Clean and Sober role call

Options

Replies

• mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, I do take it seriously. I made a conscious choice at a very young age not to start...mostly after seeing what it did to the men in my family on both sides. I also identified myself as having obsessive traits very early. It's not the same as recovering, but it is clean and sober, because I know what waits for me if I start. It's destroyed men that were a lot smarter than I'll ever be, and I had to watch.
    anyone else notice since they got sober, you are very mild mannered, not much bother's you and you feel pretty confident 90% of the time?

I do. I also think Im more tolerant of ppl no matter their choices in lfe...
    I've always been pretty mild mannered, with a nonchalant attitude. I'm lacking on the confidence aspect, though.

I've always been pretty tolerant of people, even those who've come in here and made asinine comments, like joking about being sober since this morning or feeling another binge coming on, when clearly they've never suffered from alcoholism or drug addiction. You know, because they're 100% perfect and never screwed up, unlike the rest of us, who picked ourselves back up and made our lives better from past mistakes. Although I do have random passive-agressive moments that get the best of me...
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    August 12 2006 is the first day I woke up and didn't do any meth. It's the day I left my hometown and never looked back.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Very cool post.

I'm not personally an addict but I have seen way too many of my friends and family fall victim to addiction.

This post gives me hope that perhaps some of them can come out on the other side.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, I do take it seriously. I made a conscious choice at a very young age not to start...mostly after seeing what it did to the men in my family on both sides. I also identified myself as having obsessive traits very early. It's not the same as recovering, but it is clean and sober, because I know what waits for me if I start. It's destroyed men that were a lot smarter than I'll ever be, and I had to watch.
    anyone else notice since they got sober, you are very mild mannered, not much bother's you and you feel pretty confident 90% of the time?

I've always been pretty mild mannered, with a nonchalant attitude. I'm lacking on the confidence aspect, though.

I've always been pretty tolerant of people, even those who've come in here and made asinine comments, like joking about being sober since this morning or feeling another binge coming on, when clearly they've never suffered from alcoholism or drug addiction. You know, because they're 100% perfect and never screwed up, unlike the rest of us, who picked ourselves back up and made our lives better from past mistakes. Although I do have random passive-agressive moments that get the best of me...
    oh, I wasn't referring to your post, sweetie. yours was about being a *kitten*, right? I can't recall them all, but yours made me laugh. but you weren't poking fun at having an alcohol, or drug, or another type of addiction problem.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I got called sweetie :smooched: :bigsmile:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options
    I got called sweetie :smooched: :bigsmile:
    I'll call you whatever you want me too :blushing:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

I call those sober "mood swings" they go as fast as they come in, but damn do not mess w/me when they are happening
    its like my brain shuts down and I can breathe fire.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Sobriety is for *kitten*. You can't fail without trying.

wait? what? hahaha
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Since Jan 2010. Life's good.
  • onehotgirl
    onehotgirl Posts: 120
    Options
    drug free for 8 days, I am determined this time to stay off the crap. DOC was pot.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options
    I've never understood the concept of trying to do something. Can you "try" to drop a pen? You either drop it, or you don't. So, you either succeed, or you fail. But you can't try to do one or the other; you're going to do one or the other. In the words of Yoda: Do, or do not. There is no "try."

Oh, and I do have a kitty :flowerforyou:
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm Jesse Smith.

I'm an alcoholic.

Sober since 2/3/07

...and, yes, I used my last name.

Tradition 11 needs to be rethought.
    Recovery needs to come out of the church basement.
    Cancer patients, diabetics and people with gluten allergies don't run around getting support in secret meetings.
    Don't whisper about my disease after I leave the room. Ask me about it. I'm more than willing to discuss it openly.

WHAT A GUY - NICELY SAID.
    EVERYONE - KUDOS TO YOU ALL.
    WOLVEREEN - I HEAR YA!
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a drug & alcohol detox/rehab center. I just wanted to tell everyone how awesome I think this thread is. I've seen how tough getting to the point of sobriety is, and everyone who has made the choice to stay sober should really feel proud of themselves. This seriously made my night! :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing this!

My husband is the same way. He decided at age 5 that he would never drink. He also had alcoholism in his family. He is a physicist and had that passion and ability for science from a very early age and he knew that he didn't want to do anything that would do any damage to his mind and abilities, so that he could contribute positive change to the world through science.

It's good for me to have a sober partner, having grown up with family that was very actively addicted. I also always felt that I need to be watchful that I did not and do not ever go down the path of addiction as well.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Good for you to be so self-aware!
    I spent a while working in substance abuse prevention; if we could get more kids from families like yours (and mine) to keep from starting use we could prevent a lot of addiction. :flowerforyou:
    Oh, and keep on being a *kitten*, it's entertaining.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Straightedge for life !
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Clean since june 17th 2013

Excellent! Keep it up, Don't worry the "Emotional Roller Coaster" will settle out:tongue:
  • Jayactiv
    Jayactiv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread. 8/30/09 one day at a time. :)
  • Jayactiv
    Options
    LOL! Know the feeling.
  • Jayactiv
    Options
    I've never understood the concept of trying to do something. Can you "try" to drop a pen? You either drop it, or you don't. So, you either succeed, or you fail. But you can't try to do one or the other; you're going to do one or the other. In the words of Yoda: Do, or do not. There is no "try."

Oh, and I do have a kitty :flowerforyou:

Well said.