If I cut out bread will that help loosing weight?

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm not interested enough in this topic to pull up studies supporting my view, but here it is anyway. As I recall, especially in the early days after Atkins was introduced, there were studies suggesting that you could lose more on a low carb diet with the same amount of calories as someone who was not low carb. I assume that the current view that it is only calories that matter is the correct one, and that I could pull up studies disputing the earlier studies. I make this point in defence of @ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken. Meaning if scientists and published studies made this "mistake", it's a very easy one to make.

Aside from the obvious difference of glycogen and associated water (meaning low carbers maintain low glycogen levels so even a year or two out they would typically be retaining less water), I read once an idea that made sense to me, that the extra effort your body requires to adjust to low carb burns more calories, giving the low carb diet a slight advantage. But mostly, I think it's about satiety, and that when you are too hungry it's normal to cheat. IOW, I suspect the early differences were more about the ability to adhere to the diet. Improving adherence is still a big deal.

Having said all that in defence of low carbers, I'm not one. I prefer to lose slowly and sustainably and include a decent amount of carbs (up to 50%). If I thought that losing quickly were important, (for instance, if my health were in jeopardy), I think I'd try lower carb.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm not interested enough in this topic to pull up studies supporting my view, but here it is anyway. As I recall, especially in the early days after Atkins was introduced, there were studies suggesting that you could lose more on a low carb diet with the same amount of calories as someone who was not low carb. I assume that the current view that it is only calories that matter is the correct one, and that I could pull up studies disputing the earlier studies. I make this point in defence of @ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken. Meaning if scientists and published studies made this "mistake", it's a very easy one to make.

Aside from the obvious difference of glycogen and associated water (meaning low carbers maintain low glycogen levels so even a year or two out they would typically be retaining less water), I read once an idea that made sense to me, that the extra effort your body requires to adjust to low carb burns more calories, giving the low carb diet a slight advantage. But mostly, I think it's about satiety, and that when you are too hungry it's normal to cheat. IOW, I suspect the early differences were more about the ability to adhere to the diet. Improving adherence is still a big deal.

Having said all that in defence of low carbers, I'm not one. I prefer to lose slowly and sustainably and include a decent amount of carbs (up to 50%). If I thought that losing quickly were important, (for instance, if my health were in jeopardy), I think I'd try lower carb.

Oh you can definitely lose more weight on a low carb diet. Multiple pounds of water that is stored together with your muscle and liver glycogen that you're depleting by going low carb that is.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I'm going to be the one to tell you that a calorie is not always a calorie. I have cut down on carbs in general and have lost 23 pounds with out changing my calories at all. So I am saying yes, as long as you do not replace those carbs with other carbs but rather with healthy fats and protein you will see positive results on the scale.
    A calorie is simply a measurement of a chemical reaction within your body - fats, carbs and proteins all have a calorific value to them as a base minimum and then are generally surrounded by other content factors.
    Chicken might be majorly protein, however the substance coating the chicken will likely be carbohydrate based (BBQ glaze, etc - chicken skin mainly consists of fats).

A calorie can never be anything other than a calorie because it isn't a nutrient, it's a way to measure the body's ability to displace energy.

Excess energy that isn't used as ATP and released is stored by the body as added bodyfat.

No mater how you choose to attain a calorie deficit, it will still be a calorie deficit regardless consistency of protein, fats or carbs.

Body composition is an entirely different beast but calories are relatively simple when you see them as what they are.

I think a calorie is a calorie but I also think it is fair to say that different people have different satiation dependent on what they eat and for some losing weight will become much easier if they substitute carbs for proteins and fats because they will feel much greater satiation on such a diet relative to their previous diet.

That doesn't mean that 100 calories of bread isn't the same amount of energy as 100 calories of chicken, just that for some people 100 calories of chicken will be much more satisfying and will allow for a caloric deficit that is comfortable rather than hunger-inducing.

