is behind IF).

My point is just that true science continues to emerge with new discoveries every day, and scientists (and doctors) don't know all.

And also, that the human body is unique, dynamic and changing, and that makes conclusions that apply to every situation every time difficult. It seems there is always an exception. Perhaps that is because of some biological drive for preservation of the species that makes our systems elastic.

I imagine one of the issues could be logging as well, but I haven't seen any research that shows any advantage for any timing, including IF, but individuals may notice some difference that may not be a result of what they think they are. These things could include: water fluxuations, less ability to absorb calories when eaten in a large meal, and logging differences (i.e. since you eat more food at one time you might be better at logging and not forgetting).

Yes, the one thing I can't replicate in real life is to do "strict IF" and watch the results and then a more flexible approach, and compare. Because I can never get EVERYTHING ELSE to be exactly the same. So maybe what looks like a connection is a coincidence.

On another subject (but related because it also says that insulin is the reason we can't lose) is the sugar buster's approach, which supposedly uses glycemic index to control insulin response. It worked very well for me. But I think it was more from the fact that I naturally ate fewer (a lot fewer) calories when I followed it because it is a generally healthy, no junk food approach. But there are people who would argue it was insulin. Who knows. Maybe that played in as well.

I should go back to eating that way for sure, because it is more healthy than just counting calories. But I love the treats. And the wine. . . . .

Ah well.

Kevin hall has several studies that back up that insulin does not have to be reduced in order to lose fat (pending you dont have IR because that altera the variable a little). In an isocaloric, isoprotein comaprison, weight loss was pretty much the same after 30 days. This doesnt even take into consideration huge amounts of anecdotal evidence demonstrated by many of us who eat higher levels of carbs with no issue.

Weight loss is fairly simple. Eat less than you burn and you lose weight; this has been shown in every metabolic ward study (EE is measured and they take a reduction from that baseline). What is difficult for many is several factors; a sustainable dietary strategy to achieve a prolonged deficit, a dietary preference to address satiety, modifying calories to find where a deficit actually is, and most importantly... consistency. These variables can be difficult for people to work out and is the reason why losing weight and particularly maintaining that weight loss is hard. I barely lost any weight with 16:8 or paleo because i kept over eating. Both diets where just not suited for me.. why? I just dont do well with restriction... i do well with 3 large meals.

Ah well.

And I enjoy having two larger more satisfying meals and a snack rather than three small meals and a snack, which leaves me feeling constantly hungry. But then my tdee is pretty low, unless I run a good bit. And I am Trying to cut back on running to have more time to lift.

What of the research on menopause that indicates that some women's bodies become more insulin resistant at perimenopause?

Regardless, there are new scientific discoveries all the time, and scientists have to recant from time to time. So who knows what they will discover about nutrition and weight and fitness!

We know that people will lose weight no matter what method they use as long as they achieve a caloric deficit. This has been known for centuries, even before we knew much about nutrition it was obvious that less food meant less fat on you and more food meant more fat on you. That observation has never changed, nor will it, because we know what the basic causes weight loss and weight gain are. Every diet works as long as you follow it and, unfortunately, every diet fails when you stop adhering to it, which is why the vast majority of people regain their initial weight, or more, within 2 years of acheiving their lowest weight on a diet.

My view is, that in light of this failure rate, the important thing is to find what you can adhere to for a sustain period of time. So, forgetting the details, find what you feel can work for your lifetime and stick with it. You don't have to worry about how it works unless you are so inclined to investigate the biological underpinnings.

I think the science that will evolve will be more along the lines of figuring out better ways to allow us to overcome our desire to eat for pleasure, emotionally, or other non-hunger related reasons. Also, ways to block absorbtion of nutrients when we overeat. This means drugs, not dietary methods, for treating obesity that will allow people to lose weight and keep it off when they are unable to acheive this through normal diet and exercise methods.

I guess it is kind of like saying every car will wreck if you take your hands off of the steering wheel long enough when running down the road at 55 MPH. :)

Everyone knows if one's net CICO is positive that one should gain weight. Everyone knows if one's net CICO is negative that one should lose weight.

