Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Bring back your metabolism to normal:
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/reverse-diet/

That article is ridiculous. It is basically saying nothing.

Read it critically. Then read it again. It is basically saying to gradually increase your calories and weight lift so that you eat your TDEE at maintenance. Not some magic TDEE, but an appropriate one for your weight. Oh, and that people who've been dieting a long time tend to move less (have less NEAT and have less TEF because they're eating less food and have lower BMR's because they weigh less. DUH.)

I think Dr Layne Norton explains it better in his vlog on YouTube. I don't have the link but you can search for it there. He goes over the thermal gap, caused by adaptive thermogenesis, and how a slow backing out of the diet can help reduce the risk of rapid weight regain. As for me, I did just that when I stopped my weight loss and it worked quite well IME. You basically treat the last part of your diet as a transition back to normal eating and let your hormones etc rebalance. There are some physiological changes that occur that cause a decrease in BMR of up to about 5% on a long term weight loss diet but they will gradually go back to normal and reverse dieting is a method for reducing the thermal gap gradually.

Is reverse dieting necessary? No, but it certainly doesn't hurt to do it and if the theory is correct then it will help those who are moving into the maintenance phase.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Is it animal cruelty to beat the horse if it's been dead for a while now?

Legally, no. [ex-RSPCA prosecutor]
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Is it animal cruelty to beat the horse if it's been dead for a while now?

Only if you beat the horse to death in the first place. If it died of boredom, or committed suicide, I don't think they can get you on anything.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Read it critically. Then read it again. It is basically saying to gradually increase your calories and weight lift so that you eat your TDEE at maintenance. Not some magic TDEE, but an appropriate one for your weight. Oh, and that people who've been dieting a long time tend to move less (have less NEAT and have less TEF because they're eating less food and have lower BMR's because they weigh less. DUH.)

I think Dr Layne Norton explains it better in his vlog on YouTube. I don't have the link but you can search for it there. He goes over the thermal gap, caused by adaptive thermogenesis, and how a slow backing out of the diet can help reduce the risk of rapid weight regain. As for me, I did just that when I stopped my weight loss and it worked quite well IME. You basically treat the last part of your diet as a transition back to normal eating and let your hormones etc rebalance. There are some physiological changes that occur that cause a decrease in BMR of up to about 5% on a long term weight loss diet but they will gradually go back to normal and reverse dieting is a method for reducing the thermal gap gradually.

Is reverse dieting necessary? No, but it certainly doesn't hurt to do it and if the theory is correct then it will help those who are moving into the maintenance phase.

I do understand Layne Norton's take on gradually upping calories to back into maintenance and agree with it wholeheartedly.

I disagree with how a lot of people on this forum throw around the concept of reverse dieting, though.

They seem to believe it will perform some magic juju and enable you to eat more at maintenance than you would have otherwise.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I do understand Layne Norton's take on gradually upping calories to back into maintenance and agree with it wholeheartedly.

I disagree with how a lot of people on this forum throw around the concept of reverse dieting, though.

They seem to believe it will perform some magic juju and enable you to eat more at maintenance than you would have otherwise.

Agreed, reverse dieting as in "eat more to weigh less" isn't really something I believe in either except for helping people who are hitting the wall and in danger of going into VLCD, then a reverse diet for a specific purpose is often a good idea.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Interesting article. Since I eat LCHF that by default typically increases BMR I have never done it but have seen it mentioned on some body building sites when researching LCHF.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited September 2016
    Options

Interesting article. Since I eat LCHF that by default typically increases BMR I have never done it but have seen it mentioned on some body building sites when researching LCHF.

How does Keto increase BMR? Do you have any references? This is something I'm not familiar with (and honestly curious in) since BMR is normally tightly regulated by several processes including mitochondrial efficiencies and T3.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

How does Keto increase BMR? Do you have any references? This is something I'm not familiar with (and honestly curious in) since BMR is normally tightly regulated by several processes including mitochondrial efficiencies and T3.

It doesn't. In fact it makes one thing that helps increase BMR harder to achieve, muscle building.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

It doesn't. In fact it makes one thing that helps increase BMR harder to achieve, muscle building.

I certainly know that it's rare to see Keto in body building and powerlifting because of the low protein intake required to keep in Ketosis. There are quite a few low carb lifters but they tend towards a much higher protein intake than average.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

There are short term increases in metabolism when switching to Keto, due the increase metabolic requirement needed to produce ketones. But that quickly diminishes over the first 20ish days. Outside of that, I haven't seen any long term studies that would suggest any increase in TDEE.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

There are short term increases in metabolism when switching to Keto, due the increase metabolic requirement needed to produce ketones. But that quickly diminishes over the first 20ish days. Outside of that, I haven't seen any long term studies that would suggest any increase in TDEE.

That does make sense, might also explain part of the Keto flu symptoms.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Hmmm... Does metabolism slow down (below "normal") when switching off of keto, then? If not, I wonder if it might be an idea (which reminds me a little of RFL/PSMF) to go keto for a month every 6 months or so. Get a little spike in metabolism, go back to "normal" dieting/diet-break for a while, repeat. Just thinking/wondering out loud. Or, online, if you will.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Does that get folded into BMR, or is that more considered thermogenic effect of food?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Hmmm... Does metabolism slow down (below "normal") when switching off of keto, then? If not, I wonder if it might be an idea (which reminds me a little of RFL/PSMF) to go keto for a month every 6 months or so. Get a little spike in metabolism, go back to "normal" dieting/diet-break for a while, repeat. Just thinking/wondering out loud. Or, online, if you will.

From the Kevin Hall study, and the post I saw from Dr. Attia, it did not appear that metabolism slowed after but return pretty much to baseline. It should also be noted that fat loss did not occur during this period.

More details: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/37452901#Comment_37452901
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    IF is a fantastic tool in the toolbox for getting into and maintaining a calorie deficit. Nothing more, nothing less. When I cut, that's the tool I typically go for because it makes eating less a little easier for me.
    There is no magic...
  • acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started 16/8 IF by the recommendation of my doctor to lower my triglycerides. I lost 35 pounds and my triglycerides went from 485 to 67 in 5 months without medicine. My doctor said she's never seen something so drastic and credits the IF.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@Wheelhouse15 off the top of my head I do not remember how LCHF/Keto has been proven to cause some increase in BMR. Since 90+ of cancer per some researchers is due to poor mitochondrial efficiencies I have been working to increase both the number and efficiencies of my mitochondrial so I expect KETO/LCHF does improve one's mitochondrial health that helps improve one's BMR. I did find the below that hints that may be the case in a passing comment.

telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/high-fat-cheese-the-secret-to-a-healthy-life/

"Bertram found that those who ate cheese had higher levels of butyric acid, a compound which has been been linked to reduced obesity and higher metabolism. The higher butyrate levels were linked to a reduction in cholesterol."

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4027835/

"The pathogenesis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), the most commonly diagnosed functional gastrointestinal condition, is complex, and its precise mechanisms are still unclear. This article describes the potential benefits of butyric acid in IBS."

I always wondered why after 40 years of very serious IBS after the first 6 months of LCHF/Keto that that my IBS seemed to be cured and 18 months later has not returned so far. Butyric Acid may be the key to why LCHF/Keto/IF can lead to fat loss as well as other positive side effects.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but IF doesn't have a massive effect on my appetite all day long. When I eat first thing in the morning, I am starving all day long...so there is a little magic for me. I don't know why but it does add up to a sum greater than its parts for me.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Butyric acid (from Greek βούτῡρον, meaning "butter"... love that!