Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweetener - Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    NO BASHING PLEASE - I drink SodaStream soda because I can adjust the amount of flavor added. I do not like regular soda because it seems thick and heavy. My preference is diet soda. That being said, there seem to be many more neurological problems through the decades as more and more chemical additives have been added to our food. I eat butter, not margarine (tub of chemicals in my opinion). I do eat other processed foods, but I check the ingredients and go for the lesser of the evil. My opinion is that our bodies are not made to digest chemicals.

This is not true.

What, that our bodies are not meant to digest chemicals?

Everything has chemicals in it. Science 101.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    NO BASHING PLEASE - I drink SodaStream soda because I can adjust the amount of flavor added. I do not like regular soda because it seems thick and heavy. My preference is diet soda. That being said, there seem to be many more neurological problems through the decades as more and more chemical additives have been added to our food. I eat butter, not margarine (tub of chemicals in my opinion). I do eat other processed foods, but I check the ingredients and go for the lesser of the evil. My opinion is that our bodies are not made to digest chemicals.

Your opinion is incorrect.

Factually and all...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I feel that matters of nutrition, health, fitness, etc are hardly ever that black and white...as with most things in life...

I'm always a little surprised that so many people have such a black and white spectrum of things and miss out on this whole gray/nuanced area which is where most truth's are found.

Good point that this is not a black and white subject.

Artificial Sweeteners May Change Our Gut Bacteria in Dangerous Ways

https://scientificamerican.com/article/artificial-sweeteners-may-change-our-gut-bacteria-in-dangerous-ways/

Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota

nature.com/nature/journal/v514/n7521/abs/nature13793.html
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Do you see sweetener as good or bad? Would/Wouldn't you use it? And why?

I don't know enough about the different kind of sweeteners but I just came here to say that SPLENDA IS ATROCIOUS AND IT WILL RUIN YOUR COFFEE.

Peoples' taste buds are different. Splenda doesn't bother me, neither does stevia. I can't stand cumin or cilantro, some people love them.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Try xylitol or erythritol. Both are 100% natural, has zero calories, zero GI and are also safe for people with diabetes. Also tooth friendly and helps with weight loss. The only draw back is it is a little pricey but do your shopping on amazon or ebay and you will get a good price.

Xylitol affects my GI tract, erythritol doesn't appear to bother me at all. Other sugar alcohols are even worse, 2-3 pieces of certain sugar-free candies and I'm running to the bathroom.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Try xylitol or erythritol. Both are 100% natural, has zero calories, zero GI and are also safe for people with diabetes. Also tooth friendly and helps with weight loss. The only draw back is it is a little pricey but do your shopping on amazon or ebay and you will get a good price.

Xylitol affects my GI tract, erythritol doesn't appear to bother me at all. Other sugar alcohols are even worse, 2-3 pieces of certain sugar-free candies and I'm running to the bathroom.

Sugar alcohols do that to me too to the point I have to avoid them altogether
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I'm the exact opposite. I'm fine with xylitol, but erythritol and I don't get along well at all.
  • MountainMomma58
    MountainMomma58 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My opinion is my opinion, thus not wrong. Many, many articles about what chemicals do to your body, possible effects on the immune system, cancer links, weight gain, fatigue, etc. If you don't believe it, fine.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    it's Stevia for me all the way.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I'm the exact opposite. I'm fine with xylitol, but erythritol and I don't get along well at all.

So we all agree they can be both good and bad depending on each person's experience with sweeteners?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My opinion is my opinion, thus not wrong. Many, many articles about what chemicals do to your body, possible effects on the immune system, cancer links, weight gain, fatigue, etc. If you don't believe it, fine.
    You seem to be having a great deal of difficulty separating options from facts.

Opinions:
    • I prefer diet soda.
    • I prefer the taste of butter.

"Fact" (heavy emphasis on the quotes):
    • There seem to be many more neurological problems through the decades as more and more chemical additives have been added to our food.
    • What chemicals do to your body, possible effects on the immune system, cancer links, weight gain, fatigue, etc.

Oxymoron: My opinion is that our bodies are not made to digest chemicals.

If you present something as a fact, you better be prepared to back up that statement. With good quality sources and data. Especially in a debate forum.

The biggest difference between opinions and facts is that you're entitled to your own opinion - but you're not entitled to your own facts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

How are you defining "chemicals" here? Because in that everything is a chemical, I don't get how you can say they are all bad. I mean, some obviously are not, at least in moderation (H2O). Others (arsensic), are, or at least are in much much smaller amounts than with H2O.

As for our bodies not being made to digest chemicals, this sounds a bit like we are getting into religion or at least intelligent design (whether we were made with any purpose is a statement of faith, period, not a fact), but the fact is that (again) EVERYTHING we digest is a chemical.