Question about all calories being equal

Options
123457»

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    96% of people who go on energy reduced programs will gain 3% weight back within a year of stopping the program. That's why diets typically don't work.

Ugh. I feel really bad for people who work so hard and then gain it all back. It must be heartbreaking. I wish that people weren't taught the wrong ways to lose weight.

I blame the internet.
    Too much information.
    Too many points of view.

When I initially lost my weight, I learned quickly that extreme calorie cutting wasn't right. Then critical thinking kicked in.

I went too extreme also, and it backfired. I'm happy that I was able to up my metabolism again. I was worried I had destroyed it for good.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    96% of people who go on energy reduced programs will gain 3% weight back within a year of stopping the program. That's why diets typically don't work.

Ugh. I feel really bad for people who work so hard and then gain it all back. It must be heartbreaking. I wish that people weren't taught the wrong ways to lose weight.

I blame the internet.
    Too much information.
    Too many points of view.

When I initially lost my weight, I learned quickly that extreme calorie cutting wasn't right. Then critical thinking kicked in.

I went too extreme also, and it backfired. I'm happy that I was able to up my metabolism again. I was worried I had destroyed it for good.

It takes time to get the right combination of exercise, sleep, and nutrition, to balance out life.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Is your friend overweight? (Or her "nutritionist?") If so, I wouldn't listen to a word she says.

If you're obese or overweight, count your calories and assume a calorie is a calorie.

Don't listen to fat people? lol - that's your advice. Note we can't see a picture of you so how do we know to trust what you say? ;) (Your post made me chuckle mate)

If people know what they're doing they wouldn't be fat. That would be my take on it.

I've lost 90+lbs. I am still fat. I guess I don't know what am doing or talking about when it comes to weight loss....

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't have gained 90lbs+

I will be sure to note this to Arnold the next time I see him...smh
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

This implies that there's a "right way" to lose weight. According to the National Weight Control Registry, this isn't the case. The registrants have lost weight in all sorts of ways, including those we on the boards routinely say won't work in the long run.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

For me and some of my friends we are self appointed experts at losing weight we've done it successfully so many times on so many different diets/lifestyle (low carb, low fat, high protein, no white foods, low calorie, no processed foods, vegetarian) eating a lot of the same eating styles promoted on this board.

It's the maintenance we never really got. I'm not sure why it never sunk in until one friend who's done pretty good maintaining on weight watchers said one day that she eats almost the same points (whatever that is I never did do ww)as when she was losing and a light bulb went off.

The sad fact is HOW to maintain weight isn't really a big part of the weight loss information/books out there. At least that is what it seemed to me.
  • Sherni823
    Sherni823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lol did she talk to a nutritionist or a dietician and in what setting? Nutritionists, by US standards, only need a few months of education if any at all...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

For me and some of my friends we are self appointed experts at losing weight we've done it successfully so many times on so many different diets/lifestyle (low carb, low fat, high protein, no white foods, low calorie, no processed foods, vegetarian) eating a lot of the same eating styles promoted on this board.

It's the maintenance we never really got. I'm not sure why it never sunk in until one friend who's done pretty good maintaining on weight watchers said one day that she eats almost the same points (whatever that is I never did do ww)as when she was losing and a light bulb went off.

The sad fact is HOW to maintain weight isn't really a big part of the weight loss information/books out there. At least that is what it seemed to me.

That's because repeat business makes money. Weight loss has become a commercial venture, and there's no money in teaching people to get it right the first time.

I tell all of my clients that they won't need me for a long time. Some learn what they need to then leave. Others use me for habit coaching or to work on psychological aspects. My two longest running clients always have new goals that are generative in nature.
  • New414
    New414 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've read on this forum many times, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Personally, if my carbs or fat totals are high, I don't lose, even with totals under 1200 calories per day. That's been my experience, if that helps at all.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

And anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. It's not a title that requires any specific education, training, or certification.

Hmm. While, yes, anyone can CALL themselves one, to BE one does require many years of school and practice. Much like anyone can be a "counselor" but it takes many years and residency-like practice to be a licensed, clinical counselor.

