Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweetener - Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sweeteners area really neither good nor bad. They generally don't have any nutritional benefits so they aren't really helping with your health but they can assist in satisfying cravings that might otherwise result in caloric excess. They aren't toxins, that is total b.s. but they also aren't going to single-handedly make you a healthier person, you have to learn how to fuel your body appropriately, not just avoid sugar.

I'm personally indifferent towards them although I do get annoyed by the "anti-chemical" fearmongering surrounding them.

@Aaron_K123 did you catch the shout-outs to you last page? He didn't use your full username, just Aaron.

Yeah I did, but got the distinct sense that I would be ignored so I didn't see much point in responding. I can only get into that so many times before I start feeling like I'm wasting my time to be honest.

Sometimes I know I am wasting my time with a particular poster but respond for the benefit of others in the thread or lurkers.

I agree with this in principle, but in practice it gets tiring. I've learned from experience that if I just respond to absolutely everyone on this topic I burn myself out and end up stopping posting altogether. Better to pace myself I feel and not jump in when someone literally says they don't want to pay attention to that.

We got your back :p
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm struggling to understand it myself.
    Sugar = Bad, Artifical = worse???

I've been using either stevia in the raw, or regular sugar in the raw. I also like raw honey.
    No such thing. It's been cultivated from a source. Sugar doesn't grow from trees or underground.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But there is a such thing called Sugar in the Raw, which is what I think they were talking about. We have some at our office right now, although in cubed form.

i5r2g1hp6sit.jpg

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-muscovado-145157
    It's all sugar, even delicious, toffeeish muscavado. That turbanido looks indistinguishable from demerara, anyhow, and, apart from the depth of flavour which distinguishes it from the white stuff, it's still sticky and calorific and still adds just as many calories to the blueberry & banana muffins I make for the boys.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    And yeah, for the record, I think it's better to re-educate your palate than seek out sugar substitutes. Some taste better than others, but I prefer to avoid them all, unless I want some coke for my vodka.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm struggling to understand it myself.
    Sugar = Bad, Artifical = worse???

I've been using either stevia in the raw, or regular sugar in the raw. I also like raw honey.
    No such thing. It's been cultivated from a source. Sugar doesn't grow from trees or underground.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But there is a such thing called Sugar in the Raw, which is what I think they were talking about. We have some at our office right now, although in cubed form.

i5r2g1hp6sit.jpg

So in other words it's gone through no "processing"? The sugar comes from somewhere, usually a fruit or cane. It's then extracted. Just because it's called "sugar in the raw", doesn't mean it's "raw" sugar.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I don't know that there's much else that can be added to this conversation. I agree with many others that artificial sweeteners in and of themselves are neither good nor bad. If a particular person finds that a certain sweetener gives them migraines, it is "bad" only for that person, in the same way that peanuts are "bad" for a person with a peanut allergy but not for the population at large.

As a personal anecdote, I've been regularly ingesting aspartame for over 20 years - I started drinking Diet Coke as a kid. I've also been using Splenda (my sweetener of choice) in my coffee, cooking and baking for about 10 years. I find sweeteners a wonderful option for lowering calories without sacrificing the sweetness I love. All of this without any medical problems. Even as a migraine sufferer, I have not found aspartame consumption to be a precipitating event.

Do what works for you.
  • jaya_the_playa
    jaya_the_playa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder if the people who avoid sweeteners also avoid foods that are smoked, charred, or cured. After all, sweeteners, perhaps the most studied food related chemicals in the world, have been showed by dozens of studies to be safe. Smoked, charred, and cured foods are *known* to contain carcinogens by virtue of being smoked. Thoughts?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder if the people who avoid sweeteners also avoid foods that are smoked, charred, or cured. After all, sweeteners, perhaps the most studied food related chemicals in the world, have been showed by dozens of studies to be safe. Smoked, charred, and cured foods are *known* to contain carcinogens by virtue of being smoked. Thoughts?

