Epsom Salts?

Replies

• sevenofnine01
    sevenofnine01 Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2016
    Reading a bit of tenseness ITT. Perhaps everyone needs to take a nice long, hot bath in epsom salts and relaxxxx..........

Hehe.

Also - to the OP - glad you had a nice bath. Nothing like a good soak for the soul! <3
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I enjoy soaking in Epsom salts on occasion. I like how my skin feels after. The scented ones have a nice relaxation quality to them as well. So between a calming scent and the hot water, I am sure there are some benefits for relaxation. I'm making this up from memory, but doesn't the heat increase circulation which would help move the lactic acid out of the muscles quicker, thereby reducing soreness? Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    ladarius93 wrote: »
    The directions are on the back of the Epsom salt bag. I also got the bath soak information from an article of better hones and garden. The Epsom salt detoxs the bad toxins from the body. You don't drink it. You add it to your bath for soaking. Not drinking. I wouldn't post an answer to someone's post with bogus or false information and jeopardize anyone's health or life. Also Bragg's has a booklet with all of the same information. That's where I got my research h from. Read it. It may be of great help to you dewd2.

I've read that Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar website, and they claim their product is pretty much a cure-all for every ailment known to mankind. And I wouldn't be so skeptical of that if they weren't also in the business of selling the stuff. ;)

I do find that ACV makes a good salad dressing, though. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I love Epsom salt baths and bubble baths and as I pulled something in my back on a deadlift today I am particularly interested in any relief

If only it existed
  • snickerscharlie
    edited October 2016
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I love Epsom salt baths and bubble baths and as I pulled something in my back on a deadlift today I am particularly interested in any relief

If only it existed

Can you get Voltarin Emulgel without a prescription where you are? Stuff is da bomb! It's made for joint pain, but I've found it's terrific on sore muscles, too. :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    I've done Epsom salt baths for sore muscles. I've come to prefer a nice hot shower, foam rolling, and slipping into a warm bed.

Editing to add: I'm not much of a bath person. I get bored.
  • ladarius93
    ladarius93 Posts: 47 Member
    Amusedmonkey. I was referencing the "don't drink" as the detox. You can drink it in tsp amounts with warm water as a laxative. (
  • luv2shimmy
    luv2shimmy Posts: 67 Member

If only it existed

I'm a big fan of Tiger Balm or Icy Hot for sore muscles. Or, pop 800 mg of Ibuprofen (unless you have kidney issues - then cut that in half) and take a hot bath or shower. Gentle stretching - you don't want to stop moving it altogether or it could spasm (and that hurts a heck of a lot more). Those are my go tos for muscle pain.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I enjoy soaking in Epsom salts on occasion. I like how my skin feels after. The scented ones have a nice relaxation quality to them as well. So between a calming scent and the hot water, I am sure there are some benefits for relaxation. I'm making this up from memory, but doesn't the heat increase circulation which would help move the lactic acid out of the muscles quicker, thereby reducing soreness? Correct me if I'm wrong.

This. I just did a foot soak with some eucalyptus-scented Epsom salts and they calmed me, but they didn't do more to relieve the pain than plain water does.
  • ladarius93
    The directions are on the back of the Epsom salt bag. I also got the bath soak information from an article of better hones and garden. The Epsom salt detoxs the bad toxins from the body. You don't drink it. You add it to your bath for soaking. Not drinking. I wouldn't post an answer to someone's post with bogus or false information and jeopardize anyone's health or life. Also Bragg's has a booklet with all of the same information. That's where I got my research h from. Read it. It may be of great help to you dewd2.

I've read that Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar website, and they claim their product is pretty much a cure-all for every ailment known to mankind. And I wouldn't be so skeptical of that if they weren't also in the business of selling the stuff. ;)

I do find that ACV makes a good salad dressing, though. :)

Maybe so. I purchased the book years ago and drink it as well as add to bath water. It works for me and others that I know.
    Yeah it does make a good dressing and a good meat tenderizer too.
  • ladarius93
    You're right. I'm no rocket scientist. I just only have a Masters in Biology

Then please explain the toxins eliminated and the biological process by which this occurs, with sourcing from peer reviewed studies
    Try either the lavender fragrance Epsom salt (Family Dollar) or you can add aromatherapy lavender drops(10),Braggs organic apple cider vinegar(2 cups)to your bath water along with regular Epsom salt and soak. Teally, really works. Also Walmart carries a doctor teas bath soak in liquid or powder. The Epsom salts will also detox your body while soaking.

