If I cut out bread will that help loosing weight?

Options

Replies

• mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options

I personally am doing a low sugar and low sodium path...health reasons. I'm not sure you have on your diary a section for tracking sodium, seems that it's not on younger people diaries...but as I'm over a certain age, it tracks how much sodium I intake. Breads, even the whole grain ones, have more sodium than the average person realizes. Then if you drinking lots of liquids on top of the sodium what do you think happens? Bloating.

Don't get me wrong I eat bread, one slice a day (60 calories). For it's size it still has a lot of sodium. Check your foods that you are eat and watch your sodium intake. Read up on it. Low sugar is a fascinating topic too. Naturally occuring sugar in food (fruits) is good. Fruit juice minus its fiber, not so good. Refined and added sugars goes into your system as glucose, which your body needs, just not a lot of it. Excess glucose causes the liver to store it as fat, first in the liver (ever hear of non-alcoholic fatty liver?), then it stores excess elsewhere, like your belly. Like I said fascinating. In the past 5 days my belly has shrunk, and I've lost weight. Mostly water, but that is how glucose is transported, through water. Less glucose, less water. When there is no excess glucose, your body start burning fat to get the glucose. Do your own research. People say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as it's less calories than you burn, but your body is amazingly picky on which calories it burns first.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I personally am doing a low sugar and low sodium path...health reasons. I'm not sure you have on your diary a section for tracking sodium, seems that it's not on younger people diaries...but as I'm over a certain age, it tracks how much sodium I intake. Breads, even the whole grain ones, have more sodium than the average person realizes. Then if you drinking lots of liquids on top of the sodium what do you think happens? Bloating.

Don't get me wrong I eat bread, one slice a day (60 calories). For it's size it still has a lot of sodium. Check your foods that you are eat and watch your sodium intake. Read up on it. Low sugar is a fascinating topic too. Naturally occuring sugar in food (fruits) is good. Fruit juice minus its fiber, not so good. Refined and added sugars goes into your system as glucose, which your body needs, just not a lot of it. Excess glucose causes the liver to store it as fat, first in the liver (ever hear of non-alcoholic fatty liver?), then it stores excess elsewhere, like your belly. Like I said fascinating. In the past 5 days my belly has shrunk, and I've lost weight. Mostly water, but that is how glucose is transported, through water. Less glucose, less water. When there is no excess glucose, your body start burning fat to get the glucose. Do your own research. People say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as it's less calories than you burn, but your body is amazingly picky on which calories it burns first.

Actually, if you consume sodium and then drink a lot of water (or other liquids without much sodium), the sodium leaves your cells and gets flushed out.

Also, glucose is naturally occurring. It's in fruits and veggies, just like fructose. Glucose won't make you fat, and it won't make your body store or burn fat any faster, as long as you're in a calorie deficit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    molllyann wrote: »
    If I try cutting out bread will that help me loose weight and not be bloated anymore? I'm having a hard time loosing weight. I'm trying to incorporate more meat and chicken. I'm trying to loose a pound a week. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Simply eat fewer calories than you are burning.

Personally, I actually added bread to my diet. I rarely ate it before I started with MFP, but when I started here I began to crave it. So I started eating a slice or two a day. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    molllyann wrote: »
    If I try cutting out bread will that help me loose weight and not be bloated anymore? I'm having a hard time loosing weight. I'm trying to incorporate more meat and chicken. I'm trying to loose a pound a week. Any suggestions? Thanks!

You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit, not by cutting certain foods out. Weight loss is all about eating less calories than you burn, not food type.

How much do you have to lose? What are your stats?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I'm going to be the one to tell you that a calorie is not always a calorie. I have cut down on carbs in general and have lost 23 pounds with out changing my calories at all. So I am saying yes, as long as you do not replace those carbs with other carbs but rather with healthy fats and protein you will see positive results on the scale.

I am curious as to why you think a calorie is not a calorie when it comes to weight loss. You have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, so if you've lost weight you are in a calorie deficit. You have to decrease calories somewhere, and some people do choose to cut out certain foods or to simply cut back. Also, cutting carbs leads to water loss not fat loss.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I'm going to be the one to tell you that a calorie is not always a calorie. I have cut down on carbs in general and have lost 23 pounds with out changing my calories at all. So I am saying yes, as long as you do not replace those carbs with other carbs but rather with healthy fats and protein you will see positive results on the scale.

