Breakfast = most important meal of the day?????

Options

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hey ndj, I love breakfast. Love, love, love it. Except I usually eat it at lunch. :-p
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Curious as to where all this "breakfast is the most important meal of the day garbage is coming from", any thoughts? My personal opinion is that it is just a marketing campaign propagated by breakfast industry see Kellogg's, eat smart breakfast, General Mills etc etc....

It seems to be all over the threads lately, and every time I read it, it is like a nail being driven into my eye...well maybe not that bad, but you get what I am saying...

But I would be curious to see the responses all this..

oh, and if you are going to try and say that "breakfast stokes metabolism", or "it is the most important meal of the day" at least try and back that *kitten* up with some kind of study and don't post something from "yahoo answers", or some other garbage site......

I can't start my day without breakfast. As soon as I wake up I just need to eat something. I feel like I can't do anything until I eat something. But i know many people who can wake up, not feel hungry and start their day well and just eat lunch as their first meal.
  • jdallas69
    jdallas69 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yup
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Oh Lord you guys and your "Thats Broscience Dude" as if no one has ever conducted a study on breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Here are some studies on the subject....take note I already posted my opinion, but the "Thats broscience" thing is just as annoying as you think "broscience" is.

http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2013-06-06/research/nursing-study-finds-breakfast-indeed-most-important-meal

http://www.amerymedicalcenter.org/amery2.nsf/View/breakfast

does web MD count?
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/many-benefits-breakfast

http://blogs.app.com/wellness/blog/2013/05/17/breakfast-is-it-really-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day/

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/06/17/u-study-breakfast-could-decrease-diabetes-risk/

Are those enough studies, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to dig up if you are truly that interested. Personally I say to each there own, but I do feel its important. What you choose to do with your body is your business, just don't assume its "broscience" without any actual scientific basis behind it.
  • SRHelicity
    SRHelicity Posts: 36
    Options
    Some may find this relevant:

Why does breakfast make me hungry? http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

Why does breakfast make me hungry? http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Just thought I should mention this is not a scientific study, if anything this is more "broscience" by definition.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The most important meal of the day is the one where you get your nutrients. So all of them whether you decide to eat one meal or ten. There is no metabolism "jump start" just because it's been 24 to 6 hours since food was last in your system. Eat your meals at the times you feel are appropriate for you and in the quantities and qualities that will aid you in whatever health and fitness goals you are working towards.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I started the IF group on here. Today, I ate breakfast in the morning. OMG! Why? Because I was hungry. Hit total macros for the day is far more important than when they are consumed. Breakfast, lunch, dinner or whatever other meals you have.

People in the IF group get hung up on the perfect amount of hours to fast.

(some) People in the general forums get hung up on not eating often enough.

Both majoring in the minors.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Breakfast is the meal that "breaks the fast" of sleeping, therefore it's important because it refuels your body after fasting through the night of your body recovering and rejuvenating itself. So it's good to have something nutritious since your stomach is empty and your body lacking fuel from repairing itself in your sleep :) At least that's why I believe breakfast to be an important meal that shouldn't be skipped. As for "the most important meal of the day," I believe that to be an exaggerated marketing phrase based off the reasoning I mentioned
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of breakfast being most important was probably a slogan used more recently, but the idea behind that slogan is not new.

Long before cereal companies were pushing their products, people were used to eating heavy breakfast, not just here, but throughout the world, because after having eaten dinner probably around 6 or 7 then sleeping for 8 or 9 hours, that's about 12 to 14 hours of fasting, and most people back then would have had a heavy day of work ahead of them, and would probably not be able to perform without a good breakfast.

Don't forget that agriculture and other types of physical labor were the norm and a good meal would have been necessary. The sitting behind a desk type of job is fairly new in history and would account for why some can get away with not really needing a heavy meal first thing in the morning.

this makes sense to me ...a left over from the agricultural days..? I can see that...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Just thought I should mention this is not a scientific study, if anything this is more "broscience" by definition.

did you even read the article? He clearly posts references, studies, etc to back up the claim ..I am not sure how it "broscience" when it is backed up by research...
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think it's all marketing... Some days I dont even eat my first meal until 3 hours after I wake up. By then it wouldn't be a breakfast item... Ha
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    How have you have a breakfast thread and no bacon?

Where's the bacon?

Mmmmm......bacon.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, lunch dinner all three are important to me lol! Our blood glucose is low in mornings so i think that's why breakfast is important.
    Why would your blood glucose be low? Your body strictly regulates blood glucose levels, unless you are seriously ill (diabetes, pcos, etc.) The vast majority of humans on this planet will never have to worry about low blood glucose, EVER. That's what gluconeogenesis, glucagon, and stored body fat are for.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I hate breakfast. a couple bits of toast with pb, or a crumpet, or some special k is about all I can manage. at that hour of the day, eating sucks!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, the majority of people lived off of the land. They got up at the butt crack of dawn to work and kept doing physical labor until dusk. Breakfast was a very important meal of the day, in order to be able to endure the hard physical labor to take care of the land. I don't know if this is answering your question, but it is a thought.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options

did you even read the article? He clearly posts references, studies, etc to back up the claim ..I am not sure how it "broscience" when it is backed up by research...
    Theories and hypothesis are just opinion after all, and considering she responded in less than 10 minutes, she either understood everything that was hypothesized and deemed it broscience, without any scientific reasoning or she didn't read it at all, and figured because it's a blog and whatever was been said wasn't in a scientific journal would be considered broscience...........I suspect she didn't have a clue what was actually said otherwise I'm sure there's lots of points that could be discussed in a scientific manner like most nutritionist/dietitians do when and if there's conflicting information.....basically I wouldn't put much credence in that response.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, lunch dinner all three are important to me lol! Our blood glucose is low in mornings so i think that's why breakfast is important.
    Why would your blood glucose be low? Your body strictly regulates blood glucose levels, unless you are seriously ill (diabetes, pcos, etc.) The vast majority of humans on this planet will never have to worry about low blood glucose, EVER. That's what gluconeogenesis, glucagon, and stored body fat are for.
    Also studies show higher blood sugar in the morning and it's refer to as Dawn Phenomenon.