IF is just one way to help some of us develop a net negative CICO. It is not white nor black magic. Clearly some are commenting about IF but have never done IF themselves. That would be like me saying I understand the stress of a woman living in a male dominated world and clearly never having been a female. I can make comments all day every day on that subject but it is not from personal experience.

It is OK to discuss IF without personally experiencing IF but one is without credibility to tell another person who has experienced good weight control using IF that it does not work for that person.

As one with an earned terminal degree in a healthcare field and an undergrad degrees in both science and religion I can tell you there is less difference between the two than many think there is. 90% of "science" today will be proven wrong in the next 100 years I expect. Gravity is settled science I would say. Global warming/global cooling science is not settled science yet for example. The cause of cancer is far from settled science or it would have been cured years ago.

We are still clueless about the best way for mankind to best eat. :)

Ahh, yes the great "you haven't been there so you don't know" non sequitir as if someone doesn't stick their head in a cement mixer they can't possible know they won't enjoy the experience. I have done IF, didn't like it but I don't have anything against it. . Not sure what 90% we will prove wrong or what proven wrong means in this case nor what listing your degree in optometry and religion have to do with anything other than trying to set up an argument to authority.

Now let's also understand this, there is no debate that the world has warmed over the past 50 years, only the causes and predicted consequences are up for debate but the climate data is not. No data support meal timing in any form as a significant contributor to weight loss, and since science evolves on observation of the data and refining theories to fit that data then it's very unlikely that this will change. Also, understanding the cause of a disease does not automatically confere the ability to cure it or Type 2 Diabetes would be a thing of the past as well. You should already know this from your study of the eye as you understand the cause of old eye (the cells don't regenerate) but you aren't curing it with glasses.

AS |Dr Katz, a bonna fide nutritional researcher and medical doctor, has said, we basically know how to feed the human being and the only people that are confused about it are the gurus who are selling you something and those who are buying it. :smile:

speaking about Katz and bona fide:
    http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2016/09/12/yale-doctors-column-raises-questions-again/

I love how Big Y supermarket responded.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

Ah well.

Ah well.

And I enjoy having two larger more satisfying meals and a snack rather than three small meals and a snack, which leaves me feeling constantly hungry. But then my tdee is pretty low, unless I run a good bit. And I am Trying to cut back on running to have more time to lift.

What of the research on menopause that indicates that some women's bodies become more insulin resistant at perimenopause?

Regardless, there are new scientific discoveries all the time, and scientists have to recant from time to time. So who knows what they will discover about nutrition and weight and fitness!

We know that people will lose weight no matter what method they use as long as they achieve a caloric deficit. This has been known for centuries, even before we knew much about nutrition it was obvious that less food meant less fat on you and more food meant more fat on you. That observation has never changed, nor will it, because we know what the basic causes weight loss and weight gain are. Every diet works as long as you follow it and, unfortunately, every diet fails when you stop adhering to it, which is why the vast majority of people regain their initial weight, or more, within 2 years of acheiving their lowest weight on a diet.

My view is, that in light of this failure rate, the important thing is to find what you can adhere to for a sustain period of time. So, forgetting the details, find what you feel can work for your lifetime and stick with it. You don't have to worry about how it works unless you are so inclined to investigate the biological underpinnings.

I think the science that will evolve will be more along the lines of figuring out better ways to allow us to overcome our desire to eat for pleasure, emotionally, or other non-hunger related reasons. Also, ways to block absorbtion of nutrients when we overeat. This means drugs, not dietary methods, for treating obesity that will allow people to lose weight and keep it off when they are unable to acheive this through normal diet and exercise methods.

I guess it is kind of like saying every car will wreck if you take your hands off of the steering wheel long enough when running down the road at 55 MPH. :)

Everyone knows if one's net CICO is positive that one should gain weight. Everyone knows if one's net CICO is negative that one should lose weight.

IF is just one way to help some of us develop a net negative CICO. It is not white nor black magic. Clearly some are commenting about IF but have never done IF themselves. That would be like me saying I understand the stress of a woman living in a male dominated world and clearly never having been a female. I can make comments all day every day on that subject but it is not from personal experience.