Because no one has ever lost weight eating carbohydrates? Look, I'm happy that that worked for you but telling someone to not substitute carbs for other carbs because it won't work is only something you can say about yourself, you can't just apply that to other people. Perhaps doing that didn't work for you, that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Don't even try that junk with me. I did NOT say anything along the lines of what you are trying to put in my mouth. Carbs ARE stored as fat when we eat more than we burn. FACT. Whether you like it or not.

Well, any food is stored as fat when we eat more than we burn.
  • Kelbelb75
    Kelbelb75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It only helped by cutting down my calories (and I was eating 4 slices of toast at breakfast, just for starters!!). I miss bread..... :(
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Because no one has ever lost weight eating carbohydrates? Look, I'm happy that that worked for you but telling someone to not substitute carbs for other carbs because it won't work is only something you can say about yourself, you can't just apply that to other people. Perhaps doing that didn't work for you, that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Don't even try that junk with me. I did NOT say anything along the lines of what you are trying to put in my mouth. Carbs ARE stored as fat when we eat more than we burn. FACT. Whether you like it or not.

Not true either.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/protein-will-not-make-you-fat
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I tend to focus on foods that are high in
    nutrition, ie high in vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals. to help my body work at it's optimum.
    fiber
    water

And not too high in fat.

the thing with bread , per weight there isn't a whole lot of water in it, and it's not low in fat.
    so means it has a lot of calories, per weight.
    Bread is only 35 % water.
    74 calories per ounce

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/4872/2

Compare that to something that some of us think are sinful : avocados :)
    While avocados aren't low in fat, but there's alot of water in them!!
    Avocados are 72% water
    47 calories per ounce.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1844/2

for me, i much rather eat avocado, with roughly 2/3 the calories of bread, per weight.

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I'm losing weight and I eat bread - killer Dave 60 cal bread. Bloating is an issue for some folks with bread.

Ive heard this before. Out of curiosity why do people care about bloating? Its not fat, its just water retention...has no bearing on your health or fitness. So why do people care? They really want a particular number on their scale or its an aesthetic thing?

Uncomfortable, painful, you look like you are 7 months pregnant in a matter of hours. Your wardrobe needs clothes in larger sizes just to have something to wear.

• JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I chose to cut bread out of my diet completely, bread was my guilty pleasure I couldn't control myself with it. Every time I had a sandwich I couldn't have 2 slices I'd have 6 :(
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Not true either.

Correct, protein will not make you fat, but a surplus of calories certainly will. ;) If the bulk of your calories are protein and you eat at an overall surplus you will gain weight.

You have posted opinion articles, which are not reliable sources because opinions are a dime a dozen. I would like to see some peer reviewed studies to back up your claims.

Those articles include links to or data from actual studies.

Also, while you might gain weight from eating a surplus of protein or carbs, you will NOT gain fat.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Only if it causes you to be in a calorie deficit. No food, apart from its caloric content, has any property that can cause you to gain or lose weight
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Not true either.

Correct, protein will not make you fat, but a surplus of calories certainly will. ;) If the bulk of your calories are protein and you eat at an overall surplus you will gain weight.

You have posted opinion articles, which are not reliable sources because opinions are a dime a dozen. I would like to see some peer reviewed studies to back up your claims.

Yes.. to all of this..

@hereforthelolz Nice try though.. I also will be interested in the peer reviewed studies..
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You could solely eat bread and lose weight if you wanted to...............

Weight loss is caused by a caloric deficit.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Last post on this thread. I have a busy day ahead of me. If "a calorie is a calorie" was in any way true NO ONE here would be tracking macros. IT MATTERS where those calories come from. So to all the people who are talking out of both sides of their mouths on this you need to stop and really think. Calories (as has been stated by someone further up I do not remember who) are not a nutrient or component of food such as carbohydrates, fat or protein. They are not a "thing". They are the energy required to burn up that food. What is IN the food that requires burning matters. Your insulin levels matter, and carbohydrates DO affect your insulin directly. Too many carbs (as anything else) are not going to help you. No one said a person could NOT lose weight by consuming bread or carbohydrate, and I NEVER said that what applies to me absolutely applies to every other human being in the whole wide world. Because it may not apply to every other human being in the whole wide world does not exclude me from the freedom to post my thoughts. I gave my take on the issue posted here by the original poster. The same as everyone else. I am sure the original poster does not need 700 posts of people quoting and battling one another. The info being sought gets lost in the argument and in no way does it benefit those who wish to have an answer to the question they are asking. Anyone else who has something to say in any effort to twist my words or to put words into my mouth is welcome to PM. I am no longer following this thread and any comments will go unseen by me. Have a nice day!