Any anime fans in here?

Options

Replies

43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Or am I the only one? Somehow I feel like it's just me.

But if I'm not feel free to drop some good anime's to check out, the last show I watched was Death Parade and I'm looking to start watching a new series.

Tatami Galaxy is one of the most critically acclaimed out there. You know an anime is good when /a/ universally likes it. It's by the legendary director Masaaki Yuasa so it has a really distinctive visual design and story progression. I'm not sure how to describe it other than it's a really inspirational short series (12 eps, I think) that's good to watch if you feel like your life is stuck in a rut. It's about a guy who's just entering university and he's thinking about what extra-curricular club to join. In every episode he chooses a different club, things fall apart, he moans about how "it wasn't the life he wanted and he would've done things differently", and then the clock turns back and he does it all over again. Somewhat spoilerish: at the climax/end of the series, after constant failures, he gives up on the world and resigns himself to his 2x3 tatami bedroom to become a recluse. He gets trapped there and needs to escape and sees reflections of his past selves zipping in and out of time. If you look closely in the background of the eps while you're watching, you can actually see other versions of him, but you're never going to notice on the first watch-through because the subs move at a lightning fast pace.

Kaiba is by the same director and despite it's cutesy appearance, it's *kitten* depressing. It's set in a dystopian sci-fi universe unlike any other I've ever seen. Most people's brains/memories have been converted into these conical chip devices, so they can swap between different bodies.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is utterly indescribable and that's what's so great about it. It's also extremely long-running and influential.
  • shiroyashida24
    shiroyashida24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ive been into anime for awhile now. I watch it on netflix all the time. If your looking for some new material id recommend Blue Exorcist, Sword Art Online, and Durarara. Theyre all on Netflix and theyre all amazing! Also, bonus! Theres gonna be a Sword Art Online mobir called SAO: Ordinal Scale coming out in the US this March! I cannot wait! Also if you want some anime type movies I recommend any of Hayao Miyazaki's films
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I forgot to mention my all-time favorite anime:

Dragonball/Dragonball Z
    Have you watched Dragon Ball Super? I'd skip the first two arcs and watch the movies Battle of the Gods and Resurrection of F (a lot weaker than BoGs, but still pretty nice), but the following tournament arc had some nice fights. The most recent arc that just wrapped up would definitely be worth a watch.

Every time I'm about to start Super i find something else to distract me, I think after I finish Your Lie In April on Netflix I'll finally give it a fair shot. I actually went to a theater to see Resurrection F and it was awesome to see on a big screen
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Ive been into anime for awhile now. I watch it on netflix all the time. If your looking for some new material id recommend Blue Exorcist, Sword Art Online, and Durarara. Theyre all on Netflix and theyre all amazing! Also, bonus! Theres gonna be a Sword Art Online mobir called SAO: Ordinal Scale coming out in the US this March! I cannot wait! Also if you want some anime type movies I recommend any of Hayao Miyazaki's films

Durarara was awesome
  • Cerealsensei
    Options
    Ajin-anime-2nd-season-two-netflix-release.jpg

Didn't know until my brother told me but season 2 of Ajin is up on Netflix now. I haven't watched any action based anime's lately so I know this will give me my fill.
  • Cerealsensei
    Options
    What are some of you guys favorite anime fights?

For me this will forever be my all time favorite fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQSmVNoDGE
  • UnderGroundMusic
    UnderGroundMusic Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Blood-C is my all time favorite.
  • llarian
    llarian Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Samurai Champloo is and will always be my favorite anime. Currently working my way through Samurai Flamenco and Chi's Sweet Home. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu was my favorite anime from last year.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I have nothing new to watch this season except for Little Witch Academia. Is anyone here looking forward to anything coming up?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    MadMaxV8 wrote: »
    I just don't get anime. Every pic I see of it, the dang character has their mouth open screaming.
    As with most things it depends on what your initial exposure is. I've found that it only takes one good recommendation to get people hooked on anime.
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I have nothing new to watch this season except for Little Witch Academia. Is anyone here looking forward to anything coming up?

- Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation (!!!)
    - Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-bu
    - Masamune-kun no Revenge
    - Kuzu no Honkai
    - Youjo Senki
    - Days OVA

Those are the anime I currently have my eye on, though I won't check any of them out until 1) I've finished some of the series I'm currently watching (Re-Zero, Yuri!!! On Ice, Boku no Hero Academia, Amaama to Inazuma, Bungou Stray Dogs, etc) and 2) at least six episodes have aired.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    OMG been an anime fan since 15!!! I specially enjoy yuri, horror and drama, if you wanna have a MFP friend to talk about anime or stuff add me!!! omg woo.

Ok I calm down now
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    logiatype wrote: »
    I just don't get anime. Every pic I see of it, the dang character has their mouth open screaming.
    As with most things it depends on what your initial exposure is. I've found that it only takes one good recommendation to get people hooked on anime.

This. I definitely wouldn't dismiss it until you've sampled one or two series belonging to a genre you're into. A friend of mine was adamantly against it as well until I recommended something that I figured he'd like. Prior to that his only experience with anime had been what his brother had roped him into watching (comedic slice-of-life ecchi anime) which he didn't care for at all. I got him started on Ergo Proxy, a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk anime w/ heaps of mystery and philosophical undertones, and he's been hooked ever since.

TL;DR - don't knock it 'til you try it. ;)
  • Cerealsensei
    Options

Anime-Scream-GIF.gif

lol it's definitely not for everyone. But I'd say to find something that it's in a genre you're interested in. There's a show out there for every body. Normally the two anime's i suggest to people who don't normally watch are Deathnote and Psycho Pass because they both carry themselves seriously and don't have many of the stereotypical tropes that i think turn a lot of people off from anime.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Psycho Pass is great but if you like weird stuff Excel Saga is what you are looking for <3
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I liked the first season of Psycho Pass.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to watching the first episode of Dragon Ball Super in less than 24 hours ☺

The Dragon Ball series has always held a special place in my heart ever since I was a kid which is why I waited specifically for the English dub.
  • Cerealsensei
    Options
    just finished season 2 of Ajin on netflix. I cant say i like it better than the first season, but it's no too far behind. Sato is still as vicious as ever.