Clean and Sober role call

Options

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. I feel a relapse coming this weekend.

One day is better than not. And if you "feel" the relapse coming then you have some ability to not relapse. Get in touch with someone. Please. You can do this.

It was a joke. I don't have a problem and don't do drugs but I do drink a little, usually on the weekends.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I've never been addicted to any drugs or alcohol but my mom abused prescription drugs most of my childhood. She's still not 100% clean but working towards it.

I just wanted to drop in and say congrats to everybody who is sober, especially those with children. It may be tough, but you're doing the right thing.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Sober since...this morning
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I just celebrated my 1 year the other day... 7/12/12.

I also want to say congrats to everyone who has taken that step to getting, and staying sober.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Drug free since 1986
    Tobacco free since 1993
    Alcohol free since 2002 (knock wood)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

I also want to say congrats to everyone who has taken that step to getting, and staying sober.

Congrats. That 1st year is so weird. Then ya hit it and its like "ow that was easier than I thought"
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I am not 100% sober but it's nearly that considering I drink only a handful of times a year and rarely get drunk and have been this way since 2007, and haven't done any drugs period since 2007 and haven't smoked with the exception of the extremely occasional (once or twice a year) since I was 18.

I like to think I am pretty clean in this aspect :)
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone! Keep up the good work! You are all amazing!
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Completely sober since 23 December 2012.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    9/14/2004 from my DOC

Occasionally, I still have a glass or wine or a beer. Yes, it's a bit unorthodox. But, I am comfortable with my choice.

ETA: Congrats to all who fight the good fight every day! :flowerforyou:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options

Congrats. That 1st year is so weird. Then ya hit it and its like "ow that was easier than I thought"
    Thank you. It didn't really even hit me at first, because I never went to AA or NA or had a fancy token to remind me of my sobriety.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I'm Jesse Smith.

I'm an alcoholic.

Sober since 2/3/07

...and, yes, I used my last name.

Tradition 11 needs to be rethought.
    Recovery needs to come out of the church basement.
    Cancer patients, diabetics and people with gluten allergies don't run around getting support in secret meetings.
    Don't whisper about my disease after I leave the room. Ask me about it. I'm more than willing to discuss it openly.

If more people thought this way, more people would be getting help. Shame can be a trigger and keeping the meetings 'secret' just promotes more shame.

I don't do drugs and I rarely drink but just wanted to post a big CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who is posting here. You all are amazing!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options
    9/14/2004 from my DOC

Occasionally, I still have a glass or wine or a beer. Yes, it's a bit unorthodox. But, I am comfortable with my choice.

I still drink, but I don't drown my problems in alcohol, or try to find the solution at the bottom of a bottle. But now I can control myself, and I have no desire to go back to my old behaviors.

ETA I meant drink at social gatherings.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you that are clean, sober, and/or tobacco free! I'm really proud of you! I wish my father had had your will power.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm Jesse Smith.

I'm an alcoholic.

Sober since 2/3/07

Cancer patients, diabetics and people with gluten allergies don't run around getting support in secret meetings.
    Don't whisper about my disease after I leave the room. Ask me about it. I'm more than willing to discuss it openly.

This made me want to hug you. *HUG*
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

Thank you. It didn't really even hit me at first, because I never went to AA or NA or had a fancy token to remind me of my sobriety.

kinda the same here, I do go to AA when I feel agitated or if I cant seem to find my inner peace, only because I know Im in a room with ppl who I have at least one common bond with. Im not a very good student, ha so I don't get all cray with the book and sponsorship. I go for the support.
    I did get my 1yr coin tho and gave my cake to my lil one. :D
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    9/14/2004 from my DOC

I still drink, but I don't drown my problems in alcohol, or try to find the solution at the bottom of a bottle. But now I can control myself, and I have no desire to go back to my old behaviors.

ETA I meant drink at social gatherings.

Yeah, that's the way it is for me too. I can control alcohol bc I'm just not that into it. But, I cannot control other substances. So, I would never attempt to even try.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm Jesse Smith.

I'm an alcoholic.

Sober since 2/3/07

I believe many aspects of the program need to be rethought. Though I generally choose to keep my anonymity. I like your statement of recovery needing to come out of the church basement.
    I like the idea that recovery needs to come out of the church basement (I'd extend that to say recovery needs to come out of church, but that's an entirely different discussion). There is no shame in trying to better ourselves. I've been sober since Oct 25, 1986, by way of a ten month stint in an adolescent psych ward. I think there are as many ways stay sober as there are to get loaded. AA is but one solution that works for some people.

The 11th tradition talks about anonymity at the level of press, radio and films and discourages the promotion of AA. It doesn't say "keep your involvement in AA a secret from everyone." And although the tradition does state keeping names and pictures from print, I don't think it's about hiding, per se. It's about ego and promotion. I suspect, like much of AA, it's about a shift from words to action and behavior. It's about showing others the benefit of doing things differently rather than preaching a solution to them.

Hard to know for sure what the intent was so many years ago. That attitudes around addiction recovery have changed a lot since then. Based on what I've read of the 11th tradition (and 12th, really), I think what they were going for is keeping people from becoming a spokesperson for the organization - unwittingly, with good intentions, or otherwise. And of course, the emphasis on actions over words. I've yet to meet someone in recovery who became more shy as a result of getting sober. We seem to like the talky-talky.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    10 month sober crew checking in
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My name is Mitch and I am and alcholic and a drug addict.. DOC was methamphetamines and by the grace of God I have been sober since April 20th 2004.. Yup 4/20 is my sober date... Lol