If I cut out bread will that help loosing weight?

Options

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I'm going to be the one to tell you that a calorie is not always a calorie. I have cut down on carbs in general and have lost 23 pounds with out changing my calories at all. So I am saying yes, as long as you do not replace those carbs with other carbs but rather with healthy fats and protein you will see positive results on the scale.
    A calorie is simply a measurement of a chemical reaction within your body - fats, carbs and proteins all have a calorific value to them as a base minimum and then are generally surrounded by other content factors.
    Chicken might be majorly protein, however the substance coating the chicken will likely be carbohydrate based (BBQ glaze, etc - chicken skin mainly consists of fats).

A calorie can never be anything other than a calorie because it isn't a nutrient, it's a way to measure the body's ability to displace energy.

Excess energy that isn't used as ATP and released is stored by the body as added bodyfat.

No mater how you choose to attain a calorie deficit, it will still be a calorie deficit regardless consistency of protein, fats or carbs.

Body composition is an entirely different beast but calories are relatively simple when you see them as what they are.

This is not in any way related to what I said at all. I said I did NOT change my calories. I continued with the same intake that I had previously when I was NOT losing weight. The only thing I changed was carbs, and obviously that made a difference in my protein and fat intake. But calories did not change.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I'm going to be the one to tell you that a calorie is not always a calorie. I have cut down on carbs in general and have lost 23 pounds with out changing my calories at all. So I am saying yes, as long as you do not replace those carbs with other carbs but rather with healthy fats and protein you will see positive results on the scale.
    A calorie is simply a measurement of a chemical reaction within your body - fats, carbs and proteins all have a calorific value to them as a base minimum and then are generally surrounded by other content factors.
    Chicken might be majorly protein, however the substance coating the chicken will likely be carbohydrate based (BBQ glaze, etc - chicken skin mainly consists of fats).

A calorie can never be anything other than a calorie because it isn't a nutrient, it's a way to measure the body's ability to displace energy.

Excess energy that isn't used as ATP and released is stored by the body as added bodyfat.

No mater how you choose to attain a calorie deficit, it will still be a calorie deficit regardless consistency of protein, fats or carbs.

Body composition is an entirely different beast but calories are relatively simple when you see them as what they are.

I think a calorie is a calorie but I also think it is fair to say that different people have different satiation dependent on what they eat and for some losing weight will become much easier if they substitute carbs for proteins and fats because they will feel much greater satiation on such a diet relative to their previous diet.

That doesn't mean that 100 calories of bread isn't the same amount of energy as 100 calories of chicken, just that for some people 100 calories of chicken will be much more satisfying and will allow for a caloric deficit that is comfortable rather than hunger-inducing.

I think really the answer is to experiment within your calorie limit that you have determined from your TDEE and the amount you want to lose and find out what types of foods satisfy you within that limit while still giving you your basic nutritional needs. Sometimes substituting more protein for refined carbs works well for that.

I certainly agree that satiety is a big factor, I've not for a second disputed that.
    Certainly fat is much better for satiety than carbohydrate, it's the nature of the nutrient - your body will pick the carbohydrate to use as its first energy source and the fat as the last.

There are so many factors that come into play here but a calorie will always be a calorie and should somebody eat 100 calories or bread or 100 calories of chicken - the body will store no more or less bodyfat with one than the other.

All nutrients are as important as the last for differing reasons.

My explanation simply covers the indisputable fact that a calorie IS just a calorie.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I'm losing weight and I eat bread - killer Dave 60 cal bread. Bloating is an issue for some folks with bread.

Ive heard this before. Out of curiosity why do people care about bloating? Its not fat, its just water retention...has no bearing on your health or fitness. So why do people care? They really want a particular number on their scale or its an aesthetic thing?

its uncomfortable

Ah, fair enough. Guess i've never experienced that myself. I mean I've felt overly full if I eat a lot of salt and retain a lot of water as a result...not sure if that is the same feeling or not.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    hi, I switched from bread to plain quacker rice cakes& find them easier to digest and no bloating.I enjoy them.Just an option
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

This is not in any way related to what I said at all. I said I did NOT change my calories. I continued with the same intake that I had previously when I was NOT losing weight. The only thing I changed was carbs, and obviously that made a difference in my protein and fat intake. But calories did not change.

Out of curiosity were you calorie counting when you were not losing weight and for how long did you maintain that diet while calorie counting and not losing weight before you made the change?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Because no one has ever lost weight eating carbohydrates? Look, I'm happy that that worked for you but telling someone to not substitute carbs for other carbs because it won't work is only something you can say about yourself, you can't just apply that to other people. Perhaps doing that didn't work for you, that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Don't even try that junk with me. I did NOT say anything along the lines of what you are trying to put in my mouth. Carbs ARE stored as fat when we eat more than we burn. FACT. Whether you like it or not.

No. Excess calories (carbs, fat and protein) are stored as fat when we're in a calorie surplus, not just carbs.
    Neither are stored when we eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I think a calorie is a calorie but I also think it is fair to say that different people have different satiation dependent on what they eat and for some losing weight will become much easier if they substitute carbs for proteins and fats because they will feel much greater satiation on such a diet relative to their previous diet.

That doesn't mean that 100 calories of bread isn't the same amount of energy as 100 calories of chicken, just that for some people 100 calories of chicken will be much more satisfying and will allow for a caloric deficit that is comfortable rather than hunger-inducing.

I think really the answer is to experiment within your calorie limit that you have determined from your TDEE and the amount you want to lose and find out what types of foods satisfy you within that limit while still giving you your basic nutritional needs. Sometimes substituting more protein for refined carbs works well for that.

