191011121315»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    What the hell did I just read?... O.o
    ...yous guys. lol

entertainment value on this keeps going up.. I have been eating tubs of popcorn.. :)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    furry180 wrote: »
    kmlcxjba5nuz.jpg

tell him for some people, 'complete abstinence is better then perfect moderation' (at least in beginning)

th?id=OIP.M4f7bdbc036dd1e20c440d744f0d31ce4o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=234&h=157

Work smarter, not harder
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Can we get back to heroine addiction?

Well, here's the Charles the Dauphin on Joan of Arc:

"Whoe'er helps thee, 'tis thou that must help me:
    Impatiently I burn with thy desire;
    My heart and hands thou hast at once subdued.
    Excellent Pucelle, if thy name be so,
    Let me thy servant and not sovereign be:
    'Tis the French Dauphin sueth to thee thus."
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I get things like that, I hurriedly pass them off to others or the kids, however, I wouldn't worry about a birthday tea excess day. I just move on the next day and don't feel guilty now, as birthdays are pretty rare.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    It really gets me when people say "have willpower". It is called an ADDICTION for a reason. People who can avoid things with sure will power are not addicted to them. An addict literally can NOT say no. I know this from personal experience. I can NOT say no to certain foods. Then I might cry after and feel awful, but I still couldn't say no. Hell, I might cry during. This is why they have rehab for drug addicts - because they need to be locked away from the drugs for a period of time so they can be used to living without it and THEN get the willpower. Science has shown that some foods can be the same way for certain people and our bodies can react as some people react to drugs. The abstinence comes BEFORE the willpower. It works the same with food addicts - this is why some people go to inpatient weight loss facilities. It does NOT mean she will fail long term. This just means that, for now, she needs the people around her to respect that she is dieting and try not to tempt her so she can get used to not having the addictions for a while before she is exposed to them again.

Also, OP, explain that you understand he was being sweet, but please stick to gifts that are not edible. Tell him that maybe he loves you the way you are, but you want to love yourself and feel healthier, so you need his support and understanding, but you do appreciate him thinking of you.

No one is born with willpower. There are those who work hard to get to that stage. The fail, get back up, evaluate where they went wrong, create plans to rectify the situation and try again.

Then there are those who would rather not do anything about it, and whine and complain. They don't earn from their mistakes, either and just blame whatever there is to blame instead of correcting the issue themselves.

Seems to me like some of the people who "work hard" for their will power get jealous of some will powerless people who accomplish their goals without developing or flexing their will power muscles. There's multiple ways to skin a cat. Will power the way you define it is not necessary to lose weight. Consuming fewer calories than your body burns, is.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    It really gets me when people say "have willpower". It is called an ADDICTION for a reason. People who can avoid things with sure will power are not addicted to them. An addict literally can NOT say no. I know this from personal experience. I can NOT say no to certain foods. Then I might cry after and feel awful, but I still couldn't say no. Hell, I might cry during. This is why they have rehab for drug addicts - because they need to be locked away from the drugs for a period of time so they can be used to living without it and THEN get the willpower. Science has shown that some foods can be the same way for certain people and our bodies can react as some people react to drugs. The abstinence comes BEFORE the willpower. It works the same with food addicts - this is why some people go to inpatient weight loss facilities. It does NOT mean she will fail long term. This just means that, for now, she needs the people around her to respect that she is dieting and try not to tempt her so she can get used to not having the addictions for a while before she is exposed to them again.

Also, OP, explain that you understand he was being sweet, but please stick to gifts that are not edible. Tell him that maybe he loves you the way you are, but you want to love yourself and feel healthier, so you need his support and understanding, but you do appreciate him thinking of you.

No one is born with willpower. There are those who work hard to get to that stage. The fail, get back up, evaluate where they went wrong, create plans to rectify the situation and try again.

Then there are those who would rather not do anything about it, and whine and complain. They don't earn from their mistakes, either and just blame whatever there is to blame instead of correcting the issue themselves.

Seems to me like some of the people who "work hard" for their will power get jealous of some will powerless people who accomplish their goals without developing or flexing their will power muscles. There's multiple ways to skin a cat. Will power the way you define it is not necessary to lose weight. Consuming fewer calories than your body burns, is.

It's great when it comes naturally. I had to use willpower on high carb and hardly think about food on low carb. It can be situational.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

That's not the issue at all. We are annoyed at those who use it as an excuse and blame everyone around them.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    People make decisions to eat certain foods, the foods don't make those decisions. Don't give food your power.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

That's not the issue at all. We are annoyed at those who use it as an excuse and blame everyone around them.

Well, good luck with that. :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Well, good luck with that. :)

Since I don't blame others I'm doing fine thank you :)
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Guerdi wrote: »
    Girl, just say NO!! That's called sabotage! Maybe he thinks if you lose weight you will not want him anymore - try to encourage him and let him know this will give you "more energy" to enjoy him even more....he'll like that!!

We were talking about this same thing in my diabetes support group today. You can't expect people to read your mind about what you need. Have a candid conversation with your hubby.

Mitey Me. It's been two weeks. Does your husband know you're trying to lose weight? Sit him down and just explain how he can help your efforts.