Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweetener - Good or Bad?

Do you see sweetener as good or bad? Would/Wouldn't you use it? And why?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    It's a good thing that people have choices and alternatives but sweeteners themselves are neither good or bad.
    When I was growing up the only readily available sweetener was saccharin and it tasted revolting.

There's times I want or need sugar and its calories, there's times I don't. There's drinks or foods that taste better with sugar and some that taste better (to me) with sweetener. Diet coke and coke as an example, sugary coke is far too sweet for my taste buds. A spoonful of sugar in my porridge on the other hand is divine.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Neutral but I like the fact it doesn't have many calories.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I personally like Stevia blends. It's more natural, and doesn't (to me anyway) have as much of an aftertaste.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited September 2016
    I use stevia or monkfruit when they're available, else Splenda. I like monkfruit better than stevia, myself, but it tends to be more expensive. Wanted to get that in before the deluge of "artificial sweeteners are eeevvviiilll" posts. :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    When I want something sweet without the calories, I'll use an artificial sweetener.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I feel that matters of nutrition, health, fitness, etc are hardly ever that black and white...as with most things in life...

I'm always a little surprised that so many people have such a black and white spectrum of things and miss out on this whole gray/nuanced area which is where most truth's are found.
  • bshrom
    bshrom Posts: 71 Member
    I use stevia cane sugar blend which is 5 calories per 1/2 tsp so 10 calories in my morning coffee.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    At the moment, I'm living on sugar free cough drops (allergy-related laryngitis and a killer sore throat). A sweetener means I'm not eating a thousand or so cals of sugar per day while I'm taking them, so on the one hand I see it as a good thing.

On the other hand, I discovered the sweetener in the ones I'm taking (isomalt) causes intestinal issues for me. Which I view as bad.

So, sweeteners in general, good. Specific sweeteners may be bad for me.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    I believe in using whatever makes the most sense for my day and particular food. My substitute order is Stevia, Splenda, then whatever else is on the table.

Some foods need real sugar but I am finding them fewer and farther between. For a syrupy substitute I have started to use Vitafiber.

Use what works for you and fits your needs and worry less about others.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    I personally like Stevia blends. It's more natural, and doesn't (to me anyway) have as much of an aftertaste.

LOL! My taste buds run the opposite - stevia has a NASTY metallic aftertaste (to me, at least).

I DO avoid the "sugar alcohols" like maltitol, sorbitol, etc. They upset my stomach.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    grannynot wrote: »

LOL! My taste buds run the opposite - stevia has a NASTY metallic aftertaste (to me, at least).

I DO avoid the "sugar alcohols" like maltitol, sorbitol, etc. They upset my stomach.

Sugar alcohols are major laxatives lol
  • Artificial sweetener is terrible. I despise getting a hold of any product that has any amount of artificial sweetener. It leaves a terrible taste right in the back of my mouth and it always takes like 2 hours for it to go away. I read labels to be sure that it hasn't been flown in under the radar on products that don't seem like they should have it. As far as sugar and honey? Yes. I use both in small amounts as needed or wanted. I like green tea with just about a half a tablespoon of honey. But I don't use it in abundance. I think food tastes good enough with out a lot of added sweeteners. I mean, except for like... cake frosting. Powdered sugar is a main ingredient.
  • stealthq wrote: »
    At the moment, I'm living on sugar free cough drops (allergy-related laryngitis and a killer sore throat). A sweetener means I'm not eating a thousand or so cals of sugar per day while I'm taking them, so on the one hand I see it as a good thing.

On the other hand, I discovered the sweetener in the ones I'm taking (isomalt) causes intestinal issues for me. Which I view as bad.

So, sweeteners in general, good. Specific sweeteners may be bad for me.

It's not for anyone who wants to get kissed for a few hours but garlic tea is a great soother for a sore throat. If you're interested grate a single clove of garlic into a coffee mug and allow it to sit for 15 minutes, then pour boiling water over the garlic. Add lemon and honey, sip slowly.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I use sugar in baking and sweetener everywhere else. Neither are good nor bad.