Question about all calories being equal

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I suppose we are all on MFP to learn new skills for getting fit and healthy by working out, losing weight, and then maintaining and keeping it off.
  • DebSozo
    edited October 2016
    Options
    96% of people who go on energy reduced programs will gain 3% weight back within a year of stopping the program. That's why diets typically don't work.

Ugh. I feel really bad for people who work so hard and then gain it all back. It must be heartbreaking. I wish that people weren't taught the wrong ways to lose weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    96% of people who go on energy reduced programs will gain 3% weight back within a year of stopping the program. That's why diets typically don't work.

Ugh. I feel really bad for people who work so hard and then gain it all back. It must be heartbreaking. I wish that people weren't taught the wrong ways to lose weight.

The ultimate problem is, there is no way to know which way of dieting is right for a specific person. Yes, the basic principle is to eat less calories. The hard part if figuring out which diet addresses your psychological, behavioral, medical and physical needs. So unfortunately, you have to diet wrong, and keep on trying until you find something that works. Honestly, how many of us have gone through several types of diets and workouts before we found something that worked? I know I have done IF, paleo, and now flexible dieting. I also know it's been a struggle for me for years to get to a low enough body fat to have abs because for the past 6 years, my wife has been going through a roller coaster of medical issues. And it took me some time to be able to get down to 175. And I have been here 7 years. Hell, @Helloitsdan and I used to tear up the forums on the old system. The point is, there are a lot of factors that can contribute to weight gain and loss. And in no way does that dictate someones knowledge. Personally, if someone has something interesting to say, it may be something worthwhile to listen to.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Is your friend overweight? (Or her "nutritionist?") If so, I wouldn't listen to a word she says.

If you're obese or overweight, count your calories and assume a calorie is a calorie.

Don't listen to fat people? lol - that's your advice. Note we can't see a picture of you so how do we know to trust what you say? ;) (Your post made me chuckle mate)

If people know what they're doing they wouldn't be fat. That would be my take on it.

I've lost 90+lbs. I am still fat. I guess I don't know what am doing or talking about when it comes to weight loss....

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't have gained 90lbs+

I think that's ridiculous.

I never said that people couldn't learn. You mean that people gain fat on purpose? What I said was that at the point (many years?) when people gain 100+ lbs they obviously have no idea about CICO.

Actually, that's exactly what you were saying. You were saying to someone who has lost 90+lbs that she didn't know what she was doing.

Unequivocally not. My comment was not related in any way to when someone has LOST weight.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My overeating story is nowhere near as moving and powerful as others'. I have gone through some hard times, but I'm not exactly an emotional eater (I don't eat for comfort, I eat for pleasure) so I don't think it had anything to do with why I became obese. I simply love food and love eating. I knew exactly why I was gaining weight and what I could do about it but decided it wasn't worth it at the time since I was happy just the way I was.

I knew it would come back and bite me healthwise, but decided to take a chance and cross that bridge later. As soon as my blood work started suffering, and especially after my blood sugar results came back too high I decided it was time to take action, and I did. I had never really dieted before this time so the dieting culture and misinformation was just something I observed as an outsider every now and then, and didn't really partake enough to be swayed away from what I already knew about calories. And that was that. 102 lbs down so far.

I'm not gonna lie, this was a steep learning process in beginning learning how portions looked, what foods filled me up and what strategies worked for me, but I did not go in completely ignorant about the premise of CICO. I only lacked first hand practical knowledge and experience.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I blame the internet.
    Too much information.
    Too many points of view.

When I initially lost my weight, I learned quickly that extreme calorie cutting wasn't right. Then critical thinking kicked in.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The ultimate problem is, there is no way to know which way of dieting is right for a specific person. Yes, the basic principle is to eat less calories. The hard part if figuring out which diet addresses your psychological, behavioral, medical and physical needs. So unfortunately, you have to diet wrong, and keep on trying until you find something that works. Honestly, how many of us have gone through several types of diets and workouts before we found something that worked? I know I have done IF, paleo, and now flexible dieting. I also know it's been a struggle for me for years to get to a low enough body fat to have abs because for the past 6 years, my wife has been going through a roller coaster of medical issues. And it took me some time to be able to get down to 175. And I have been here 7 years. Hell, @Helloitsdan and I used to tear up the forums on the old system. The point is, there are a lot of factors that can contribute to weight gain and loss. And in no way does that dictate someones knowledge. Personally, if someone has something interesting to say, it may be something worthwhile to listen to.

You should see the new In Place of a Roadmap 2017 @psulemon .
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Respectfully it seems like you're implying that weight regain is caused by not losing it "the right way" to begin with, and IF that's what you're saying I think this isn't necessarily correct.

^ Agreed.

