Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Bring back your metabolism to normal:
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/reverse-diet/

Interesting article. Since I eat LCHF that by default typically increases BMR I have never done it but have seen it mentioned on some body building sites when researching LCHF.

How does Keto increase BMR? Do you have any references? This is something I'm not familiar with (and honestly curious in) since BMR is normally tightly regulated by several processes including mitochondrial efficiencies and T3.

@Wheelhouse15 off the top of my head I do not remember how LCHF/Keto has been proven to cause some increase in BMR. Since 90+ of cancer per some researchers is due to poor mitochondrial efficiencies I have been working to increase both the number and efficiencies of my mitochondrial so I expect KETO/LCHF does improve one's mitochondrial health that helps improve one's BMR. I did find the below that hints that may be the case in a passing comment.

telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/high-fat-cheese-the-secret-to-a-healthy-life/

"Bertram found that those who ate cheese had higher levels of butyric acid, a compound which has been been linked to reduced obesity and higher metabolism. The higher butyrate levels were linked to a reduction in cholesterol."

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4027835/

"The pathogenesis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), the most commonly diagnosed functional gastrointestinal condition, is complex, and its precise mechanisms are still unclear. This article describes the potential benefits of butyric acid in IBS."

I always wondered why after 40 years of very serious IBS after the first 6 months of LCHF/Keto that that my IBS seemed to be cured and 18 months later has not returned so far. Butyric Acid may be the key to why LCHF/Keto/IF can lead to fat loss as well as other positive side effects.

Thanks, I'll look into those references. So butyrate acid is the key? Interesting.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Butyric acid (from Greek βούτῡρον, meaning "butter"... love that!

What's not to love about butter!

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Interesting article. Since I eat LCHF that by default typically increases BMR I have never done it but have seen it mentioned on some body building sites when researching LCHF.

How does Keto increase BMR? Do you have any references? This is something I'm not familiar with (and honestly curious in) since BMR is normally tightly regulated by several processes including mitochondrial efficiencies and T3.

@Wheelhouse15 off the top of my head I do not remember how LCHF/Keto has been proven to cause some increase in BMR. Since 90+ of cancer per some researchers is due to poor mitochondrial efficiencies I have been working to increase both the number and efficiencies of my mitochondrial so I expect KETO/LCHF does improve one's mitochondrial health that helps improve one's BMR. I did find the below that hints that may be the case in a passing comment.

telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/high-fat-cheese-the-secret-to-a-healthy-life/

"Bertram found that those who ate cheese had higher levels of butyric acid, a compound which has been been linked to reduced obesity and higher metabolism. The higher butyrate levels were linked to a reduction in cholesterol."

"The pathogenesis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), the most commonly diagnosed functional gastrointestinal condition, is complex, and its precise mechanisms are still unclear. This article describes the potential benefits of butyric acid in IBS."

I always wondered why after 40 years of very serious IBS after the first 6 months of LCHF/Keto that that my IBS seemed to be cured and 18 months later has not returned so far. Butyric Acid may be the key to why LCHF/Keto/IF can lead to fat loss as well as other positive side effects.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't increased mitochondrial efficiency actually lead to the exact opposite? Decreased BMR?

yes. yes it does.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't increased mitochondrial efficiency actually lead to the exact opposite? Decreased BMR?

Actually, this is one of the noted changes in Adaptive Thermogenesis so I would assume that it would lower BMR since any increase in efficiency in an energy system will tend to reduce the energy requirements.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I don't know why but IF doesn't have a massive effect on my appetite all day long. When I eat first thing in the morning, I am starving all day long...so there is a little magic for me. I don't know why but it does add up to a sum greater than its parts for me.

@ogtmama I think IF like Keto or LCHF we have to become fat adapted before IF may work. Getting into ketosis the first time took me a couple weeks I think. IF as I see it just LCHF. We are low carb because we are not eating and we are high fat because we're burning body fat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I don't know why but IF doesn't have a massive effect on my appetite all day long. When I eat first thing in the morning, I am starving all day long...so there is a little magic for me. I don't know why but it does add up to a sum greater than its parts for me.

