Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweetener - Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    richln wrote: »
    Aaron is a molecular biologist (I think. Sorry if I didn't get your job description right). He could if he wanted to write you whole essays worth of how compounds like that are broken down in your body. If you don't believe science reviews, maybe someone you can directly talk to would help.
    And who was being rude and condescending? Or a jerk for that matter?

I did not say anyone was being a jerk I ASKED IF he was a jerk when you said "Do we need to call Aaron in." Also, I said the one study was biased because the NutraSweet people had their hands all over it. You understand that I'm sure. Nothing wrong with differing views. I don't need any "experts" trying to force me into sharing their opinion.

At any rate, I don't need to be muscled into believing the opposing view. I didn't come to argue.

You posted your unquantifiable anecdotes in a debate thread, but you don't want to argue, learn the basis for opposing views, review relevant science, or read the opinion of experts in the field? I'm not sure that is a good way to participate in a debate. Do you consider the vast body of decades worth of established science all invalid because it was biased? If so, how was it biased?

I posted PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. NOT "anecdotes".

Your personal experiences, which include no specific results, numbers, methods, or even a hypothesis, are by definition, unquantifiable anecdotes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
    By the way, glad to see you are arguing now :)

I don't need all that to know how it affects me. You may need to do all that to determine how you feel, but I'm pretty good at detecting when I feel sick.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I'll say also, I meant to address but I did forget. I did not realize that was the debate forum until some one mentioned it. I rarely look at the forum title, I usually just look at the posts column. Yeah, I know. That makes me a rotten and despicable person. To err is human.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to understand it myself.
    Sugar = Bad, Artifical = worse???

I've been using either stevia in the raw, or regular sugar in the raw. I also like raw honey.
    No such thing. It's been cultivated from a source. Sugar doesn't grow from trees or underground.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    alexpn wrote: »
    I do have a taste for Diet Coke, but I'm trying to stop drinking it because it's sweetened with Aspartame, and it's supposed to be very bad for your insides when it's metabolised. I think the jury is out about Insulin response and Sweeteners, but a lot of main stream diets do say to avoid sweeteners because they `can' stall your progress. Best to try it and make your own mind up.
    Where you get your information on aspartame matters. And many just get opinionated ones and not actual scientific info.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I find that in most of these debates that the people who believe artificial sweeteners are bad in some way are so firmly set in their beliefs that there's no point in discussing things further with them. I've seen the science, I'm convinced they're safe. I've been drinking diet soda since the 60's.

I have a place for regular sugar, sucralose, stevia, and xylitol in different places in my diet. I like them all for different things.

There are some others who think they are okay and so set in THEIR beliefs they refuse to believe that people who avoid them have had a bad reaction. This making them BAD for THAT person.

The only scientifically sound "bad" reaction to artificial sweeteners that I'm aware of is migraine for some migraneurs.

Other than that, I'm sorry, I have to go with the other posters that you're finding confirmation bias.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have tried all the artificial sweeteners and do not like the aftertaste of any of them. I prefer to include the calories in my daily allotment and use natural sweeteners, mostly honey or maple syrup.
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    The only ones I like are Splenda and Stevia. I don't get the side effects or bad after taste with them. I also like that you can cook with it like actual sugar.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I love me some stevia and whatever they use to make those flavor drops from My Protein
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to understand it myself.
    Sugar = Bad, Artificial = worse???

I've been using either stevia in the raw, or regular sugar in the raw. I also like raw honey.

For me, Artificial = Worse because it tastes nasty to me.
  • kshama2001
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Sweeteners area really neither good nor bad. They generally don't have any nutritional benefits so they aren't really helping with your health but they can assist in satisfying cravings that might otherwise result in caloric excess. They aren't toxins, that is total b.s. but they also aren't going to single-handedly make you a healthier person, you have to learn how to fuel your body appropriately, not just avoid sugar.

I'm personally indifferent towards them although I do get annoyed by the "anti-chemical" fearmongering surrounding them.

@Aaron_K123 did you catch the shout-outs to you last page? He didn't use your full username, just Aaron.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I drink/eat sweeteners like Splenda and aspartame and don't see it as good or bad just... neutral. It's simply another tool in my arsenal that is used to meet my weight loss goals.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I am trying to limit my sugar intake because they all affect me, even fruits and more natural sweeteners. The only stuff I have daily is some raw honey and a serving or two of fruit (although the last couple of days have been a lot more due to apple season starting lol). I have maple syrup or molasses once in a blue moon, and that's about it. I don't miss sweets at all; in fact the last time I tried a vanilla latte - one of my favorite drinks - I had to throw it away after two sips.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sweeteners area really neither good nor bad. They generally don't have any nutritional benefits so they aren't really helping with your health but they can assist in satisfying cravings that might otherwise result in caloric excess. They aren't toxins, that is total b.s. but they also aren't going to single-handedly make you a healthier person, you have to learn how to fuel your body appropriately, not just avoid sugar.

I'm personally indifferent towards them although I do get annoyed by the "anti-chemical" fearmongering surrounding them.

@Aaron_K123 did you catch the shout-outs to you last page? He didn't use your full username, just Aaron.

Yeah I did, but got the distinct sense that I would be ignored so I didn't see much point in responding. I can only get into that so many times before I start feeling like I'm wasting my time to be honest.

Sometimes I know I am wasting my time with a particular poster but respond for the benefit of others in the thread or lurkers.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Yeah I did, but got the distinct sense that I would be ignored so I didn't see much point in responding. I can only get into that so many times before I start feeling like I'm wasting my time to be honest.

Sometimes I know I am wasting my time with a particular poster but respond for the benefit of others in the thread or lurkers.

I think that's a fair mindset, but it's absolutely up to each person to decide where to put their energy. There have been lots of threads I've skipped because I didn't want to spend time wading through them hoping to get through to someone. More power to you if that's what you choose, but I don't think you get to imply that's what the rest of us should be doing.