Two questions about McDonald's - (real food? burger meat?)

Options
14567810»

Replies

• norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    From McDonald's website (in re. their cheeseburgers):

"A juicy 100% beef patty simply seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper, melty American cheese, tangy pickles, minced onions, ketchup and mustard."

McDonald’s and several other chains recently stopped using the “pink slime” in their beef, but the majority of fast food beef comes from concentrated agricultural feeding operation (CAFO) cows. So, it's not so much what goes into the beef patty that's at issue, but what goes into these industrial grade cows.

^^THIS^^

I haven't had it in at least 5 years. Not saying that I'll never eat McD's again though...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    From McDonald's website (in re. their cheeseburgers):

"A juicy 100% beef patty simply seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper, melty American cheese, tangy pickles, minced onions, ketchup and mustard."

McDonald’s and several other chains recently stopped using the “pink slime” in their beef, but the majority of fast food beef comes from concentrated agricultural feeding operation (CAFO) cows. So, it's not so much what goes into the beef patty that's at issue, but what goes into these industrial grade cows.

^^THIS^^

I haven't had it in at least 5 years. Not saying that I'll never eat McD's again though...

^ That's what real toxins do. The scaremongering by a group of Americans and other Westerners who live posh lives and complain about their food not being safe enough for their precious little selves is beyond ridiculous.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Wow this is just one of those discussion you just dont want to get involed in, oh.......
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I actually know, with 100% certainty, where their meat comes from.

It comes from old dairy cows who can't produce milk anymore.

Just as a point of reference...steaks are from young healthy animals.

Tons of ignorance on this thread
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I actually know, with 100% certainty, where their meat comes from.

It comes from old dairy cows who can't produce milk anymore.

Just as a point of reference...steaks are from young healthy animals.

Tons of ignorance on this thread

I assume this post was a joke, with the last line the punchline...?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    really? more of the antibiotics in the whole world go right into animals.

the human population uses less than 10% of the antibotics in the world. the rest goes right into the food we eat.

Yeah? And? Can you actually establish that a Quarter Pounder has detectable levels of antibiotics in it?

most definitely. it’s just math. one you learn the animal agriculture practices of south America you could find out how much antibiotic a cow (for example) received over the course of its lifetime(not very long). then you can figure out what the average yield would be for a typical cow. and that’s how you would know how much antibiotic or hormone is in each pound of meat.
    divide by 4
    there’s your quarter pounder. keep in mind that’s just gonna be one.. some people eat multiple QP's and that hormone / antibiotic is multiplied.

Ooops!

You forgot to factor in the half-life of the antibiotics. It's a simple thing we learn in algebra. OK, a little harder, because they receive more than one dose. So you have to figure how much is actually left in the cow, and where it is (I'm not a biologist, so I don't know concentration level gradients in different types of tissue/organ for antibiotics) to determine what amount is in the muscle tissue. Then you can determine how much muscle tissue there is on an average beef cow - ie how much meat - and then start doing the dividing. Not quite as simple of math.

I would honestly be curious to know the actual amount found in 1/4 pound of beef.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    http://www.pnas.org/content/99/9/6434.short

animal antibiotics contributing to antibiotic resistance in humans?
    no. way.

"Antibiotic use is known to promote the development of antibiotic resistance, but substantial controversy exists about the impact of agricultural antibiotic use (AAU) on the subsequent emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria among humans."

The first line of the abstract. I really didnt need to read further.

Considering the first sentence of an abstract is used to explain why the current study needs to be performed (lack of previously known information or conflicting results) I would imagine you've never read a scientific article. Congrats on giving up and living in your bubble.

I also love the fact that the McDonalds Director for Quality Control's last name is Bacon.

Also, I'm slightly concerned that the McDonald's fries and burger went rather stale before rotting or molding. However, I'm pretty sure that makes it *clean*.

Truth is i havent read many. And I did read the rest of it. It was over my head as I only have a third grade education. But you seem pretty awesome. Not giving up anything and i certainly dont live in a bubble, I also dont let fear and UNKNOWN things control me. And I love the fact that you are condecending and make fun of people and their names that you dont know at all. Well done!!! keep up the good work supporting your cult...er... I mean cause.

I actually do love that his name is Bacon. Makes me sad that more of their products don't have bacon on them.

And yes, I was too snippy regarding your post. Just frustrating when too many people read one sentence and make up their minds without taking the time to read what it says (even worse when just reading the title). People tend to throw around science articles all the time, and it seems like no one takes the time to read them (and often the person posting them).
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    http://www.pnas.org/content/99/9/6434.short

animal antibiotics contributing to antibiotic resistance in humans?
    no. way.