I think really the answer is to experiment within your calorie limit that you have determined from your TDEE and the amount you want to lose and find out what types of foods satisfy you within that limit while still giving you your basic nutritional needs. Sometimes substituting more protein for refined carbs works well for that.

OP what Aaron said here was what I was going to say. Experiment!

For instance, I tried high carb a couple years ago, and it didn't work well for me because I was hungry and miserable and craved more carbs. Next I tried low glycemic (high fiber plus high protein) which worked better for satiation. After that I tried keto this past summer but personally found that to be too restrictive. Now I've settled on low carb but still eat a fair amount of raw and cooked veggies and add some starchy veggies serving at dinner time. Some others here on MFP love carbs and still lose weight successfully or they love keto and lose successfully. It is all about finding the foods that make you feel satisfied so you don't go off plan.

The other thing that messed me up is I went too low cal for way too long a couple years ago. You might be happier with slightly more calories, expecting slower loss over time. But some others love to lose quickly which is fine for them. All of this to say that you are an individual. Experiment with your calories and macros to see how your body is most comfortable for the long term!

Edited typo
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I love protein and easily gain weight with excess protein! I have had to cut back on protein food calories so I can lose weight.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Me, I love bread, but I did cut it out for a while to cut calories. I usually make lunch by rolling turkey breast around cheese and dipping in dijon mustard or I'll mix half a can of tuna with 1/2 serving of mayo and salt and eat it with a fork. It tastes good so I don't miss the bread once I get past the initial "thinking about making lunch feeling like I really want a traditional sandwich" phase haha. Good luck.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I love protein and easily gain weight with excess protein! I have had to cut back on protein food calories so I can lose weight.

You can easily gain weight with excess anything. CICO.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Not me, I'm textbook. The more protein I eat the fewer calories I want to eat. From what I've read more people are like me in this regard than are not (70% rings a bell but once again I'm not motivated to confirm).

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I tend to focus on foods that are high in
    nutrition, ie high in vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals. to help my body work at it's optimum.
    fiber
    water

And not too high in fat.

the thing with bread , per weight there isn't a whole lot of water in it, and it's not low in fat.
    so means it has a lot of calories, per weight.
    Bread is only 35 % water.
    74 calories per ounce

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/4872/2

Compare that to something that some of us think are sinful : avocados :)
    While avocados aren't low in fat, but there's alot of water in them!!
    Avocados are 72% water
    47 calories per ounce.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1844/2

for me, i much rather eat avocado, with roughly 2/3 the calories of bread, per weight.

Personally, I love avocado on bread - avocado toast - approx 200 cal breakfast. Not sure I understand the problem.
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016
    Options

Not me, I'm textbook. The more protein I eat the fewer calories I want to eat. From what I've read more people are like me in this regard than are not (70% rings a bell but once again I'm not motivated to confirm).

But if I eat 12 oz steak I will have more calories than a 6 oz petite steak. I used to eat way too many protein calories. Now I cut back on protein and carbs a bit and have increased fat. I feel very full and don't crave extra protein or carbs. But I realize I may be an exception.
    :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I'm going to be the one to tell you that a calorie is not always a calorie. I have cut down on carbs in general and have lost 23 pounds with out changing my calories at all. So I am saying yes, as long as you do not replace those carbs with other carbs but rather with healthy fats and protein you will see positive results on the scale.

Because no one has ever lost weight eating carbohydrates? Look, I'm happy that that worked for you but telling someone to not substitute carbs for other carbs because it won't work is only something you can say about yourself, you can't just apply that to other people. Perhaps doing that didn't work for you, that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Don't even try that junk with me. I did NOT say anything along the lines of what you are trying to put in my mouth. Carbs ARE stored as fat when we eat more than we burn. FACT. Whether you like it or not.

Well, any food is stored as fat when we eat more than we burn.

Not true either.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/protein-will-not-make-you-fat

Correct, protein will not make you fat, but a surplus of calories certainly will. ;) If the bulk of your calories are protein and you eat at an overall surplus you will gain weight.

