How bad would someone's form need to be for you to say something?

Options

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    Here you go: now you can laugh like the rest of us.

I watched the first minute or two. Obviously some of those were recorded by the person in the video or they knew they were being recorded by a friend. Others are obviously recorded by some lowlife d-bag without the subjects knowledge and then shared for the world to see. That is a scummy thing to do and so is approving of it and spreading it around even more. If I caught someone doing that they'd find out in short order what I thought of it and they'd be walking funny where I'd shove their cell phone. :wink:

Let's agree to disagree then, because I think most of these are hilarious.

So you would assault somebody over this?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'm too focused. I have never noticed anyone doing anything dangerous. And I don't know enough to help them. Certain dance form I do know, but people aren't going to hurt themselves. If the opportunity presents I will give a little tip about correct hip alignment.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'm too focused. I have never noticed anyone doing anything dangerous. And I don't know enough to help them. Certain dance form I do know, but people aren't going to hurt themselves. If the opportunity presents I will give a little tip about correct hip alignment.

I've seen people doing dangerous things in pole and I just point the teacher in their direction or I will move to spot them so they don't injure themselves, but I do not go out of my way to behave like I'm the instructor.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wBgkAUMZnrA&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/wBgkAUMZnrA

Not sure how to get the video to show...but this one is pretty funny. Still, I wouldn't say anything. What would the point be?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Some of them are genuinely funny. I'm not even going to be sorry to say it. It is. Does it make me childish? sure. would I video someone? nope. but I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be holier than thou over it.

The one video with guy jumping back and forth on the cable tower?

I'd tell a staff member- it's dangerous- likely to damage the equipment and odds are high he's going to hurt himself. And it makes for a damn funny gym video fail.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you think that video is funny, check out Infinite Elgintensity on YouTube.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wBgkAUMZnrA&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure how to get the video to show...but this one is pretty funny. Still, I wouldn't say anything. What would the point be?

I love this one and could be the person doing it. A lot of videos like this just look like the person is having a blast and doesn't gaf.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    An old guy shouted at me not to stretch for pre running and that over 40 warm up should be walking, picking up the speed of walk over 5 mins and then run. I've never been injured. So glad old guy shouted at me :smile:
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    LOL. I often wonder this. There was a lady yesterday that was doing something crazy on the leg press and I thought she was going to kill herself. i didn't say anything. I just videoed it. lol. Probably wrong of me, but it was funny.

That's pretty messed up.

those gym fail videos almost EVERYONE watches don't make themselves you know.

Granted I wouldn't do it- but I'm not going to sit here and side eye someone else for it.

I don't watch them so I don't know. *shrug*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKZlUfuwgZo

I have to admit, this was pretty funny
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »

HAHAAH she is just drunk and playing with the equipment
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

I watched the first minute or two. Obviously some of those were recorded by the person in the video or they knew they were being recorded by a friend. Others are obviously recorded by some lowlife d-bag without the subjects knowledge and then shared for the world to see. That is a scummy thing to do and so is approving of it and spreading it around even more. If I caught someone doing that they'd find out in short order what I thought of it and they'd be walking funny where I'd shove their cell phone. :wink:

Maybe... if I was the one being filmed!! J/K

How would you like to be watching one with your family and see you or a loved one in the video? How would you feel to be shamed and embarrassed or witness one of your loved ones shamed and embarrassed for the whole world to see? I don't get how anyone can't see how deeply wrong this is. I can't believe society these days. I saw a video on a motorcycle riders board where someone in a car was filming an overweight lady on a scooter and laughing at her. She was just there, helpless, trying to get from point A to point B while watching the jerks film and laugh at her. Of course many others were posting mocking comments too. So, so wrong. But that's how society has become. It's so easy to do this I guess so that makes it ok. I'm SO glad that bimbo who took a picture of the older lady in the shower and posted that got caught and punished. I hope to see more of that in the future. Maybe it will make people think twice.

Back to your question, I would chew out the ignoramus doing it, point the jerk out to the person being recorded, making sure the whole room knew what was going on and if the individual doing the recording copped and attitude and got in my face then it would definitely be on. But I don't go strutting around just looking to start swinging. And there are many dudes at my gym I wouldn't want to have to tangle with but on this issue I wouldn't care.

I could certainly laugh at myself and my loved ones. Your family doesn't tease each other mercilessly?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I tell people all the Time "Head up, Head up" Those are the only words or advice I give to strangers but its in their best interest.. Bad form starts where your looking especially on squats, deadlifts and pull ups. Head UP its the coach in me..