I avoid smoked foods but drink diet soda daily.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I find that in most of these debates that the people who believe artificial sweeteners are bad in some way are so firmly set in their beliefs that there's no point in discussing things further with them. I've seen the science, I'm convinced they're safe. I've been drinking diet soda since the 60's.

I have a place for regular sugar, sucralose, stevia, and xylitol in different places in my diet. I like them all for different things.

There are some others who think they are okay and so set in THEIR beliefs they refuse to believe that people who avoid them have had a bad reaction. This making them BAD for THAT person.

The only scientifically sound "bad" reaction to artificial sweeteners that I'm aware of is migraine for some migraneurs.

Other than that, I'm sorry, I have to go with the other posters that you're finding confirmation bias.

I think the diahhroea (sp?) effect from some artificial sweeteners is scientifically backed too.

I have found this effect from sugar free lollies at any rate.

But I drink Pepsi Max and Diet coke with no ill effects - different sweetener I think?

Other than the 'ready made' artificial sweetener in diet sodas I dont use artificial sweeteners - not because I have anything against them but because I dont sweeten food much anyway - I have coffee unsweetened and a small teaspoon of sugar on my breakfast cereal.
    A 1kg packet of sugar lasts me nearly a year.

(Yes I realise there is plenty of sugar in foods I eat - but I dont add sugar or sweetener.)

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I find that in most of these debates that the people who believe artificial sweeteners are bad in some way are so firmly set in their beliefs that there's no point in discussing things further with them. I've seen the science, I'm convinced they're safe. I've been drinking diet soda since the 60's.

I have a place for regular sugar, sucralose, stevia, and xylitol in different places in my diet. I like them all for different things.

There are some others who think they are okay and so set in THEIR beliefs they refuse to believe that people who avoid them have had a bad reaction. This making them BAD for THAT person.

The only scientifically sound "bad" reaction to artificial sweeteners that I'm aware of is migraine for some migraneurs.

Other than that, I'm sorry, I have to go with the other posters that you're finding confirmation bias.

I think the diahhroea (sp?) effect from some artificial sweeteners is scientifically backed too.

But I drink Pepsi Max and Diet coke with no ill effects - different sweetener I think?

Other than the 'ready made' artificial sweetener in diet sodas I dont use artificial sweeteners - not because I have anything against them but because I dont sweeten food much anyway - I have coffee unsweetened and a small teaspoon of sugar on my breakfast cereal.

(Yes I realise there is plenty of sugar in foods I eat - but I dont add sugar or sweetener.)

The diarrhea is from sugar alcohols not aspartame and sucrolose, etc.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Sugar alcohols?

I don't understand how sugar alcohols would be in sugar-free lollies?
    Don't sugar-free lollies have artificial sweeteners instead?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Sugar alcohols?

Sugar alcohols are not sugar. This is just a common name they've been given.
    They are a lower calorie sugar substitute used in lots of sugar free candies and gums.

ETA: Perhaps you've looked at the ingredients list of your sugar free lollies and seen sorbitol or xylitol on the list. These are two of the most common sugar alcohols.

Again, they're not sugar so they can totally be used in sugar free products.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I personally like Stevia blends. It's more natural, and doesn't (to me anyway) have as much of an aftertaste.

I think everything in moderation.
    I had a huge addiction to aspartame. I was putting 8 packets in each of my 2 cups of coffee in the morning, plus if I got an outside cup, that would be another 8 so up to 24 packets a day.
    Then I realized that each packet has a little less than 1 carb, so add all of them together and there's 20 carbs for someone on a LCHF diet. Not good. I switched to sweetnlow, because it's much sweeter, and have started using stevia, which has 0 carbs. I'm down to 2 sweetnlow and 2 stevia per coffee. If I could find a place that sells larger quantities of the stevia I'd be thrilled. A box of 35 packets is $3 at my local grocery store.
    Since I switched out the sweetners, my weight loss has picked up a bit, because I wasn't accounting for all of those extra carbs.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

The diarrhea is from sugar alcohols, which are, I believe, different from artificial sweeteners.