I certainly agree that satiety is a big factor, I've not for a second disputed that.
    Certainly fat is much better for satiety than carbohydrate, it's the nature of the nutrient - your body will pick the carbohydrate to use as its first energy source and the fat as the last.

There are so many factors that come into play here but a calorie will always be a calorie and should somebody eat 100 calories or bread or 100 calories of chicken - the body will store no more or less bodyfat with one than the other.

All nutrients are as important as the last for differing reasons.

My explanation simply covers the indisputable fact that a calorie IS just a calorie.

Yeah wasn't disagreeing with your post, just elaborating a bit...I agree with you.

I think people who insist that a calorie is just a calorie and you could lose weight eating nothing but twinkies all day (I know you didn't say that) are TECHNICALLY correct but practically its a silly thing to say.

Those who say a calorie is not always a calorie are usually people who found for themselves that it took avoiding certain types of foods or macros to get a handle on their deficit and be successful and baulk at the idea that a calorie is always a calorie because they envision it is somehow the person suggesting they should eat twinkies all day and its fine.

Honestly its in between right. Yes a calorie is just a calorie technically, but practically for weight loss it is important to determine what works for you in terms of satiety while tracking your calories to make sure you are establishing a deficit.
    Options
    A LOT of people choosing to misunderstand my comment as well as put words into my mouth. I don't do these petty back and forth with word semantics, straw men, and general argumentative exchanges. Anyone who likes that sort of thing can take it over to the debate and arguments section of the forum. Otherwise don't expect any entertainment from me. Many people completely understand what I said as I stated it and many do not. Either way I am going to bed and will not lose a wink of sleep over any of it. :)
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Out of curiosity were you calorie counting when you were not losing weight and for how long did you maintain that diet while calorie counting and not losing weight before you made the change?

Yes I was calorie counting when I was actually sometimes gaining. I was at 187 lbs and rising slowly. This went on for the better part of the last 6 years. I was frustrated and decided to keep up with everything from fat to sodium. I reduced my carbohydrate intake from around 400 (sometimes more) to 200 and started seeing a slow weight loss. Still doing between 1450-1500 calories, but I have changed what those calories come from. I could get into some long discussion as to all the ways all those carbs were affecting me in my day to day but I will spare you the speech. I know people who may not have the same experience would have a difficult time understanding this or even believing it. I spent such a very long time hearing and believing that "a calorie is a calorie, it's not what you eat but how much". This never rang true for me in any way. For what ever the reason.

With that, It's time for bed. Good night.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Because no one has ever lost weight eating carbohydrates? Look, I'm happy that that worked for you but telling someone to not substitute carbs for other carbs because it won't work is only something you can say about yourself, you can't just apply that to other people. Perhaps doing that didn't work for you, that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Don't even try that junk with me. I did NOT say anything along the lines of what you are trying to put in my mouth. Carbs ARE stored as fat when we eat more than we burn. FACT. Whether you like it or not.

Any excess calories over your maintenance will be stored as fat. Doesn't matter where the calories come from.

Calorie surplus = weight gain.
  • N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Fat is stored if you overeat from any of the macros. If you overeat protein, if you overeat fat, if you overeat carbs...doesn't matter the macro, it matters that you are overeating. Carbs are not somehow unique in that regard. Now it is quite possible that for you personally you struggled with satiation eating carbohydrates and found it much easier to establish a consistant deficit if you avoided carbs in which case sure, stick with that. But your assumption that what works for you works for everyone is just wrong. For some people avoiding carbs is going to make their diet and weightloss harder, not easier, because some people find carbs satisfying.

U're so technical...i mean, there is no need to over think all this... just eat everything except watch the portions and exercise like cardio...and just lose weight, meet people and move on...
    Options

Yes I was calorie counting when I was actually sometimes gaining. I was at 187 lbs and rising slowly. This went on for the better part of the last 6 years. I was frustrated and decided to keep up with everything from fat to sodium. I reduced my carbohydrate intake from around 400 (sometimes more) to 200 and started seeing a slow weight loss. Still doing between 1450-1500 calories, but I have changed what those calories come from. I could get into some long discussion as to all the ways all those carbs were affecting me in my day to day but I will spare you the speech. I know people who may not have the same experience would have a difficult time understanding this or even believing it. I spent such a very long time hearing and believing that "a calorie is a calorie, it's not what you eat but how much". This never rang true for me in any way. For what ever the reason.

Also, the "calorie is a calorie" idea is blown out of the water when "staying within your macros" is also being tossed around. Obviously this macros have some important part to play this or we wouldn't need to stay within them. They matter. So what ever those calories are made from must fit within certain parameters. Just sayin.

With that, It's time for bed. Good night.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    OP, if you decide you can live without bread, and don't eat back the calories you give up by eliminating bread, you will lose weight. I don't know if it will help bloating, but some people have less indigestion and particularly less heartburn with a lower carb diet - of course, this doesn't apply to everyone.

Main thing is find a food plan you like that creates a calorie deficit. Best of luck to you!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    molllyann wrote: »
    If I try cutting out bread will that help me loose weight and not be bloated anymore? I'm having a hard time loosing weight. I'm trying to incorporate more meat and chicken. I'm trying to loose a pound a week. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cutting out bread in and of itself will not help you lose weight. You must eat fewer calories than you use to lose weight. I went to open faced sandwiches with only one slice of bread to save calories but never had a problem with bloating from carbs. You may be different. I found that coffee and coffee creamers caused me more bloating than carbs. After all, coffee is a bean.
  • The_Original_Beauty
    Options
    Nope.