To be a nutritionist, you must:
    • Earn a bachelor's degree in clinical nutrition, food service systems management, dietetics, foods and nutrition, or a related field
    • Pass a competency exam
    • Complete a Dietetic Internship Program
    • Earn the RD or RDN credential
    • Earn a state license

http://www.schools.com/visuals/how-to-become-a-nutritionist.html

Just pulling a random Harvard employee who is a campus nutritionist, she has these ADDITIONAL qualifications to be relevant, so I imagine in such a competitive field this is run of the mill, depending on the specialty:
    • Certified/Licensed Registered Dietitian
    • NASM CPT Board Member, Massachusetts Dietetic Association
    • Member, SCAN (Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition) Dietary Practice Group
    • Member, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics;
    • Board Certified Sports Registered Dietitian
    https://huhs.harvard.edu/find-clinician/margaret-schrier-ms-rd

Don't be so quick to call all nutritionists quacks. They do a lot of good in educating the public about health and wellness, weight loss, and disease prevention. Theories are created and disputed at all times, the significance of calories and how our bodies really use food - macros/micros/metabolism - being one of them.

My advice is to not make it too complicated on yourself when you're first starting out, and try to eat as nutritious as possible while not restricting food groups too heavily (if at all!). Calories in vs calories out is a great start to lose weight. Then, once you've reached that point where you'd like to drill down and play with micros/macros and see how your body responds, awesome! You don't have to run out of the gate knowing how to do all these fancy bulks/cuts/body recomp/etc.

I think you're confusing registered dieticians and nutritionists.

In most states of the U.S., either you have to be an R.D. (registered dietician) to provide nutritional counseling, or anyone can provide nutritional counseling -- in either case, being a nutritionist or calling yourself a nutritionist has no bearing on whether you're allowed to provide nutritional counseling.

No doubt there are nutritionists who have had some education and offer sound advice. I would certainly ask for some proof of credentials from a nutritionist, and I would look for an R.D. if I wanted advice on my what I was eating.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

And anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. It's not a title that requires any specific education, training, or certification.

Hmm. While, yes, anyone can CALL themselves one, to BE one does require many years of school and practice. Much like anyone can be a "counselor" but it takes many years and residency-like practice to be a licensed, clinical counselor.

To be a nutritionist, you must:
    • Earn a bachelor's degree in clinical nutrition, food service systems management, dietetics, foods and nutrition, or a related field
    • Pass a competency exam
    • Complete a Dietetic Internship Program
    • Earn the RD or RDN credential
    • Earn a state license

http://www.schools.com/visuals/how-to-become-a-nutritionist.html

Just pulling a random Harvard employee who is a campus nutritionist, she has these ADDITIONAL qualifications to be relevant, so I imagine in such a competitive field this is run of the mill, depending on the specialty:
    • Certified/Licensed Registered Dietitian
    • NASM CPT Board Member, Massachusetts Dietetic Association
    • Member, SCAN (Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition) Dietary Practice Group
    • Member, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics;
    • Board Certified Sports Registered Dietitian
    https://huhs.harvard.edu/find-clinician/margaret-schrier-ms-rd

Don't be so quick to call all nutritionists quacks. They do a lot of good in educating the public about health and wellness, weight loss, and disease prevention. Theories are created and disputed at all times, the significance of calories and how our bodies really use food - macros/micros/metabolism - being one of them.

My advice is to not make it too complicated on yourself when you're first starting out, and try to eat as nutritious as possible while not restricting food groups too heavily (if at all!). Calories in vs calories out is a great start to lose weight. Then, once you've reached that point where you'd like to drill down and play with micros/macros and see how your body responds, awesome! You don't have to run out of the gate knowing how to do all these fancy bulks/cuts/body recomp/etc.

I think you're confusing registered dieticians and nutritionists.

In most states of the U.S., either you have to be an R.D. (registered dietician) to provide nutritional counseling, or anyone can provide nutritional counseling -- in either case, being a nutritionist or calling yourself a nutritionist has no bearing on whether you're allowed to provide nutritional counseling.

No doubt there are nutritionists who have had some education and offer sound advice. I would certainly ask for some proof of credentials from a nutritionist, and I would look for an R.D. if I wanted advice on my what I was eating.

you quoted this wrong you said to be a nutritionist,its to be an RD or RDN, the site you linked says this If you are interested in working as an RD or an RDN, the following are some of the steps you may have to take in order to qualify for the position:

Earn a bachelor's degree in clinical nutrition, food service systems management, dietetics, foods and nutrition, or a related field
    Pass a competency exam
    Complete a Dietetic Internship Program
    Earn the RD or RDN credential
    Earn a state license

this is what the difference is between a nutritionist and a dietitian-BIG difference
    http://eatrightdc.org/dietitian-vs-nutritionist/
    it says some nutritionists may have degrees but they are more of a nutritions and food scientist.