Behavior is complex and losing and maintaining that weight loss is phenomenally challenging. No amount of IIFYM or calorie counting is going to address underlying factors that influence food consumption, bodyweight regulation, activity related factors.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Respectfully it seems like you're implying that weight regain is caused by not losing it "the right way" to begin with, and IF that's what you're saying I think this isn't necessarily correct.

^ Agreed.

Behavior is complex and losing and maintaining that weight loss is phenomenally challenging. No amount of IIFYM or calorie counting is going to address underlying factors that influence food consumption, bodyweight regulation, activity related factors.

Ego Depletion working against you.
    And everyone wants autonomy but don't have a clue how to get there.
  • SideSteel
    Options

^ Agreed.

Ego depletion has actually come under heavy fire in the psych literature just for what it's worth. To the point that the validity of it is being heavily called into question.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I actually don't think how you diet prevents people from regaining or that people regain only because they were taught the wrong way to diet. That seems silly to me. People regain because there are reasons they tend to overeat (pleasure in food, emotional issues and misusing food, they become more sedentary and have trouble adjusting, they don't want to think about how much they are eating, whatever). It doesn't mean they are not knowledgeable (it may mean they don't have a handle on their emotional issues if those played a role -- that was true for me, yes) or that they did it wrong. Nor is it necessarily tragic or mean that their work was wasted.

I lost weight the first time in all the recommended ways -- not an extreme deficit or fad, ate plenty since I was quite active, really focused on eating healthy and learning to cook from whole foods, changed my life to some extent (stopped focusing so much on the kinds of wining and dining that my job permitted, learned to balance job stress with cooking and working out and healthy eating). Yeah, I kind of did it to an extreme, ultimately, which is an issue of mine, but on the whole it was worthwhile, I learned a lot, and I knew how weight loss worked.

And after maintaining for about 5 years, I regained.

There are reasons why (an emotional crash and burn, becoming sedentary, dealing badly with stress, depression, bigtime struggle with alcohol), but when finally getting to the point where I was ready to get my weight in control again, I didn't feel like I had to relearn stuff about how to lose weight or that that part would be hard at all. I think it would have been kind of silly for me to assume that I must have done it wrong last time and needed to find some new way.

(MFP actually was a new way, but for me the new parts -- the forums, the feed, the logging -- was all about keeping myself interested and making it fun. The fundamentals, getting back to what had been working for me before, and eating less/moving more within the context of a normal, healthy, enjoyable diet, was what had worked for years, and also, looking back, when I was growing up, when I had no weight issues.)

Being mindful and conscious of what leads me to want to overeat is one thing I'm trying to figure out now, as well as what to do about it and also how to make sure I keep leading an active life.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I actually don't think how you diet prevents people from regaining or that people regain only because they were taught the wrong way to diet. That seems silly to me. People regain because there are reasons they tend to overeat (pleasure in food, emotional issues and misusing food, they become more sedentary and have trouble adjusting, they don't want to think about how much they are eating, whatever). It doesn't mean they are not knowledgeable (it may mean they don't have a handle on their emotional issues if those played a role -- that was true for me, yes) or that they did it wrong. Nor is it necessarily tragic or mean that their work was wasted.

I lost weight the first time in all the recommended ways -- not an extreme deficit or fad, ate plenty since I was quite active, really focused on eating healthy and learning to cook from whole foods, changed my life to some extent (stopped focusing so much on the kinds of wining and dining that my job permitted, learned to balance job stress with cooking and working out and healthy eating). Yeah, I kind of did it to an extreme, ultimately, which is an issue of mine, but on the whole it was worthwhile, I learned a lot, and I knew how weight loss worked.

And after maintaining for about 5 years, I regained.

There are reasons why (an emotional crash and burn, becoming sedentary, dealing badly with stress, depression, bigtime struggle with alcohol), but when finally getting to the point where I was ready to get my weight in control again, I didn't feel like I had to relearn stuff about how to lose weight or that that part would be hard at all. I think it would have been kind of silly for me to assume that I must have done it wrong last time and needed to find some new way.

(MFP actually was a new way, but for me the new parts -- the forums, the feed, the logging -- was all about keeping myself interested and making it fun. The fundamentals, getting back to what had been working for me before, and eating less/moving more within the context of a normal, healthy, enjoyable diet, was what had worked for years, and also, looking back, when I was growing up, when I had no weight issues.)

Being mindful and conscious of what leads me to want to overeat is one thing I'm trying to figure out now, as well as what to do about it and also how to make sure I keep leading an active life.

Great post
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

^ Agreed.

Ego depletion has actually come under heavy fire in the psych literature just for what it's worth. To the point that the validity of it is being heavily called into question.

It's simply a model and should only be used as a tool if the task calls for it.
    In other words when I'm working with a mother who's up at 3am to get ready for the day and she complains of nighttime snacking issues, I'll pull up Ego Depletion and explain the concept.
    Now she understands that other people have been through what she's going through and we can work on triggering events and how to install positive habits in plave of the negative habits.

