Epsom Salts?

Options

Replies

• ladarius93
    ladarius93 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You know what SuedOnim? You're so freaking right. I didn't realize that i didnt know as much as I thought I did. Thanks for looking out.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say to be honest.

Although I gather the "Masters of Biology" claim was some kind of joke?

Enjoy your Epsom salts bath
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I tried looking up info about epsom salts awhile ago and got completely confused. Some say it doesn't do anything and that skin is impermeable, others say "some" magnesium is absorbed, others say transdermal magnesium absorption is vastly superior to ingesting it. I gave up. I suspect its more of what @JeromeBarry1 mentioned, that its noticeable "effects" are only proportional to an pre-existing deficiency.

Anyway, I have magnesium oil because I'm too impatient to take a bath.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I gave up on Epsom Salt baths because they certainly did cause me to eliminate all manner of toxins and wotnot, rather violently, leaving me in need of another bath or shower (OK, TMI, I admit) I wouldn't even dare try to ingest the stuff orally, if that's what a bath in he stuff does!
  • ladarius93
    Options
    That's exactly what is was. Enjoy yours too. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ladarius93 wrote: »
    No. You didn't misread. Nor did I say I knew more than anyone else on the discussion board. That's what you're implying. To be honest, whomever wants to use epsom salt or any other type of salt or whatever can do as they're pleased. You state information you've read and learned just like everyone else on the board and some people just get hammered by the information they give. Scientific fact or not; epsom salt can be used for whatever a person wants to do with it. Whether as a "detox",soak, to wash dishes, or to bake. It's "your" prerogative. Not mine.

I'm really struggling to understand how someone who said they had a masters degree in biology can have such disregard for the importance of using reputable scientific sources (not blog articles and the back of a package) as well as not holding in higher regard the importance of the literal definitions of a word. "Detox" means to rid something of toxins. A person can't "detox if they want to" if their body literally doesn't have toxins in it and the substance they are using doesn't rid the body of those toxins.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Try either the lavender fragrance Epsom salt (Family Dollar) or you can add aromatherapy lavender drops(10),Braggs organic apple cider vinegar(2 cups)to your bath water along with regular Epsom salt and soak. Teally, really works. Also Walmart carries a doctor teas bath soak in liquid or powder. The Epsom salts will also detox your body while soaking.

Show me some credible scientific proof that detoxes are required and work and I'll eat my mattress.

• ladarius93
    Options
    I never said anywhere in my post that the directions on the back of the package said anything about detoxing. I said the instructions on the back of the package tells you how to soak. I gave links about the epsom salt being used as a body detox. I said nothing about the back of the package said anything about detoxing. I only stated what I've read just like everybody else on here has done. I know know what detox means. I didn't get my information from no blog article. Masters degree or PhD, whete do you see in my post that I ever stated that everything that I was saying was a scientific fact. Exactly. No where. I know that you can't detox if there's nothing to detox. Just like you can't put out a fire if there's no flame. All these post about "showing scientific proof". If I would've stated in the beginning that I had scientific proof about detoxing, that would be different especially if I couldn't prove it. There is no disregard for reputable scientific sources because I never stated that there was.
  • ladarius93
    Options
    You can eat whatever you desire. But I never said I had scientific proof. Are you guys not clearly reading my post or are you digging in so deep that you're going beyond the point.
  • ladarius93
    Options
    I know people come on here to learn. I only posted what I thought I was good advice. Didn't think I would be dissected for saying what I found online and in books. I didn't just post information. I included"citations" and "links". Evidently it wasn't what people felt like met their standards as far as being information. Just because people still use epsom salt doesn't mean it's an alternative medicine (SCAM). A person uses what they prefer to. Whoever wants to use it can. Whomever doesn't, fine.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Um. My understanding is that our livers and kidneys do a pretty good job of detoxing.
    Re Epsom salts - I too have heard that magnesium is absorbed through the skin. I don't know if that's true or not but my mother used to swear by Epsom salts. Maybe that makes it an old wives tale. But my brother - who has ankylosing spondylitis -was advised by his consultant to use it and it did help a lot.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Given how easy it is to post information online, linking to sources is important, but doesn't necessarily mean the source should automatically be trusted.

I think the concern is about making a claim about what a product does, WITHOUT having scientific facts or proof. Especially in the health/fitness community, there's soooo much misinformation, and so many companies trying to sell you this or that to help you lose weight. So there's often going to be a push back against yet another unverified claim about what a particular product will do for your body.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Okay, so I hear that soaking in a warm bath with epsom salts is supposed to help sore muscles. But I haven't noticed any difference between that and just soaking in a warm bath without the salts. Is this an old wives' tale? Do I need to dump more salt in the tub? Swirl the water in a counter-clockwise motion? XD

I like soaking in epson salts because it helps when I want to relax and have sore muscles, just like bath soaks without epson salts. I just love baths.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Okay, so I hear that soaking in a warm bath with epsom salts is supposed to help sore muscles. But I haven't noticed any difference between that and just soaking in a warm bath without the salts. Is this an old wives' tale? Do I need to dump more salt in the tub? Swirl the water in a counter-clockwise motion? XD

I'm not sure about soothing muscles but epsom salts in warm/hot water is great for cleansing your skin. Also, I'm not sure who does it still but people definitely used to drink some in warm water to ease their stomach.
    Not recommended.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Try either the lavender fragrance Epsom salt (Family Dollar) or you can add aromatherapy lavender drops(10),Braggs organic apple cider vinegar(2 cups)to your bath water along with regular Epsom salt and soak. Teally, really works. Also Walmart carries a doctor teas bath soak in liquid or powder. The Epsom salts will also detox your body while soaking.

No they won't. There is no reason to detox. Your body detoxes all by itself.
  • ladarius93
    Options
    There's scientific research that there's a lot of medications that are supposed to help different ailments, but years later other scientific research and studies prove differently. So who's to say that scientific research /proof is valid.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    There's scientific research that there's a lot of medications that are supposed to help different ailments, but years later other scientific research and studies prove differently. So who's to say that scientific research /proof is valid.

Um, what are you talking about? Examples?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Regardless of changes in scientific conclusions, they're still better than pure conjecture or completely unsubstantiated claims. Inferring that because sometimes conclusions change, they're not to be awarded any weight is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, don't you think?
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It completely works, but you have to make sure you use enough. I use about 2-3 cups, and you have to make sure the sore areas are under water for at least 20 minutes. I highly recommend it.
  • ladarius93
    Options
    Since it seems like my post was blown out of the water with all of the "scientific research and proof" about detox and examples. Since the only way something is true is because it was scientifically proven or fact checked in order for people to believe. It's not scientifically proven that you will wake up everyday. But that's what people believe. So what's the difference in scientific research for believing in a detox and scientific research that you're going to wake up. Is it scientific or is it a belief or is it a "SCAM"