Rippetoe would disagree with you on squats
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

How would you like to be watching one with your family and see you or a loved one in the video? How would you feel to be shamed and embarrassed or witness one of your loved ones shamed and embarrassed for the whole world to see? I don't get how anyone can't see how deeply wrong this is. I can't believe society these days. I saw a video on a motorcycle riders board where someone in a car was filming an overweight lady on a scooter and laughing at her. She was just there, helpless, trying to get from point A to point B while watching the jerks film and laugh at her. Of course many others were posting mocking comments too. So, so wrong. But that's how society has become. It's so easy to do this I guess so that makes it ok. I'm SO glad that bimbo who took a picture of the older lady in the shower and posted that got caught and punished. I hope to see more of that in the future. Maybe it will make people think twice.

Back to your question, I would chew out the ignoramus doing it, point the jerk out to the person being recorded, making sure the whole room knew what was going on and if the individual doing the recording copped and attitude and got in my face then it would definitely be on. But I don't go strutting around just looking to start swinging. And there are many dudes at my gym I wouldn't want to have to tangle with but on this issue I wouldn't care.

I could certainly laugh at myself and my loved ones. Your family doesn't tease each other mercilessly?

Big difference between that and someone filming you without your knowledge or permission and then posting it online for the world to see. I guess if it doesn't bother you then they have your permission but they don't know it.

I was in Sturgis at the Full Throttle Saloon in 2010 when they were filming their reality show there. My friend and I had to sign releases so they could use our images on TV. We were fully aware we were being filmed and they got our permission. That's the way it should be, not weenies with their little spy cameras being sneaky off to the side.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Big difference between that and someone filming you without your knowledge or permission and then posting it online for the world to see. I guess if it doesn't bother you then they have your permission but they don't know it.

I was in Sturgis at the Full Throttle Saloon in 2010 when they were filming their reality show there. My friend and I had to sign releases so they could use our images on TV. We were fully aware we were being filmed and they got our permission. That's the way it should be, not weenies with their little spy cameras being sneaky off to the side.

You have full permission to video tape me doing something stupid and post it online. It doesn't bother me, why should it?
  • wanzik
    edited September 2016
    Options

You have full permission to video tape me doing something stupid and post it online. It doesn't bother me, why should it?

It's easy to say that when you know it will never happen. But that's fine if it doesn't bother you. It would bother me and it bothers a lot of other people. It's called ethics and respect for others. Simple as that.

Edit: I was just thinking, some of those people were obviously trying to hide the fact that they were filming. They knew it wasn't right but did it anyway. Just like that bimbo who took a picture of the lady in the shower and posted it. Hmmm, do you give full permission for people to take your picture in the shower and post it? :wink: :
  • LazSommer
    edited September 2016
    Options

It's easy to say that when you know it will never happen. But that's fine if it doesn't bother you. It would bother me and it bothers a lot of other people. It's called ethics and respect for others. Simple as that.

Edit: I was just thinking, some of those people were obviously trying to hide the fact that they were filming. They knew it wasn't right but did it anyway. Just like that bimbo who took a picture of the lady in the shower and posted it. Hmmm, do you give full permission for people to take your picture in the shower and post it? :wink: :

Your eyes are the ones in danger if you're looking at nude pictures of me, not mine. Isn't that what happens at Sturgis, anyway?
  • wanzik
    Options

Your eyes are the ones in danger if you're looking at nude pictures of me, not mine. Isn't that what happens at Sturgis, anyway?

LOL! Same as if you were looking at me - I just want to be the one who makes that decision, not some sneaky d-bag lurking in the corner with a spy camera.

Yes, a lot of that happens in Sturgis. I've seen a few things... nothing like you hear about though. The places I stayed and visited were pretty tame.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a few times, but just approach them quietly and ask if they would like me to show them a correction. I have only done this when I see someone dangerously close to injury. I think it is wrong to not - someone could really hurt themselves and if you are experienced you should share your knowledge. If my partner is in the gym I would alert him as he is a PT there
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a licensed trainer and carry your own insurance plan you shouldn't say anything to anyone in a gym or anywhere for that matter in terms of how they're performing an exercise. All you need is for someone to hurt their neck or back on the squat rack, they turn around and blame you for the injury, they sue you for everything you got. End-o-story. Even if you're a certified trainer, if the person isn't your client... just look the other way!

i am curious about the last bit, is that incase of law suits?

Not so much in terms of a law suit but if the person isn't your client you're not getting paid. Aside from genuine human concern no one is in this business to give away free advice.... once you begin that, everyone starts asking you for free advice lol!

A good PT doesn't need to worry about giving out free advice/tips. Give everything out in abundance and it will come back to you. Not only for PTs... for everything in life!