I'll also use Self Determination Theory to build autonomy.

EDT is simply a tool that works when applied to the right client.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    We digressed
  • SideSteel
    Options

^ Agreed.

It's simply a model and should only be used as a tool if the task calls for it.
    In other words when I'm working with a mother who's up at 3am to get ready for the day and she complains of nighttime snacking issues, I'll pull up Ego Depletion and explain the concept.
    Now she understands that other people have been through what she's going through and we can work on triggering events and how to install positive habits in plave of the negative habits.

I'll also use Self Determination Theory to build autonomy.

EDT is simply a tool that works when applied to the right client.

I'm not questioning your use of it, I'm just stating that the entire concept is now being heavily questioned in the psych literature from where it originated and this might be relevant in how it's relayed to a client.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Is your friend overweight? (Or her "nutritionist?") If so, I wouldn't listen to a word she says.

If you're obese or overweight, count your calories and assume a calorie is a calorie.

Don't listen to fat people? lol - that's your advice. Note we can't see a picture of you so how do we know to trust what you say? ;) (Your post made me chuckle mate)

If people know what they're doing they wouldn't be fat. That would be my take on it.

I've lost 90+lbs. I am still fat. I guess I don't know what am doing or talking about when it comes to weight loss....

That's daft.

We are talking about "knowing what you are doing" in terms of losing weight, not in terms of never gaining it. People who have never gained weight in the first place have no personal experience of losing it. If you have never had to consistently eat less than your appetite tells you to and learn all the techniques to modify that appetite in order to lose weight, you do not have the relevant experience to advise someone else who is in that situation. Never having had a problematic appetite in the first place makes you less qualified to advise, not more.

If I want advice on how to get back on a horse, I'm not going to ask someone who's never fallen off.

Personally, I would rather follow the lifestyle example of a fit person who never gained much weight in the first place rather than an "experienced" obese person.

I'd want to take lessons from someone who never "fell off the horse" so to speak. Hopefully then, I wouldn't fall off to begin with.

To point out, some of our most knowledgeable members on this board, and some of the most liked and linked threads on this board are all from former overweight people. Personally, i know a lot of ripped people that dont know anything and a lot of over weight people who know a ton. Hell half the people i have set up on plans and worked with them on training are more ripped than me. Apparently i am able to motivate others more than myself.

LOL we are our own worst enemy..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

That's daft.

We are talking about "knowing what you are doing" in terms of losing weight, not in terms of never gaining it. People who have never gained weight in the first place have no personal experience of losing it. If you have never had to consistently eat less than your appetite tells you to and learn all the techniques to modify that appetite in order to lose weight, you do not have the relevant experience to advise someone else who is in that situation. Never having had a problematic appetite in the first place makes you less qualified to advise, not more.

If I want advice on how to get back on a horse, I'm not going to ask someone who's never fallen off.

Personally, I would rather follow the lifestyle example of a fit person who never gained much weight in the first place rather than an "experienced" obese person.

I'd want to take lessons from someone who never "fell off the horse" so to speak. Hopefully then, I wouldn't fall off to begin with.

To point out, some of our most knowledgeable members on this board, and some of the most liked and linked threads on this board are all from former overweight people. Personally, i know a lot of ripped people that dont know anything and a lot of over weight people who know a ton. Hell half the people i have set up on plans and worked with them on training are more ripped than me. Apparently i am able to motivate others more than myself.

LOL we are our own worst enemy..

oie_METfS5NgVOAu_zps65f625a5.gif
  • DebSozo
    edited October 2016
    Options

My my...Aren't you a *kitten* ray of sunshine?
    The thing is, I ended up losing it and continue to lose weight. I guess I am too *kitten* stupid to even understand how I did that. Derp derp. Weight loss? What is weight loss?

I gained due to lifes hardship. Raped, hated, abused physically and emotionally, many close deaths, deep suicidal depression. I certainly am not stupid, and I certainly don't take BS. I am trying to live beyond my past.

Are you working with a therapist?
    I was. I edited my previous post to mention that I have learned to deal with my past. I am no longer that person and haven't been in a while. I'm losing weight, on meds, heavy lifting, jogging, have a lovely husband, have a vet degree and have caring people in my life.

I mentioned what I've been through as that was my personal downfall regarding my weight.

I am living my life and refuse to let the past bring me down. Its in the past for a reason. ;)

The windshield is bigger than the rearview mirror right?
    If counting calories doesn't stress you out, count calories.
    If you want to not have to count... read Georgie Fears book "Lean Habits"...

I ordered the Lean Habits (used $5 book) after reading the Amazon reviews and the chapter line up. I used to eat that way as a kid. I love not having to count, not eating snacks between meals, and relying instead on real hunger cues.