Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweetener - Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Sugar alcohols?

I don't understand how sugar alcohols would be in sugar-free lollies?
    Don't sugar-free lollies have artificial sweeteners instead?

Sugar alcohols are not sugar. This is just a common name they've been given.
    They are a lower calorie sugar substitute used in lots of sugar free candies and gums.

ETA: Perhaps you've looked at the ingredients list of your sugar free lollies and seen sorbitol or xylitol on the list. These are two of the most common sugar alcohols.

Again, they're not sugar so they can totally be used in sugar free products.

So, basically what I said in the first place - they give some people diarrhoea while Pepsi Max etc do not because it is a different sort of artificial sweetener.

I wasn't contesting that they cause intestinal distress for some people (they totally do).

I was speaking to your question, "I don't understand how sugar alcohols would be in sugar-free lollies?"
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know.
    Thank you for that.

I asked that after my first post.
    My first post was saying artificial sweeteners in lollies give me diahhroea but Pepsi Max etc do not - presumably different sweeteners.

Which was indeed the case.

I think everyone is agreed on that point.
  • adelanghe
    adelanghe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was pro sweeteners in the past, until somebody told me that sweeteners replace sugar but they increase the cravings for sugary food. I didn't believe that until I stopped with sweeteners and added sugar to coffee, tea and other beverages and food and like magic my cravings for sugar were reduced to 50% or less than before. I say avoid added sugars AND sweeteners totally, you'll soon get used to it and you'll get fewer cravings for ice-cream, cakes, and other sugary bombs.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Artificially sweetened things don't give me cravings for sweet things. They satisfy a craving if it comes up, but I don't get hungry for sweet things often anymore.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    adelanghe wrote: »
    I was pro sweeteners in the past, until somebody told me that sweeteners replace sugar but they increase the cravings for sugary food. I didn't believe that until I stopped with sweeteners and added sugar to coffee, tea and other beverages and food and like magic my cravings for sugar were reduced to 50% or less than before. I say avoid added sugars AND sweeteners totally, you'll soon get used to it and you'll get fewer cravings for ice-cream, cakes, and other sugary bombs.

If that is the case for you, yes, probably better for you to avoid them

Myself, like most people, do not have that situation. I no more crave sweet things after diet sodas than I used to after regular sugary sodas.
    I just consume less calories.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    adelanghe wrote: »

This does not happen for me, so I will continue to enjoy my sweeteners and sweets.
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,300 Member
    Options
    I am very against Splenda, sucralose etc. they caused me very bad AFIB for two years. I finally figured it out after tons of unanswered results from heart testing.

I'm just starting to use Stevia. It's a natural sweetener, however, it's still highly processed. Staying with Whole Foods is best for our bodies... sometimes it's better to just have a little sugar in moderation I believe.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    So we're claiming that sucralose causes a-fib now?
  • paperpudding
    Options
    artificial sweeteners caused atrial fibrillation???

that is a new one. :o

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think your body cares what grocery chain you use.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't think your body cares what grocery chain you use.
    i-see-what-you-did-there-meme.jpg
  • rapple83
    rapple83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very very bad. Not only have some been shown to cause cancer (although, I think you need to consume a lot for this to be an issue), but they all impact your insulin sensitivity which makes it more difficult to lose weight in the long run.

I know it's easier said than done, as I've been trying to get rid of my sweet tooth for a long time now (with only partial success), but we shouldn't be consuming sweet things regularly enough for the calories to be of significant difference.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    rapple83 wrote: »
    Very very bad. Not only have some been shown to cause cancer (although, I think you need to consume a lot for this to be an issue), but they all impact your insulin sensitivity which makes it more difficult to lose weight in the long run.

I know it's easier said than done, as I've been trying to get rid of my sweet tooth for a long time now (with only partial success), but we shouldn't be consuming sweet things regularly enough for the calories to be of significant difference.

No. Just wrong. No.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

nope. Link?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options

So why is recommended by the American Diabetics Association as a substitute for sugar?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just eat real sugar "in moderation" If i want it "I fit it in my calories", "no need to completely eliminate anything" :wink:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Nope. Completely unfounded scaremongering.

Let me guess - this comes from Gary Taubes? Or is it Mercola? I have a hard time keeping all the crackpots straight sometimes.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

There is no scientific evidence that sweeteners cause cancer and even less evidence that they impact insulin sensitivity.