Editing because I see that this has been covered.

I'll add this from the Wikipedia article on them:
    Sugar alcohols are usually incompletely absorbed into the blood stream from the small intestines which generally results in a smaller change in blood glucose than "regular" sugar (sucrose). This property makes them popular sweeteners among diabetics and people on low-carbohydrate diets. However, like many other incompletely digestible substances, overconsumption of sugar alcohols can lead to bloating, diarrhea and flatulence because they are not absorbed in the small intestine. Some individuals experience such symptoms even in a single-serving quantity. With continued use, most people develop a degree of tolerance to sugar alcohols and no longer experience these symptoms. As an exception, erythritol is actually absorbed in the small intestine and excreted unchanged through urine, so it contributes no calories even though it is rather sweet.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use splenda in my iced tea, and I personally like sugar free jello and pudding on occasion. I've had people give me the whole "RAWWWRRR artificial sweeteners are POISON and you will DIE a HORRIBLE DEATH from CANCER if you eat that stuff!!!!" spiel. However, I think i'll listen to my dietitian on this one. I brought it up with her, and she agreed that unless i'm ingesting it by the pound, it's not going to have any measurable negative effects, and she has no problem with it. Better a large iced tea with a couple packets of splenda than a soda in its place.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Shells918 wrote: »
    I personally like Stevia blends. It's more natural, and doesn't (to me anyway) have as much of an aftertaste.

I had a huge addiction to aspartame. I was putting 8 packets in each of my 2 cups of coffee in the morning, plus if I got an outside cup, that would be another 8 so up to 24 packets a day.
    Then I realized that each packet has a little less than 1 carb, so add all of them together and there's 20 carbs for someone on a LCHF diet. Not good. I switched to sweetnlow, because it's much sweeter, and have started using stevia, which has 0 carbs. I'm down to 2 sweetnlow and 2 stevia per coffee. If I could find a place that sells larger quantities of the stevia I'd be thrilled. A box of 35 packets is $3 at my local grocery store.
    Since I switched out the sweetners, my weight loss has picked up a bit, because I wasn't accounting for all of those extra carbs.

Aspartame breaks down into phenylalanine and aspartic acid (both are amino acids, not carbs) and methanol. Methanol is processed in the liver, not contributing to blood glucose.
    Therefore, aspartame won't endanger your LCHF diet.

Those little packets have some filler material thrown in which is carbs because else you'd have to put in a fraction of a gram or it would get way too sweet.. the aspartame itself is amino acids though, yeah.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Aspartame breaks down into phenylalanine and aspartic acid (both are amino acids, not carbs) and methanol. Methanol is processed in the liver, not contributing to blood glucose.
    Therefore, aspartame won't endanger your LCHF diet.

Those little packets have some filler material thrown in which is carbs because else you'd have to put in a fraction of a gram or it would get way too sweet.. the aspartame itself is amino acids though, yeah.

Thanks for keeping me honest. I wasn't thinking of the filler.
    I just got off a red eye flight so the jet lag and sleep deprivation are strong with me this morning.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Therefore, aspartame won't endanger your LCHF diet

I don't know, my dietician was having a cow about me consuming so much of it, plus all the carbs adding up. And I'm losing a bit faster now that I've switched. I never thought of it as bad for me but just that I had to cut down considerably. My breakfast was an extra 14 carbs just from aspartame.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Sugar alcohols?

Sugar alcohols are not sugar. This is just a common name they've been given.
    They are a lower calorie sugar substitute used in lots of sugar free candies and gums.

ETA: Perhaps you've looked at the ingredients list of your sugar free lollies and seen sorbitol or xylitol on the list. These are two of the most common sugar alcohols.

Again, they're not sugar so they can totally be used in sugar free products.

So, basically what I said in the first place - they give some people diarrhoea while Pepsi Max etc do not because it is a different sort of artificial sweetener.