Breakfast = most important meal of the day?????

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
Curious as to where all this "breakfast is the most important meal of the day garbage is coming from", any thoughts? My personal opinion is that it is just a marketing campaign propagated by breakfast industry see Kellogg's, eat smart breakfast, General Mills etc etc....

It seems to be all over the threads lately, and every time I read it, it is like a nail being driven into my eye...well maybe not that bad, but you get what I am saying...

But I would be curious to see the responses all this..

oh, and if you are going to try and say that "breakfast stokes metabolism", or "it is the most important meal of the day" at least try and back that *kitten* up with some kind of study and don't post something from "yahoo answers", or some other garbage site......

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It is for me because I'm HUNGRY in the morning. I love, love, love breakfast, sometimes I even have it twice.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It is for me because I'm HUNGRY in the morning. I love, love, love breakfast, sometimes I even have it twice.

that was not really the question ..but thanks for dropping in ...
  • Sweetie1429
    Sweetie1429 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, lunch dinner all three are important to me lol! Our blood glucose is low in mornings so i think that's why breakfast is important.
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    You and I got into this debate yesterday lol. Fortunately, I saw your point. My body is so accustomed to being fueled first thing in the morning that if I ever tried to skip breakfast, I'd be dying by 10am. I need a substantial meal to provide energy for MY body to power through my morning.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Wow, you sound like a pleasant person...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I looked at the first two and they do not really get into the guts of the study....or am I missing the link to the whole thing?
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

I know it wasn't really the question, but the debate you are trying to start is so predictable. Who cares if other people think breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The myth was probably started by the breakfast cereal companies. My anecdotal evidence that breakfast is important is working in a middle school for 10 years, kids can't focus on their school work if they haven't eaten.
  • ndj1979
    Options

you got anything else to contribute to this, or you just in to bash me?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I know it wasn't really the question, but the debate you are trying to start is so predictable. Who cares if other people think breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The myth was probably started by the breakfast cereal companies. My anecdotal evidence that breakfast is important is working in a middle school for 10 years, kids can't focus on their school work if they haven't eaten.

if you don't care why are you commenting?

I am just curious to see the responses...

I skipped breakfast for about 8 months and had no problem with concentration..

how do all the people who do IF focus then?
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options

Not going to lie, I thought this when I first encountered you in a previous thread. You're a bit intimidating, especially to new users like myself.
  • TyTy76
    Options

I'm not bashing you.
    I don't get why you're being an *kitten* to everyone who posts in the thread.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Not going to lie, I thought this when I first encountered you in a previous thread. You're a bit intimidating, especially to new users like myself.

me, intimidating??? Na, I'm as lovable as a teddy bear...you just got to get used to me...
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options

me, intimidating??? Na, I'm as lovable as a teddy bear...you just got to get used to me...

I guess I just don't do well with people with strong opinions!!! lol.
  • TyTy76
    Options

You got proof of that?
    Or I am just supposed to take your word for it?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is super important to me personally as if I don't eat within that first hour or so of the day I feel really lethargic and like I'm going to be sick. I literally cannot function. When I do have breakfast I have to eat things that are quite filling because I then can't eat again until 4 hours after breakfast. Everyone is different.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I'm an IF'er, so I don't believe anyone has to eat breakfast.
    I don't really care if someone chooses to though...for whatever reason.
    I do believe that the "myths" of the benefits of eating breakfast are ingrained in most people...from various sources.
    ...but so are many other diet myths.
    I honestly don't believe eating breakfast is harmful either.

I don't know if this was your intent, but you are coming off as a teensy bit angry. lol

We're neighbors by the way. Hi! :glasses:
  • tonafoto
    tonafoto Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think we have to get rid of the breakfast, lunch and dinner idea. It is proven (ask any bodybuilder) that 5 or 6 small meals a day speeds up your metabolism. After reading Tom Venuto's 'Burn the fat, feed the muscle' two months ago, I started this change in feeding myself.

You know, before I always had a few 'hungry' moments, and I started to snack, even after dinner. Candy, icecream or a cake.
    From the moment I changed my habits, I never had a hungry moment anymore.
    I eat 5 or 6 times a day, small meals and never eat more than 2000 Kcal a day.
    Offcourse I do my workouts 5 times a week.

I lost without diet or uncomfortable feelings, 10 pounds since then.
    I think I lost even more fat, because I built up muscles also.

So the answer to your question: don't do breakfast, just have your first meal of the day.

I really, really advise everybody to read Venuto's ebook. It is my food and workout bible and it serves me well.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i think most people eat breakfast and consider it the most important meal simply for the fact it is usually the first meal after your longest fasting of the day, hence the name break-fast