@ogtmama I think IF like Keto or LCHF we have to become fat adapted before IF may work. Getting into ketosis the first time took me a couple weeks I think. IF as I see it just LCHF. We are low carb because we are not eating and we are high fat because we're burning body fat.

But not all IF goes for fat adaptation so what happens to those who are doing a higher carb variation? You won't normally run out of Glycogen on a 16:8 unless you are highly active but then you'll just replenish during your eating window. Also, what do you consider fat adaptation. My understanding is that most Keto dieters talk about fat/keto adaptation as being after they lose the fog and fatigue symptoms but from a biological standpoint it actually happens within a few days. I don't see IF being able to consider themselves fat adapted unless they are eating a ketogenic diet on the IF.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Your body burns fat whether you're fasting or not and you have to be in a calorie deficit to burn fat.

You're half right. You do not have to fast to burn fat, but you don't have to be in calorie deficit, either. It's a standard part of the human body's energy system. Of course, if you're not in calorie deficit you will store more than you burn, but that's beside the point!

Regarding IF, I tried the 5/2 version. It got me started on weight loss, it was easy and didn't involve unrealistic changes to my actual diet. I liked it. I don't know whether it helped anything else, as I didn't have any blood work done at any point. It's certainly sustainable, although I can't imagine myself fasting 2 days/week long term. There's a lot of pseudo-science, on both sides of the mostly silly, petty arguments that have blown up around the idea.

For me, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If someone loses weight in a way that doesn't jeopardise their health, it's very silly to tell them, "You're doing it wrong!" If there is patchy evidence that they are experiencing additional health benefits, let's ask for more research, rather than just assume that if there isn't conclusive proof right now, it must be bunkum. This is a new area of research, and evidence takes time to accumulate.

As for paleo and all its variants, I am not convinced that modern healthy eating is best served by guessing what hunter-gatherers would have eaten. You can't test your theories on people who are long dead. The argument should be, "Eat this way because evidence suggests it's better for you." NOT "Eat this way because hunter-gatherers would have eaten this way".

Are you saying that we can burn fat during maintenance or even surplus? Can you please explain this a little more? My understanding is that one has to eat less calories than their body needs to maintain its current weight in order for fat loss to occur. How is it possible to lose weight during maintenance and surplus? Are you referring to body recomp?

He is correct, the part after what you have in bold explained it but was a little cryptic. Essentially, you are always burning fat for energy but you are also storing it as well. The difference between fat lose and fat gain depends on the balance of energy between what you take in and what you burn off.

That makes a little more sense, yes. Thank you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

IF need not be LCHF at all. I've considered doing 5:2 or even 16:8 (I used to eat that way for periods of time and never found it difficult), and read about it, and LCHF wasn't an element.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

IF need not be LCHF at all. I've considered doing 5:2 or even 16:8 (I used to eat that way for periods of time and never found it difficult), and read about it, and LCHF wasn't an element.

Oh, I missed that one. No, IF'ing isn't necessarily low carbing by any means. Certainly not the way I do it. I'm 16:8 and my diet is 50% carbs.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options

But not all IF goes for fat adaptation so what happens to those who are doing a higher carb variation? You won't normally run out of Glycogen on a 16:8 unless you are highly active but then you'll just replenish during your eating window. Also, what do you consider fat adaptation. My understanding is that most Keto dieters talk about fat/keto adaptation as being after they lose the fog and fatigue symptoms but from a biological standpoint it actually happens within a few days. I don't see IF being able to consider themselves fat adapted unless they are eating a ketogenic diet on the IF.

The way I understand it, you can be fat-adapted without being in ketosis if you follow a lower carb (but not ketogenic-low), adequate protein diet. If you can get yourself fat-adapted, it makes IF much easier.

