Breakfast = most important meal of the day?????

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^^ Pretty much this.

Now whether or not this is where the phrase originated, I don't know -- but these studies and others like it are the reason that this persists. Studies that don't control for total energy intake and look at either correlation or behavioral aspects of dieting/etc.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just eat when I'm hungry but I've noticed the last couple weeks I've been having massive breakfasts because I'm running around at work until dinner time and only have time for quick snacks, and my mood has been way better, I'm feeling more satisfied and I'm not snacking as much.

That's just me, though. I don't put much stock in those little cliche "tips" because they all contradict each other anyways.
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I guess it comes from the word breakfast ... literally to break a fast after a night's sleep?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I guess it comes from the word breakfast ... literally to break a fast after a night's sleep?

eh - not so sure about that one...not sure what breaking a fast has to do with "most important meal of the day"
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just realized I might not've addressed the main question.

I don't think that cereal is a balanced breakfast, and I agree, there probably is a lot of stock those companies have in the marketing of breakfast being the most important meal of the day.

I do have cereal in the mornings, but I also have eggs and fruit, The commercials always conveniently just toss "PART of a balanced breakfast" in the end, knowing most people will only eat the sugar-o's as their whole breakfast and think they're being healthy.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person - not everyone likes to have breakfast, it's too early. As for me, I like to because it helps me to start my day off right since I have hypoglycemia. I eat a fairly bigger breakfast and then have a mid morning snack as well. As for it boosting metabolism, I'm not so sure about that.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think it depends on the person - not everyone likes to have breakfast, it's too early. As for me, I like to because it helps me to start my day off right since I have hypoglycemia. I eat a fairly bigger breakfast and then have a mid morning snack as well. As for it boosting metabolism, I'm not so sure about that.

I get that it depends on the person..

i am more curious as to where the "most important meal of the day" comes from....
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    To answer your question: it's generally thought that most people who skip breakfast mindlessly snack later. If you're not hungry in the morning, or mindFULLY snack... that's all good.

Personally, I love breakfast. It's usually my most caloric meal of the day, and I am totally happy with that. Haters gonna hate.

EDIT: Ah- so it's the "most important meal of the day" because lunch and dinner times are a bit more flexible. You can schedule one earlier or later, and thereby avoid a snack binge. Breakfast, on the other hand... well, you haven't eaten for many hours at that point, and for most people, when hunger hits it's going to hit HARD.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    ok lets just end all the argument, and lets put it this way the first meal of your day is the most important :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ok lets just end all the argument, and lets put it this way the first meal of your day is the most important :)

I get what you are saying..

I am just trying to drill down on where the breakfast as most important meal of the day comes from ...

If you are saying that whatever you eat fist thing, is going to be the most important meal of the day, I get that...

why end the argument..this is fun, right?
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I always thought it had to do with children and their need for food regularly because of growth etc.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    This isn't the scientific answer you wanted but one thing I observed is when I over eat at night, I'm not hungry in the mornings. When I don't over eat at night, which is what I prefer because I don't like to go to bed on a full stomach, I am starving in the morning.

1. Usually your blood sugar is lower in the morning

2. I work out in the mornings, do heavy lifting, and cardio. My body needs a well balanced meal, especially carbs and protein.

3. I'd rather get my energy boost from food rather than coffee

4. If I don't eat Breakfast I can't think straight and I'm starving 2 hours after I leave the house.

Now if you're looking for some scientific reasoning on the subject, feel free to do some research and get back to us with your unbiased findings, I'd love to know what you dig up.

I think people feel its the most important meal because it gives you energy to start your day and most people are more active in the beginning of the day than towards the evening and need more calories again for energy
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your initial assumption is correct, it has to do with Kellogg and Graham (as people, though, not just industry). They were all about getting your "moral fiber" and cereal is a breakfast food. No proof or anything, just throwing out my theory :-p
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Ha, and after reading your post, I see what the real question is. Where is the story of a good breakfast coming from?

Well, let me take you back to the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. From that moment on, society needed large amounts of labour, of workers. These people worked in the factories etc, and made long hours, little wages and 6 days a week, 12 hours a day or more.
    So how these folks started the day? Not with a cracker, I can tell you that.

They needed large doses of protien, like eggs and bacon. Also white beans and bread for the immediate energy. And if you started your day with a 1500 Kcal breakfast, then you could hang on to noon or so.

