Biggest blunders you've done?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Allowing myself to put on weight in the first place. I won't be making that mistake twice!
    I have made that mistake twice! Now trying to avoid doing it for a third time :)

Regaining the weight I've lost petrifies me. I honestly don't think i have the energy and fortitude to do it all over again and start from scratch.

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Buying into a calorie is a calorie. I was always hungry eating 100 calorie snacks...chips.. cookies.. turkey dogs and trader joe's guilt free mac n cheese .all that. Nutrition matters and I lose better when I'm eating vegetables and making all my own food.

Yeah, but that isn't "buying into"; but "misunderstanding". Nutrition matters AND calories count.

Different strokes for different folks.

Calorie counting/awareness was what initially set me on the course I'm on now, but ironically it was also my biggest blunder and needed to be dropped as I moved on.

With calorie counting, I was always thinking about foods, never ate enough, ate at wrong time, never felt satisfied, frequently being hindered from going out. The minute I stopped screwing with my eating behavior -- start eating satisfyingly per necessity and stop (reduce) when not needed -- the process became virtually effortless.

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Allowing myself to put on weight in the first place. I won't be making that mistake twice!
    I have made that mistake twice! Now trying to avoid doing it for a third time :)

Regaining the weight I've lost petrifies me. I honestly don't think i have the energy and fortitude to do it all over again and start from scratch.

Wow that sounds worrying. I guess you feel like you have to be constantly on guard?

One of the things that I make sure I have in my wt control process is that it has to be (relatively) effortless. Almost like it's a natural thing to do or be. Like brushing teeth before going to bed. So, that's how my eating pattern is right now. The eating is balanced with the amount of activity.

My effort isn't spent on counting, controlling calories. It's spent on shaping my eating behavior. Identifying, resolving destructive eating issues. :)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Getting lean enough to bulk, bulking, and then not having the drive to actually cut. So now I'm just kinda chunky again. I long for that moment I was really tiny before the bulk. But I'm much stronger so there's that.

Can relate!!! Everyone says gaining muscle is harder than cutting fat but it is SO MUCH MORE FUN that when it comes time to cut, the will is lacking.
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Not really understanding what this whole "cup" measurement was and how it related to solids. I assumed it meant something between a tea cup and a coffee cup. Was so shocked when I picked up a measuring jug with cup measurements in the US, gah!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Getting lean enough to bulk, bulking, and then not having the drive to actually cut. So now I'm just kinda chunky again. I long for that moment I was really tiny before the bulk. But I'm much stronger so there's that.

Can relate!!! Everyone says gaining muscle is harder than cutting fat but it is SO MUCH MORE FUN that when it comes time to cut, the will is lacking.

Yep. I had a BLAST in the gym while I was bulking. Then when it was time to cut I felt like...what's the point of this squat? What's the point of accessory work now? Snooze.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

I'm not putting weight back on either. It is easier for me to keep it off than gain 5 pounds over the holidays and then have to spend 5 months January to May working it off after the New Year when one loses as slowly as I do. I'm going for prevention and maintenance this holiday season rather than a gain. I lose weight most easily from May to Aug. In the Autumn & Wintertime I slow way down.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I'm not putting weight back on either. It is easier for me to keep it off than gain 5 pounds over the holidays and then have to spend 5 months January to May working it off after the New Year when one loses as slowly as I do. I'm going for prevention and maintenance this holiday season rather than a gain. I lose weight most easily from May to Aug. In the Autumn & Wintertime I slow way down.

Yeah same here, winter has just finished here and i put on 6lbs. But i know it'll drop off pretty easily when the weather starts warming up.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I added 100 grams of tuna and forgot that entry didn't have grams and had kilograms instead. I often add food fast without even looking at the calories then look at calories left in the evening to decide what to eat. So I was pretty hungry and couldn't for the life of me understand how I could have eaten that much, and it turned out I had 860 calories logged in tuna.
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thinking I could do low carb high fat (when my wife is a sugar holic:) It's not a total blunder I just have to figure out a balance - lchf has made me more aware of easy sugar, like the doughnut, cookie, and pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting I ate today. I was super aware of what I was doing.
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    BTW, my wife is super hot and fit!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I just couldn't seem to identify rice, pasta and bread calories. I would always think of rice as 100 calories a cup :(.

Bread as 100 calories a piece. Pasta, two cups 200 calories cooked.

This last time I finally got it and its really helped a lot.

I also overestimated how many calories are burned by minutes of walking.

These 2 things combined made weight loss a huge mystery to me in past years.

Of course I'm over all that now with mfp.