Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweetener - Good or Bad?

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    rapple83 wrote: »
    Very very bad. Not only have some been shown to cause cancer (although, I think you need to consume a lot for this to be an issue), but they all impact your insulin sensitivity which makes it more difficult to lose weight in the long run.

I know it's easier said than done, as I've been trying to get rid of my sweet tooth for a long time now (with only partial success), but we shouldn't be consuming sweet things regularly enough for the calories to be of significant difference.

I must be a special snowflake then because I lost over 50lbs while using artificial sweeteners every day. I also improved every single health marker my doctor uses (my blood panels are excellent now), and I've also been maintaining the weight loss for several years. I still consume artificial sweeteners every day.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Very very bad. Not only have some been shown to cause cancer (although, I think you need to consume a lot for this to be an issue), but they all impact your insulin sensitivity which makes it more difficult to lose weight in the long run.

I know it's easier said than done, as I've been trying to get rid of my sweet tooth for a long time now (with only partial success), but we shouldn't be consuming sweet things regularly enough for the calories to be of significant difference.

Absolutely untrue.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Do you see sweetener as good or bad? Would/Wouldn't you use it? And why?

I don't see sweetener as anything other then what it is, which is sweetener...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

*sigh*
    So much nope.
    It does not cause cancer.
    It has no impact on insulin
    It does not interfere with weight loss.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    artificial sweetners are bad & can cause brain tumors
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »

Hi @evamutt - I would implore you to read the first 4.5 pages of this thread.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

That is utterly false.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016

Nope.

Seriously, where do people get these "facts"???
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Nope.

Seriously, where do people get these "facts"???

Where do you think? Mercola....
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2016

You are kidding!
  • tafregnolon
    tafregnolon Posts: 16 Member
    Because they are delicious!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member

No.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

hXGtYfh.gif
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    NO BASHING PLEASE - I drink SodaStream soda because I can adjust the amount of flavor added. I do not like regular soda because it seems thick and heavy. My preference is diet soda. That being said, there seem to be many more neurological problems through the decades as more and more chemical additives have been added to our food. I eat butter, not margarine (tub of chemicals in my opinion). I do eat other processed foods, but I check the ingredients and go for the lesser of the evil. My opinion is that our bodies are not made to digest chemicals.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    NO BASHING PLEASE - I drink SodaStream soda because I can adjust the amount of flavor added. I do not like regular soda because it seems thick and heavy. My preference is diet soda. That being said, there seem to be many more neurological problems through the decades as more and more chemical additives have been added to our food. I eat butter, not margarine (tub of chemicals in my opinion). I do eat other processed foods, but I check the ingredients and go for the lesser of the evil. My opinion is that our bodies are not made to digest chemicals.

This is not true.
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member

This is not true.

What, that our bodies are not meant to digest chemicals?