"Antibiotic use is known to promote the development of antibiotic resistance, but substantial controversy exists about the impact of agricultural antibiotic use (AAU) on the subsequent emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria among humans."

The first line of the abstract. I really didnt need to read further.

Considering the first sentence of an abstract is used to explain why the current study needs to be performed (lack of previously known information or conflicting results) I would imagine you've never read a scientific article. Congrats on giving up and living in your bubble.

I also love the fact that the McDonalds Director for Quality Control's last name is Bacon.

Also, I'm slightly concerned that the McDonald's fries and burger went rather stale before rotting or molding. However, I'm pretty sure that makes it *clean*.

ETA: The article is a mathematical model in which one of the assumptions of the equations is that animal antibiotic use *does* impact antibiotic resistance in humans. If you assume it doesn't the equation used is not longer valid. So they proved their point by stacking the deck. And when you read the discussion you realize that essentially the model is detecting a correlation between increase in antibiotic resistance and use of antibiotics in animals. They then admit that correlation is not causation, even in an imaginary mathematical model.

Thank you for the additional edit. I just looked of the article and was going to say the same thing. But I think you summed it up better than I would have.

They also said that most times that AR bacteria exist in humans, it is a transitory population (in other words, doesn't last very long).

It does indicate that there is a cause for looking into the issue further. This article is a decade old … I wonder if anything else has been done?
  • DestinyShlagel
    Options
    pink slime and chicken litter - ( processed manure fed to other animals it saves them money .) their meat is all factory farmed grown meat...
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    The beef is irradiated and can still be washed with ammonia. They have e coli issues, because of the sheer volume and how many hands the patty's go through to get to the consumer. They have to be sure there is no bacteria on the meat.

e-coli from hands?? The hands are more likely to get e-coli from the beef.

there are strains of e-coli that live in peoples' guts. they get on the beef when people don't wash their hands carefully after using the toilet. Sometimes it can come from the cow itself. But usually it's from human contamination. That's why people who handle food should wear gloves, hair nets and be meticulous about personal hygiene.

Actually...
    It's more likely because of the slaughtering process. When cows are slaughtered, the E. coli bacteria in their intestines can get on the meat. This may happen at the time where they make the incision to open up and clean out the internal organs. Sometimes the intestines/stomach can rupture or be cut by the knife.
    Ground beef combines meat trimmings from many different carcasses, which in turn increases the risk of contamination.
    Hence why they recommend cooking ground beef thoroughly as opposed to steaks.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    pink slime and chicken litter - ( processed manure fed to other animals it saves them money .) their meat is all factory farmed grown meat...

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

*sigh*

I just...

...I can't...

...fine. You win. Everyone who believes there is "pink slime" in McDonald's...or even that "pink slime" = "obvious clearly bad for you"...you win.

ETA: And especially those of you who continue to eat your grocery store/CAFO beef raised in identical environment as the McDonald's beef (and possibly from the same ranchers) while calling the McDonald's food "junk" and "garbage"...you win even more.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Greasy, salty deliciousness.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The beef is irradiated and can still be washed with ammonia. They have e coli issues, because of the sheer volume and how many hands the patty's go through to get to the consumer. They have to be sure there is no bacteria on the meat.

e-coli from hands?? The hands are more likely to get e-coli from the beef.

there are strains of e-coli that live in peoples' guts. they get on the beef when people don't wash their hands carefully after using the toilet. Sometimes it can come from the cow itself. But usually it's from human contamination. That's why people who handle food should wear gloves, hair nets and be meticulous about personal hygiene.

Actually...
    It's more likely because of the slaughtering process. When cows are slaughtered, the E. coli bacteria in their intestines can get on the meat. This may happen at the time where they make the incision to open up and clean out the internal organs. Sometimes the intestines/stomach can rupture or be cut by the knife.
    Ground beef combines meat trimmings from many different carcasses, which in turn increases the risk of contamination.
    Hence why they recommend cooking ground beef thoroughly as opposed to steaks.
    With ground beef, it's not the number of carcasses that increases risk of contamination. When e. coli gets on a cut of beef, it's on the outside only. So a quick sear in a hot pan (or grill) will essentially kill it instantly, leaving the rest uncontaminated to cook to whatever temperature you want with no fear (even raw in the middle.) When you grind beef, the outside part gets mixed into the mixture, which can spread the bacteria throughout, which is why it's recommended to be cooked thoroughly.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So...

...did we ever get a definitive answer to the original questions?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So...

...did we ever get a definitive answer to the original questions?
    I think the fact that you could eat nothing but McDonald's for the rest of your life and not die of malnutrition means it is, in fact, real food.