I for one am eager to learn as to my knowledge nobody has yet provided any scientific proof of "detoxing" outside hospitals

RESEARCH IT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
  • ladarius93
    Reading a bit of tenseness ITT. Perhaps everyone needs to take a nice long, hot bath in epsom salts and relaxxxx..........

Hehe.

Also - to the OP - glad you had a nice bath. Nothing like a good soak for the soul! <3

I was just only stating what I know from my experience and from reading. Research changes everyday, just like LIFE. Didn't know toes were going to be stepped on
  • snickerscharlie

Then please explain the toxins eliminated and the biological process by which this occurs, with sourcing from peer reviewed studies
    Try either the lavender fragrance Epsom salt (Family Dollar) or you can add aromatherapy lavender drops(10),Braggs organic apple cider vinegar(2 cups)to your bath water along with regular Epsom salt and soak. Teally, really works. Also Walmart carries a doctor teas bath soak in liquid or powder. The Epsom salts will also detox your body while soaking.

I for one am eager to learn as to my knowledge nobody has yet provided any scientific proof of "detoxing" outside hospitals

I think the point that @Sued0nim was making is that there's *tons* of detox claims made by the people/companies that are selling these so-called 'detox' products. Unfortunately, this is not the same as scientific research. Here's a good thread here at MFP that addresses this very thing:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse

:)
  • ladarius93
    dewd2 wrote: »
    That fact that you think (know) is going to work does NOT mean it actually works. Correlation and causation. Placebo. It is not rocket science. It is basic science 101.

Dewd2. I would like to apologize to you. You were stating your facts and just only asked a question. You deserve an answer and apology. I'm a better person than that#
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2016

But you said you had a masters of biology so hence implied that you knew more than those of us who said products don't detox. As a scientist you must be fully aware that those who make the claim provide the proof

TBH I'm not quite sure what you are saying any more, do you not hold a masters? Did I misread?
  • ladarius93

I think the point that @Sued0nim was making is that there's *tons* of detox claims made by the people/companies that are selling these so-called 'detox' products. Unfortunately, this is not the same as scientific research. Here's a good thread here at MFP that addresses this very thing:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse

I understand exactly what you're saying. I only stated what I know and have learned. I never at one time stand that it's a scientific fact or proven research stated that epsom is a detox. I know what it does for me. That's all I'm saying. My post was taken to another entire level. No more of my thoughts on here. Thanks for your kin dress though.
  • ladarius93

I understand exactly what you're saying. I only stated what I know and have learned. I never at one time stand that it's a scientific fact or proven research stated that epsom is a detox. I know what it does for me. That's all I'm saying. My post was taken to another entire level. No more of my thoughts on here. Thanks for your kin dress though.

Kindness
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member

Hehe.

I was just only stating what I know from my experience and from reading. Research changes everyday, just like LIFE. Didn't know toes were going to be stepped on

Don't make it personal. It is like any other thing people get duped into buying. If someone says it does something, show us (citations). If there is legitimate information available that shows it is woo, then it has to be pointed out. People come here to learn. Allowing false information to not be challenged helps no one.

And no, I have never used Epsom Salt (to my knowledge - my grandmother used it when I was a child). I also don't use other Supposed Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
  • ladarius93
    No. You didn't misread. Nor did I say I knew more than anyone else on the discussion board. That's what you're implying. To be honest, whomever wants to use epsom salt or any other type of salt or whatever can do as they're pleased. You state information you've read and learned just like everyone else on the board and some people just get hammered by the information they give. Scientific fact or not; epsom salt can be used for whatever a person wants to do with it. Whether as a "detox",soak, to wash dishes, or to bake. It's "your" prerogative. Not mine.