You have posted opinion articles, which are not reliable sources because opinions are a dime a dozen. I would like to see some peer reviewed studies to back up your claims.
    Those articles include links to or data from actual studies.

Also, while you might gain weight from eating a surplus of protein or carbs, you will NOT gain fat.

In the link you posted for me, there are no links to studies, just references to other articles.

Nah, it's the surplus of calories overall that causes weight and fat gain, because your body does not distinguish between macros and process them differently when it comes to weight management.

Protein is important to building muscle in conjunction with weight lifting, but just because a person eats a diet high in protein does not mean they are going to be a mean-lean-protein-machine. If that were true, people who chose higher protein diets who eat too much would not be fat and would not have to do the hard work of muscle building. ;)

• DebSozo
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I tend to focus on foods that are high in
    nutrition, ie high in vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals. to help my body work at it's optimum.
    fiber
    water

And not too high in fat.

the thing with bread , per weight there isn't a whole lot of water in it, and it's not low in fat.
    so means it has a lot of calories, per weight.
    Bread is only 35 % water.
    74 calories per ounce

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/4872/2

Compare that to something that some of us think are sinful : avocados :)
    While avocados aren't low in fat, but there's alot of water in them!!
    Avocados are 72% water
    47 calories per ounce.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1844/2

for me, i much rather eat avocado, with roughly 2/3 the calories of bread, per weight.

Personally, I love avocado on bread - avocado toast - approx 200 cal breakfast. Not sure I understand the problem.

Yum! Avocado. <3
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Last post on this thread. I have a busy day ahead of me. If "a calorie is a calorie" was in any way true NO ONE here would be tracking macros. IT MATTERS where those calories come from. So to all the people who are talking out of both sides of their mouths on this you need to stop and really think. Calories (as has been stated by someone further up I do not remember who) are not a nutrient or component of food such as carbohydrates, fat or protein. They are not a "thing". They are the energy required to burn up that food. What is IN the food that requires burning matters. Your insulin levels matter, and carbohydrates DO affect your insulin directly. Too many carbs (as anything else) are not going to help you. No one said a person could NOT lose weight by consuming bread or carbohydrate, and I NEVER said that what applies to me absolutely applies to every other human being in the whole wide world. Because it may not apply to every other human being in the whole wide world does not exclude me from the freedom to post my thoughts. I gave my take on the issue posted here by the original poster. The same as everyone else. I am sure the original poster does not need 700 posts of people quoting and battling one another. The info being sought gets lost in the argument and in no way does it benefit those who wish to have an answer to the question they are asking. Anyone else who has something to say in any effort to twist my words or to put words into my mouth is welcome to PM. I am no longer following this thread and any comments will go unseen by me. Have a nice day!

I realize that you have decided to bow out of this conversation, so this is for anyone else here--especially newcomers. ;)

There is a confusion of nutrition with weight loss. Macros are important as to overall nutrition, but you can have a 75% diet in carbs and still lose weight if you eat in a calorie deficit. I've at higher/lower protein, higher/lower fat, and higher/lower carbs, depending on my personal woo barometer of the week, and the results were the same:

If I ate at a surplus, I gained weight.
    If I ate at a deficit, I lost weight.
    If I ate just about right, I maintained my weight.

Your body does not cancel out calories from certain foods and use more from other foods.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Oh you can definitely lose more weight on a low carb diet. Multiple pounds of water that is stored together with your muscle and liver glycogen that you're depleting by going low carb that is.

This.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

This is it. I think some people are confusing the nutritional value of foods with caloric value.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Of course you have to cut back on calories somewhere, but it's the excess of food in general that causes weight gain not the actual macro.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

This is it. I think some people are confusing the nutritional value of foods with caloric value.

I'm not arguing any of that. I'm agreeing.
  • DebSozo
    Options

Of course you have to cut back on calories somewhere, but it's the excess of food in general that causes weight gain not the actual macro.

I know that.