Clean and Sober role call

Options

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Stupid question and please forgive me, but I feel like life would be so boring without alcohol. Whenever I have taken a break from drinking, I get real bored.

I remember thinking that.

Then I couldn't control how much I drank, when I drank
    I woke up with a hangover 5-7 days/week.
    I wouldn't be able to remember how I got home

If you can control it, great, but most of us that have quit, couldn't.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I gotta agree with Tyty. Most of us who quit were terrible drinkers/users. I was never any good at it -- not even the first time.
  • TyTy76
    Options
    I gotta agree with Tyty. Most of us who quit were terrible drinkers/users. I was never any good at it -- not even the first time.

I was good at consuming MASSIVE amounts...does that count??
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I thought this *was* *kitten* recovery. Then I found out it's a dating site...and I'm married. There is no hope for me...forever a *kitten*. :cry:
    Alcohol and drug free since my birth in 1970.

Sadly not free of being a *kitten*. :(

I hear they have a 12 Step Program for that too, lol!:tongue:
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm Jesse Smith.

I'm an alcoholic.

Sober since 2/3/07

...and, yes, I used my last name.

Tradition 11 needs to be rethought.
    Recovery needs to come out of the church basement.
    Cancer patients, diabetics and people with gluten allergies don't run around getting support in secret meetings.

Don't whisper about my disease after I leave the room. Ask me about it. I'm more than willing to discuss it openly.

COOLNESS, dude!!!:happy:
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. I feel a relapse coming this weekend.

One day is better than not. And if you "feel" the relapse coming then you have some ability to not relapse. Get in touch with someone. Please. You can do this.

It was a joke. I don't have a problem and don't do drugs but I do drink a little, usually on the weekends.
    Yeah, that's not really cool. It's a serious problem that ruins lives.
    If you want to drink and can do it safely, awesome, but no need to make jokes about those of us who can't.
  • TyTy76
    Options
    Yesterday. I feel a relapse coming this weekend.

One day is better than not. And if you "feel" the relapse coming then you have some ability to not relapse. Get in touch with someone. Please. You can do this.

It was a joke. I don't have a problem and don't do drugs but I do drink a little, usually on the weekends.

So joking about a relapse, something that a lot of struggle with in here on a daily basis?

New low, even for you.
  • dhilliges2015
    Options
    Clean since june 17th 2013
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just heard about this: http://www.smartrecovery.org/

I don't know much about it. But, it is a non-religious recovery group. I noticed people discussing that.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Clean...080108
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    anyone else notice since they got sober, you are very mild mannered, not much bother's you and you feel pretty confident 90% of the time?

I do. I also think Im more tolerant of ppl no matter their choices in lfe...
  • darlenelc66
    Options
    Sober since 11/10/2009! I count my blessings everyday :smile:
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i can't rember who said it on tv awhile back they said something along the way of if you didn't seek help for your drinking problem then your still sick.... this made me so mad i quet the first time cold turkey and did so the seacond time.i have no plans to relapes life is good now. i rather deal with my fears, emotions and what ever sober. i also don't have the temptations on me so i'm lucky
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I was good at consuming MASSIVE amounts...does that count??

Nah. You know as well as I do: Quantity does not equal quality. Quantity is easy, darn it.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    11/16/1982. Alcohol and drug free.
    Last drink was a Bud long neck at the bowling ally bar on Holloman AFB New Mexico.
    Took another few decades to stop changing seats on the Titanic. :bigsmile:

Wow, that was my 16th birthday...

Does it count if I only drink a wee bit (I'm literally talking sips) on occasion simply for the taste and I haven't gotten buzzed in years?
    And I used to be a hot mess in my teens and early twenties, so I knew I needed to get clean.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I don't know much about it. But, it is a non-religious recovery group. I noticed people discussing that.
    I went once with a friend who didn't find AA to her liking. Honestly, it made me pretty uncomfortable. There was a 'facilitator' there taking notes about what we said.
    That being said, it is based on solid evidence-based theories and works with people with a wide range of addictions. From what I saw it doesn't talk about a Higher Power, so for people who are uncomfortable with that it may be helpful.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I went once with a friend who didn't find AA to her liking. Honestly, it made me pretty uncomfortable. There was a 'facilitator' there taking notes about what we said.
    That being said, it is based on solid evidence-based theories and works with people with a wide range of addictions. From what I saw it doesn't talk about a Higher Power, so for people who are uncomfortable with that it may be helpful.

Oh, thanks for sharing your experience.

I've been to al anon groups (the ones for family members).
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Kudos to all of you in real recovery. I work with alcoholics/drug addicts.. Although, i myself am not an alcoholic or drug addict, i definitely believe i have a sugar addiction. I get the same "obsession and compulsion" to eat more and more sugar once i have my first bite! I find abstaining my best defense... As the saying goes, "one drink (brownie) is too many, a thousand is never enough". Keep on keeping on! ????
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    September 2006 was the last time I used meth. Ending 17 years of drug use
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    anyone else notice since they got sober, you are very mild mannered, not much bother's you and you feel pretty confident 90% of the time?

I do. I also think Im more tolerant of ppl no matter their choices in lfe...
    I've always been pretty mild mannered, with a nonchalant attitude. I'm lacking on the confidence aspect, though.

I've always been pretty tolerant of people, even those who've come in here and made asinine comments, like joking about being sober since this morning or feeling another binge coming on, when clearly they've never suffered from alcoholism or drug addiction. You know, because they're 100% perfect and never screwed up, unlike the rest of us, who picked ourselves back up and made our lives better from past mistakes. Although I do have random passive-agressive moments that get the best of me...