It is OK to discuss IF without personally experiencing IF but one is without credibility to tell another person who has experienced good weight control using IF that it does not work for that person.

As one with an earned terminal degree in a healthcare field and an undergrad degrees in both science and religion I can tell you there is less difference between the two than many think there is. 90% of "science" today will be proven wrong in the next 100 years I expect. Gravity is settled science I would say. Global warming/global cooling science is not settled science yet for example. The cause of cancer is far from settled science or it would have been cured years ago.

Ahh, yes the great "you haven't been there so you don't know" non sequitir as if someone doesn't stick their head in a cement mixer they can't possible know they won't enjoy the experience. I have done IF, didn't like it but I don't have anything against it. . Not sure what 90% we will prove wrong or what proven wrong means in this case nor what listing your degree in optometry and religion have to do with anything other than trying to set up an argument to authority.

Now let's also understand this, there is no debate that the world has warmed over the past 50 years, only the causes and predicted consequences are up for debate but the climate data is not. No data support meal timing in any form as a significant contributor to weight loss, and since science evolves on observation of the data and refining theories to fit that data then it's very unlikely that this will change. Also, understanding the cause of a disease does not automatically confere the ability to cure it or Type 2 Diabetes would be a thing of the past as well. You should already know this from your study of the eye as you understand the cause of old eye (the cells don't regenerate) but you aren't curing it with glasses.

AS |Dr Katz, a bonna fide nutritional researcher and medical doctor, has said, we basically know how to feed the human being and the only people that are confused about it are the gurus who are selling you something and those who are buying it. :smile:

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2016/09/12/yale-doctors-column-raises-questions-again/

It was a Huffington Post Article, A whole 10 people must have read it! :lol:

• DebSozo
    Options

Ah well.

Ah well.

I found the content to be quite interesting. I don't know a lot about this researcher or whether he did write his own review or disparage Big Y. But I like how Big Y responded.
  • DebSozo
    Options

Ah well.

Ah well.

This is from a "Yale Daily News" article.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Ah well.

Ah well.

The article that they responded to was in the HP. Yale Daily is just a student rag.
  • DebSozo
    Options

Ah well.

Ah well.

The article that they responded to was in the HP. Yale Daily is just a student rag.

But Katz is the one writing in and reviewing on HP.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Whatever the reasons Katz went on that rant, Big Y took the high ground.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited September 2016
    Options

Ah well.

Ah well.

But Katz is the one writing in and reviewing on HP.

Correct, the Yale Daily was just reporting the aftermath of the article in the HP by Dr. Katz. I was just joking about the lack of readership in the HP.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I'm a fan of IF. It works for me. Results are what I'm going for. It decreases my daily calorie consumption.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't see anyone here saying IF doesn't work for some (by making calorie consumption lower or easier to keep lower). Just that it doesn't work for everyone or by some different manner than other forms of calorie restriction. I also don't see anyone saying anything bad about IF in general (vs. maybe as something for them).
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was saying earlier in this thread.
    Scientific beliefs are always changing, and we probably haven't even scratched the surface as far as the complexities of the human body and weight loss and nutrition.
    I like a person that thinks outside the box tigerblue. Question everything. It keeps life interesting.

Science does not have beliefs, that's for religion, science has evidence, facts, conclusions, challenges and progression based on those. Is the human body complex? Very, but I'll take science over gurus and testimonials every time.

Then we agree on something. I never said I don't believe in science, and I'm not sure what I posted to make so many people think that I said that.
    Science is..,,well it's science. I get that.

But new discoveries are made all the time.
    Scientists make careers out of disproving other scientists' conclusions.

My point in this whole thread is to be open to trying new things and thinking outside the box, when you're having trouble with complying to calorie restriction.

You only have to be in these forums for a short amount of time to know that while CICO is the answer to weight loss, people still have trouble complying.

While I'm an intermittent faster, if you've read through this thread, I never said that I know or believe if IF has any other weight loss benefit other than helping with deficit compliance.

Just another tool in the toolbox for weight loss IMO.

And yes, people should question everything, it's why we've evolved as human beings.