When I went lower carb, I could easily go all day without food and not have any hypoglycemic feelings, even with exercise. IF was a breeze. I felt so clear-headed and energetic. I fell out of it after a recent illness and I'm having a hard time getting back into the groove of lower carb (and IF) due to carb cravings.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

That would be the same as saying increasing muscle mass lowers BMR would it not?

weightlossforall.com/metabolism-raise-mitochondria.htm

"In order to lose weight quickly, it is important to raise the metabolism in order to burn more calories. Fit people tend to have a raised metabolism for two reasons, a higher level of lean mass and a greater number of mitochondria within the cells. If one has difficulty in raising the amount of lean mass it may be important to work on raising the metabolism by increasing the number of mitochondria."

coachcalorie.com/increase-mitochondrial-density/

"Without delving too deep into cellular biology, just understand that mitochondria are essential to our energy metabolism, and because of this, they play a very important role in fatty acid oxidation (fat loss). For fat loss to occur, fatty acids must be mobilized from fat stores and sent to mitochondria to be oxidized so that they can be used for energy."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low carb at all, but have never had an issue fasting. I do it from time to time for religious reasons (full day fast).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

That would be the same as saying increasing muscle mass lowers BMR would it not?

"In order to lose weight quickly, it is important to raise the metabolism in order to burn more calories. Fit people tend to have a raised metabolism for two reasons, a higher level of lean mass and a greater number of mitochondria within the cells. If one has difficulty in raising the amount of lean mass it may be important to work on raising the metabolism by increasing the number of mitochondria."

"Without delving too deep into cellular biology, just understand that mitochondria are essential to our energy metabolism, and because of this, they play a very important role in fatty acid oxidation (fat loss). For fat loss to occur, fatty acids must be mobilized from fat stores and sent to mitochondria to be oxidized so that they can be used for energy."

So what you mean is increase mitochondrial activity vice efficiency, that makes more sense now.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

So what you mean is increase mitochondrial activity vice efficiency, that makes more sense now.

Yep, via cheese!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

The way I understand it, you can be fat-adapted without being in ketosis if you follow a lower carb (but not ketogenic-low), adequate protein diet. If you can get yourself fat-adapted, it makes IF much easier.

When I went lower carb, I could easily go all day without food and not have any hypoglycemic feelings, even with exercise. IF was a breeze. I felt so clear-headed and energetic. I fell out of it after a recent illness and I'm having a hard time getting back into the groove of lower carb (and IF) due to carb cravings.

Being fat adapted would be possible with a low carb or keto variation but when I did IF I was still higher carb (45-50%) so I don't believe I was fat adapted, except while sleeping when we normally go into mild ketosis naturally.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Yep, via cheese!

And butter? :grin:

• Wheelhouse15
    edited September 2016
    Options

I was wrong. IF is only ZERO carb if you will think about it. :)

IF and Keto are functionally the same. You are withholding carb intake in IF and greatly reducing carbs to do keto.

The major way to make fat the fastest is carbs. The best way to lose fat is the inverse.

Technically the fastest way to make fat is to eat High Carb and High Fat at the same time. Processed food can work well to fatten up on for this reason. A Big Mac comes to mind especially chased down with sugar water.

Considering that fat enters the blood stream directly as fat and carbs need to go through DNLG I don't believe you are correct here. Carbs take a long time to become fat unless you are already full on glycogen, which means you would be highly over nourished. Now if you are talking about a systemic overview where you reduce fat oxidation while Insulin levels are raised due to a recent feeding on carbs then I can see that being a sort of backdoor way of saying this but technically it would not be correct.

The fastest way to lose fat is well know, be in a large caloric deficit.

Yeah, fast food is a great ball of energy that most people don't need.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I don't eat low carb at all, but have never had an issue fasting. I do it from time to time for religious reasons (full day fast).

That is because you went ZERO carb for the day. Carbs are the driver of most all cravings. Hungry is real so we do not die but cravings are not so much. :)