Also, before the IR, people lived more in relationship with rise and dawn of the sun, because there was no (gas or electric) light outside. They ate when it was conviened, and had there meals during the whole day.

During the IR, the foodhabits changed, because 3 meals a day was better to organise, and cheaper, because the employers did not lose any time (money) because their workingforce had to eat.

So, hope this answer can satisfy you a bit

Greetings

Great answer!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Regardless of where it came from, this advice belongs in the garbage bin..along with the "5 meals a day!!!"and "omg omg starvation mode after skipping one meal" myths.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of breakfast being most important was probably a slogan used more recently, but the idea behind that slogan is not new.

Long before cereal companies were pushing their products, people were used to eating heavy breakfast, not just here, but throughout the world, because after having eaten dinner probably around 6 or 7 then sleeping for 8 or 9 hours, that's about 12 to 14 hours of fasting, and most people back then would have had a heavy day of work ahead of them, and would probably not be able to perform without a good breakfast.

Don't forget that agriculture and other types of physical labor were the norm and a good meal would have been necessary. The sitting behind a desk type of job is fairly new in history and would account for why some can get away with not really needing a heavy meal first thing in the morning.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything particularly special about traditional breakfast. I think there's an argument to be made for breaking a fast well, whenever or however you do that, but that's not the same thing (quite) as "breakfast." I also don't think making that argument means that the meal you break your fast with is the MOST important -- only that you should strive to make it a good meal to replenish yourself.

For me, lunch is my most "important" meal of the day and dinner is my most "enjoyable/substantial" meal of the day. Breakfast is usually very light or nonexistent. Bodies vary; fast times vary; responses to fast vary; daily routines vary... I mean, my lunch is most important to me because it's (usually) closest to my heaviest workout. Someone who works out at 5AM and then eats breakfast might consider that their most important meal. Someone who doesn't get hungry until 4PM would consider dinner their most important meal. Etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    I think we have to get rid of the breakfast, lunch and dinner idea. It is proven (ask any bodybuilder) that 5 or 6 small meals a day speeds up your metabolism. After reading Tom Venuto's 'Burn the fat, feed the muscle' two months ago, I started this change in feeding myself.
    Bodybuilder here for 30 years..............it's broscience. Show me a peer reviewed clinical study that is does this because I'd love to read it.
    You know, before I always had a few 'hungry' moments, and I started to snack, even after dinner. Candy, icecream or a cake.
    From the moment I changed my habits, I never had a hungry moment anymore.
    I eat 5 or 6 times a day, small meals and never eat more than 2000 Kcal a day.
    Offcourse I do my workouts 5 times a week.

I lost without diet or uncomfortable feelings, 10 pounds since then.
    I think I lost even more fat, because I built up muscles also.

So the answer to your question: don't do breakfast, just have your first meal of the day.

I really, really advise everybody to read Venuto's ebook. It is my food and workout bible and it serves me well.
    I will agree that first meal should be labeled as first meal. Personally (along with alot of other IIFYMers) I eat no more than 3 times a day and have maintained weight between 180-190lbs for about 25 year now. Eating is usually habitual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think we have to get rid of the breakfast, lunch and dinner idea. It is proven (ask any bodybuilder) that 5 or 6 small meals a day speeds up your metabolism. After reading Tom Venuto's 'Burn the fat, feed the muscle' two months ago, I started this change in feeding myself.
    Bodybuilder here for 30 years..............it's broscience. Show me a peer reviewed clinical study that is does this because I'd love to read it.
    You know, before I always had a few 'hungry' moments, and I started to snack, even after dinner. Candy, icecream or a cake.
    From the moment I changed my habits, I never had a hungry moment anymore.
    I eat 5 or 6 times a day, small meals and never eat more than 2000 Kcal a day.
    Offcourse I do my workouts 5 times a week.

I lost without diet or uncomfortable feelings, 10 pounds since then.
    I think I lost even more fat, because I built up muscles also.

So the answer to your question: don't do breakfast, just have your first meal of the day.

I really, really advise everybody to read Venuto's ebook. It is my food and workout bible and it serves me well.
    I will agree that first meal should be labeled as first meal. Personally (along with alot of other IIFYMers) I eat no more than 3 times a day and have maintained weight between 180-190lbs for about 25 year now. Eating is usually habitual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Minus the 15 lbs quoted in your banner that is? :-p