How bad would someone's form need to be for you to say something?

Options
123457»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »
    Not so much in terms of a law suit but if the person isn't your client you're not getting paid. Aside from genuine human concern no one is in this business to give away free advice.... once you begin that, everyone starts asking you for free advice lol!

A good PT doesn't need to worry about giving out free advice/tips. Give everything out in abundance and it will come back to you. Not only for PTs... for everything in life!

not everyone wants to, i bet. i'm a freelance [thing that i do], and a good one afaik. but even if it would be 'good business' for me to be constantly getting in other people's business with my skillz when i'm not at work, i'm just not into it. not a money issue; i just like clean distinctions between me time and work time, that's all. and when i'm not at work i'd rather be thinking about other things.

every environment's probably different too, but when i think about the staff where i lift: most of them are professional trainers on the side, but that's their own private enterprise. when they're on duty, they're working for the centre. and unless there was a clause in that membership that i didn't see, the centre isn't paying them to one-on-one anyone. its paying them to do whatever their formal job is.

this thread has made me think about levels of entitlement relating to personal training, actually. it's pretty interesting.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I tell people all the Time "Head up, Head up" Those are the only words or advice I give to strangers but its in their best interest.. Bad form starts where your looking especially on squats, deadlifts and pull ups. Head UP its the coach in me..

Rippetoe would disagree with you on squats

Low Bar squats I'll give you that one but I would have recognized the lift before saying something
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wBgkAUMZnrA&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/wBgkAUMZnrA

Not sure how to get the video to show...but this one is pretty funny. Still, I wouldn't say anything. What would the point be?

I only watched about half of it. It almost looks like she's stretching. Heck, I don't use a cable station, but I use bands. Part of my bench warmup looks kinda similar to what she did.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I tell people all the Time "Head up, Head up" Those are the only words or advice I give to strangers but its in their best interest.. Bad form starts where your looking especially on squats, deadlifts and pull ups. Head UP its the coach in me..

Low Bar squats I'll give you that one but I would have recognized the lift before saying something

Michael, I'm sure you're a good coach, but recognize that you are likely making a mistake by suggesting to other people that they keep their head up on squats, deadlifts or pullups. My understanding is that you pretty much always want to keep a neutral spine --- especially on those three exercises. Here is an article that makes the same point.

https://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/use-your-head-to-save-your-neck-4-ways-youre-causing-neck-injury

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I never give my opinion or advice in the gym unless someone asks for it. 90% of the time, it is ignored anyway. Most of the population does not have a clue what they are doing.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    mreichard wrote: »

Michael, I'm sure you're a good coach, but recognize that you are likely making a mistake by suggesting to other people that they keep their head up on squats, deadlifts or pullups. My understanding is that you pretty much always want to keep a neutral spine --- especially on those three exercises. Here is an article that makes the same point.

https://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/use-your-head-to-save-your-neck-4-ways-youre-causing-neck-injury

That was a good article I read some of his other stuff as well I agree a trainer would be better to instruct as "head up" is a very general statement.